Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JULIUS A. LOOMIS, from whom the
town of Loomis, Washington, received its name, was born in St. Albans,
Vermont, in May, 1852. The next year his father, Calvin D. Loomis,
removed to Springfield, Massachusetts, and commenced the manufacture of
cigars, W. H. Wright being foreman. Later he sold to Mr. Wright and
the business is still conducted as W. H. Wright & Company. Mr.
Loomis was a large land holder and a promoter of enterprises and died in
the prime of life, mourned by many.
Our subject was liberally educated in the
ordinary schools and in the Williston Seminary at Easthampton. Then
he accepted a position in the banking house of Hon. P. S. Bailey.
Mr. Bailey used frequently to remark that young Loomis was the best assistant
he ever had. Following this service Mr. Loomis spent several years
in Germany, studying, Upon his return he accepted a position as clerk
in the office of the paymaster in the United States armory, after which
he again associated himself with the Hampden bank and remained until 1880.
Then he launched forth into the west, locating at Hartford, North Dakota.
The next year he sold out and went to Fargo. There he formed a partnership
with N. K. Hubbard and they started the Goose River Bank at Mayville, North
Dakota. This was very successful and after three years Mr. Loomis
sold his interest to his partner and went to Chicago, where he took a seat
on the board of trade. Tiring of city life he came to Okanogan county
on the recommendation of friends. This was in 1886. Mr. Loomis
immediately bought an interest in the farm of Guy Waring and established
a trading post, under the firm name of Waring & Loomis. Later
Mr. Waring removed to Spokane and left Mr. Loomis in charge of the business.
In May, 1888, Mr. Waring sold his interest to G. H. Noyes and the
firm was known as J. A. Loomis & Company. They did a fine business
and prospered from the start. Larger buildings were needed to accommodate
their goods and trade and this continued until the fall of 1894, when the
entire business was closed up.
While in Chicago Mr. Loomis married and left
his young wife in that city until he should get established in the west.
What was his horror in the winter of 1887 to receive a telegram three months
old, that told of the mortal illness of his wife. The untimely death
so preyed upon him that he never recovered his wonted cheerfulness.
After a long and painful illness, in 1898,
near Spokane, he died, leaving one child, Evera, who is living with relatives
in St. Albans, Vermont.