Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The
Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties,
State of Washington", published by Western Historical Publishing
JOHN FRANKLIN HARRIS, M. D.,
who is proprietor of the drug store in Hartline is also at the head of
a large practice of medicine in and around the same town. His equipment
for this profession is as good as money can buy and his library is as fine
as there is in eastern Washington. Dr. Harris has met with excellent
success in his profession, owing to his skill and erudition as a physician.
His standing in the community is of the best and the confidence inspired
by his uprightness and ability is widespread.
J. F. Harris was born in Bloomfield, Iowa,
on April 1, 1853, being the son of John Q. and Emmeline (Shelton) Harris,
natives of Indiana and Ohio, respectively. The parents were pioneers
to Iowa and the father was a member of the Second Missouri State Militia
and also served three years and four months during the war of the Rebellion.
Our subject received his literary training in Missouri and then entered
the American Medical College in St. Louis, graduating in 1882 and being
one of four to receive honorable mention out of a large class. Immediately
subsequent to receiving his degree, he began the practice of medicine in
Mercerville, Missouri. One year later, he went to Goldsberry of the
same state. In 1890, Dr. Harris sought larger fields in the west
and came to Washington. For three years he practiced at Medical Lake,
then went to Harrington. Later, we find him in Northport, Stevens
county, where he followed his profession for five years. He was a
member of the first city council of that town and the second mayor elected.
In 1901, Dr. Harris came to Hartline, opened a drug store and began the
practice of medicine. Since that time, he has been closely identified
with the interests of the town and gained in addition to a large practice,
an excellent patronage in his store. He has also been a foremost
man in every effort and movement to build up the country. His store
is well stocked with a choice selection of drugs and sudries and is a first
class establishment. Dr. Harris is now coroner of Douglas county,
having been elected on the Republican ticket against P. J. Fresinger, of
Waterville. Our subject is one of five children, the other four being
mentioned as follows, James W., Mrs. Laura Boyles, Mrs. William Easley,
and Mrs. William Wright.
At Macon, Missouri, in 1872, Dr. Harris married
Mary B., the daughter of William and Matilda (Gunnells) Griffin, natives
of Kentucky. To this union the following children were born, Wilbur
A., Oma E., E. Verna, who died at Harrington, Lucretia, who died when an
infant, and Otha W. The latter was born in Washington and the other
four first saw the light in Missouri. Dr. Harris is a prominent man
in fraternal circles, being a member of the A. F. & A. M., of the I.
O. O. F., having passed all the chairs in this latter order, the Maccabees,
the W. W., and the Foresters.
He is a substantial, progressive and leading
man, and has won the esteem and confidence of all, being known as one of
the influential men of the county.