Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",  published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.

     JULIUS D. WOODIN, a farmer residing one and a half miles northeast of Davenport, is a native of Wayne county, New York, born July 22, 1836.  His father, David M. Woodin, a native of Massachusetts, died in 1885 at Davenport.  His mother was Margaret (Dean) Woodin.
     As a boy Mr. Woodin went with his parents to Lapeer, Michigan, and later to Ripon, Wisconsin.  In August, 1861, he enlisted in company B, Thirty-second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served in the army three years, receiving an honorable discharge, when he returned home.  While a soldier he served with General Sherman, and was involved in a number of skirmishes but was never severely wounded.
     In 1861 he was married to Helen M. Sprague, who died in Davenport, in 1883, she being the first white woman to be buried at this place.  She left, besides her husband, one son, Bert L., born in Eureka, Wisconsin, who is engaged in mining business in Alaska; and one adopted daughter, Angie, who became the wife of John Whitney, of near Davenport.  She too is now dead.
     Mr. and Mrs. Woodin removed to California in 1878, locating in Alameda county; and came to his present locality in the spring of 1881 where he took a pre-emption upon which he still lives.  He drove overland to the country, and his was one of the first families here.  He has a farm in a fine location, and his land is as good as any to be found in Big Bend.  His opinion is that he is located in the best country on the face of the earth and proposes to spend the remainder of his life where he now it.  He is an influential member, of the G. A. R., and of the Methodist Episcopal church.
     Mr. Woodin was married for the second time, December 6, 1893, his bride being Mary Orr, a native of Green Lake county, Wisconsin.  Her father, John Orr, was a soldier in the Civil war, was in many battles, and died in Washington, D. C., from the effects of a wound received at the battle of the Wilderness.  Her mother was Mary Porter Orr.