Obituaries B

Okanogan County, Washington

Surnames B

BAKER, George E.
BAKER, Ferdinand
BAKER, Katherine
BANNER, Mary Ann
BARTELL, Frank Sr.
BARTELL, William
BARTON, Ellis G.
BATIE, Fanita B.
BAUM, Frank M.
BEER, Peter
BELL, Daisy
BERRY, Hazel
BILLUPS, Mrs. Loyd
BODEY, Bessie May
BOLIN, Charles M.
BOLIN, Jackson
BONAR, James W.
BOND, Hannah
BONESS, Minnie
BONING, William
BRECHLIN, Friedricka
BRECKBILL, Mrs. Charles
BRICT, Stanley F.
BROWN, Benjamin
BROWN, Daughter
BROWN, Justus
BROWN, Mattie E.
BUCHANAN, Thaddeus M.
BURGAR, Mrs. A. P.
BURGETT, Sherman
BURKE, Thomas
BURNS, Evelyn
BUTLER, Edward J.

George E. Baker  Added 07/10/10
Geo. E. Baker, Pioneer Settler, Is A Suicide
Body Found On Shore of Columbia River.
Evidently Shot Himself, Then Fell Into Stream, Sometime Last Fall.
A corpse found in the Columbia river below Pateros last week has been identified as the body of George E. Baker, an old time resident of this section. A coroner's jury, impaneled Monday, determined that Baker had been a suicide.
A search of his home, on the Douglas side of the Columbia, about three miles from Central Ferry, uncovered a crumpled letter in a coat pocket, reading as follows:
"Farewell to this world. So long as the river flows, so long as the heart has passion, so long as life has woes;
"If there is anything left after settling up debts of my property
"Please give it to some charitable purpose.
"I forgive all and hope that those who have hated me will be sufficiently avenged.
"May God have mercy on them.
"Malignant influences in past years has done much to discourage me and I no longer care to live in a world of mental turmoil of so may conflicting forces."
The body was decomposed, but the right side of the face was not entirely so, and Sheriff Harry E. Stark thought he recognized the body as Baker's when he was called to the scene of the discovery Friday last. The authorities satisfied themselves that Baker had shot himself on the right side of the head and the bullet had torn out a part of the left side.
Baker disappeared about the middle of September. Before leaving he had told his neighbors, the Tuttles, that he was going to turn out his horses and go the Wenatchee to work during the winter. His house had the appearance of being left only temporarily. The body was clothed with two pair of trousers, and some wheat kernels and chaff were found in the pockets.
Sheriff Stark is making an effort to locate relatives of the deceased. W. C. Wilson of this city, who was well acquainted with Baker, believes he has a brother living.
Some fifteen years or more ago Baker took up a homestead on Cherokee Strip under the government project, and made his home there until 1911. He was an Englishman, with some eccentric traits, and was sometimes known as "Lord" Baker. Previous to coming to this section it is said he was employed by Thos. S. Blyth, now a resident of Twisp, but at that time a resident of the Moses Coulee country.
Baker traded 40 acres of his homestead to W. C. Wilson in 1911, taking in exchange a ranch on Bonaparte creek, where he made his home for some years. Financial troubles overtook his and he lost the Bonaparte place on the mortgage. In the fall of 1918 he traded some horses and took possession of the place where he made his home at the time of his death. Financial worries are attributed as the cause of his suicide.
The body was found on the west side of the Columbia, seven or eight miles below Pateros, and about a mile from the Chelan county line. The finder notified Deputy Sheriff W. G. Malott, who in turn notified Sheriff Stark. Coroner Grove was unable to visit the scene until Monday, when he called a jury in the case.
Prosecuting Attorney Gresham accompanied Sheriff Stark and Coroner Grove to the scene of the tragedy and assisted in the investigation.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - February 17, 1920

Ferdinand Baker  Added 7/14/06
Death Of An Old Settler.
Ferdinand Baker better and more familiarly known as Grandpa Baker, a pioneer homesteader of the Chesaw country, died suddenly at his home on Friday evening, December 24, at the advanced age of 78 years. The news of his death was a sad blow to his many friends and acquaintances in and around Oroville, as Mr. Baker was well known here and had many friends in the community, especially among the older residents, who speak of the deceased in terms of deep affection and respect. The following sketch is taken from the Chesaw News:
"The deceased was born in Cape Cod Mass., in 1837, being 78 years of age at the time of his death. At the age of 15 he started life as a sailor, making a complete circuit of the globe on his first voyage. He followed the sea for nine years, coming west to Minnesota, then a virgin frontier land, before even the first railroad had crossed the border into that state. He settled near Lake City, Wabash county, south-east of where St. Paul and Minneapolis are now located. He acquired land and also managed a large farm for a brother, who also accompanied him west. It was during his residence at Lake City that he met and married Miss Caroline Clark, who came out from Ohio with her parents and settled in Wabash county. His aged wife survives, together with three sons--Stanton and Willis, of Chesaw, and Jesse, of Wahpeton, N. D.; and daughter, Mrs. Rowena Aspenwall, living at Minot, N. D., but who was visiting at the home of her parents at the time of his death.
"During his sojourn in Minnesota, Mr. Baker was also engaged in the mercantile business and later had interests in the first flour mills in that state. After 22 years of active life in that state Mr. Baker moved westward again to North Dakota, settling near Wahpeton, where he lived 18 years. In the fall of 1901, shortly after the opening of the north half, he settled on the place of Knob Hill which he held until his death."
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - January 7, 1916

Katherine Baker  Added 6/16/06
Katherine Josephine Baker died at her home here Thursday of last week. The funeral was held from the Methodist Episcopal church Sunday, Rev. James Opie conducting the services. A large concourse of people attended the services, filling the church to its capacity and the floral offering was one of the handsomest ever seen here.
The deceased leaves a husband, James Baker of this place. No other relatives are known. She was born in Pennsylvania, Nov. 5, 1866, and was 55 years, 2 months and 1 day old at the time of her death.
The remains were prepared for burial at the Barnes Undertaking parlors.
Mr. and Mrs. Baker lived for many years at Nighthawk before coming here and have been widely known in this part of Okanogan county. Mr. Baker is engaged in business near the depot.
The esteem in which the deceased was held in this community was evidenced by the large number that attended the funeral.
Death was due to cancer.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - January 13, 1922
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

Mary E. Ballard  Added 08/17/07
Pioneer Woman Dead.
Mrs. Mary E. Ballard Succumbs at Auburn.
Auburn, March 12.--Mrs. Mary E. Ballard, one of the oldest pioneers of the state of Washington, died here this afternoon at the age of 76 years. Mrs. Ballard's husband, the late Dr. Levi W. Ballard, preceded her in death nearly 12 years ago. Aside from a stepson, Capt. W. R. Ballard, of Seattle, she leaves her own sons, Charles H. Ballard, of Nevada; Hazard I. Ballard, of Okanogan county, Wash.; Leon F. Ballard, of Bainbridge island; and Arthur C. Ballard, of Auburn, Wash.
Mrs. Ballard, formerly Mrs. Condit, was born at Morristown, N. J. She was married to Levi W. Ballard in 1857, and following her marriage she and her husband embarked for the Pacific coast, coming by way of Cape Horn. They arrived at Portland, Ore., in 1858, aboard the old vessel Northern Light, where Dr. Ballard practiced medicine until 1864, when the couple moved to what is now the townsite of Auburn, taking up 160 acres of land in the White river district. Later a part of their holdings was platted into the townsite of Auburn.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - March 19, 1909

Mary Ann Bannar  Added 08/17/07
Mrs. Geo. Bannar.
Heart failure was the cause of the sudden death last Sunday, July 30, of Mrs. Geo. Bannar, esteemed wife of one of our pioneer citizens, at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.
Mary Ann Bradley was born in Jackson county, Kansas, Dec. 5, 1850, being in her 66th year at the time of her death.
About ten years ago she married Mr. Geo. Bannar, who survives to mourn her departure, as well as a son and daughter by a former marriage, Thos. Alexander, of Puyallup, and Mrs. Nora Ross, of Portland, the late Mrs. B. J. Rowley of this place, also being a daughter. Mrs. Bannar has been a resident of this locality for many years, and in her death there is removed from this community one of its best loved characters.
Funeral services were held from the home at 3 o'clock Monday afternoon, Prof. Robt. Dow, of Winthrop, conducting the services. The floral offerings were profuse and beautiful, the singing being by a mixed quartette. Interment was made at Beaver creek cemetery. The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved husband and children.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - August 4, 1916

Roy C. Barnes  Added 06/21/07
Drowned In Cameron Lake
Roy Chester Barnes was drowned Friday evening at Cameron Lake on the reservation. The body was recovered the following morning, and after being prepared for burial was shipped to Ellensburg, the former home of the family, yesterday morning.
It is thought that heart trouble was either the direct or indirect cause of death. The young man was rejected from the army on account of that ailment. He was swimming in deep water, and gave a cry of distress, but a companion was unable to reach him. No water was found on the lungs.
Deceased was the son of W. S. Barnes, who is operating the Z. B. Brown homestead under lease. He was 26 years old and unmarried.
Undertaker Ed. Yarwood prepared the body for shipment.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - August 20, 1918

Clyde Barriclaw  Added 06/04/10
Clyde Barriclaw Dead
Clyde Barriclaw of Conconully died Tuesday after an illness of some two weeks from pneumonia. The funeral was conducted Friday afternoon and interment made in the Conconully cemetery.
Barriclaw was a relative of Charles Lovejoy of this city and had lived in Conconully for some fifteen years past. He was serving as postmaster of that town at the time of his death, having been appointed to the position upon the resignation of Mrs. Mary Dillabough several years ago.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - April 8, 1919

Frank Bartell, Sr.  Added 6/30/06
Death Of Frank Bartell, Sr.
Frank Bartell, Sr., died at his home in Oroville Wednesday afternoon about 1 o'clock, after a lingering illness, aged 62 years 10 months and 11 days.
The death of Mr. Bartell was not unexpected, as he has been gradually failing for several months and the best medical advice in the country could give no hope of his recovery, but when the news was passed from mouth to mouth Wednesday afternoon that the old resident had passed away there was universal expression of reget among the people with whom the deceased has lived for so long a time. He had been identified with the business history of the place since the coming of the railroad some thirteen years ago.
The deceased was born in Wisconsin October 10, 1855, and moved to the Dakotas a number of years ago. When he first came to Okanogan county he located in the Methow valley, but attracted to Oroville by the building of the railroad he came here thirteen years ago and engaged in the mercantile business. He retired from active participation in the business a few years ago, turning it over to his sons. He leaves a wife, four children, all grown, and a number of other relatives to mourn his death. His children are George W. and Frank Bartell, Jr., Mrs. Margaret Miller, of Seattle, and Mrs. J. A. Hagerman, of Twisp, all of whom were present at the time of his death. The deceased took little active part in public affairs, but in his business relations he made a multitude of friends by his kindly disposition and uniform courtesy and integrity. In his death Oroville loses one of its oldest and most substantial citizens. The sympathy of the community goes out to the bereaved family in this hour of the irreparable loss.
The funeral will take place from the Methodist church this Friday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - August 23, 1918

William Bartell  Added 07/12/09
William Bartell, of the Twisp hotel, for the past several months suffering from dropsy and other complication, died yesterday morning, Thursday, November 2, shortly after seven o'clock, at his bedside being his wife and two sons, Gaylord and Frank.
The family has been residents of Twisp for the past eighteen years, and many friends will deeply sympathize with them in their hour of sorrow. Two daughters, Mrs. Joe Werdick, and Mrs. Eurith Mulligan, have been notified at Seattle.
Funeral services will be held tomorrow, Saturday morning at the M. E. Church in charge of Undertaker R. B. Kenison, Rev. Miss Apel conducting the services, at 10 o'clock.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - November 3, 1922

Ellis G. Barton  Added 01/30/09
Ellis G. Barton
Ellis G. Barton, the young civil engineer, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Barton, who was taken suddenly ill Tuesday night of last week, died Thursday night, shortly after nine o'clock, being a victim of the incurable lukaemia, which in its advanced stages brought on cirrhosis of the liver and spleen, amply demonstrated in a post mortem examination.
Deceased was born at Sioux Falls, South Dakota, May 15, 1896, being 21 years and 24 days of age at the time of his untimely demise. His death was a shock to the community, occuring so soon after he had seemed in the full bloom of health and happiness. Only Tuesday night of last week he was chosen to preside at a public meeting held to consider the Fourth of July celebration, and it was two hours after that meeting his awful malady seemed to lay hold. Before morning his condition was reported critical, but Wednesday he rallied, and Thursday his mother, who was with him from soon after the time he was taken ill, until he died, held long conversation with him, reading him letters from loved ones, and the two spent the day happily together, not realizing that death would be so soon. Towards evening he began to get uneasy, and by nightfall hemorrhages resumed their violence, his death occurring at 9:15.
While the deceased was a resident of the valley only a few months, his congenial personality, enthusiasm, commendable public spirit and ambition won for him a host of good friends who recognized in him a young man of sterling worth and noble character which, a pride to his parents, commended him to the approbation of a large circle of acquaintances.
Recently, with Earl McFadden, he purchased the confection, fruit and stationery business of Valentine Bros., and the enterprise of the two young men was making itself felt in the rapid growth of the business under their management. He was the popular first baseman of the Twisp ball club, and one of the last acts to his credit was the movement started by him to reorganize the Twisp band, his death occurring on the night set for its first meeting. His free-heartedness and generous, sunny disposition, his high ideals of morals and integrity will make him long remembered among his associated and chums.
The funeral was held Saturday afternoon, June 10, at two o'clock from the family home, two miles south of town, Rev. M. P. Stoute, of the M. E. church conducting the Episcopal service. The floral offerings were profuse and beautiful, the valley's choicest flowers being collected into pieces of beautiful designs. W. M. Rambo directed the funeral, interment being made in Beaver Creek cemetery. The six pall bears were A. J. Hope, Arthur Krug, H. W. Henry, Arthur Ketchum, Ray Sackett and Earl E. McFadden, the honorary pall bearers being the Misses Myrtle Rambo, Loleta Risley, C. A. Headington, Marion Chittenden, and Mrs. A. J. Hope. Mrs. J. M. Scott, Mrs. H. E. Marble, Leonard Staples and H. E. Marble composed a mixed quartet rendering the beautiful hyms favored by the bereaved family. The funeral cortege that followed the bier from the house to the cemetery was one of the largest even seen in this section, nearly 300 people taking advantage of the opportunity to show the esteem in which they held the young man, and sympathy to the bereaved parents and sisters.
The entire community join in extending deep sympathy to the sorrowing family.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - June 16, 1911

Fanita Bliss Batie  Added 07/12/09
Little Batie Girl Drowns In Ditch
Left Asleep in House, Wakens and Toddles Out to Open Waterway Unobserved, Falling Into Swift Stream
Another very sad death was recorded last Saturday afternoon when the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Batie, Fanita Bliss, innocently and unobserved, toddled along a pathway leading across an irrigation ditch, accidentally falling into the water, met death by drowning.
At the point where the child fell into the ditch the water runs swiftly and the little body was carried down stream a distance of about a hundred feet, where it lodged, and was discovered within a few minutes afterward, when search had been made for the child that was missing.
Mrs. Batie and children had come down to spend the afternoon with her sister, Mrs. Will Thurlow. Leaving the child supposedly asleep, the ladies went into the berry patch nearby, and were picking berries within just a short distance of where the ditch runs. Wakening up soon after their departure, supposedly, the child started out, and giving no alarm, was gone before it was known that the child was not sound asleep in the house. Medical assistance was immediately summoned, but the unfortunate little girl was beyond recover. A bruise on the little one's head is thought to have stunned her in the fall, but death was due, no doubt, to drowning. Mr. Batie was a his ranch at the time and was also notified.
Fanita Bliss was born February 4, 1910, and died July 1, 1911, being nearly seventeen months old.
The funeral was held Sunday morning at ten o'clock from the Beaver Creek school house. Rev. C. M. Bolin conducting the service, interment being made in the Beaver Creek cemetery. Quantities of beautiful floral offering were brought by the large concourse of sympathizing friends who deeply sympathize with the grief-stricken parents and family. The pallbearers were Iva Hancock, Ora Filer, Violet Bolin, and Hazel Peterson; the honorary pall bearers being Misses Ella Hancock, Grace Fulton, Mary Metcalf, Myrtle Rambo, and Mrs. John Ramm. Music was furnished by Mrs. J. M. Scott, Mrs. J. C. Barton and Miss Agnes Barton, the funeral being under direction of Sexton W. M. Rambo.
The entire community is deeply grieved at the sad death of the little girl and extend their heartfelt sympathy to the sorrowing family in their hour of inconsolable grief.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - July 7, 1911

Frank M. Baum  Added 04/18/10
Frank M. Baum Dead.
Frank M. Baum, a pioneer of the Inland Empire, is dead in Pasedena, Cal., according to a Portland report.
Mrs. Baum had charge of the Wells Fargo express office in Spokane in 1884 and 1885. He was at one time auditor of Okanogan county and was elected state senator from Spokane county in 1897. He engaged in farming on a large scale in Whitman county and has been engaged in the manufacturing business at Portland. --Spokesman-Review.
Mr. Baum is well known to the early settlers of this county, having lived for a number of years at Conconully some quarter of a century ago.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - February 8, 1919

Lyle Bawlf  Added 06/04/10
Lyle Bawlf Dead.
Lyle Bawlf, son of Mrs. Mary Bawlf, a pioneer resident of the Loop Loop section, died in a hospital at Cle Elum last Wednesday, the result of an accident that befell him while at work in a logging camp near that city. A logging skid slipped, allowing a large log to roll over him, injuring his stomach seriously and badly lacerating his intestines. Gangren set in and he died one week after the accident.
The unfortunate lad's mother and sister, Mrs. G. W Owens, went to Cle Elum as soon as they were notified of the accident and were with him at the time of his death. The body was brought to Malott where he was buried Sunday last beside the remains of his father who died here several years ago.
Lyle Bawlf was born May 12, 1894, on the Little Loop Loop. Deceased was of an amiable disposition and leaves many friends besides a mother, sister and brother to mourn fro him. He was baptised at Cle Elum and requested that it be stated that he had forgiven all who might have injured him in any way and asked that if any one thought he had at any time injured them that they forgive him.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - July 8, 1919

John S. Baxter  Added 7/14/06
John Stanley Baxter Is Called By Death
John S. Baxter, manager of the shoe department of C. E. Blackwell & Company, died shortly after noon Tuesday after an illness of about seven weeks. The body was shipped Wednesday morning to Spokane, accompanied by Mrs. Baxter and Mrs. Florence Gallagher of Portland, a sister, who was with him during his illness. At Wenatchee, Gail Baxter, a brother, met the bereaved family. Interment was made in the family plot in Spokane, after services in the chapel of the Smith Undertaking Company.
Mr. Baxter was taken sick late in January, and had at one time apparently recovered, when a relapse resulted in his death. The news came as a shock to his many friends here. Members of the Masonic lodge of which deceased was a member, accompanied the casket to the depot, where a large crowd of friends awaited it. Arrangements for the funeral were largely in the hands of the Masonic bodies with which he was affiliated.
Deceased is survived by his wife, by a small son, Bobby, his father, living in Anchorage, Alaska, two brothers and two sisters. The name of one brother is Gail, who resides in Seattle. The name of the other who lives with his father in Anchorage, could not be learned.
Mrs. Baxter, it is stated, will remain for the time being in Spokane, where she has relatives.

John Stanley Baxter
John Stanley Baxter, known among all his friends as Jack, was born in Detroit, Mich., August 31, 1891. When he was but a few years old, the family moved to Spokane, where Mr. Baxter spent a large part of his life until he reached the age of manhood. His mother died shortly after the family settled in Spokane, and his father had gone to Alaska, where he interested himself in mining.
He began a career in the shoe business with the Crane Shoe Company of Spokane, whose head, George T. Crane, occupied the position of foster-father to the Baxter children following their mother's death and owing to the absence of the father in Alaska. Mr. Crane has an orchard near Brewster, and happened to be in Okanogan at the time of the death of his former employe.
Mr. Baxter had continued in his position with the Crane Shoe Company for a number of years, going then to Portland, where, during 1913 he was with Olds-Wortman-King of that place. Following that he spent a year with his father in Alaska, being in an engineering party surveying the government railway there. He returned to Olds-Wortman-King, and in the fall of 1916 came to Riverside, where he entered the employ of C. E. Blackwell & Company, where he remained until his death. He was manager of the shoe department of the store.
In 1914 he married Velva Thomas of Winlock, Wash. One child, Bobby Baxter, was born in Okanogan February 8, 1920.
Tributes to his character and good nature are made by his many friends. He was a member of Okanogan Lodge No. 169, F. and A. M. and also of Okanogan Chapter No. 41, R. A. M. Mr. Blackwell, his employer, said that no word could be said that would properly show his personal appreciation of his industry and ability, or that would be a fit tribute to his pleasant personality, devotion to his family and his business. "He was a find young man," said Mr. Blackwell, simply.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - April 1, 1922

Peter Beer  Added 9/30/06
Old Rancher Inflicts Death Would On Self
Peter Beer Of Riverside Is Accident Victim.
Met Death While Hunting on Ranch Monday--Body Found on Tuesday.
Peter Beer, 62, a rancher living near Riverside, was found dead Tuesday morning on his place by an employe, who missed him and instituted a search. Beer lay on his back with his rifle across him. A bullet had entered the man's body below the ribs at the front, passing out at the back just beneath the shoulder. Coroner L. S. Dewey and Sheriff Eli Wilson were notified Tuesday afternoon, and left immediately to view the body.
Coroner Dewey stated that all evidence pointed to accidental death, adding that there was no sound evidence that the man had come to his death by suicide or at the hands of another. Near the body was lying a prairie chicken and traps with which the man evidently was engaged in baiting coyotes. He had been missing since late Monday afternoon.
It was found by papers in the dead man's jackets that he had a daughter named Nellie, who, in 1913, resided in Girard, Kas., being then about 16 years old. No other information respecting the man's relatives could be gained. Efforts will be made to locate the daughter, while inquiries are being conducted in the neighborhood of Riverside by the sheriff's force in an attempt to discover the dead man's kinsmen.
Beer owner a large well proved tract of land four miles north of Riverside. A large amount of hay; well kept stock of chickens, pointed to easy financial circumstances. Check books found in the man's pockets reveal that he had sums of money in an Okanogan bank. Several thousand dollars worth of various kinds of property remains on the ranch.
The dead man was brought here by Ed Yarwood. Funeral services will be held from the undertaking parlors Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. G. F. Graham officiating. Burial will be in the Okanogan cemetery.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - October 29, 1921

Daisy Bell  Added 03/15/07
Miss Daisy Bell is Summoned by Death
"In the midst of Life we are in Death."
Miss Daisy Bell, who was stricken with spinal meningitis a little over two weeks ago, passed away on Tuesday evening last. Nothing that loving care and the best medical attendance could devise was left undone, but all to no avail.
Funeral services were conducted by Pastor Thomson at the Presbyterian church Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, and were largely attended, as were the services at the cemetery. The pall bearers were Misses Olgar and Orril Gard, Essie and Cecil Bidwell, May Culbertson and Dollie Lindsay.
Deceased was a bright, winsome girl of 16 years and six months, loved and respected by a large circle of friends and acquaintances, who will mourn her untimely demise with sincere grief. The only relatives residing here are a brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. Ben Liptrap, and a younger sister Amy. The father and two brothers live in Wyoming.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - June 27, 1908

David H. Bennett  Added 07/12/09
Homesteader Takes His Life
David H. Bennett, of Cub, Creek, in Temporary Aberration Yields to Impulse to End Life - Death Instant.
With a piece of rope not more than a foot long from the knot around the rafter to the noose about his neck, David Henry Bennett, a homesteader of Cub Creek, took his life last Sunday evening; death being instant. The unfortunate man, the only cause for whose rash deed is assigned to despondency, had become temporarily unbalanced, and on the impulse, took the step that caused the forfeiture of his life.
Dave was spending Sunday at his brother's home, and had been invited by Mrs. Bennett to stay for supper. When the meal was prepared, Mrs. Bennett called Dave, and getting no response, went to the barn to be confronted with the ghastly sight of the body suspended from the rafter, lifeless. Neighbors were sent for and Deputy Coroner J. B. Couche notified. The doctor states death was instant, the neck being dislocated in the drop. Not a struggle had been made. A rider was sent to Slate Creek for Charles, brother of the deceased.
Funeral services were held Wednesday forenoon, interment being made in Winthrop cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Bennett, brother and sister-in-law of the deceased, are deeply grieved, and have the sympathy of the entire community in their sorrow.
Bennett came here four years ago from Missouri, and took a homestead adjoining that of his brother, Charles. The brothers were on the best terms; Charles' home was a refuge for Dave.
Deceased was about 38 years of age, a native of Missouri. He was an honest, earnest worker, and had many friends in the community. His financial affairs were in good condition. His many friends regret that impulse lead him to commit the rash deed.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - August 25, 1911

Ed. Benson  Added 12/28/06
Death Of Ed. Benson.
On Tuesday, Nov. 2, Ed. Benson, an old resident of Oroville, was most shockingly burned at a cabin he was occupying, just across the line in British Columbia, not far from Molson. Benson was living at that cabin while cutting wood on a claim he held across the line. He started a fire in his stove and poured on what he thought to be Kerosene. The fluid proved to be gasoline and an explosion followed enveloping the unfortunate man in flames. Before the fire was extinguished Benson was frightfully burned from the ankles to his stomach in front and up to almost under his arms on his back. His hands were fairly cooked and the arms horribly burned. Benson was brought down to the Oroville General hospital, where Dr. Efner did all in his power to eleviate the sufferings, but owing to the extent of the burns had no hope from the very first of saving his life. Benson held out tenaciously, but suffered excruciating pain. Owing to his intense suffering it was necessary to administer narcotics frequently. For a time there seemed hope of his recovery but during the latter part of last week he commenced failing and died Sunday. The funeral took place from Barnes' undertaking parlors Tuesday afternoon.
Little is known of the anticedents of Ed. Benson. He came to Oroville in 1907 and built the large boarding house on Spokane street known as the Riverside hotel. He engaged in the wood business and also farming at times. Some days before his death he willed his property, consisting of some real estate and live stock, to S. C. Mitchell, but hardly enough will be realized from the sale of the property to pay the doctor, hospital fees and the undertaker. He claimed to have relatives living, but refused to give any information as to their whereabouts. Benson was a man of powerful physique, at times his life in this community was stormy and he was far from a model patient in the hospital. However, those who knew him best claim that like all men he had his redeeming qualities and surely in his tragic death he attoned for any and all shortcomings. May he rest in peace.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - November 26, 1920

Louis Benson  Added 6/16/06
Louis Benson died suddenly at the home of Wm. Reeder, living a few miles south of Oroville, Monday evening, presumably of heart disease. In the evening he went out to feed the stock as usual, and not returning Mr. Reeder went out to the stable and found the unfortunate man unconscious. Everything possible was done for the stricken man, but Benson never regained consciousness, dying in a short time. The deceased, who was quite advanced in years, had made his home with Mr. Reeder for several years and is said to have a son and daughter living at La Grande, Oregon.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - January 13, 1922
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

Hazel Berry  Added 01/05/07
Death Of Hazel Berry.
Following is the account published in the Friday Harbor Journal of the recent accidental death of the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Will Berry, formerly of this place:
Wednesday of last week the entire community was thrown into mourning, when word was received that Hazel, the little 3-year old and youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. M. Berry met with an accident that cost the little one her life.
Mrs. Berry and little ones, Harriet, Helen and Hazel, Mrs. H. P. Walrath and children, Dawn and Rosa, went out on the Walrath beach that the little ones might enjoy the afternoon near the water, much to the little people's delight, as this was the first opportunity the Berry children had of playing on the beach since their extended visit to New York and other Atlantic coast states.
The little party had only arrived at the beach when the terrible accident occurred. A log, which had lain across the path so many years it was considered a part of the very beach itself, so stationary did it seem to be. Yet, in some manner, after the other members of the party had crossed over, this log rolled, the end striking little Hazel near the base of the brain, death was instantaneous. By a miracle or unseen force the log lodged in a crevice of rock, thereby sparing the loss of two other children, Helen and Rosa, who were directly in front of it.
While the mothers of the little ones were right by them at the time, everything happened so quickly they were absolutely unable to lend any assistance.
Dr. Agnes Harrison was called at once, but the little one, who had been with us less than four years, but who had spread much love and sunshine where she went, had gone to her Maker, to make a place in the land of everlasting light for the loved ones here.
Funeral services were held at the residence, Rev. F. E. Eastman officiating; interment in the Woodlawn cemetery.
She leaves to mourn her loss, an affectionate father and mother, two sisters, a large circle of relatives and a host of friends.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - June 26, 1920

Frances Bettinger  Added 09/04/07
Mrs. Frances Bettinger
Died--Frances Bettinger, wife of John N. Bettinger, Friday, September 20, at 4:15 p.m., aged 34 years and 23 days.
Deceased was the daughter of Mrs. Martha Wiggins and the late Andrew J. Wiggins. She was born at South Arm, Mich., August 28, 1878, coming to Spokane twelve years ago with her parents, where for some years she was a teacher in the schools. In June, 1911, she was united in marriage with John N. Bettinger, of Texas creek, their home being on the Bettinger ranch until three weeks ago when they moved temporarily to Twisp, where Mrs. Bettinger might be under care of medical skill.
The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at 1 o'clock from the Church of Christ, directed by Undertaker E. M. Thomas, Rev. Lawrence Stephens conducting a consoling and beautiful service. Mesdames F. E. Selner and H. E. Marble, and Messrs. Geo. W. Sprouse and H. E. Marble, composed a mixed quartet furnishing music. The pall bearers were Messrs. E. G. Preston, C. J. Casad, M. H. Thomas, W. L. Singer, L. L. Mullin and Joe Delvendahl.
Her death is deeply mourned by a husband and infant daughter, four hours old, and her mother, who were present as life passed away. Shortly before she died, Mrs. Bettinger revived, named her baby, and gave little Pauline to her mother, she said, to take the place of her little sister, Pauline, who had gone on before, and whom she would soon follow. Mrs. Bettinger was an active member of the M. E. church, and her lovable disposition was such as to gain her the high esteem and affection of all her acquaintances.
A large concourse of sympathizing friends followed the remains to the Beaver creek cemetery where interment was made, a number of Carlton neighbors joining at the cemetery.
The floral offering were profuse and beautiful.
The sorrowing husband, mother and infant daughter, have the deep sympathy of the community in their irreparable loss, which is a loss to the whole community.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - September 27, 1912

Mrs. Loyd Billups  Added 11/30/06
Found Dead In Her Bed
Last Friday morning Mrs. Loyd Billups, living in the south part of town, was found dead in bed. Mrs. Billups had been a sufferer from turburculosis for some time, but she attended the revival meeting at the M. E. church the night before, and apparently was feeling better and was in better spirits than she had been for some days. Mr. Billups was away from home at work. As Mrs. Billups did not appear for breakfast Friday morning a woman living with the family went to call her and discovered that she was dead. Dr. Efner was called and he found the body lying in a natural position, the face resting on one hand. Death had come during sleep and Mrs. Billups had passed away without a struggle. Dr. Efner attributed death to heart lesion. The family came here from near Chesaw, where the remains were taken for burial. Mrs. Billups was a native of Missouri, some 30 years of age, and leaves a husband and three children to mourn her loss.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - January 16, 1920

Perry W. Blackler  Added 8/16/06
Oroville Aviator Killed
This county lost one of its very promising young men when Aviator Perry W. Blackler, of Oroville, lost his life at Uncle Sam's aviation field at Americus, Ga., Monday of this week.
Young Blackler went into service early in the war but failed to get a chance to go across, being detained on this side in the capacity of trainer of student flyers. He was rated as one of the most daring flyers the Georgia camp ever turned out. He met death by a fall of 1,500 feet in a German Foker in which he was riding.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - May 14, 1920

Abigail W. Blackwell  Added 04/30/07
Mrs. George A. Blackwell
Mrs. George A. Blackwell of Riverside was called by death last Saturday morning at 5 o'clock, after an extended illness. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon, the services being in charge of Rev. George F. Graham. Several auto loads of friends from Okanogan attended the funeral.
We quote the following biographical sketch from the Riverside Argus: "Abigail Wells Blackwell was born in Chicago, April 4, 1849. She was married in that city to Mr. Blackwell, June 4, 1875, removing to Tacoma in 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Blackwell came to Conconully in 1891, removing to Riverside in 1905, where they have since made their home. She leaves her husband, George A. Blackwell, sister, Mrs. Annie Kelly, of Denver, Colo., and son, C. E. Blackwell.
"Mrs. Blackwell has been an active church worker all her life. She was devoted to her flowers, which she shared generously with everybody, and for which her garden was famous, was very fond of music and all dumb animals.
"For many years Mrs. Blackwell sang in concerts and at charitable entertainments. Her most notable achievement in that line was at the great concert given by the associated churches in Tacoma in the late 80s, for the benefit of the Johnstown flood national relief fund. All of her helpful life has been spent in assisting others.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - March 30, 1915

Bessie May Bodey  Added 6/30/06
Death Of Mrs. Bodey
One of the saddest and most regrettable deaths that has occurred in Oroville for a long time was that of Mrs. Bessie May Bodey, wife of that well known locomotive engineer, A. E. Bodey, who has had a run out of this station for some time. Mrs. Bodey died at St. Joseph's hospital at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon, where she had been taken from her home some days before for treatment. The lady had been quite ill for some weeks, but the immediate cause of death was hemorrhage of the brain. She seemed stronger and in better spirits Saturday morning than she had been for days, but suddenly collapsed in the early afternoon and died within a few minutes.
The deceased was born in Wyoming January 26, 1880, and hence her age was 36 years and 11 days. She leaves a husband, three children and many friends in this community to mourn her untimely death. No services were held in Oroville. The remains were prepared for shipment, and Tuesday morning were taken to Vancouver, Washington, where burial will take place under the direction of the Eastern Stars, of which order she was a prominent member.
During her residence in Oroville Mrs. Bodey made many friends who loved and admired her for her kindness of heart, her amibility, for those endearing virtues that make for a womanly woman. Her death is sincerely mourned and regretted by all who had the pleasure of knowing her in life. She was a devoted wife, a loving guide and counselor to her children and a kind and sympathetic neighbor. The sympathy of one and all in the community goes out to the stricken husband and motherless children in this hour of their deep affliction.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - February 11, 19 16

Baby Boesel  Added 07/12/09
A sad accident occurred last Saturday at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Albert J. Boesel, twelve miles above Winthrop, on the North Fork, when their little seventeen-months' old son was drowned in the Methow river. This sudden accident came as a most severe shock to the parents of the little fellow, and the sympathy of the entire community is with them in their sad bereavement. The funeral service was held at the Methodist church at Heckendorn on Sunday afternoon last, at 2:30, Rev. Ricketts preaching the sermon. The body was in charge of Undertaker Thomas.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - October 30, 1914

A. E. Boggs  Added 01/05/07
Death Calls A. E. Boggs.
Influenza and its dreaded ally, pneumonia, again proved fatal in the community when A. E. Boggs succumbed Friday evening, following a brief illness.
Mr. Boggs was able to be around for some days before being confined to bed, and developments proved that the disease had so firmly fastened its tentacles in his system that he was almost beyond medical aid. For several days he lay in a precarious condition before being finally over taken by death.
He leaves a wife, Mrs. Ida E. Boggs, and four children, Mildred, Irene, Ernestine and Raymond. The other members of the family have also had influenza, but have recovered, except Mrs. Boggs, who is still obliged to keep her bed. He is also survived by his father, W. M. Boggs of Riverside.
A. E. Boggs was a member of the local lodge of Odd Fellows, who took charge of the funeral arrangements. The burial occurred Sunday afternoon from the Okanogan Undertaking parlors.
Alva Boggs, a younger brother of the deceased, died of the same disease the previous week.
A. E. Boggs was 39 years fo age. He was born in Texas, but had lived in this state about 34 years. Before coming to Okanogan nine years ago, he was engaged in the harness business with his father at Brewster. The firm moved here after being burned out at Brewster. They retired from the harness shop business a few years ago.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - December 24, 1918

W. H. Bohannan  Added 7/26/06
Death Of W. H. Bohannan.
Word was received at this office Wednesday evening of the death of W. H. Bohannan. The sad news was slow in reaching here, as death occurred on the 6th of January, at San Diego, Cal. The deceased had a number of acquaintances in Oroville who will read of his death with feelings of regret, although it will not be a surprise, for when here last his appearance indicated that his days on earth were about numbered.
Mr. Bohannan came to Oroville first some two years ago last December looking over the country, and while here assisted in getting out a holiday issue of the Gazette. He returned to Oroville from Chase, B. C., about the first of December of last year, with the object of remaining permanently and going into the realestate business. At that time his health was very much broken and he seemed in a serious condition, but he was in good spirits, hopeful and optimistic. To all appearances he was in the last states of consumption. Cold weather coming on, he decided to go to the home of his mother at San Diago, Cal., believing that a change in climate would prove beneficial, and firm in his intention to return to Oroville in the spring. He survived the change less than a month.
Mr. Bohannan was a practical printer and a journalist of more than ordinary ability. He was one of the best hustlers we have ever met in the newspaper business. He published papers for a number of years on the coast, in Montana, California, Washington and British Columbia. Personally he was a man of high principles and integrity, with one of those genial and lovable disposition that attracts and holds friendships. Those who knew him best admired him for his sterling qualities.
Mr. Bohannan was married at Chase, B. C., some two years ago. He leaves a wife, mother, brother and a multitude of friends all over the coast to mourn his untimely death.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - February 18, 1916

Charles M. Bolin  Added 4/30/06
Rev. C. M. Bolin
The funeral services of Rev. C. M. Bolin were held at the home on Beaver Creek Friday, May 15, at two o'clock. The services at the house were conducted by Rev. Money, of Pateros. Appropriate hymns were sung by Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Marble, Mr. George Sprouse and Mrs. J. M. Scott. Messrs. Albert Zemke, R. W. Dow, Wm. G. Hughes and Louis Filer acted as pall bearers. The beautiful and impressive I. O. O. F. service was used at the grave; J. W. Faulkner, of Conconully acting as N. G., and W. L. Singer as Chaplain. The service was closed with prayer by Rev. Money. The funeral was one of the largest ever held in the Valley.
Charles M. Bolin was born near Springfield, Illinois, October 3, 1861, and died at his home on Beaver Creek, near Twisp, Washington, May 13, 1914, of pneumonia; being 52 years, 7 months and 10 days of age. For some time he was a resident of Missouri, being employed as teacher in the public schools, afterwards beginning his work as a minister of the gospel. In October, 1887, he was married to Miss Lulu Pidcock. To this union were born four sons and three daughters: Fay, Herald, Vincent and Wesley; Violet, Hazel and Rosalie. The wife and children are left to mourn the loss of a devoted husband and father.
Rev. Bolin has been a resident of Washington for a number of years. He was pastor of the M. E. Church at Odessa and in 1911 came to the Methow Valley, the doctors having ordered rest from his ministerial labors. He was a member of Twisp Lodge No. 215, I. O. O. F., holding the office of Chaplain.
At the funeral there was a large attendance of the brothers of the I. O. O. F., and also some of the Rebekahs. Friends present from Winthrop were: Mr. and Mrs. Albert Zemke, Mr. and Mrs. T. Ferrill, Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Paul, Simon Veazey, S. A. Hotchkiss, H. B. McDougal, Mrs. J. R. Albin, Mrs. John DeLancey, Mrs. Frank Biart and Lanna Lee Shugart.
Rev. Bolin will be missed in the community as he had a large circle of friends all over the Valley over whom he always had a good influence. The sympathy of the entire community is extended to the family in their bereavement.
The Methow Valley Journal - Winthrop, Washington - May 21, 1914

Rev. C. M. Bolin Dead.  Added 09/04/07
The community was shocked yesterday morning to learn the sad intelligence of the untimely death of Rev. C. M. Bolin, pastor of the local Methodist Episcopal church, and a leading character in the spiritual life of the community, who succumbed to an illness with pneumonia, and a general break-down of health, before his many friends could even realize that he was dangerously ill.
Since his arrival in the valley three years ago, Rev. Bolin has taken an active part in church work, besides doing the strenuous duties of operating a large diversified farm on Beaver creek. For the past year he has been pastor of the church here and at Winthrop and Carlton, delivering two sermons each Sunday, in addition to looking earnestly after the other branches of the up building of the church. His assignment, enough to keep any two strong men more than busy, was no doubt too great for his strength, and no doubt hastened a general physical break-down, while emoluments were not sufficient but that his livelihood had to be tilled from the soil, and the farm.
The death of Pastor Bolin is a distinct loss to the entire community. An earnest worker, ambitious and persevering, notwithstanding the many discouragements in life's battle, he was doing a praiseworthy work in this community in the spiritual work to which he had devoted a large part of his life's efforts. He will be mourned by a large circle of friends for the many good things he accomplished, and others that he undertook, and the deep sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved family.
Rev. Bolin was a native of Illinois, born near Springfield, in 1861. In October, 1887, he was married to Miss Lulu Pidcock, who with four sons and three daughters, Fay, Herald, Vincent and Wesley, and Violet, Hazel and Rosalie, live to mourn his loss.
The funeral will be held from the home on Beaver creek this afternoon a 2 o'clock, interment to be made in Beaver creek cemetery.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - May 13, 1914

Jackson Bolin  Added 04/20/07
Jack Bolin Buried.
The funeral of Jackson Bolin was held in the Methodist chapel at this place last Sunday morning at 11 o'clock, interment being made in the Okanogan cemetery. Rev. Parmley of the Baptist church, conducted the religious exercises at the church and the grave and R. F. McCampbell of the Okanogan Valley Undertaking Association had charge of the arrangements. The funeral was largely attended, deceased having been one of the early settlers in the Okanogan valley and well known. In this county he leaves five brothers, John, Wm., Eli, Jesse and Joseph; one sister, Mrs. Mary Wells. Another sister resides in North Carolina.
Jack Bolin's body arrived Saturday from Knoxville, Tenn., where on the Sunday following Christmas he met with a horrible accident that resulted in his death about twenty-four hours later. A small building in which he was asleep caught fire and before he could be extricated he was frightfully burned. As most of his relatives reside in this country it was decided to bury him here and the body was accordingly shipped to Okanogan.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - January 17, 1913

James W. Bonar  Added 01/25/07
Service Station Owner Is Victim Of A Sudden Heart Attack
James Walker Bonar, owner of the Bonar Service Station died Tuesday, June 9, 1936 of heart failure.
He was 67 years old and was born November 15 at Forest City, Iowa. He lived in Entiat for 21 years before coming to Oroville in 1930.
He is survived by his wife Mabel; sons Gordon and Bert of Oroville and Ralph of Entiat.
Funeral services were held Wednesday at Oroville with interment taking place in the family plot at Entiat on Thursday afternoon.
Abstracted from the original - The Oroville Gazette - Oroville, Washington - June 12, 1936
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

Hannah Bond  Added 6/16/06
Mrs. Wm. Bond died at the home of her son J.G. Bond, of this place Saturday, after having been confined to the house and bed for five months from the effects of injuries received in a fall on a sidewalk at Spokane. She had been living with her son since early in the spring. The unfortunate lady was just recovering from a long and serious illness at the time the accident occurred, and did not have the strength and vitality to recover from a broken hip she sustained at the time she fell. The funeral took place from the M.E. church Sunday afternoon Rev. R.T. Holland officiating. There were numerous floral offerings sent in by sympathetic friends and the attendance at the church was large.
Hannah Elizabeth Davis was born near Jefferson, Iowa, in 1850, and hence was 63 years of age at the time of death. She was one of four surviving children of a family of twelve. She was married to Wm. Bond, now deceased in 1874. Two sons were born to this union, J.G. Bond, of this place, and F.A. Bond of Pocatello, Idaho. She leaves the two sons, a brother Wm. M. Davis, of California, who was present at the funeral, one brother residing at Grand Junction, Iowa, and a sister living in California.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - August 1, 1913
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

Minnie Boness  Added 08/17/07
Mrs. Minnie Boness, beloved wife of Hugo B. L. Boness, died yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock in Twisp, where she was brought a short time ago from her home in search of medical assistance, after an illness of six weeks.
Mrs. Boness was born in Missouri in 1861, being 52 years of age at the time of her death. In 1896 she was married to Hugo B. L. Boness, three boys having been born to the happy union, being William Walter, Hugo Theodore, and Justice Ingersoll. The family came to the Methow valley to live about seven and a half years ago, settling in Texas creek valley, coming from Denver, Colo. The husband and three sons survive the wife and mother.
The husband and sons are sorely grieved at the death of their beloved wife and mother, and the deep sympathy of the community is extended to them. Mrs. Boness was much esteemed and loved by all who knew her. Her death is a loss to the valley, whose people will miss her cheerful word for all, and her disposition to make this world a pleasant place to live in.
Funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 1 o'clock from the Church of Christ, under direction of Undertaker Thomas, Rev. Taylor, of the M. E. church conducting the services. Interment will be made at Beaver Creek cemetery.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - April 11, 1913

William Boning  Added 07/12/09
Wm. Boning Flu Victim
The sad intelligence was received early this week of the death of William E. Boning, oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Boning, of Beaver creek, who was a victim of the dreaded influenza. William was a resident of Appledale, Douglas county. He was recently called to Alton, Illinois to see his dying wife, but failed to reach her before her death, and himself fell victim to the disease, his death occurring Feb. 8, at the age of 31 years. He was buried along with his wife at Alton, Ill.
For the past four years William had operated a ranch at Appledale, where he lived with his wife, and prospered. During the early winter, he was joined by his brother, Charles, who is now in charge of the ranch. Mr. Boning, father of the boys, started Wednesday for Appledale, but was warned back by his son, who stated he was taking good care of everything, and it was unnecessary for him to expose himself at this time. News of the untimely death of their boy came as a hard blow to the parents and family, who have the deep sympathy of the community.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - February 13, 1920

Robert Bookwalter  Added 07/12/09
The Bookwalter infant boy, Robert, died Tuesday, and was laid to rest at Beaver Creek cemetery Wednesday, seven days of age. The sorrowing family have the sympathy of the community in their bereavement.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - May 23, 1919

Angie Bossout
Mrs. Angie Bossuot, 79, died April 24th at the Riverview Rest Home in Pateros.
She was born in August, 1872 at Hopkinton, Iowa.
Survivors include a daughter of Brewster and a son of Burns, Oregon, 12 grandchildren and 19 great grandchildren. Her husband preceded her in death.
Funeral services were held at the Brewster Congregational Church and interment was at the Brewster Cemetery.
Abstracted from the original - The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - May 1, 1952

Mrs. C. J. Bottomley  Added 5/14/06
Mrs. Bottomley.
The news was received too late for last week's paper of the death of Mrs. C. J. Bottomley of heart failure at her home down the river. Death occurred on the evening of February 8, and was preceded by a few days' illness.
Mrs. Bottomley was born in Gibraltar in 1842, and had been a resident of Okanogan county since 1884. During her childhood she moved to St. John, N. B., and later to Boston, Mass. She was one of the pioneers of California, having lived in that state several years prior to her marriage at San Francisco to R. C. Bottomley in 1876. She and her husband lived in various parts of California until their removal to this county in 1884. Her children, Margaret J., Charles M. and William A. Bottomley, survive her and were all present at her death, as was Owen Devlin, a brother, who is a comparatively recent arrival in this county. A number of brothers and sisters of the deceased live at Boston, Mass. The funeral occurred February 9, which was attended by the old timers for many miles around, and interment was made in the Oroville cemetery.
Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - February 19, 1909

Robert C. Bottomley  Added 6/16/06
Robert C. Bottomley, a former resident of this valley and a pioneer of the Pacific coast, died at his home near Cupertina, Santa Clara County, California, September 5, Mr. Bottomley was a native of Glasgow, Scotland, and in his early days was a sailor, visiting many part of the globe. He left off following the sea many years ago and settled in California. In 1884 he came to Okanogan county at which time there were very few white settlers in the county, locating on the Okanogan river a few miles south of the present town of Oroville. He lived here several years, returning to California in 1901. He was in the 81st year of his age at the time of his death. He leaves three children, C.M. Bottomley and Miss Maggie C. Bottomley, living on the old place in this locality, and W.A. Bottomley who was with his father at the time of his death.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - September 22, 1911
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

Friedricka Brechlin  Added 5/14/06
Death Of Mrs. Brechlin.
Mrs. Julius Brechlin, of Loomis, who has been a patient sufferer for several months, passed away last week at her home, where she has resided for the past eight years. Some time ago her ailment was pronounced incurable and with great fortitude she bore up under her affliction until death came to her relief. The deceased was devoted to her family, and a most worthy wife, mother and neighbor. The following contribution gives a sketch of the deceased:
"Mrs. Friedricka Brechlin, wife of Julius Brechlin, died at Loomis, of Bright's disease, May 2, 1911. Mrs. Brechlin's maiden name was Kopp. She was born in Germany January 20, 1850, and was married to Julius Brechlin November 2, 1876. She came to the United States with her Husband in 1878, and resided a short time at Amherst, Ohio. From there the family moved to Wausau, Wis., where they resided for 24 years. In 1903 the family came west and located at Loomis, where Mr. Brechlin was interested in mining claims, and where they have since made their home. Seven girls were born to this union, three of whom, preceded the mother to the outer shore. Two of them rest at Wausau, and one, Miss Anna, is buried at Loomis, by whose side the mother was laid at rest. She leaves her husband, four daughters and one adopted child to mourn her loss. The daughters are Mrs. Paul Schultz, Miss Emma and Olga of Loomis, and Mrs. T. E. Collier and adopted child, Margaret, of Oroville. Mrs. Brechlin was a kind wife, a loving and indulgent mother. The funeral services were held at the M. E. church, Loomis, at 2 p.m., Thursday, May 4, 1911, the Rev. R. Thompson officiating. After the farewell words had been said at the church, the many friends and relatives slowly passed to view for the last time the face that rested so serenely in death. The body was then raised from its bier of wreathes, crosses and anchors of flowers, the last tribute from the hands of her many friends, and was slowly borne to its last resting place by the side of her daughter Anna, where the choir sang 'Nearer My God to Thee.' The community extends to the bereaved family its sympathy for the loss of the loved wife and mother."
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - May 12, 1911

Mrs. Charles Breckbill  Added 04/20/07
Mrs. Breckbill Dead.
The many friends of the Chas. Breckbill family formerly of this place but now of Riverside, will be shocked to hear of the death of Mrs. Breckbill, which occurred at St. Luke's hospital in Spokane Tuesday of this week. Mrs. Breckbill had been sick for two months with bowel trouble but her condition was not considered dangerous until last week, when she was removed to Spokane for an operation. The operation occurred Saturday morning and up until the death message came only favorable reports were received as to her condition.
The body was brought to Riverside for interment and the funeral was held yesterday.
Deceased leaves to mourn her death in addition to her husband, a son, Max, about six years old, and a daughter, Mrs. Champion.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - April 25, 1913

Stanley F. Brict  Added 06/21/07
Okanogan County Boy Is Killed In Action
Stanley F. Brict In Today's War Dispatches.
Resident of Chewhiliken Valley and Member of First Contingent from This County.
The war bulletin received today states that Stanley Frank Brict of Tonasket was listed among the casualties reported by General Pershing as having been killed in action.
The Independent of August 14, 1917, lists Brict among the Roll of Honor for having accepted the conditions of the new draft law without asking for exemption. On August 24th Brict was certified for service by the Local Board for Okanogan County and he left here with the first big contingent of men for Camp Lewis on September 22, 1917.
Brict was a farmer of Chewhiliken valley and so far as this paper can learn today has no relatives living in this county. His mother lived with him for a while but some two years ago went to Arizona and has been lost track of by her former neighbors. It is said he has a brother serving in the army.
The records of the Local Board show that Brict was 24 years of age at the time of his enlistment, but no mention of any relatives is made in the records of the office.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - August 6, 1918

C. E. Briggs  Added 07/12/09
Takes his own Life - Sad Death of a Well-to-do McKinney Mountain Pioneer.
C. E. Briggs, a well-to-do rancher of the upper Methow valley, and a pioneer, suicided Tuesday afternoon at Winthrop. Mr. Briggs came to town in the morning from his ranch on McKinney mountain, and that day had closed a real estate deal in the sum of $1200, receiving the money in full. A short time afterwards he went with his father to a saloon, and leaving his father in the bar room, went to an outbuilding in the rear. A pistol shot within a few seconds after his leaving the room caused an investigation, which resulted in finding Briggs with a bullet hole just above the left ear, and a smoking revolver at his feet. He lived but an hour, not regaining consciousness. No cause can be ascribed by his father or friends for the awful deed. He was in easy circumstances, financially, in apparent good health, and was well known and liked throughout the valley. Deceased was about thirty-eight years of age, and came here from Tacoma some years ago.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - June 8, 1906

Goldie Brinkerhoff  Added 09/04/07
Dies Suddenly.
Miss Goldie Brinkerhoff died suddenly at the Brinkerhoff home on Bear creek early Thursday morning. Miss Brinkerhoff came down to breakfast apparently in her usual health, returning to her room after partaking of the meal. Twenty minutes later when another member of the family entered the room Miss Brinkerhoff was found to be dead. The immediate cause of the death is not known.
For years Miss Brinkerhoff has been an invalid, but is spite of her ill health she had become acquainted with many people in the valley, and to become acquainted was to become esteemed. Her extremely amiable and patient disposition together with her accomplishments have won her a host of admirers who will be deeply grieved to hear of her untimely death. The sympathies of the whole community and of the News is extended to the bereaved family.
Funeral services will be conducted at the residence at 2 p.m. tomorrow, Saturday. Enterment will be made in the Winthrop cemetery.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - September 23, 1910

Mrs. W. H. Brinkerhoff  Added 09/04/07
Death Claims Mrs. W. H. Brinkerhoff
In the passing Thursday, March 9, of Mrs. W. H. Brinkerhoff, mother of Editor W. E. and Professor M. Brinkerhoff, of Winthrop, the upper valley loses one of its most estimable characters, endeared to all who were acquainted with her kindly manner, and whose sympathy is poured out to the bereaved sons and daughters who held their mother in closest affection. A leader in thought and deed for the betterment of mankind, the true type of mother, her useful life will hold her long in the memory of all who knew her.
Mrs. Brinkerhoff had been failing for some time, and recently contracted an attack of la grippe, which, considering her age, she was unable to rally from. She was conscious to the last, and persevering in her consideration of the loved ones around her, saying, just before her last sleep, "I had no idea it could be so fine and peaceful." And such she was through life--always smoothing the rough spots out for her loved ones, which extended to ties beyond her own immediate family.
The deceased was born in Bedford county, Pa., October 20, 1840. November 3, 1861, she was united in marriage to Prof. W. H. Brinkerhoff, to which happy union nine children were born, being Editor W. E., and Professor M., Mrs. W. C. Hanks, Mrs. Geo. Cotton, Mrs. Nettie Irving, and Mrs. Chas Milliman, all of Winthrop; Mrs. Fred Delahoyde, of Colorado, and Mrs. Ed Baker, of Oregon, who survive her, death claiming her husband sixteen years ago at Rico, Colorado, where the family resided. Deceased came to the Methow valley in 1905, joining her children who had preceded her to Winthrop, and for the past four years had made her home with her son, Editor W. E., at Heckendorn.
Funeral services were held in the M. E. church at Heckendorn, Saturday, March 11, at 10 a.m., Rev. I. B. Ricketts delivering a most comforting sermon taken from Psalms 35:14: "I bowed down heavily as one the mourneth for his mother." The funeral was attended by many people from throughout the upper valley, and the church was filled to its capacity with friends, and the floral offerinffs were profuse. Beautiful music was furnished by a mixed quartet, consisting of Miss Ethel Martin, Mr. and Mrs. Eerd Haase, and Prof. A. Hall, with Mrs. A. Hall accompanist. Interment was made in the Sullivan cemetery, the last resting place being beside her daughter, Miss Goldie.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - March 17, 1916

D. E. Broughton  Added 04/20/07
Capt. Broughton Called by Death
Capt. D. E. Broughton, one of the earliest settlers of Okanogan county, died at his home on Salmon creek midway between this city and Conconully Wednesday night. Cancer of the stomach from which he had been suffering several months, was the direct cause of his death.
Capt. Broughton was in the neighborhood of seventy years old. He came to this county from Ellensburg about 1886 and settled at Ruby, then a flourishing mining camp. A couple of years later he located on a creek bottom ranch several miles below Ruby and raised garden truck for the miners. This place has been his home ever since with the exception of two years that he had the land rented.
Deceased was an old Indian scout who had spent most of his life on the frontier. For years he was in the government service and those who knew him best say that his superiors had great confidence in his ability to accomplish delicate undertakings among the Indians. It is related that when Broughton was assigned a task he perferred to do it alone and could scarcely be induced to accept the company or assistance of any of his fellow soldiers.
H. A. Harris of this city, who has spent a quarter of a century in Okanogan county, was well acquainted with Broughton, having known him first in 1872 at Sioux Falls, Dakota. Harris who was a blacksmith, outfitted Broughton with miners' tools for a prospecting trip into the Black Hills when that section was first opened to mineral entry. Broughton spent many years there prospecting and fur trading with the Indians.
So far as known here Broughton's only living relatives are two brothers. One named Cash, lives in Sioux Falls now and another, Amos, is a resident of New York state. It is said that the old captain willed his property to the latter before dying.
The funeral is to be held this morning in Conconully at 10:00 o'clock and will be largely attended by old pioneers of the county who, strangely enough, are holding their annual picnic today at Ruby, a few miles from the old man's home and the scene of his death.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - June 14, 1912

Benjamin Brown  Added 10/15/06
Benjamin Brown Dead, Aged 81
Benjamin Brown, one of the earliest of the Okanogan settlers, died at his home on Little Loop Loop creek near the head of Pleasant valley. Brown had lived on this pioneer ranch 34 years. The funeral will be conducted Wednesday at 2 p. m. at the Yarwood Undertaking parlors in this city and interment will be made in the Okanogan cemetery.
Deceased was past 81 years of age. He was born February 29, 1940. Consequently his birthdays occurred only on leap years and he took occasion to celebrate these events by inviting all his neighbors in. Every four years the old timers gathered for the quadrennial picnic, which was very often held in the snow, as at that time of year snow generally covers the ground at the elevation of the Brown home.
Benjamin Brown was born in Iowa and at an early age drifted west to California where he engaged in mining. In that state he was married and moved to this section in 1887 with his wife and three sons. His wife died 25 years ago and the sons have moved away and for several years past the old man lived alone on his place.
The surviving sons are William Brown of Arizona; Isaac Newton Brown, whose address is unknown, and Charles Brown of Spokane. The latter was present at the time of his father's death.
Ben Brown belongs to the old class of trail blazers whose efforts have made it possible for the present day generation to enjoy the benefits of civilization in this far west land. He was not much of a man to co-mingle with the later generation of new arrivals in the country, but among his old friends and neighbors he was popular and held in highest esteem.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - April 26, 1921

Brown Daughter  Added 07/10/10
Deaths and Funerals.
The little daughter of Rev. and Mrs. David Brown died Tuesday afternoon after a few days illness. The funeral was held Friday morning at the pioneer Pogue home north of town. Rev. C. J. Boppell of Omak conducted the service and a choir from the local Presbyterian church of which Mr. Brown is pastor, rendered music.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - May 29, 1920

Justus Brown  Added 07/12/09
The death of Justus F. Brown occurred at the home of his brother, Turner Brown on last Thursday morning. Funeral services were conducted at the Brown home, Friday afternoon, by Rev. Geo. E. James, of Pateros, interment being made in the Methow cemetery. Justus F. Brown was born in Louisa County, Iowa, April 17, 1878 and died at Methow, May 27, 1915. He leaves two sisters and three brothers to mourn his death. Though he was a cripple from the age of four years, deceased was of a cheerful and optimistic disposition. A large procession of friends and relatives accompanied the remains to their last resting place.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - June 4, 1915

Mattie E. Brown  Added 06/21/07
Mattie E. Brown.
Synarep, Wash., Jan. 10, 1918.
Mrs. Mattie E. Brown, wife of Arthur Brown of Synarep, Wash., died at the Okanogan hospital on January 3rd. The remains were brought to Synarep on Saturday the 5th, and laid to rest in the cemetery. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Wann of Riverside. A very appropriate sermon was delivered from Micah 6:8. Mrs. Brown was about 32 years of age. She leaves a husband and seven children, also an aged mother, sisters and brothers to mourn her loss. A sister, Mrs. Frost, from Oroville, will remain with the family for the present. Deceased was a member of Tunk Creek Grange.
J. H. Clepper, Sec.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - January 19, 1918

J. J. Browne  Added 10/31/06
Death Of J. J. Browne.
Hon. J. J. Browne, of Spokane, died in that city suddenly Monday of this week of neuralgia of the heart. He had been in poor health for months, and a slight exertion running to catch a street car, brought on the fatal attack.
Mr. Browne has been identified with Spokane since 1878. Jas. N. Glover, A. M. Cannon and J. J. Browne were really the founders of the town that has grown to be a metropolis. Mr. Glover is the only survivor of the triumvirate, as Mr. Cannon died several years ago.
Mr. Browne took a prominent part in the affairs and upbuilding of Spokane. He was at one time owner of the daily Chronicle, and found the Browne National bank. During the hard times of 1893 the bank like many others, went to the wall. But in this instance was witnessed the almost unprecedented case of a bank president being appointed receiver of his own defunct bank. Mr. Browne proved that this confidence in his integrity was not misplaced, for the Browne National was one of the few wrecked banks that paid out every dollar of indebtedness.
Mr. Browne owned extensive land holdings within the city limits, much of which he managed to hold through the depression, and this land eventually made him a very rich man.
Being a democrat his opportunity for political advancement in Washington was not encouraging, and the only elective public office he has held in the state was that of member of the constitutional convention.
Mr. Browne was instrumental in the organization of the Bank of Oroville, and owned that institution until only a few months ago when it was transferred to other hands.
The writer first met J. J. Browne in the winter of 1882-3, and the friend ship then formed has lasted unbroken down through the succeeding thirty years. He also had the honor to serve in the constitutional convention with the deceased, and in that body Mr. Browne won the respect and confidence of his colleagues for his earnestness and activity in advocating and supporting such measures as promised the greatest benefits to the state about to be organized and the people thereof. His was a kindly and charming personality and his death will be deeply mourned especially by those old timers who knew him best.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - March 29, 1912

Thaddeus M. Buchanan  Added 7/14/06
T. M. Buchanan, A Pioneer, Is Called
Thaddeus M. Buchanan, one of the pioneer settlers of this locality, was called by death Monday. He was 62 years of age on March 1st last. The funeral will be conducted from the Baptist church in this city Wednesday at 2 p.m. Rev. C. S. Treadwell will conduct the service.
Deceased was born in Yancey county, North Carolina, and in 1900 left that state for the west, coming direct to Okanogan county. He took up a homestead near the mouth of Pleasant Valley, the present site of the Boston-Okanogan apple orchard, selling his place when this project was promoted several years ago and purchasing a piece of land lying nearby.
Deceased is survived by his wife and eleven sons and daughters, as follows: Mrs. Hester Carlton, Mrs. Ella Graves, Mrs. Etta Smathers, Mrs. Fanny Hussey, Mrs. Nina Garrett, Miss Molly Buchanan; Walter, Wiley, Rufus, Linden and Ralph.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - October 10, 1922

Gertrude Bumgardner  Added 07/12/09
A sad accident occurred on Wednesday evening of last week on the Columbia river, when the fourteen-year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bumgardner, Miss Gertrude, was thrown from the Central Ferry and drowned. The family has many acquaintances in this section who will be sorry to hear of the misfortune. The ferry had crossed to the Douglas county side, and as the ferryman was hunting up a rope on shore with which to make the craft fast, the ferry stared out to mid-stream, with the two ladies aboard. In a swift current in the middle of the river the ladies could not handle the ropes of the ferry successfully, but were thrown overboard by them, the mother being saved by catching on a guide rope, where she was later rescued from the dangerous position by a near-by rancher. All attempts to recover the body of the daughter have proved unseccessful.
The Pateros Reporter - Pateros, Washington - June 28, 1907

Viola Bumgarner  Added 05/23/07
Viola Bumgarner
Brewster - Viola Bumgarner, 92, of Brewster, died Friday, Feb. 14, 1992, at Harmony House Convalescent Home at Brewster.
She was born July 9, 1899, to James and Nettie (Riggan) Strong, at Cuney, Ark.
She married Plaskie Crowder in 1914. He died in 1918. She then married Haywoood Grey in 1920, and he died in 1934. She then married Roy H. Bumgarner Feb. 6, 1935, at Malvern, Ark. He died in 1971.
They moved to Brewster in 1947.
Survivors include two sons; six daughters; one brother; 23 grandchildren; 29 great-grandchildren; and 25 great-great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her three husbands, a daughter, and a sister.
Arrangements were by Barnes Chapel at Brewster.
Abstracted form the original - The Wenatchee World - Wenatchee, Washington - February 16, 1992
Submitted by Ilene Jeffers

Mrs. A. P. Burgar  Added 06/21/07
In Memorium.
Mrs. A. P. Burgar
The sad news of the death of Mrs. A. P. Burgar reached Twisp last evening in a telegram from Mrs. H. F. Warner, daughter of deceased.
Mrs. Burgar died at the home of her daughter in Helena, Mont., on Thursday morning, October 2. Mr. Wm. Burgar, son of deceased, left on receipt of the telegram for Helena, riding horseback to Pateros during the night to catch the morning boat, and will arrive there Saturday morning.
The news of Mrs. Burgar's death came as a shock to the people of this vicinity, although not wholly unexpected. Mrs. Burgar was very well known, being a pioneer of this section, and well loved by all who knew her. Her death will sadden a large number of homes. Her good deeds in this community, and her sunny disposition will long be remembered. Mrs. Burgar was one of the foremost public-spirited citizens of the Methow valley, and no proposition worthy of consideration failed to have her support. In her death the valley has suffered a great loss.
Mrs. H. F. Warner, of Helena, Wm. Burgar, M. Medaris, an adopted son, and Raymond Calmettes, are the only children surviving the deceased and the sympathy of the people goes out to them in their hour of great distress.
Indeed, it is proven that death is not a respecter of persons.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - October 13, 1905

John J. Burgard  Added 10/15/06
A Sudden Death
John Jacob Burgard of Palmer Mountain died suddenly last Tuesday of heart disease. Mr. Palmer, in company with Ray Guston, had started to the timber for a load of wood when he dropped dead. As the two men were alone at the time the prosecuting attorney's office was notified and Coroner Grove sent to investigate the case.
No inquest was held as there were no indications whatever of death having resulted from other than natural causes.
Mr. Burgard was 75 years old and a native of Germany. Nothing is known of his relatives. The remains were brought to Oroville where the funeral will take place Saturday.
The Molson Leader - Molson, Washington - December 14, 1917

Ira A. Burgett  Added 07/12/09
Death in Runaway
Ira A. Burgett, age 74, a pioneer of the Methow Valley, a veteran of the civil war, and a prominent member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, was thrown from his wagon Wednesday noon at Methow, in a runaway of his team and freighting outfit, and almost instantly killed.
Mr. Burgett had been to the river for freight, and as he was returning near the town of Methow, it is supposed his team became frightened and unmanageable, with the result that he was thrown from the wagon the wheels of which passed over his body, crushing his head. Residents of the community hastened to the scene of the accident, where they found the unfortunate man in an unconscious condition. Dr. Burnett, of Pateros was summoned by telephone, but before he had arrived, life was extinct.
Deceased was one of the early settlers in the Methow Valley, coming here with his large family several years ago, living on a ranch near Winthrop to the time of his death. He is survived by his widow, and ten children, being Mrs. Clara Graves, Mrs. Milo Walters, Thomas, Grant, Henry and Will Burgett, of Winthrop; Mrs. Lucy Moreland, California; Mrs. Huntin Pressy, of British Columbia; Mrs. David Elgin, and David Burgett, of Yakima; four other children of the union having preceded him in death.
Mr. Burgett would have been 74 years of age December 13, 1911. He and Mrs. Burgett celebrated their golden wedding at Winthrop about two years ago. He served his country in the Civil War, loyally and faithfully, was a highly respected and honored citizen of the valley. His death will bring sorrow to the entire valley and the sympathy of its people will be extended to the bereaved family.
The funeral will be conducted this afternoon at two o'clock from Winthrop, under the auspices of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which lodge the deceased was Past Noble Grand, and held other high honors. Interment will be made in the Winthrop cemetery. A large delegation of Brother Odd Fellows from this place will join the Winthrop lodge in the funeral service of the departed brother.
The body of the unfortunate man was borne to Winthrop yesterday by Brothers J. H. Taylor, of Sumner (Wash) Lodge, I.O.O.F., and D. G. Estell, of Mt. Gardner Lodge of Winthrop, who started from here on their sad mission Wednesday afternoon.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - October 13, 1911

Sherman Burgett  Added 08/17/07
Pneumonia Claims Victim
At 8 o'clock Tuesday morning Sherman Burgett, who has been suffering for some time with pneumonia, died in the the tent on Twisp avenue where he was being treated. Two brothers and a sister of Mr. Burgett were at his bedside when he passed away. Mr. Burgett was 44 years of age and was well known in the upper valley, having resided there most of the time for the last ten years. He leaves a father and mother, two sisters and two brothers, Mr. and Mrs. Ira Burgett, Mrs. Charles Graves, Mrs. Milo Walter, Tom and Grant Burgett.
Funeral services were conducted by Mt. Gardiner Lodge, I. O. O. F. of Winthrop of which Mr. Burgett has been a member for the past three years, at 1 o'clock Wednesday afternoon.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - January 13, 1911

Mary Burke  Added 4/30/06
Mrs. Mary Burke, wife of Henry Burke, died at her home in Twisp on Monday morning, March 10, 1913, after a long Illness. Mrs. Burke was born in New York City September 8, 1835. Besides a husband, she leaves four sons, Grant, Rickard, David and Harry, and two daughters, Letitia and Mrs. E. R. Davis, who are deeply grieved.
The funeral was held at the family home Tuesday, March 11, at 2 p.m. The Catholic prayer was read by Miss Alice Horrigan. Music was rendered by Mrs. J. M. Scott, Mrs. H. E. Marble, George W. Sprouse and W. L. Singer. Interment was made in Beaver Creek cemetery where a large concourse of friends from all over the Valley followed the departed one to her last resting place, and sympathized with the bereaved family.
The Death Angel came to this home and went away not unaccompanied. However warned of its approach, the death of the loved one never finds us quite prepared, and it has left a sadness in another household, and upon many hearts, for it has taken from our midst one of the good of the earth. Step by step her feet descended deeper and deeper into the vale of shadows, but the light broke upon her changed light, when emerging from the gloom of that valley. She now stands in glorious brightness of the immortal land. God has taken from fond hearts the wife and mother that was so precious to them. We can only bow the spirit, drop the tear, and learn submission. This submission comes within the reach of our possibilities, and through this sorrow we may look up to the light beyond, and school the heart to say, "Thy will, not mine, be done."--Twisp News.
The Methow Valley Journal - Winthrop, Washington - March 20, 1913

Thomas Burke  Added 07/10/10
"Uncle" Tom Burke Dead.
The recent death of "Uncle" Tom Burke, an old timer of the Conconully district, is announced as follows in last week's issue of the Oroville Gazette:
"Some days ago we received a letter from R. Geiger, formerly a resident of Oroville, but for several years living at San Francisco, containing the announcement of the death of Thomas Burke, for years, in early days, a resident of Conconully. This letter was accidentally misplaced and came to light only Monday of this week. Mr. Grieger wrote that Mr. Burke died at the old man's home near Berkley on September 17. His age was given as 96. There was no preceeding sickness, he simply went to sleep and forgot to wake up, as Mr. Grieger put it. All the old timers will remember Tom Burke, the big, jolly Irishman, who lived much the life of a recluse at Conconully when that mountain town was the county seat. When he first located at Conconully we know not, but he was there some 23 years ago. Mr. Burke had an angel in the person of an old friend of means in California. This old friend furnished Mr. Burke with funds with which to purchase county warrants in the days when county warrants were hardly worth in the market the paper upon which they were printed. However, as time has gone to show, these warrants were a safe investment, and those who could buy at that time and hold on have made a very handsome interest on the money. Everybody who knew him had the kindliest feeling for old man Burke. Reading of his death will arouse memories of others days and a feeling of regret that the old man has at last crossed the divide."
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - October 19, 1920

Evelyn Burns   Added 07/10/10
Mrs. E. P. Burns of Tonasket, Wash., formerly Miss Evelyn Daisy Eastman, died at Spokane, Wash., Friday, February 27, 1920. The cause of death was cancer which had given her considerable suffering for the past year.
The funeral services were held in Spokane, Monday, March 1st, at 11 a.m. and interment was made in a beautiful spot at Faimont cemetery where amidst a confusion of flowers she was lain to rest.
Mrs. Burns was born in Fort Fairfield, Maine, January 31, 1874, and was the daughter and third child of Mrs. and Mrs. G. W. Eastman, now of Marcus. In 1905, after spending several years at teaching and office work at her old home, she came to Okanogan county, Washington, where she homesteaded on Tunk Creek, on land alongside of brothers who preceded her.
On January 12, 1910, she was united in marriage to E. P. Burns of that neighborhood. About a year later they purchased a farm near Tonasket where they lived and developed it to a fine productive place.
The deceased is survived by her husband, E. P. Burns, and a foster son, Gilbert Turner. She is also survived by her parents, one sister and seven brothers, namely, Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Eastman, Mrs. Jeanette Loveleigh, Albion and Thomas Eastman, Marcus, Guy and Percy Eastman, Loomis; Cosmo Eastman of Spokane, Carroll Eastman, Montana, and Roy Eastman of Maine, all of whom except the latter, were at her bedside and funeral. Six brothers acted as pall bearers.
Evelyn Daisy Burns was a woman of strong exemplar character and sweet disposition. If there ever were those who did not have an enemy in the world, she was one. She was wholly unselfish and one pleasure of her life was her service to others. She possessed a broad education and always carried a keen insight to all current questions of social and civic life. Many a child, many a man or woman has been made better by her example. Her many kind deeds, she never asked the pubic to know. To do good, to live the honest, simple life of service, to be faithful wife, daughter, sister and neighbor, were features that crowned the life of this noble woman. Heartfelt sympathy goes out to every bereaved one.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - March 9, 1920

Edward J. Butler  Added 9/30/06
Sudden Death.
Those acquainted with the gentleman were greviously shocked Thursday morning upon learning that Edward J. Butler had passed away during the night at the home of his broth, R. Butler. The deceased was a sufferer from tuberculosis, and came to Oroville early in the year in hopes that a change of climate might result favorably. He has not been confined to his bed at any time, yet he could not exert himself, and it was evident that he was gradually fading away. He was always cheerful, genial, with a smile and a cheery word for all who he met. The evening before his death he expressed himself as felling better and was most pleasantly jovial. A more appealingly likeable gentleman we have never met in this upper country.
He retired about 9 o'clock Wednesday evening, and made no complaint of feeling badly, although the had slept hardly any during the two previous nights. Before retiring Mrs. Butler went to the room of her brother-in-law to arrange his pillows, and he seemed to be resting quietly. In the morning he was found dead in bed. He had evidently passed away in sleep without a struggle.
Edward J. Butler was born at Rock Rapids, Iowa, February 21, 1882 and hence had reached the age of 35 years, 3 months and 15 days. The deceased has spent a number of years in the west, a portion of the time in Alaska. When in health he must have been a fine specimen of manhood, for even the insidious disease from which he suffered had failed to any appreciable extent in reducing his sturdy physique. The remains were shipped in Minneapolis for burial.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - June 8, 1917

O. R. Butts  Added 07/12/09
Death came to the relief of the pitiful sufferings of O. R. Butts yesterday morning at seven o'clock , the unfortunate man being a victim of tuberculosis. His people were notified by friends of both his sickness and death. It was late last evening when instructions for his burial arrived from the Colville Lodge of Odd Fellows, where he had been an honored member. The local lodge of Odd Fellows will have charge of the funeral, and members will meet at their hall tomorrow (Saturday) noon to perform the last sad rites. Funeral will be held at one o'clock, burial to be in the Beaver Creek cemetery.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - February 11, 1910


©2006-2010. Judi's Genealogy. All rights reserved.