Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
ROBERT R. HARGROVE is well
known in the Okanogan country as one of the most industrious, energetic
and skillful mining men of the district. He has not only expended
a small fortune in the development of mining properties in this section
but has also individually driven hundreds of feet of tunnelling and packed
tools, blankets and food through the fastnesses of the mountains as occasions
Robert R. Hargove was born in Horsehead, New
York, on June 13, 1851, the son of Elinus and Susan A. (Wilson) Hargrove,
natives of Yates county, New York. He was one of nine children, named
as follows, Benjamin F., William H., Robert R., John A., James L., Thomas
E., deceased, Herman H., Mrs. Annie E. Kenyon, deceased, Mrs. Martha E.
Howard. In 1856 the family removed to Bremer county, Iowa, and in
1880 settled near Parker, South Dakota, where the father died in 1894,
aged eighty-four. The mother passed away in 1901, in her eightieth
year. Our subject had very little opportunity to gain an education,
but through careful study and personal research has made himself a well
informed man. At the early age of twelve he began the duties of life
for himself and has steadily maintained this ever since. While his
parents were living he was frequently found at their home on visits.
In 1873 he went to Lemars, Iowa, where he
was engaged with R. C. Waples until 1877 in running a coal, lumber and
wood yard. He also shipped live stock to Chicago, handling many cattle,
hogs and horses. Then he journeyed to Colfax, Washington, where in
company with Mr. Waples he started a general merchandise establishment
and also a branch store at Palouse. Mr. Hargrave sold out and went
east, then returned to Colfax and operated the Baldwin hotel until 1879,
when he opened a saloon in Spokane, it being one of the first there.
During the early eighties he was the only one paying cash for county warrants.
He continued business and prospered, handling as high as four saloons and
two restaurants at one time. He made money rapidly and spent it freely
and had men prospecting in various sections of the country. In 1888
he sold out his business in Spokane and came to Okanogan county and since
that time has allied himself assiduously with the mining industry of this
section. He had a good residence in Conconully, but it was destroyed
by the flood, then he removed to Loomis, and in April, 1903, bought his
present residence, one mile north of Conconully, which was formerly owned
by ex-Governor Laughton and is a large nine room house, pleasantly located.
Mr. Hargrove has spent in all over fifteen
thousand dollars cash in developing mining properties here and is largely
interested in two groups near Conconully and others near Loomis.
He has done about eighteen hundred feet of tunnelling, much of it by his
own hands, and one of his properties is now a producer.
On June 24, 1882, in Spokane, Mr. Hargrove
married Miss Sarah E. Belieu, a native of Roseburg, Oregon. Her father
was a minister of the gospel and crossed the plains in 1849. He settled
in the Willamette valley and there married Miss Margaret Gage, who crossed
the plains with her parents when young. She was a relative of ex-Secretary
Gage. They are now living at Danville, Washington, he in his seventy-eighth
and she in her seventy-second year. To Mr. and Mrs. Hargrove four
children have been born, Mabel, deceased; Robert C., born October 21, 1884;
Etna, deceased; William, born August 1, 1893.