Obituaries A

Okanogan County, Washington

Surnames A

ADAMS, John Q.
ADAMSON, William
AGENS, John L.
ALBRIGHT, Mrs. George H.
ALDEN, Mrs. F. I.
ALLEN, Harry
ALLEN, Mrs. Walter
ASHLEY, Charles
AYERS, Alfred D.

G. M. Adams  Added 07/18/09
G. M. Adams, a pioneer of this county, living at Pateros, died Thursday of last week at the Deaconesss hospital at Wenatchee. He was born in Oregon City, Oregon, in 1856. He moved to Okanogan county in 1889. Funeral service was held at Pateros last Sunday.
The Pateros Reporter - Pateros, Washington - September 1, 1922

John Quincy Adams  Added 01/30/09
John Quincy Adams Died Here Thursday
Another of the pioneers has gone.
Although not an old timer in this immediate vicinity, John Quincy Adams, who died Thursday morning, was truly a pioneer. Born in Ohio, February 26, 1835, he was the oldest of a family of nine children. When he was still a boy, the family moved to Kendallville, Indiana, and in 1870 Mr. Adams moved further west, settling in Kansas. He moved to Washington in 1891, locating in Garfield county. In July 1903, Mr. Adams came to Conconully, and from that time until his death made his home with his daughter, Mrs. G. A. Weeks.
Although not related to the Adams family that gave the country two of its presidents, Mr. Adams' parents named their son in honor of one of them.
Surviving relatives of Mr. Adams are three brothers living in Indiana and his daughter, Mrs. G. A. Weeks, of this city.
The Okanogan Record - Conconully, Washington - January 3, 1913

William Adamson  Added 07/18/09
Found Dead
Wm. Adamson, a farmer of Bear Creek, and a bachelor, was found dead in his bed at his home Wednesday noon by E. H. Durham, a passer-by, who called at Adamson's place at that time and getting no response to an alarm at the door, walked into the house. The man had been bleeding at the mouth, and is supposed to have come to his death from paralysis. Dr. J. B. Couche, deputy coroner was notified at once, and yesterday morning went to the house to view the corpse.
Adamson came here about two years ago from Badger mountain, across from Wenatchee, in Douglas County. With a brother he bought the McCormick place on Bear Creek. The brother died just after the property was purchased. Adamson continued alone in the cabin. He was regarded an an eccentric character, mixed little with the public, and formed few friendships. He was well-to-do, aside from owning property, having money out at interest. Little is known of his family. He is supposed to have a sister in Bellingham, and a brother in Scotland. He was about 63 years of age. Funeral will be held today, interment being made in Sullivan cemetery.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - December 9, 1910

John L. Agens  Added 8/16/06
Death Of J. L. Agens
J. L. Agens died on November 29 at his home in Conconully. The funeral service was conducted at the Methodist church in that town Saturday afternoon by Rev. J. F. Ford. The following obituary has been handed The Independent:
John Agens was born in Detroit, Mich., March 13, 1855. When he was a small boy he moved with his parents to Ute, Iowa. From there he moved to Oklahoma, where he married Mrs. Henry Berry. They came to Washington in 1906 where they spent most of their time since. Those surviving him are his two children, Mrs. Curtis Dilley and Roy Agens and his step-daughter, Mrs. James Barnett.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - December 4, 1917

Mrs. George H. Albright  Added 01/30/09
Another Pioneer Crosses The Divide
Mrs. George H. Albright, of the Lime Belt, about midway between Riverside and Conconully, died Tuesday night. She leaves two sons, Samuel A. and George F., and one daughter, Anna, to mourn her loss. Mrs. Albright had been a widow for about five years. Mr. and Mrs. Albright were pioneers of the county. Mrs. Albright having lived on the homestead for the past fourteen years.
The funeral services were held Thursday from the Riverside M. E. church. The sermon, preached by Rev. G. F. Graham, was said by those hearing it to be a most beautiful tribute to the memory of one of the county's best and most highly respected citizens.
Both of Mrs. Albright's sons and her daughter were present at the funeral, her son George arriving just too late to see his mother alive.
Mrs. Albright was ill but a short time, death being caused by an acute attack of appendicitis.
The Okanogan Record - Conconully, Washington - July 11, 1913

Mrs. F. I. Alden  Added 6/16/06
Mrs. F.I. Alden aged 70 years and three months died in Oroville Sunday, after a long illiness and the funeral took place Tuesday morning, Elder J. W. Pursley officiating. The deceased was the wife of the well known old veteran F.I. Alden, who has the sincere sympathy of the community in his loss. She united with the Methodist church when but 15 years of age. The Aldens have lived at Molson and in Oroville for a number of years. Besides the aged husband the deceased leaves a son and daughter.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - August 3, 1923
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

Charles Allemandi  Added 10/17/07
Charles L. Allemandi Funeral Held Monday
Funeral services for Charles L. Allemandi, 69, were held from the Barnes chapel in Oroville on Monday, April 12, 1954 at 2 p.m. the Rev. Carl Lindstrom of the Baptist church officiating. Burial was made in the Riverview cemetery.
Charles Allemandi was born September 4, 1885, at Marseilles, France. He came with his family from France to Butte, Montana where he spent his boyhood. Later in life he moved to Nighthawk and then to Oroville where he has resided until his death. In 1916 he was married to Florence Hagerty in Seattle and she preceded him in death in 1926. He later remarried to Mabel Anderson in 1932. He was a member of the B.M.W.E. Union. He has been failing in health for the past five years and passed away at his home in Oroville on April 9, 1954.
Surviving are his wife, Mabel; two daughters, Rosalie and Mrs. Peggy Brumbaugh; two sons, Monroe and Gene. One daughter preceded him in death in 1952.
Abstracted from the original - The Oroville Gazette - Oroville, Washington - April 16, 1954
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

Dorothy Allemandi  Added 10/17/07
Funeral services for Dorothy Eileen Allemandi, 16, were held February 11, at two o'clock at the Barnes Funeral Service chapel the Rev. N. A Christensen, pastor of the Oroville Baptist church preaching the sermon. Burial was made in the Oroville I.O.O.F. cemetery.
Dorothy Eileen Allemandi was born on August 15, 1930 at Nighthawk, Washington. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph M. Allemandi of Nighthawk. It was with a sense of loss and shock that her many friends learned of her death on Saturday, February 8, 1947 at her home after an illness of only a few hours. As reported here she first complained of a terrible headache and a short time later lapsed into unconsciousness from which she never recovered.
She is survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph M. Allemandi, three brothers, Lorenz R., Joseph A., and James; and two sisters, Opal H. and Vera (Mrs. Claude F. Kramer).
Abstracted from the original - The Oroville Gazette - Oroville, Washington - February 14, 1947
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

Harry Allen  Added 6/16/06
Harry Allen left for Spokane Tuesday to consult physicians. He has been ailing for some time, and a severe pain in the region of the groin indicated symptoms of appendicitis. He decided that it would be well to undergo a thorough examination before it was too late and hence the trip to the city.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - February 23, 1912
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

Word was received here Monday of the death of Harry L. Allen that morning at Spokane, the result of an operation that he had undergone Tuesday of last week. His wife and son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Jas. H. Porter, were with him when he passed away. Some four or, five weeks ago Mr. Allen, who had been suffering for months from some ailment that physicians seemed unable to diagnose, went to Spokane for medical treatment. He did not improve, and an operation was decided to be necessary. A portion of one lung, upon which a long abcess had formed, was removed. He rallied from the effects of the operation, and the first reports from his bed side were encouraging, but his vitality had been sapped by the inroads of disease and Monday morning he succumbed.
The deceased was one of the pioneers of northern Okanogan county coming west from South Dakota some 23 years ago, and first locating at Conconully. From thee he moved to Loomis where he resided until some five years ago, when he took up a homestead near Wanicut Lake. He followed freighting in the earlier days before the railroad was built into the country, and was well known throughout the central part of the county.
Mr. Allen was born in Minnesota and moved to the Dakotas in early life, coming to Washington from that state. He had reached the age of 50 years. He was an indulgent husband and father, a kind, sympathetic and accommodating neighbor, a genial, in industrious and law abiding citizen, and his untimely death is regretted and deeply deplored by a large circle of old friends and acquaintances. The remains arrived in Oroville Wednesday evening, and the funeral took place at Loomis Thursday. He was buried beside two of his children who had preceded him to that bourne from which no traveler returns.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - September 20, 1912
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

The funeral of the late Harry L. Allen, that took place at Loomis Thursday afternoon, was one of the most largely attended that has ever taken place in the county. The casket was buried in flowers, the loving tributes of old friends and neighbors. Funeral director L.W. Barnes, of this place, had charge of the interment.
Mr. and Mrs. Jas. H. Porter, of Spokane, who came in with the remains of the late Harry L. Allen last week, the father of Mrs. Porter, will spend some days on the ranch with Mrs. Allen before returning home. Some years ago Mr. Porter had charge of the Pacific Coast Telephone system in this county, with headquarters at Loomis. He was married at that place, subsequently moving to Spokane, where he is employed with the Washington Water Power Company.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - September 27, 1912
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

Mrs. Walter Allen  Added 6/16/06
Mrs. Walter Allen died of tuberculosis at the Riverside hospital on Wednesday. She was formerly Miss Adair, of Loomis, where she lived for a number of years and grew up from childhood. The funeral took place at Loomis Friday. The young couple are well known in the Loomis neighborhood and the bereaved husband has the sympathy of a large number of friends.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - August 30, 1918
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

Charles Almquist  Added 9/15/06
Aged Pioneer Passes Away
Died, at his home a short distance north of Molson, January 11th, 1915, Charles Almquist, aged 77 years, 9 months, 4 day.
Funeral services were held at the residence Wednesday, Jan. 13, Rev. C. C. Pratt officiating, and interment took place at the Molson cemetery. A large concourse of sorrowing friends attended the funeral.
Deceased has been a resident of Molson and vicinity for many years. He was born in Sweden April 7th, 1837, and came to America in 1861, and was married in Porter county, Indiana, July 17, 1863, to Miss Hattie Marie Johnson, who survives him. Of this union eight children were born, three of whom died in infancy. Those living are Louella M. Starkweather of Cambridge Minn., Chas. Wm. Almquist of Molson, Wash., Hattie Isabelle Clover of Isanti, Minn., Frances Eliza Lucas and Arthur Raymond of Spokane, Wash.
Grandpa Almquist was a noble man and was loved and respected by all who knew him. He was a a good husband and loving husband and will be sadly missed by his relatives and friends. He was a devout and conscientious Christian for many years and went down into the dark valley of the shadow with the sulime faith that all was well.
The Molson Leader - Molson, Washington - January 15, 1915

James P. Anderson  Added 6/16/06
James P. Anderson Touches a Live Wire Carrying 16,500 Voltage
On of the Most Shocking Accidents That Has Ever Occurred In Oroville
James P. Anderson, owner and manager of the Oroville telephone system, was almost instantly killed at 10:10 o'clock Monday morning by coming in contact with a high tension electric wire carrying 16,500 voltage, that connects the substation in town with the power plant at the falls of the Similkameen river.
Monday morning C.C. Hedger, local manager of the power plant and in charge of the distributing system, was notified by the contractor building the Covert block that some of the wires were in the way of the masons, with the request that they be removed. Mr. Hedger's assistant was busy on another part of the net work of lighting and power lines about town, and Mr. Hedger engaged Mr. Anderson, an experienced line man, to assist him to shift the wires. The substation is at the corner of the alley, facing Central avenue, between Main and Vancouver streets, and in the immediate rear of the Covert block. There are two poles in front of the station a few feet apart upon which the high tension wires are strung, carrying 16,500 volts. Mr. Anderson attached his climbers and mounted to the highth of about 30 feet and straddled a cross arm on the pole on the east side, with his right foot resting on a guy wire. Mr. Hedger was on the ground at the foot of the pole, directing the change. Brackets were to be nailed on the pole, and two were attached to a rope and hoisted to the cross arm. Mr. Anderson remarked that one bracket was sufficient for the purpose, but Mr. Hedger insisted that two should be put up as he did not wish to take the chances of the low tension wire coming in contact with the high tension wire. He also instructed Mr. Anderson to put the brackets on the outside of the pole as far from the high tension wire as possible, and warned him of the voltage carried by the large wire. Just as Mr. Hedger made this statement a sharp crack was heard that attracted the attention of the masons working on the Covert building. Mr. Hedger looked up and saw Mr. Anderson's face distorted and his arms around the pole as though he had involuntarily grasped it. He called up asking if he (Anderson) was hurt, but received no answer. In a moment or two the unfortunate man's body relaxed and fell limply to the ground. Dr. Efner was at once called. There was a slight fluttering of the heart but no signs of consciousness. Death had followed the shock almost instantaneously.
The only way to account for the accident, as he was firmly seated at the time and hence could not have lost his balance, is that Mr. Anderson, for some reason that cannot be understood and never can be explained, deliberately reached over toward the high tension wire, which was some two feet from where he was sitting, with his left hand. His hand never came in contact with the wire, but when close to it the electric current jumped across to the hand. The wire is insulated, but the rain Sunday had left the pole, insulation and ground wet. Mr. Anderson's foot was on a guy wire grounded, so that the conditions and the position of the man were perfect for forming a circuit. The completing of the circuit when Mr. Anderson was struck caused a sharp crack that attracted the attention of several in the immediate neighborhood, who were horrified to see the poor man waver for a few moments and pitch heavily to the ground. The only marks to show the course of the electricity were slight burns on the sole of his right shoe. When the body was prepared for burial there were small burns on the bottom of both feet. Friends broke the sad intelligence of the accident to Mrs. Anderson, at the telephone office, as gently as possible. It was some moments before she could fully realize the import of what was told her, and she was prostrated for a time. Kind friends and neighbors did all in their power to aid and comfort her in her sudden affliction.
The accident was one of the most shocking and deplorable that has ever occurred in Oroville. Mr. Anderson came to this county nearly twenty years ago, first locating at Loomis. He came to Oroville some six or seven years ago, taking up a homestead east of town. He was a carpenter by trade, but has done much work on telephone and electric power lines, and was accounted an exceptionally efficient line man. Some three years ago he realized the need of a local telephone system, and installed the one now in use. With but limited means at this common it was a hard struggle to make the project self- supporting, and only by sheer pluck and the most careful management was he able to keep the system in operation. Through his exertions the business had just about reached that point where there were prospects of its paying well when he was taken off.
James Peter Anderson was born in Denmark February 15, 1866, and died in Oroville September 29, 1913, making him 47 years 7 months and 14 days old. He came to the united States when he was about 20 years of age. He lived in Nebraska nearly two years, and moved from that state to Seattle, where he resided for seven years, when he moved to Okanogan county where he has sinced lived. He was married to Mrs. Luella Welling at Spokane, June 2, 1908. He leaves a wife, one son, two daughters, two step sons, four step daughters, and a father and two sisters in Denmark. Mr. Anderson was widely known throughout the north part of the county, and he was one of the most popular residents of this place. He was public spirited, industrious, upright in all his dealings, of a sunny disposition that endeared him to all who knew him. In his death this community loses one of its most valuable and best liked citizens and the wife and family a devoted husband and loving father. He was a member of the Loomis lodge of Odd Fellows, Rebekahs and Eagles. The funeral took place Wednesday afternoon from the M.E. church; Rev. A.H. Mortan officiating. The casket was covered with flowers, and flowers were banked up in front of the alter, testimonials of love from many friends. The church was crowded until there was not even standing room in the vestibule, and many stood patiently outside the building during the services. The local Odd Fellows and Rebekahs turned out a body. Fully twenty members of the Odd Fellows and Rebekah lodges of Loomis, of which the deceased was a member, and representatives from Tonasket and Molson were present. Interment was in Odd Fellows cemetery, and the funeral cortege was the longest ever seen in the county. At the grave the Odd Fellows took charge of the ceremonies. The large crowd that took part in the last sad rites bore silent testimony to the popularity of the deceased in his life time.

I desire to take this means of expressing my sincere and heart felt thanks to the many friends and neighbors, of the family for the sympathy and many acts of kindness extended to me and my family at the time of my great affliction in the death of my husband.
Mrs. J. P. Anderson.

Page 3
Coroner McCampbell was up from Okanogan Tuesday, called here by the accidental death of J.P. Anderson. After learning the particulars of the accident he decided that it was not necessary to put the county to the expense of an inquest.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - October 3, 1913
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

Matt Anderson  Added 08/17/07
The first adult death of the year in the Methow valley occurred yesterday when Matt Anderson, a new-comer, succumbed to pnemonic phthisis. The unfortunate man passed away at 11 o'clock, after a brief illness, the doctor having been consulted first only the day before his demise.
Deceased came to the valley last summer with his wife and two children, removing shortly afterwards to the Blakely ranch, which the people had intended to buy, but were disappinted in some financial arrangements. Prior to coming here, Anderson worked in the Smelter at Butte, Mont., where he contracted a severe form of consumption. He enlisted under the doctor's care upon arrival, and was making most remarkable recovery, when the early part of the week he exposed himself to the weather, getting his clothing wet, and failed to care for himself when he returned home. He was taken suddenly ill, and went almost at once unconscious, from which he did not recover.
No definite arrangements for the funeral were announced at the time of going to press. Relatives of the deceased have been notified, and the body may be held until their arrival. The deep sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved family.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - December 17, 1909

Alden Armstrong  Added 04/05/08
Alden Armstrong, the seventeen-year-old son of Mrs. Henry Armstrong, died Friday night. The young man had been a sufferer from infancy from heart trouble and had never been in very robust health.
The funeral was held Thursday morning from the Yarwood undertaking parlors, a large number of friends and relatives of the lad attending, and accompanied the remains to the grave.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - December 2, 1916

Hazel Armstrong  Added 07/10/10
Death Claims Hazel Armstrong Yesterday
George Armstrong received word yesterday that his daughter Hazel had passed away at the Mountain View Sanitarium near Tacoma early that morning. The body is expected to arrive on the train tonight and the funeral will be conducted by Rev. H. R. Page at 2:30 Wednesday afternoon at the Yarwood undertaking parlors. Interment will occur in the local cemetery.
Hazel was a victim of tuberculosis and for some months past had been taking treatment at the sanitarium. She was a graduate of the Okanogan grade and high schools, finishing the four year course of the latter with the class of 1917. She was active in student affairs and popular with her classmates. Her death will be deeply regretted in this place where she has grown to young womanhood, and her bereaved parents have the sympathy of the community. The funeral will be held under the auspices of the local lodge of Knights of Pythias.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - April 20, 1920

Hazel Armstrong Buried.
The funeral of Hazel Armstrong was held Wednesday afternoon at the Yarwood undertaking parlors and was attended by a very large number of sympathizing friends of the young lady, whose body arrived Tuesday night from the Mountain View Sanitarium, where her death occurred Monday. Rev. Herman R. Page read the funeral service.
Deceased was 21 years of age and was born in Mississippi. She had been a resident of Okanogan since 1909, coming here with her parents from Indiana. She was a studious and ambitious young lady and after graduating from the Okanogan high school in 917 went to the Bellingham normal where she had hoped to graduate, but illness overtook her and she was finally forced to give up her school work and wage an unsuccessful battle for her health.
Hazel was of a sunny disposition and justly popular with her schoolmates and all others with whom she came in contact, and her death is universally mourned in the community.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - April 24, 1920

John M. Arnold  Added 4/30/06
John McKinney Arnold
John McKinney Arnold, born in Texas July 11, 1857, passed away at his home at Early Winters May 8, 1914, aged 56 years, 9 months and 29 days.
Mr. Arnold has been failing for a number of years with stomach and bowel trouble, fibroid growth setting in and causing complete obstruction, from which there was no relief, and at 5:14 p. m. Friday he peacefully passed to the Great Beyond. He leaves a wife, Temperance Union (Buoy) Arnold, a son, Louie, and a daughter, Mrs. Sylvia Parkinson, all of whom reside in the valley.
His was a sunny nature and he always had a smile for his many friends. He was very devoted to his family and was a good husband, a kind father and a splendid neighbor. He came to the Valley July 3, 1904, and located in Twisp where with his family he resided for a number of years. He ran a meat market in Winthrop up to a year ago, when his failing health compelled him to get out of active business and he retired to his fine ranch.
The funeral services were conducted from the Methodist Church in Heckendorn Sunday afternoon, where Prof. Dow spoke many words of hope and comfort to the bereaved family and friends, and the body was laid to rest in the beautiful Sullivan Cemetery.
The family have the sympathy of the community in their bereavement.
Mrs. Arnold and family wish to extend their thanks to the many friends who were so kind and thoughtful during the sickness of their husband and father, and also for the beautiful floral offerings.
The Methow Valley Journal - Winthrop, Washington - May 14, 1914

Charles Ashley  Added 04/20/07
Chas. Ashley Dead.
The community was shocked last Saturday when the report was circulated that Charles Ashley had died suddenly that morning of heart failure. Mr. Ashley was at work in his garden when he was striken. His wife was but a short distance away at the time. Hearing her husband fall, she rushed to his side. He was unconscious but breathing. She summoned neighbors but before they arrived the unfortunate man was dead. A few days previous Mr. Ashley had been suffering with stomach trouble, but was not considered seriously ill. His death came as a surprise and shock to his many friends.
The body was brought to the undertaking parlors of Armstrong & McCampbell where the funeral was held Sunday afternoon. Rev. Fred J. Hart had charge of the religious exercises and Armstrong & McCampbell conducted the funeral which was largely attended.
Mr. and Mrs. Ashley came here several years ago from Montana and have been engaged more or less in hotel and restaurant work. They have been living on a homestead near Spring Coulee for some two or three years.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - May 31, 1912

Edward Aveldson   Added 07/10/10
Deaths and Funerals
Edward Aveldson, a resident of the orchard section on Pogue Flat, died Thursday. The funeral will be conducted today at the residence by Rev. Herman R. Page. Interment will be made in the Okanogan cemetery. Deceased was 55 years of age.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - May 29, 1920

Alfred D. Ayers  Added 08/17/07
Lightning Is Cause of Death
Gold Creek Rancher, A. D. Ayers, Standing Under Tree, Receives Bolt and Is Instantly Killed Tuesday Evening.
Alfred DeWitt Ayers, a rancher of Gold creek was struck by lightning and instantly killed Tuesday evening at his home about four miles up Gold creek.
Mr. Ayers had been working in his garden near the house and when a little shower came over, instead of going into the house he stepped over under a tree, until the passing of the storm would permit him to resume his work. The lightning struck the tree under which he was standing, the full current, evidently, striking the unfortunate young man, death being instant.
Mr. Ayers has been a resident of Gold creek about four years, coming there from Chelan. He was 28 years of age, and is survived by his young wife and two small children. He was a member of the Modern Woodmen, and carried insurance in that order. The young man was highly esteemed in the neighborhood, and those who knew him said he was of the progressive, enterprising type, and was carving out a valuable and comfortable home for his family on Gold creek, where he had settled.
At the time of the accident his wife was in Twisp with Mr. Buckmaster, having dental work done. The ladies left town just before the news of the unfortunate man's death reached here. Neighbors are doing everything possible to assist the bereaved wife and family, who have the deep sympathy of the entire community in their irreparable loss. The body was taken to Chelan for burial Wednesday.
Dr. Couche, who has been a practicing physician and health officer here for about ten years, as well as the oldest settler, verifies the statement that this is the first death in the Methow valley by lightning, the occurrence being very rare, in fact, in the state. There are frequent electric displays in the heavens within the observation of this locality, but lightning strikes only infrequently in the higher elevations of the surrounding mountains, and little or no damage has been reported heretofore, other than to the trees of the forest.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - August 25, 1911


©2006-2009. Judi's Genealogy. All rights reserved.