Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JOHN L. TRIPP has just completed
a magnificent livery barn, the largest in Davenport. It was built
on the site of his former barn, which had been destroyed by fire in the
summer of 1903. It is a fine structure and a strictly up to date
livery. Mr. Tripp is an experienced hand at the business and enjoys
an excellent patronage and makes a specialty as well to buy and sell horses.
He owns a large farm some five miles from town and raises a great many
high grade horses.
John L. Tripp was born in Barry county, Michigan,
on October 8, 1853, the son of Chester C. and Harriett (Wilkinson) Tripp,
natives of New York. They came to Michigan in 1853 and there remained
until the time of their death. They were the parents of eight children,
Elphina, Oscar, Adelbert, Amby, John L., Ivan, Anna, and Cortize.
Our subject received his educational training during the first fifteen
years of his life and then assumed the responsibilities for himself and
began working on a farm. He continued this until twenty, then bought
land and went to farming for himself. In 1882 he came to Washington
and followed logging for a year. After that he settled in Lincoln
county, taking up a homestead which he has operated since. In 1885
Mr. Tripp came to Davenport and took charge of the livery barn. He
sold it later and built a barn for himself. Part of the time he has
devoted to this in person and part of the time it has been rented, until
it burned as stated above. The new barn is a very fine structure
and is receiving its full share of patronage.
In 1896 Mr. Tripp married Lyddie M. Eichelberger,
the widow of Fred E. She was born in Iowa and came to Washington
in 1892. By her former husband, Mrs. Tripp has three children, Leroy,
Fred, and Arthur. Mr. Tripp is a stanch Democrat and active in political
He is a member of the W. W. and the R. A.
Mrs. Tripp is a member of the Women of Woodcraft and the R. A.
She also belongs to the Presbyterian church.
Mr. and Mrs. Tripp have one child, Elphina
G., born August 13, 1903.