Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",  published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.

     HENRY LIETZOW, deceased.  It is very fitting that we incorporate in this volume memoirs of the well known gentleman whose name appears above.  For many years, he labored in the Big Bend with a good degree of success and also won hosts of friends wherever he was known.  His death was very sudden and his departure was mourned universally.  Henry Lietzow was born in Pommern, Prussia, on February 4, 1862, the son of William and Teresa (Bartelt) Lietzow, natives of Germany.  The father died in Spokane in 1897 and the mother now lives near that city.  Our subject was educated in the high schools of Germany, then learned the miller's trade.  After arriving at manhood's estate, he served three years in the German army, being in the Second Grenadiers, under General Waldow.  He was both drill and swimming master, while in the army.  In 1886, Mr. Lietzow came to the United States and settled at Latah, where he was occupied with A. Wheeler in the flour mill.  Two years later, he moved to Douglas county and took a pre-emption, and then a homestead about two miles north from Hartline.  He gave his attention to general farming and stock raising and owned a nice stock of graded horses and cattle.  Mr. Lietzow had one sister, Mrs. Fred Jurgins and one brother, Paul.
     On February 18, 1886, in Germany, Mr. Lietzow married Miss Martha, daughter of Frederick W. and Amelia (Falbe) Beyer, natives of Germany.  Mrs. Lietzow was born in Germany on March 12, 1861 and has one brother, Paul.  To this union three children were born, Elsie D. F., Emma M., Harry Fred,
     Mr. Lietzow was a member of the Maccabees, while he and his wife were adherents of the Lutheran church.
On December 16th, while returning from Hartline, Mr. Lietzow was injured by the fall of his horse.  He was immediately taken to the Sacred Heart Hospital in Spokane for treatment, but despite all that could be done, he passed away on the 19th, three days after his injury.  His remains were brought to Hartline where they were interred with proper ceremony.