Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The
Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties,
State of Washington", published by Western Historical Publishing
EDGAR M. BOGART has won distinction
in various lines in Douglas county. He owns a half section of fertile
land near St. Andrews, which is all cropped to small grain and well improved
with good residence, barns, and other buildings. In addition to overseeing
this, Mr. Bogart has taught in various places in the county and for three
years was principal of the Wilbur schools. In 1892, he was elected
county superintendent of schools here. His name was on the Peoples
Party ticket and he gave a fine administration, continuing until 1895.
In 1900, Mr. Bogart was elected county treasurer, his name appearing on
the Fusion ticket. He fulfilled the duties of the office in a good
manner and to the entire satisfaction of all.
Edgar M. Bogart was born in Johnson county,
Indiana, on November 17, 1859, the son of William T., and Hannah J. (Smock)
Bogart, natives of Kentucky and Indiana, respectively. The other
children of this family are Joseph W., Morton A., Lorin E., and Mrs. Mary
D. Pope. After our subject had completed the common school course
of Pottawattamie county, Iowa, he took a course in the Omaha Business College.
Later he studied in a private academy. He then resumed teaching and
in 1884 settled in Wayne county, Nebraska and taught until 1888.
Then he removed to Douglas county and pre-empted a quarter and took a timber
culture claim. Since then he has been active here as stated above
and is now one of the leading citizens of the county.
At Avoca, Iowa, on August 23, 1881, Mr. Bogart
married Miss Ada A., daughter of James A. and Martha (Adkisson) Sinclair,
who were born in Indiana and Kentucky, respectively. The parents
were pioneers to Iowa and later came west to Douglas county. Mrs.
Bogart was born in Pottawattamie county, Iowa, on January 13, 1861 and
has three brothers and two sisters, James L., Frank E., Foy W., Mrs. Cora
A. Palmer, and Mrs. Emma M. Randall. Three children have been born
to Mr. and Mrs. Bogart; Wendell D., on May 12, 1883; Adella M., on November
6, 1889; Bertha A., on July 29, 1891. The first one is a native of
Iowa and the latter two of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Bogart are active
members of the Presbyterian church and have exerted a wide influence for
good. He is considered not only one of the leading business men of
the county but one of the best educators in this part of the state.