Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
CHARLES A. LEVEL is a prosperous
farmer residing on his five hundred and sixty acre farm three miles east
and three and a half miles north of Davenport. Practically the whole
of Mr. Level's life has been spent on a farm. At the age of sixteen
years he began working for a salary on a farm in Iowa county, Wisconsin,
and in 1887 he removed to the state of Iowa, and to Lincoln county, Washington,
in 1888. After coming here, Mr. Level worked for a time for wages
among the various farmers, then bought a piece of land which he cultivated
for himself. Like many another farmer, Mr. Level lost heavily during
the panic of 1893, and for a time was completely bankrupt, but later on
he regained his footing to the extent of being able to continue the operation
of his farm, and in 1897 he raised a large crop which gave him another
start. Since that time he has continued to prosper and is now rated
as being one of the wealthy farmers of his county. He has his land
in a high state of cultivation, well improved and well stocked. All
that he has has been accumulated since 1897 and by the efforts of none
other than himself.
Charles A. Level was born in Iowa county,
Wisconsin, March 13, 1867, and was the son of William and Mary (Dickinson)
Level, the former a native of England, and the latter of Poughkeepsie,
New York. The father was one of the pioneer settlers of Iowa county,
having come there from England as a boy, and remained there until his death.
The mother is now living at Hillyard, Spokane county, Washington, with
her daughter, and sister of our subject, Mrs. Annie S. Carter.
January 19, 1898, Charles A. Level was married
to Bertha Wilke, a native of Shelby county, Illinois; and two children,
William A. and Burton, are the issue of this marriage. Mrs. Level
was the daughter of August and Minnie Wilke, both of whom are natives of
Germany. They came from their native country first to Illinois, and
to Davenport in 1892.