Stenderh  
 

Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",  published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.


     HENRY STENDER came to Lincoln county in 1884 with scarcely a dollar to his name and filed a homestead claim on his present handsome farm, five miles southwest of Davenport.  At that time the present site of Davenport was known as Cottonwood Springs, and consisted of a hamlet of only a few scattering houses.  Mr. Stender experienced all the adversities and hardships of pioneer life before gaining a start through which he has become one of the leading and most prosperous farmers of his county.  He now has five hundred and twenty acres of land, one hundred and eighty acres of which are fenced and under cultivation, improved by a fine residence, barn, and other out buildings, and an excellent well and windmill from which water is conveyed through the house and barn.  He also raises stock to a considerable extent, having a herd of Durham cattle, and horses with which to carry on the business of farming.
     The birthplace of Henry Stender is Holstein, Germany, and he was born to Yokam and Anna Stender, July 22, 1857.   He has one brother, Clouse, and one sister, Catharine, both of Germany.  He grew to manhood on a farm, attaining a fair common school education, and sailed from Hamburg to New York in June, 1881.  From New York he removed to Davenport, Iowa, where he worked on a farm for a brief time, then went to Winona, Minnesota, whence he came to San Francisco in 1882.  From San Francisco he went to the vicinity of Stockton, California, which was his last home prior to his coming to Lincoln county, Washington.
     On May 14, 1896, Henry Stender was married to Olena Jensen, a native of Denmark, and daughter of Peter N. and Anna Jensen.  Her father is now farming near Davenport.
     Mrs. Stender came with her parents to the United States during girlhood, settled in Iroquois county, Illinois, and from there came to Davenport in 1889.  Her brothers and sisters are, Christian, Louie, James, Christina, and Mrs. Reka Turner.  She has one half-brother, Anderson.  To Mr. and Mrs. Stender have been born three children, Warren H., Roy F., and Anna M.
     The church home of the family is in the Lutheran denomination.
 


BACK