rogersa  
 

Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",  published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.


    ALBERT L. ROGERS, of the firm of Rogers & Howe, leading general merchants of Waterville, is one of the men whose efforts have resulted in great good for the county of Douglas and who stands at the present time a real leader in commercial enterprises and cheerfully participating in all movements originated for the advancement of the country.  He is heavily interested in different lines of property, among which may be mentioned merchandising, farming, irrigating and so forth.
     Albert L. Rogers was born in Waterville, Minnesota, on June 19, 1859, being the son of Caleb E. and Jennie (Shouts) Rogers.  The father was born in Orleans, Massachusetts, coming from a very old and prominent colonial family, who first came to the new world on the Sparrowhawk shortly after the Mayflower had landed.  The mother was born in New York, descending from a Dutch family.  They both are living in Waterville.  Our subject was early trained in the public schools in Minnesota and later completed his education in the Shattuck college of Faribault, taking a special course in civil engineering.  At the early age of seventeen, Mr. Rogers entered the employ of the M. & St. L. railroad under his uncle, A. B. Rogers, chief engineer.  He continued in railroad work, being with various companies until 1881, when they went to Canada and joined the force of the Canadian Pacific.  Mr. Rogers was the first white man to come through the Rogers pass in the Selkirks and he now possesses a fine watch presented by the directors for his meritorious service in this work.  After the completion of the road he had charge of the mountain division for nearly a year.  In 1886 Mr. Rogers entered the employ of J. J. Hill of the Great Northern and made a reconnaissance of the country from Montana to the Sound, spending about two years in this work.  After the completion of this labor, Mr. Rogers decided to get married and settle down to commercial life in partnership with his brother-in-law, M. B. Howe.  They were the pioneer merchants of Waterville, and have conducted a thriving business here since those days.  In addition to this the firm has conducted a milling, banking and farming business with their merchandising.  They have a one half interest in the Entiat Improvement Company, which owns one thousand acres of valuable land on the Entiat, watered through a seven mile ditch.  The company does a large business in raising stock and alfalfa.  Mr. Rogers also promoted the tramway to the Columbia river, made the survey, and sold the terminals to the present owners.
     The brothers of our subject are mentioned as follows, John G., James E., Milton E.  The marriage of Mr. Rogers and Miss Mary N. Howe was celebrated at Faribault, Minnesota, on December 14, 1887, and to them two children have been born, Emily, aged fifteen, and Jennie, aged thirteen.
     Mr. Rogers is a member of the A. F. & A. M., the W. W. and the K. T. M.  He has served at various times on the school board and is now chairman of the county central committee, having also been frequently delegate to the conventions.  Mr. Rogers served as representative from his county to the World's fair and did excellent work in bringing to the notice of the public the resources and wealth of the Big Bend country.
 
 

BACK