Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The
Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties,
State of Washington", published by Western Historical Publishing
SILAS W. CURRIER is one of the
prosperous residents of Douglas county. He and his sons handle an
estate of seven hundred and twenty acres, situated about five miles southwest
from Farmer. Part of the same he secured through homestead and pre-emption
rights and the balance by purchase. Mr. Currier was induced to came
to this country owing to the ill health of some members of his family and
he moved here in 1891. Since that time he has been actively engaged
in building up and handling his estate and raising fine stock. He
introduced the Hereford cattle to this region and now has some registered
animals second to none in the county. He also has some very fine
registered Poland-China hogs and he gives especial attention to breeding
cattle and hogs.
Silas W. Currier was born in Lockport, New
York, on November 1, 1833. His father was Philo C., a native of Vermont
and from Scotch ancestry. The mother's maiden name was Almira Smart
and she was born in Minnesota. The family early moved to Ohio where
Silas was educated and remained for seventeen years. In 1850, he
moved to Michigan, settling in Shiawasse county, where he engaged in farming
for forty years. Nothing but the ill health of some of the family
led him from that old home place, but after he became located in Douglas
county he was convinced that there was no section which surpassed it.
The brothers and sisters of our subject are named as follows: Francis S.,
J. W., David R., Mrs. Felena J. Parks and Mrs. Carrie Tagart.
At Owosso, Michigan, on July 15, 1858, Mr.
Currier married Miss Emily M., daughter of Jesse G. and Phoebe (Burlingame)
Hanford, natives of Vermont. Mrs. Currier was born in Vermont, on
December 31, 1833, and had two brothers, Sylvester and James G. To
Mr. and Mrs. Currier, the following children have been born, Justie M.,
deceased, Willard H., Guy W., and Jessie G., wife of G. W. Brownfield,
residing in Waterville. On June 13, 1903, Mr. Currier was called
to mourn the departure of his beloved helpmeet, who crossed the river of
death at that time. She was a good woman, well known and esteemed
In 1862, Mr. Currier enlisted in Company G,
Third Michigan Cavalry, under Captain Quackenbush and Colonel Menten and
fought as a member of the army of the Mississippi, under General Grant.
He took part in all the active services from the time of his enlistment
until the end of the war, being mustered out at Baton Rouge, Louisiana,
after devoting three years in active service. He was taken prisoner
at Lagrange, Tennessee, in 1863, but was exchanged in two weeks and sent
back to his regiment.
Mr. Currier is a member of the Royal Templars
and also of the Methodist church, of which latter he is steward.