Harrisona  
 
 

Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",  published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.


     ANDREW W. HARRISON resides about four miles southwest from Edwall, in Lincoln county.  He has spent over twenty-five years of his life in this county and is well entitled to be classed with the earliest pioneers.  He has given his attention largely to farming since he has been doing for himself, has made a success in his labors, and owns one hundred and sixty acres all cultivated.  He has a nice two-story residence, large barn, plenty of buildings, and other improvements.  His farm equipments, stock and so forth are first class and he is one of the most progressive and broad minded men of the section.
     Andrew W. Harrison was born in Montgomery county, Iowa, on September 9, 1871, and his father, Hon. Andrew Harrison was born in Ohio and later moved to Indiana, thence to Iowa, and from there to California in 1875.  Four years later, he came to the territory now embraced in Lincoln county, bringing his family in wagons.  He took the place where our subject now resides as a homestead and engaged in farming and stock raising, but now resides near Cheney.  In 1898, he was elected to represent the fifth legislative district of Washington, his name appearing on the Republican ticket.  He received a very handsome majority and did excellent service for his constituents.  Our subject's mother, Mary (Babb) Harrison, was born in Iowa and now dwells with her husband in Spokane county.  Our subject came to this section with his father in 1879 and owing to the scarcity of schools, received a very limited education, which, however, he has supplemented by careful reading until he is a well informed man.  He engaged in handling stock on the range for some time and when twenty, went into the sawmill business.  This continued for a short time, then he turned to farming.
     On September 13, 1893, Mr. Harrison married Miss Stella, daughter of Leroy and Christine (Ault) Ableman.  The father was born in Wisconsin and came to Lincoln county in 1890 and still resides near the home of our subject.  The mother died in 1894.  He has the following brothers and sisters; Mrs. Anna Tucker, Mrs. Nelson, Ethel, Mrs. Estella Wallace, Mrs. Belle Vaughn.  Mr. and Mrs. Harrison both belong to the Modern Brotherhood of America and also to the Evangelical church.  They have six children, Eva, Prudence, Harvey, Orville, Pearl, and Florence.  Mr. Harrison is a thorough westerner, having spent most of his days on the Pacific coast and the success that he has achieved is such that he may well take pride in it.  He stands well in the community, is a very progressive man and very alert to forward those measures which are for the benefit of all.
 

BACK