Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JOHN W. HUGHES is well known
all through the Big Bend country as one of the leading business men.
He has shown marked executive ability as well as excellent financiering
since locating here and his efforts have resulted in much good for the
advancement and improvement of his county. At the present time he
is operating a fine butcher shop in Reardan and also buys grain.
John W. Hughes was born in Marion county,
Kentucky, on April 27, 1865, the son of Timothy C. and Mary (Bagley) Hughes,
natives of Kentucky. The father was a carpenter and farmer.
Our subject was a nephew of Milton J. Durham, who was at one time governor
of Kentucky. Mr. Hughes has one sister, Mrs. Nannie Leachman, in
Louisville, Kentucky. Very little opportunity to gain an education
was offered our subject but so well did he improve his spare moments since,
that he is a well informed man and is a thorough master of business problems.
In 1889, Mr. Hughes came to Washington, settling in Lincoln county about
five miles west from Rockland. He took a homestead and bought a quarter
section and immediately engaged in raising grain. During the first
winter, he well remembers the trying experiences and self denials which
were his lot as his means were very limited. His energy and good
judgment soon placed him on the road to wealth and after having his farm
well subdued he directed his attention to buying wheat. He bought
during 1896-97 at Rockland, having put up a warehouse, and hiring his own
telegraph operator. In 1896, he built a store and then paid the telephone
company two hundred dollars to build a line to Rockland. A post office
was established and one year later, he sold out. Mr. Hughes went
to Harrington and there organized the Harrington Mill Company and bought
grain for a year. After that, he built an elevator at Reardan then
sold out and assisted in the organization of the Reardan exchange bank
of which he was director. Later he sold this property and in January,
1904, opened the meat market mentioned above. His first partner in
this business was L. M. Pugh. In addition to this property Mr. Hughes
has a half interest in a large grain buying establishment in Kennewick,
Pasco and other places. He has four hundred and fifty acres of land
in Lincoln county, some fine residence property in Davenport, forty acres
of irrigated land at Kennewick, thirteen acres of fine wheat land in Yakima
valley, and a fine nine room residence in Reardan, besides much other property.
All this Mr. Hughes has accumulated in the few years that he has been in
the Big Bend country and ever has shown sound practical business ability.
At Lebanon, Kentucky, in 1888, Mr. Hughes
married Miss Amelia Adams, a native of the Blue Grass State and to them
four children have been born, Albert, Carrie, Lizzie, Beatrice. Mr.
Hughes is a member of the I. 0. 0. F., and the W. W., while his wife belongs
to the circle. While Mr. Hughes has been prosecuting with ceaseless
energy his own business affairs, he has not failed to take a keen and active
interest in the welfare of the communities where he has resided and is
ever known as a very ardent supporter of the best educational facilities
possible. He is a public spirited man and has the confidence and
esteem of his fellows.