Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",  published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.

     PHILIP McENTEE, DECEASED.  The memory of Philip McEntee is green in the hearts of all the old timers in Douglas county.  No words that we could utter would fully portray the real worth and excellence of the man as a bright business man and a true pioneer and capable frontiersman.  It is fitting, however, that in the volume which pictures the history of this interesting section, a review of his life should occur and it is with pleasure that we append this memoir.
     Philip McEntee was born in Ireland, in 1830, and there remained the first sixteen years of his life.  His educational training was there secured and at the age mentioned, he came to New York as a stowaway.  He was soon learning the plumber's trade in that metropolis, and this was followed until the early sixties, when he was forced by the western fever to cross the plains, and finally drifted into British Columbia, where he mined on the Fraser river.  In the seventies he went thence to Bear Gulch, Montana, and there sought the golden sands until 1877, when he made his way to Washington, and joined a surveying party which was establishing the north line of the United States.  While in this employ, he was favored and did well in financial matters.  With his earnings he bought cattle and located where Coulee City now stands.  In the spring of 1881, he built the first house here.  The winter previous as also in 1890-1, he lost heavily on account of the rigorous weather.  He was not a man to be daunted by such reverses, however, and he continued in the business with comnmendable pluck and energy.  When Mr. McEntee located here there were no inhabitants, except the Indians and an occasional stockman.  He would take bands of cattle and unaided drive them clear to British Columbia and there sell to the mines, making his way back alone.  Such great exertions as these besides many others incident to the stock business in a new country, were the lot of Mr. McEntee, and few people know the real hardships of the pioneer, unless they have taken part in them.  He saw the country settle up and was always a broad minded man, ever welcoming the ingress of farmers, although a stockman, whose interests, should he consider himself alone, were adverse to the farmers.
     Three years before his death, Mr. McEntee was thrown from his horse and sustained severe injuries in his left side.  Later tuberculosis of the stomach developed and in 1901, he was in the hands of the doctors receiving the best attention that could be given.  All was futile, however, and on the eighth day of July, 1901, it being Monday, he fell asleep peacefully, although he had been a great sufferer during his illness.  His remains were interred with impressive ceremonies and the whole country was draped in real mourning, for they well knew one of the stalwarts had gone.  In the land where he had met the adversities and hardships known only to the progressive pioneer, had met and overcome, where he had labored wisely and well to bring in the dawn of one of the states to be of this great nation, where he won such success owing to his great endurance and capabilities, there sleeps quietly the casket where dwelt the fearless soul and dauntless spirit of one of the grand men of Washington.
     In 1891, Mr. McEntee married Miss Elizabeth Evans, a native of Pennsylvania and the daughter of William D. Evans.  To this union two children have been born, Mary and Philip.  Mrs. McEntee is now dwelling in Spokane and has the advantage offered by the city schools for her children.  Mr. McEntee was enabled to leave to his loved ones a goodly competence and his widow is to be commended for the wisdom manifested in the management of the estate.