Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",  published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.

     JOSEPH BOUSKA, who is now conducting a mercantile establishment in Bridgeport, has spent a very active career thus far in his life as will be noticed by the following.  He was born in Bohemia, on September 12, 1856, the son of Karel and Barbara (Benesh) Bouska, natives of Bohemia.  The father was a weaver by trade.  Our subject was educated in the common schools and in the parochial schools of the Catholic church in the village of Hlinsko.  In 1866, he came with his parents to the United States, the family settling near Racine, Wisconsin.  For three years he attended the common schools in Racine and then began to learn the trade of the miller, at Union Grove, James J. Jones, being his superior in this business.  Later, he went to Kewaunee, Wisconsin, and then engaged with his uncle in the mill business for seven years.  In 1879, he journeyed to Oregon City, Oregon and operated for the Portland flour milling company for five years.  After that he came to Cheney and engaged with ex-Governor George E. Cole as head miller of the Cheney flour mill.  Two years later, we find him in Pine City, Washington, as lessee of the mill owned by A. J. Smith, which he operated for one year.  He handled other mills in the vicinity and later came to Sprague in the same business.  It was 1888, that he was appointed head miller and sawyer at the Nespelim Indian sub-agency and had charge for three and one half years, resigning at the election of Cleveland.  After that Mr. Bouska, went to Ritzville and took an interest in the milling plant owned by J. G. Stevens, Adams Company Bank, and W. E. Blackmer, where he remained for one and one-half years.  Selling out, he came to Bridgeport and operated a flour mill there for seven years.  In 1901, he resigned his position and moved to his ranch near Port Columbia.  Later, he sold this property and removed to Bridgeport where he opened a general merchandise establishment also handling furniture and undertaking goods.  He is doing a good business and is one of the leading men in the town of Bridgeport.  Mr. Bouska has two sisters, Mrs.  Annie Pulda and Mrs. Kate B. Phillips.
     At Kewaunee, Wisconsin, on May 7, 1878, occurred the marriage of Mr. Bouska and Mary J. Walender.  Her father was Joseph Walender, a native of Austria.  He now lives in Calmar, Iowa.  Mrs. Bouska was born in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, on January 9, 1856, and has one brother, Dr. Joseph Walender, and three sisters, Mrs. Pauline Scotland, Mrs. Gussie Henderson and Mrs. Lizzie Patnand.  To Mr. and Mrs. Bouska two children have been born; Blanche A., in 1881, at Oregon City; and Joseph W., on January 10, 1887, now living at Bridgeport, Douglas county.
     Mr. Bouska is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the A. F. & A. M.  He was raised under the influence of the Roman Catholic church, but he and his wife are now members of the Christian Catholic church of Zion City, Illinois.