Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
CHARLES S. McFARLANE gives his
attention largely to farming and stock raising. He is established
about one half mile west from Anglin post office in the valley of Bonaparte,
being also a skillful black smith. He has erected a shop and does work
in that line for the accommodation of the surrounding country. His place
is one of the finest in the valley and was located on October 10, 1900.
He took up the third water right on the creek and has a valuable estate.
He has already dug various ditches, fenced the land, put a large portion
under cultivation, erected a fine, commodious residence, put about three
acres in orchard besides various other improvements, all of which indicate
the industry and energy of Mr. McFarlane.
Charles S. McFarlane was born on December
7 1862, in Detroit, Michigan, the son of John W. and Lucinda (Godfrey)
McFarlane. His father was born in Maine and during the last thirty
years of his life, followed blacksmithing. His wife was born in a
log house in Bachelor's Grove where Chicago is now situated. It was afterwards
used for a school house and later was torn down and the wood made into
canes as relics of the first house in Chicago. Mr. Solomon Godfrey, the
father of Mr. McFarlane's mother was one of the very first settlers in
that vicinity. In 1849 he went to California. His wife, the mother
of Mrs. McFarlane, died in Spokane in 1900, aged seventy-four. To Mr. and
Mrs. McFarlane six children were born: Charles S., the subject of this
article; Frank, Mrs. Mary Pixlee, George, Harry and Mrs. Nellie Waterhouse.
Charles S. went with his parents to Sioux
City, Iowa, in early days and in 1874, went to Pueblo, and then to Del
Monte, California. There his father was master mechanic in Senator Bowen's
large stamp mills. In April, 1885, the family landed in Spokane as the
final incident of an overland trip from Colorado. Our subject then entered
partnership with his father, in farming and stock raising and soon came
to Brewster with a band of cattle. He was the first posmaster at Olema,
having come there in the spring of 1891. In 1898, he came to the vicinity
of Wauconda post office and located a mining claim, where he erected a
road house and also cut bunch grass for hay, which found a ready sale in
Republic at forty dollars per ton. Then as stated above, he located his
present ranch, where he has lived since.
In April, 1893, Mr. McFarlane married Miss
Louise Frees, a native of Denmark, where her mother is still living. The
father was a minister of the gospel and died there sometime since. Mrs.
McFarlane came with her brother to the United States in 1890 and settled
in Okanogan county. To this marriage, four children have been born, Frank
W., Frederick M., Toroda, and Edgar A. Toroda was born at Toroda, and the
miners being very anxious that she should receive the name of the camp,
bought her a very fine watch with that name engraved upon it and she is
now known as Toroda. Mrs. McFarlane's mother is now living at Spokane,