Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
HENRY C. STANLEY, born August
27, 1838, in Edwards county, Illinois, was the son of William and Maria
(Gum) Stanley, pioneers of Edwards county. William Stanley was born
in Washington county, Ohio, removed at an early age to Edwards county,
where he held the office of justice of the peace for twenty years, and
where he died, February, 1892, being at the time of his death in his seventy-seventh
year. His wife was native of Wabash county, Illinois, lived for a
time in Ohio, and died about five years ago in the same county as did her
husband, and at about the same age.
Mr. Stanley grew to manhood in the county
of his nativity, where he attended school held in a primitive log house,
one of his schoolmates being Elmina Gould, to whom, August 30, 1859, he
was married. Mrs. Stanley's father was Philander Gould, born in West
Virginia, but reared in New York. At the age of nineteen he removed
to Edwards county, where he spent the remainder of his life. dying in his
seventy-fourth year, in 1890. Mrs. Stanley's mother, Sarah Knowlton
in single life, was born in Amherst, Massachusetts, in 1816, raised a family
of ten children, to whom she was ever a faithful and devoted mother, and
died in 1876. Both she and her husband were ambitious, energetic
and relentless workers throughout their lives.
Soon after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Stanley
migrated to Clay county, Illinois, and in 1877 to Murray county, Minnesota,
where they continued to make their home until coming to Lincoln county,
Washington, in 1892. Arriving here they at once settled on their present
farm, seven miles north and two miles east of Mondovi, which at that time
was unimproved railroad land. With the scanty means at his command,
Mr. Stanley at once began earnestly to improve his land, and as times permitted
added to his original holdings until he now has four hundred acres, for
the most part agricultural land, adorned with a good seven-room, house,
commodious barn, outbuildings, etc., all of which represent the work of
his own hands. Besides his home, he has a quarter section of land
near Fruitland, Stevens county.
Nine children, six of whom are living, have
been born to Mr. and Mrs. Stanley. The names of those living are:
Ira P. and William T., of Stevens county; and Edson G., Elmer C., Florrie
E. Reynolds, and Rollo C., all of Lincoln county.
Both the parents are devoted members of the
United Bretheren church and are actively interested in educational matters.
Mr. Stanley served in the Civil war, enlisting
in Company F, One Hundred and Forty-third Illinois Regular Infantry, in
April, 1864, and was given an honorable discharge in the fall of the same
year, his service having been chiefly in the states of Tennessee and Arkansas.
Mr. Stanley cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln, in 1860, and has since
been an unswerving Republican.