Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JOHN KENDALL is well known in
Okanogan county, being now one of the prominent business men and townsite
owners at Riverside, Washington. He owns a large livery and feed
stable which he is operating in a successful manner, besides various other
property as will be mentioned later on.
John Kendall was born on February 18, 1857,
in Hendricks county, Indiana, the son of Alford and Nancy (Savis) Kendall,
natives of Kentucky and Indiana, respectively. They were married
in Indiana and had two children, our subject and Mrs. Ella Saylor.
John K. was educated in the public scools and went with his parents to
Missouri. Later the family moved to Labette county, Kansas, and settled
in Parsons, where the father owned a farm adjoining the townsite.
This was in 1868, before the town was started. Later the parents
returned to Missouri where the father died in St. Clair county and the
mother in Jasper county. In 1880, our subject removed from Parsons
to Walla Walla. Afterward, he moved to Waitsburg then came to the
vicinity of Spokane, and in 1892, he rented land on the Nez Perces reservation
in Idaho. On November 6, 1894, he married Miss Olive Thomas, whose
parents live near Riverside, Washington. In the spring of 1895, they
came to their present home and took up a homestead of one hundred and eighty-two
acres on the west branch of the Okanogan river. Forty acres of this
estate were sold for the townsite of Riverside, and upon it that thriving
municipality is located at the present time. Mr. Kendall owns an
interest in the townsite and the balance of the land adjoins the same.
The farm is fenced and all under cultivation, being supplied with irrigating
water from Johnson creek. He raises abundance of cereals and had
forty-five acres sowed to alfalfa, which produces three crops annually.
He has six acres in orchard, which bears plenty of peaches, apricots, prunes,
pears, apples, and so forth. A good residence makes the place beautiful
and valuable, while outbuildings and other improvements are in evidence.
Mr. Kendall built the hotel at Riverside,
which he operated for four years then sold. He is also interested
in the ferry. Mr. and Mrs. Kendall are members of the Methodist church
and are known as progressive and upright people. They have adopted
two children, George C. and Relta Marie.