Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The
Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties,
State of Washington", published by Western Historical Publishing
THOMAS P. HOPP is a pioneer merchant
of Bridgeport, Washington, where he still conducts a large establishment,
carrying general merchandise, agricultural implements, and buying grain.
He commenced here in a very small way, selling goods on commission, adding
to his greatly increasing trade until his present large holdings have been
acquired and he has also won the respect and esteem of all who know him.
Thomas P. Hopp was born in Clayton county,
Iowa, on January 20, 1863. His father, John F. Hopp, was a native
of Germany and a pioneer settler in Iowa, in 1845. He served three
years in Company F., Twenty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry during the
Rebellion and is now a member of the G. A. R. The mother of our subject,
Sarah (Ganby) Hopp, was a native of Pennsylvania. Thomas was educated
in the common schools and completed his training in the Iowa University,
then learned the creamery business and the printer's trade. In 1881,
being just eighteen years of age, he went to South Dakota and engaged in
the newspaper business for several years. During this time he established
four papers, all of which are thriving to-day and among them may be mentioned
the Medicine Valley Times. In 1888, he came to Washington
and during the succeeding few years, he established the first Union City
paper, the Globe at Marysville, and The Bridgeport Standard.
Later, from 1888 to 1892, he was special agent of the United States treasury,
located at Whatcom, and during this time seized large amounts of opium.
In February, 1893, he came to Bridgeport and started the newspaper mentioned
above, and in 1898 opened a mercantile establishment in a small way, as
stated previously. He also in addition to his business, owns a good
farm and does general farming and stock raising. He was postmaster
here for four years and in 1903 was appointed United States commissioner
by Judge Hanford. He was appointed notary public under Governors
McGraw and Rogers. Mr. Hopp has a well assorted stock of merchandise,
and his store is well patronized by all. His uniform and upright
methods of doing business and his geniality to all have won and improved
this excellent patronage.
Mr. Hopp has the following brothers and sisters,
George W., John, Jacob W., Henry, and Mrs. Mary A. Willerton.
In Clark, South Dakota, in November, 1890,
Mr. Hopp married Miss Abbie M. Stillwell. Her father, Edward C. Stillwell,
was a native of Indiana and served in the Rebellion. He now belongs
to the G. A. R. and is doing a mercantile business. Mrs. Hopp was
born in Ohio, on December 28, 1873, and has one brother, Newton E., and
one sister, Mrs. Maude E. Crosby. To this couple six children have
been born, F. Roscoe, Dora L., Grace E., Maude M., Arthur G., and Alva
Mr. Hopp is a member of the M. W. A., and
the I. O. O. F., and was raised under the influence of the Lutheran church.