Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The
Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties,
State of Washington", published by Western Historical Publishing
RICHARD G. JONES, who resides about three miles south from Almira, has four sections of land devoted to general farming and stock raising. In addition to this, he owns large bands of cattle and is a very prosperous stock man.
Richard G. Jones was born in Cemmes, Montgomeryshire, Wales, on April 18, 1849, the son of Evan and Martha Jones, natives of north Wales. In 1870 he came to the United States, settling first in Johnson county, Iowa. Farming occupied him for three years, then he went to Colorado and did both farming and mining. A year and a half later, he went to Eureka, Nevada, where he gave his attention to prospecting and working in a reduction mill for five years. Thence he journeyed to Arizona and prospected near Signel for a year. After that, he took a trip to his old home place in Wales, both to visit friends and recuperate his health. During the following summer, he returned to the United States, locating in Nebraska. After a short time there, he came to Washington and sought out a home in Lincoln county on Wilson creek. He has remained on this since, gathering large bands of cattle and accumulating land. Owing to Mr. Jones' wisdom and stamina, he has surmounted every obstacle and has made himself one of the most prosperous men in this part of the county. He has two brothers, Edward C., a farmer in Lincoln county and John E., a farmer in Wyman, Nebraska.
Mr. Jones was raised under the influence of the Episcopal church but is not a member of any denomination. He has never seen fit to enter the matrimonial relation and still enjoys the blessedness of a bachelor's life.