Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
LAWSON A. LOUNDAGIN is with his
brother, James O., in the mercantile business under the firm name of Loundagin
Brothers. They carry a well assorted stock of general merchandise
and do a good business, being men of progressive ideas and good business
qualifications and methods. They have by their affability and genial
ways together with careful attention to the wants of customers, gained
for themselves a fine patronage and their trade is constantly increasing.
Lawson A. Loundagin was born in Waitsburg,
Washington, on June 30, 1878, and his brother was born there on August
8, 1870. Their father, George W., was born in Tennessee in 1832,
whence he went to Benton county, Arkansas, and married Miss Rhoda J. Steward,
born in Indiana in 1840. In the spring of 1861 they joined Captain Hastings'
train and came across the plains to Walla Walla. They had one son
at time of starting, William J., and another was born on the road.
They landed in November, 1861, and the following spring, Mr. Loundagin
took land near where Waitsburg is now situated and there he owns today
about eight hundred acres. He and his wife live retired in the town
of Waitsburg. They are both devout members of the Christian church
and have been the parents of fourteen children, William J., Robert W.,
Mrs. Eva I. Hoover, Isaac A., deceased, John B., Mrs. Mollie Meinberg,
Olive, deceased, Mrs. Minnie M. Hester, James O., George A., Mrs.
Jennie R. Riggs, Cora B., Lawson A., and Mrs. Myrtle M. Nopp. Our
subject assisted his father on the farm and received a good education from
the common and high schools, being through with this before he reached
his majority. Then he entered the flour mills and became an expert
miller. After some time at this he came north and on September 13,
1900, he arrived in Chesaw and here has been engaged since. His brother,
James O., graduated from the high school and the Waitsburg academy, after
which he went to Chicago and studied law. Later he completed an assaying
course in the Pullman college and after that followed mining in eastern
Oregon. In 1898 he came thence to the reservation and took charge of the
Yakima mining properties. This continued until 1900, when he and his brother,
our subject, entered into partnership and bought the store of Stowell &
Campbell, which they have operated since. They carry a stock of general
merchandise, such as gents' furnishings, dry goods, drugs, groceries and
general supplies. They also own a half interest in the Myers Creek
Publishing Company and our subject is editor in charge of the Myers Creek
News, a bright sheet of weekly appearance and which ever keeps at heart
the interests of the section and brings forth its resources and advantages.
Fraternally, Mr. Loundagin is affiliated with the Eagles and the R. N.
On December 18, 1901, Mr. Loundagin married
Miss Caroline M., daughter of Henry J. and Mary E. (Bruce) Abbey.
The father is deceased and the mother is living in Waitsburg. The
mother was born near Waitsburg as was also her daughter, Mrs. Loundagin.
Mr. Loundagin and his charming wife are highly respected young people of
Chesaw and have shown themselves to be possessed of intelligence and a
progressive spirit while their labors and kindness have won for them hosts
of friends and a generous prosperity.