Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JOHN WALSH, of Chelan, Chelan
county, first came into the lake country as early as 1886, in company with
Judge Navarre, David Correll and Archibald Libby. He was born in
Livingston county, New York, April 23, 1855, the son of Michael and Catherine
(Barrett) Walsh, natives of Ireland. When nineteen years of age Michael
Walsh came to this country and located in Geneseo, New York, as a farmer,
where he still resides. He served in the federal forces during the
Civil war, and was wounded on the famous "March to the Sea," while with
General Sherman. The mother, Catherine, came to the United States
accompanied by two sisters two years after the arrival of her future husband.
They were married at Geneseo. She died in the fall of 1889.
Until 1880 our subject remained on the farm
in New York, and that year he went to Michigan, worked in the woods, and
the following spring went to Denver, Colorado, where he hauled brick for
"Brick" Pomeroy's new house and barn. In 1883 he came to Washington,
at first to Yakima, and located a timber claim which he was compelled to
abandon on account of a scarcity of water. On coming to the lake
country he first located on the Douglas county side of the river, nearly
opposite Chelan Landing, and here he began raising stock, continuing the
business profitably for six years. He then came to Chelan and, in
1892, engaged in the saloon business, selling out the same later.
Mr. Walsh owns a half section of land, devoted to wheat, five miles from
Waterville, which he rents. He and wife own timber claims four miles
south of the lake, aside from a fine home in Chelan. He has four
brothers, Frank, a Douglas county farmer; Richard, of Chicago; Timothy,
of Buffalo, New York; and Thomas of North Bloomfield, New York. His
three sisters are Nancy, wife of Michael McCarty; Margaret and Mary, single,
residing in the old home.
Our subject was married, August 22, 1889,
at North Yakima, to Bridget Jordan, a native of Ireland. Her father,
James, is dead. The mother, Mary (Huvan) Jordan, came to the United
States bringing six children, and remained in New York city ten years.
She now lives with a son, Patrick, at North Yakima. Mrs. Walsh has
three brothers, Patrick, Augustine and James; and one sister, Mary, residing
at Spokane, Washington. Mr. Walsh and wife are members of the Roman
Catholic church. Politically he is a Democrat, active and stanch,
and has frequently served as delegate to county conventions. They
have six children, John R., Mary C., Ruth A., Matthew F., Helen E. and
Joseph C. G.