Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
WILLIAM H. EVANS is master of
the king of trades, blacksmithing, and has so conducted his labors that
he has wrought out a first class success. He has shown himself a
natural mechanic and in addition has so closely followed the art, that
he has gained a skill which places him in the lead in all kinds of work
turned out of a blacksmith shop. At present he owns a large shop,
twenty-five by seventy feet, on Second street in Sprague, and it is well
equipped with a full supply of all kinds of tools and appliances for modern
blacksmithing. He has secured and holds a large patronage and has
the reputation of being as fine a workman as there is in the country.
William H. Evans was born in Dodge county,
Wisconsin, on September 7, 1866, the son of Robert T. and Annie (Prichard)
Evans, natives of Wales and immigrants to the United States when young.
The father is now living retired in Columbus, Wisconsin. The mother
died in 1889. William was sent to the common schools until he had
acquired a good education and then gave his time to the assistance of his
father on the farm until twenty. At that age he came to Sprague and
for a time wrought in a dairy here, after which he worked in the railroad
shops. Six months later, he returned east to attend the funeral of
his mother. He remained there for some time and then returned to
Sprague and entered the blacksmith shop of Snider Brothers, and after learning
the trade worked at it until four years had passed by. The next year
was spent in the railroad shops, after which he bought a half interest
in the shop of Gill, Jack & Company, where he wrought until the fire
swept this unfortunate town. Following that he wrought in the shop
of Van Allen until 1898, when he started a shop of his own. Here
he has continued steadily until the present, increasing his equipment and
patronage all the time. Mr. Evans is one of the good citizens of
the town and has the confidence of the people.
At Spokane, on July 19, 1892, Mr. Evans married
Miss Gina, daughter of James A. and Christina (Peterson) Sievertsen, natives
of Norway. The father was a sea captain and died thirty-one years
since. The mother is now dwelling in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
To our subject and his wife, four children have been born, Annie, Ethel,
Nellie, and Raymond. Mr. Evans has a pleasant and comfortable home
on Second street and other property besides what has been mentioned.
He came here without capital of any kind and has made every dollar he now
possesses, besides winning his success by dint of hard and honest labor,
and his anvil sings out each day the merry chimes of honest industry.
Mr. Evans is a member of the K. P. and the M. W. A. He is also chief
of the fire department and was first sergeant of the National Guards, Troop
A., during the Northern Pacific strike in 1886.