Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
LUTHER A. STIMSON, who owns and
operates the Stimson ferry across the Columbia north from Davenport, was
born in Ontario county, New York, on November 30,1832, the son of Daniel
and Harriett (Beckwith) Stimson. The parents were natives of New
York also. At seven years of age, our subject was left an orphan
and was then taken by his uncle Harrison Stimson, to Ohio with whom he
dwelt for seven years and worked on the farm. He gained what schooling
there was to be had in that frontier region and at the age of fourteen
was apprenticed to a millwright in Kalamazoo. He learned the trade
thoroughly by the time he had arrived at manhood's estate. In 1860,
Mr. Stimson journeyed west to Dickinson county, Iowa, and at that time
cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln for president. Thirteen years
later, he went to Wyoming where he made his home for three years.
After that, he went west and settled in the southeastern part of Washington
territory in what is now Asotin county, it being then a part of Columbia
county. He wrought at his trade until he had secured sufficient capital
to warrant him building a mill for himself. The plant was located
at Asotin, Washington and Mr. Stimson was very successful in this venture.
Later, he disposed of this property and built a flour mill at Alpowa creek,
Washington, which he managed successfully for six years. Then he
traded this property for the Wawawai ferry property, in Whitman county,
Washington. This was operated successfully until 1899, when he sold
out the entire business and came to Lincoln county. He established,
soon after coming here, the Stimson ferry, and has erected all other improvements
and buildings necessary for the successful operation of a first class ferry.
He does a good business and entertains travel as well.
On November 4, 1856, Mr. Stimson married Miss
Betsey M. Lamb and to them the following children have been born, Frank,
Elmer, Harriett, Carrie, Ida, Mary, Effie, Luther C., and Nellie.
In 1898, Mr. Stimson was called to mourn the death of his beloved wife
who had borne him nine children.
In April, 1899, he contracted a second
marriage, Mrs. Anna Thornburg then becoming his wife. Stimson's home
is pleasantly located on the banks of the beautiful Columbia. It
is an ideal spot. Here in the golden period of his well spent and
useful life, he enjoys the present, while the reminiscent past gives him
a picture of a life well lived and duties done.