Sandersw  
 
 

Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.


     WILLIAM L. SANDERS is operating a dairy farm about two miles west of Lakeside and is one of the prosperous men of the Chelan country He was one of the earliest settlers of the Chelan district, and has been closely connected with the settlement and development of the county, ever laboring with a strong hand and wise counsel for general upbuilding and improvement.
     William L. Sanders was born in Iowa on November 23, 1861, the son of Dexter D. and Irene (Brunson) Sanders, natives of New York and Vermont, respectively, and now living at Red Oak, Iowa, retired from active life.  They are both descendants of prominent American families, and the father's father was a patriot of the War of 1812. The first eighteen years of our subject's life were spent in Iowa, three years in Fayette, and then fifteen in Montgomery county.  After he graduated from the high school at Red Oak, he took up mining in Colorado.  Next we see him logging in the vicinity of Seattle, after which he went to Walla Walla and harvested through the Palouse country and then started to Lake Coeur d' Alene.  He prospected on the south fork of the Coeur d' Alene river part of the summer, and was not successful.  Then he spent some time prospecting in the Pend Oreille Lake country.  In July, 1884, he went to the Columbia river below the mouth of the Spokane, and securing a skiff made of three boards, began a voyage on that mighty stream.  Utterly oblivious of the dangers that awaited him on the jagged rocks and rapids, he finally came to the ferry of Wild Goose Bill, a noted character of the Columbia valley.  This enterprising pioneer not wanting any assistance, Mr. Sanders again took to his frail craft and that night slept under a choke cherry tree, which fruit supplied his supper and breakfast.  The next day he spied a little tent upon the bank, and, upon rowing thither, found Henry Dumke engaged in placer mining.  Mr. Dumke proposed a partnership right away, and Mr. Sanders gave him two dollars and ninety-five cents, his total cash capital, for half interest in the "grub stake." They worked faithfully for two weeks, then cleaned up fifty cents.  Not being impressed with this method of making money, they gathered their outfit together, and started down the river, having one cayuse as a pack animal.  At the mouth of the Okanogan they tried to get the Indians to ferry them across, but their charges were seven dollars and fifty cents, which was seven dollars more than the total cash of our travelers.  Mr. Dumke argued and offered them their gold dust and a gallon of syrup and a two gallon camp kettle but the Indians were obdurate.  While Mr. Dumke was eloquently arguing his side of the case, the Indian and squaw who had paddled across to them became indignant and walked away.  Mr. Sanders plunged a stick in the can of syrup and drew it across the lips of the squaw while he held her.  As soon as she began to taste the treacle, she cried," Kloshe," "Kloshe," (good, good).  The deal was closed, and our pilgrims were soon on the north side of the Columbia.  They wandered through the Okanogan country, crossed the Methow, and from the top of the divide west of Lake Chelan, discovered that body of water about forty miles from the foot of the lake.  The men started down the canyon towards the lake, and while enroute, the unfortunate cayuse fell over a precipice, and his name, Prince, is the name of the canyon to this day.  Arriving at the lake they made canoes, paddled down to the foot and located on Mr. Sanders' present home in August, 1884.  They did work for the Indians down by the Entiat and secured food for winter, which both spent on the banks of Lake Chelan.  Mr. Dumke built a sawmill on the edge of the lake at Dumke's Falls and later became discouraged and left the country.  Our subject stayed on his present place, proved up, then for a decade went mining in various sections of the county and in 1900 came back to Chelan and started his present business.  Mr. Sanders has two brothers and four sisters: Julius M., Robert B., Ida Harrett, Minnie M., Alice C., and Jennie M.
     On July 6, 1898, at Seattle, Mr. Sanders married Mrs. Nellie J. Olcott (Neeley) Hamilton.  Her parents were George and Maria (Martin) Hamilton.  One child, Tracy, was born to Mrs. Sanders by her former marriage.  Mr. Sanders is a very stanch Republican and a man of advanced and progressive ideas.