Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The
Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties,
State of Washington", published by Western Historical Publishing
GEORGE M. McDONALD has won a
brilliant success in the mercantile world in Douglas county and it is with
pleasure we accord him representation in the work which chronicles the
history of this interesting political division. He has come to the
front, not by reason of any "streak of luck", as is so often hurled at
leading men, but has won the present position by dint of hard labor, steady
application to business, and display of keen discrimination and business
sagacity. He has always shown uprightness and integrity in his dealings
and has thus won the confidence of the people, which is richly deserved.
George M. McDonald was born in Decatur county,
Iowa, on February 26, 1857, being the son of William McDonald, who was
born in Ohio but came as a pioneer to Iowa. Before coming to the
Hawkeye State he married an Ohio girl, Neoma Montgomery and when the awful
Rebellion broke out he tore himself from his home and enlisted in the Twenty-fourth
Iowa Volunteer Infanty, to fight for his country. He was put in the
hospital later and there died, giving his life for his flag. Our
subject was educated in Iowa and there remained engaged variously until
1881 when he came to Harrington, Kansas. For two years he did a livery
business there and then sold and traveled until 1887, when he settled at
Medical Lake, Washington. One year later he did building in Spokane,
whence he came to Almira and opened a lumber yard and feed store.
One year later Mr. McDonald located in Coulee City and started a feed and
implement store. For two years this engaged him and then he added
a general stock of merchandise and at once began to do a large and thriving
business. For eleven years he has continued in this business and
has come to be second to no mercantile house in the county. Early
in 1903, Mr. McDonald sold the hardware and grocery departments of his
business to DeBolt & McCann, and continued handling dry goods and gents'
furnishings together with boots and shoes until recently he added a grocery
and hardware departments. Mr. McDonald has shown excellent wisdom
in selecting and buying his goods to meet the needs of this section and
herein lies much of his success. In addition to the enterprises mentioned,
Mr. McDonald buys much wheat independently and does well in selling to
the general market. Politically, he is decidedly independent and
although often solicited to hold office he has absolutely refused to allow
his name to appear on any ticket.
Mr. McDonald has two brothers, Albert T.,
and John W., and one half-sister, Mary L.
At Spokane, in 1900, Mr. McDonald married
Miss Josephine Bonner, a daughter of Peter and Margaret (Whalan) Bonner,
the former a native of Holyoke, Massachusetts, and the latter of Milwaukee,
Wisconsin. She has the following named brothers and sisters, Mrs.
Mary Marlow, Thomas James, Mrs. Nellie Sprague, William S., Mrs. Isabella
Carr, Mrs. Catherine Hagey, Fred M., Frank R., and Grace. Mr. and
Mrs. McDonald have no children of their own, but one adopted daughter,
Beulah D., born May 26, 1900.
Mr. McDonald is fraternally connected with
the A. F. & A. M. and the I. O. O. F. and is a leading spirit in the