Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
HARRISON GLASCOCK lives about
four miles southwest from Downs, where he owns an estate of one thousand
acres. The farm is one of the choice ones in the section and is well
known over the entire county as the Bigham place. Two hundred acres
of it are bottom land, under an irrigating ditch, the balance being grain
and pasture land. Mr. Glascock has a residence commensurate with
a large estate, beautifully situated amid shade trees and other pleasant
surroundings, large barns, outbuildings, and other improvements.
He has also a large orchard, and altogether his estate is beautiful, valuable,
Harrison Glascock was born in Yolo county,
California, on January 8, 1855, being the son of George and Elizabeth (Brook)
Glascock, natives of Virginia. The father emigrated to California
in the early 'fifties, settling on a ranch in Yolo county, where he remained
until his death in 1883. He was one of the very early settlers and
became a man of prominence and wealth. The mother accompanied her
husband in his journeys. Our subject was educated in the district
schools of California until eighteen, then followed farming until he came
to Lincoln county in 1883. He first settled on a ranch near where
Harrington now stands, where he remained until 1894, in which year he came
to his present location. Crab creek flows through the estate and furnishes
the water for his irrigating ditch. Mr. Glascock devotes his attention
mostly to raising horses and cattle, having some fine thoroughbred stock.
He is one of the wealthy men of this section and has gained his holdings
through his own labor and skill.
In 1888, occurred the marriage of Mr. Glascock
and Frances J., daughter of J. N. McKinney, a respected citizen of Oregon.
To this union, four children have been born, Mabel, Laura, Viola, and Horace