Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The
Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties,
State of Washington", published by Western Historical Publishing
JOHN W. McDONALD, who stands
at the head of a very prosperous business as commission merchant in grain
and dealer in agricultural implements, is also president of the Hartline
bank, in the organization of which he was the moving spirit. The
enterprise, adaptability, and good judgment of Mr. McDonald have established
him in the esteem of the people and without doubt he has done a great deal
towards building up this thriving village.
John W. McDonald was born in Decatur county,
Iowa, on July 7, 1862, being the son of William and Neoma (Montgomery)
McDonald, natives of Ohio, and pioneers of Iowa. John W. McDonald
was well educated in the schools in Decatur county and there grew to manhood.
At the age of twenty, he went to Kansas where he operated a livery stable
and later opened a drug store. For five years he resided there then
came, in 1888, to Medical Lake, Washington and there did contracting and
building, having become efficient in this line of industry in later days.
After the fire in Spokane, he went there and assisted to re-build that
stricken city. Later, he removed to Almira and opened a feed and
lumber business where he continued for one year and then began buying grain
for the Northern Pacific Elevator Company. In 1893, Mr. McDonald
launched out in this enterprise for himself, feeling his way cautiously.
He has succeeded well and is now one of the large grain buyers of Douglas
county. In 1894, he bought out D. E. Reeves, the pioneer merchant
of Hartline, and who owned the only stock of merchandise in the town at
that time. Mr. McDonald operated the business six years. After
becoming established in the grain buying business, Mr. McDonald added farming
implements and later began handling all kinds of vehicles. He carries
now, a most complete stock and does a very large business. Seeing
the need of a financial institution in Hartline, Mr. McDonald took upon
himself the organization of the same and was successful in securing sufficient
local capital to establish the Hartline bank, which began to do business
in 1903. Mr. McDonald is the president and moving spirit in the institution
and his success in the financial world, together with keen discrimination
and business integrity, have given him the confidence of the people.
Mr. McDonald has two brothers and one sister, Albert, George, and Mrs.
At Spokane, on August 9, 1894, Mr. McDonald
married Miss Ella, daughter of Andrew and Julia Hagey, natives of Iowa.
Mrs. McDonald was born at Walla Walla, on February 16, 1872 and has one
brother, Thomas, and two sisters, Mrs. Clara Yelton and Mrs. Katie Sager.
Two children have been the fruit of this union: Clive W., born on July
7, 1895; and Darrell W., born on September 15, 1900; both being natives
of Douglas county.
Mr. McDonald is a member of the A. F. & A. M.
and is progressive and broad-minded.