Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The
Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties,
State of Washington", published by Western Historical Publishing
GEORGE URQUHART was born in Rossshire,
Scotland, on January 22, 1847. His father, Duncan Urquhart, an extensive
sheep raiser in the Highlands of Scotland, married Miss Catherine McIntosh
and the subject of this sketch was the oldest of seven children born to
this couple. He was educated in his native country and in early manhood
emigrated to America. Here he was employed in various occupations
in New Jersey, Wisconsin and Michigan, until 1874, when he journeyed to
the Pacific coast, visiting San Francisco, Portland, Oregon, and the placer
mines in central Idaho. After this he entered the employ of the Oregon
Steam Navigation Company, and remained with them some time. In 1876,
he came to Washington, traveling overland from Walla Walla in this territory
to his present place. Walla Walla, three hundred miles distant was
his nearest supply point and postoffice. He purchased a squatter's
right of Henry Marlin to various tracts of meadow land lying along Crab
creek and began stock raising. At that time, there were no railroads
in the territory of Washington, nor had the Northern Pacific received its
grant of land for building to the coast. Consequently Mr. Urquhart
ranks as one of the very earliest settlers in this section of the country.
In 1878, he was in imminent danger of losing his life, owing to an Indian
outbreak, which drove the half dozen settlers along the creek to Fort Walla
Walla. Mr. Urquhart determined to stay on the ranch, however, and
escaped without injury.
In 1887, Mr. Urquhart visited his native country
and there married Helen Sime of Inchture, Perthshire. They have four
surviving children, Kate, Grace, David S., and Alister McN. Mr. and
Mrs. Urquhart are adherents of the Presbyterian church and are leading
and highly esteemed people. Besides owning large tracts of land in
Lincoln and Douglas counties, they are owners of the townsite of Krupp,
one of the newest and the most promising towns of the Big Bend country.
Mr. Urquhart is a man of strong personality and has always been closely
identified with the progress and improvement of this resourceful country.
He maintains on his home place, about one hundred head of registered Shorthorn
cattle in which he takes a great pride. He also has a large number
of other cattle and sheep on the public domain, being one of the pioneer
and extensive cattle raisers of the Big Bend country. He was a resident
of this section prior to the formation of the counties of Lincoln and Douglas,
when the entire country north of the Snake was known as Stevens county,
with Colville as its county seat.