Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JOHN BEALL is one of the oldest
pioneers of Okanogan county, and has done the work of the real pioneer
all his life, having lived in the remote regions of Illinois and Missouri
before coming to the far west. He is dwelling now on his estate of
nearly two hundred acres, which lies about three miles north from Loomis,
and there he does general farming and raises stock. He has a fine
farm, with about one hundred and thirty acres in timothy, and a good orchard,
one of the best in the county, which produces as fine fruit as can be found
on the coast.
John Beall was born in Alabama, on February
21, 1837, the son of Lloyd and Elizabeth Beall, natives of Tennessee.
The father was a pioneer across the plains in 1849, and died in California.
The mother died in the east. Our subject lived in Illinois and Missouri
during his earlier years, and there studied in the public schools.
In 1857, he came across the plains with a companion, having a pleasant
time hunting all the way. When they came into the country of hostile
Indians, they would join some large train. After some time in California,
they went through Nevada and Arizona, to Mexico, thence through New Mexico
on back to the central states. In July, 1861, he landed in The Dalles,
Oregon, having come overland with a pack train. He at once went to
packing supplies from The Dalles and Umatilla Landing to all the leading
mining camps in Idaho and Oregon, and continued at that business until
1871. In 1861 he was in Lewiston, and there had the pleasure of meeting
his cousin, Tom Beall, the noted pioneer of that place. In 1871 Mr.
Beall went to the regions of Fraser river and Cariboo, and then penetrated
the wilderness about three hundred miles north from that place prospecting.
Returning, he bought cattle and settled on the Similkameen river in British
Columbia, where he remained for several years until he bought his present
place. At that time few white people were in the large territory
now occupied by Okanogan county, and the mail was gotten at Ft. Colville.
Supplies came from Walla Walla, and it was with great labor that they were
Mr. Beall married Miss Catherine, a daughter
of George Runnells, an old pioneer of this section, and to them three children
have been born, John, Louise, and Ellen.