proulxn  
 

Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",  published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.


     NAPOLEON PROULX, who is now making his home at the beautiful residence owned by him at 501 East Boone avenue, is one of the builders of the Big Bend country and deserves mention in any volume that purports to give recital of the leading men of central Washington.  His energy, keen foresight, excellent wisdom and probity, which have always been in evidence during his career of activity in Washington, have won for him the success deserved, both in financial matters and social life.  Our readers will be pleased to note the appended account of his life more in detail.
     Napoleon Proulx was born in Canada, on February 19, 1853, the son of William and Dinis (Brunet) Proulx.  The father was a prominent and wealthy farmer and stock fancier, and died when sixty-five.  The mother died aged seventy.  Our subject has inherited his father's love for fine stock and is a real connoisseur of thoroughbreds.  The Catholic parochial schools of Montreal furnished the educational training of Napoleon Proulx and soon after those brief days were ended, he embarked in merchandising at Rockston seventy miles out from Montreal.  It was 1885 when he came to Spokane,  and after some engagement with Peter Morrison, a dealer in fine horses and a breeder of fine stock, Mr. Proulx began a tour of adventure and exploration of the country.  He traveled over the Big Bend country and other sections, and finally located a homestead north of Almira, in Lincoln county in 1890.
     He had started in business in Medical Lake before that and there operated a bakery about two years.  Later he removed to Spokane and has lived in various sections of eastern and central Washington.  In 1900, he removed his family to Spokane and they now dwell on Boone avenue, as mentioned above.  Mr. Proulx has purchased land in the Big Bend country in addition to his former holdings, some being in Douglas county, until he now has a section or more of choice wheat land, all well improved.  His sons handle the estate and are progressive young men of the county.  They also have a half section of their own.
     In June, 1875, occurred the marriage of Mr. Proulx and Miss Amelia Dumas, a native of Canada.  Her parents were wealthy agriculturists of that country.  To Mr. and Mrs. Proulx the following named children have been born: Joseph A., farming on his father's estate in the Big Bend; Napoleon W., a plumber in Spokane; Arthur A., farming with his brother on the father's estate; Peter, attending college in Spokane, Alixma, and Alma.  The latter one is about to graduate from one of the leading educational institutions of Spokane.  Alixma graduated at the convent in Portland, then returned to Spokane, where she took charge of the choir in the St. Joseph's Catholic church.  Later she took the veil and is now known as Sister Mary Clotildis in the order of the Holy Name.
     Mr. and Mrs. Proulx are highly respected people and have not only made a great success in gaining finances, but have won hosts of admiring friends wherever they have resided.
 


BACK