Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
AMASA S. LINDSAY is one of the
veteran newspaper editors and publishers in Washington, at present of the
firm of Lindsay & Spencer, proprietors of the Wenatchee Advance,
Wenatchee, Chelan county. Since the close of the Rebellion, in which
he played an active and important part, he has been engaged in the newspaper
business almost exclusively.
He was born at Harper's Ferry, West Virginia,
November 4, 1842, the son of Samuel and Eleanor (Rohr) Lindsay. The
father was descended from one of the old, prominent and influential Maryland
families, in which state he was born. He died in Geneseo, Illinois,
in 1862. The mother was a native of Pennsylvania, of Dutch ancestry.
She passed away in 1851.
Until the age of eleven years our subject
was reared in West Virginia, removing thence to Indiana and later to Illinois.
Although a Southerner by birth he was among the earliest to attest his
patriotism by enlistment in the Civil war, and on April 1, 1861, he joined
Company D, Twenty-first Illinois Infantry, then commanded by Colonel, afterwards
General Ulysses S. Grant. He re-enlisted and served until the close
of the war. In 1866 he engaged in the newspaper business in Illinois,
Tuscola Journal which he successfully conducted for
ten years. It was Republican in politics and the official paper of
Douglas county. The Journal, Worthington, Minnesota, was his
next venture, in which he engaged in 1877, at first purchasing a half interest,
and subsequently taking over the whole property. Three years later
he removed to Kansas and purchased an interest in the Anthony Republican,
later securing control of the same. He served as postmaster of Anthony
from 1882 until 1886. In the latter year he removed to Escondido,
San Diego county California, where in partnership with another man, he
established the Times, which they conducted until 1892, when Mr.
Lindsay came to Lakeside, Chelan county, then Okanogan, and put the Lake
Chelan Eagle on its feet. This was discontinued at the close
of the first year, and the plant moved to Leavenworth, Washington, where
our subject established the Leavenworth Journal, conducting the
same five years. On September 8, 1898, he issued the first number
of the Wenatchee Republican,
which he disposed of in 1901.
One year later, in company with Martin P. Spencer, he bought the plant
and good will of the Wenatchee Advance from Fred Reeves, with which
journal he is now associated.
Mr. Lindsay is an earnest and influential
worker in the interest of the Republican party, and has been selected as
a delegate to every Republican state convention since he first came to
the state of Washington. Until January, 1903, he served as clerk
of Chelan county.
Our subject has two brothers, Ambrose W. and
Ellis T., residents of Dupont, Indiana. Fraternally he is a member
of Riverside Lodge No. 112, A. F. & A. M., and Chapter No. 22, R. A.
M., Wenatchee, Washington.
Mr. Lindsay owns a neat and commodious cottage
residence on Wenatchee avenue, near the court house.