Obituaries D
Search billions of records on

Okanogan County, Washington

Surnames D

D'AMICO, Chris
DANIELL, Walter J.
DAVIS, Mrs. Alonzo
DAVIS, Edward
DAVIS, Lucinda
DEMERCHANT, Alexander S.
DESHAZER, Charles A.
DESMOND, Humphrey J.
DIAL, Margie
DIBBLE, Charles W.
DICK, Charlie
DICK, George
DOW, Maria M.
DOYLE, Mrs. N. J.
DRISCOLL, Frances B.

K. C. Dailey  
Sudden Death of K. C. Dailey Sunday Night
K. C. Dailey, a traveling salesman for the Black Manufacturing Company of Seattle, died Sunday night at the Hotel Bureau after suffering a few hours from acute appendicitis. Dailey arrived here on the train Saturday night intending to remain over until Monday to transact business with the local merchants and Sunday night was taken ill. Medical attention was summoned and preparations were being made to perform an operation Monday morning, but at midnight he expired.
A brother, C. H. Dailey of Wenatchee, arrived last night to take charge of the body, which was prepared for shipment by the local undertaker, Ed. Yarwood. The body was shipped this morning to Bonny-Watson Company of Seattle, where interment will be made.
Deceased was a member of the Odd Fellows lodge and the local members of that organization assisted in caring for the remains and escorted the body to the train this morning.
Deceased was 42 years of age and leaves a wife and four children. His father also survives, living in Seattle, where he also has a brother and sister. A sister also lives in California. He had been traveling over this territory for a year or more and is well spoken of by the parties with whom he came in contact.
K. C. Dailey, brother of deceased who came after the body, desired to express through these columns his sincere appreciation of the splendid assistance given him by the local parties, especially the Odd Fellows and Mr. Kildea of the Hotel.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - November 25, 1919

Chris D'Amico  
Funeral Services for Chris D'Amico were held Tuesday morning at 11 a.m. from the Tonasket Community Church.
D'Amico passed away on Friday, January 14, 1972 at Mid-Valley Hospital in Omak following a short illness.
Chris D'Amico was born on August 31, 1908 at Cumberland, Wisconsin and moved at the age of 14 to Chicago, Ill, and in 1933 he moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota where he lived until moving west to Yakima, Wash. in 1942.
He moved to Tonasket in 1960 where he built, owned and operated D'Amico's an ultra modern restaurant
Chris was a charter member of the Moses Lake Eagles Lodge.
Barnes Funeral Service of Oroville was in charge of arrangements and burial followed in the Riverside Cemetery with Rev. Escil Hiser officiating.
Surviving are one daughter and three brothers; a sister; and four granddaughters.
Abstracted from the original - The Tonasket Tribune - Tonasket, Washington - January 20, 1972
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

David Danforth  
Death of David Danforth.
David Danforth, aged 62 years, died as a result of abscess of the bowels and hemorrhage, at the home of his son, Arthur, on Wild Rose farm, three miles northeast of Twisp Tuesday morning at 7 o'clock. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon from the home, J. L. Fulton conducting the services. The burial was made by the old lone pine, a favorite place of Mr. Danforth's previous to his death.
The late David Danforth was born in Genessee county, New York in 1842. While yet a young man he moved with his parents to Wisconsin. Before he reached his majority the war of the rebellion broke out and obtaining consent of his parents, enlisted in the 21 Wisconsin cavalry, with which regiment he remained until the close of the war; seeing much hard service, results from which followed to his grave. At the close of the war he returned to Wisconsin, shortly moving to Michigan where he wedded Miss Mammory Perry. To the union was born five children, three of whom, Arthur, Erwin and Walter, survive their parents, the two younger ones dying in childhood and shortly after their birth the mother also departed this life. Arthur, the oldest boy, was at the father's bedside during his last sickness, the other two boys living on the Sound with their uncle, Mr. Perry. Mr. Danforth came to Washington about 3 years ago, and after living on the Sound a short time, came to the Methow valley with his son, where he resided until the time of his death. Of near relative the deceased is also survived by two sisters who live here, Mrs. Phoebe Zenor and Mrs. Millie Miller. Deceased was a charter member of Delta Chapter Masons, of Escanaba, Mich., in which order he attained a high degree. The late Mr. Danforth was a man unanimously esteemed by all who enjoyed the pleasure of his acquaintance, to know him was to love him. His single purpose in his declining years has been for the welfare of his young sons and he hoped to live to see them happily situated in contentment. Patriotic and loyal in the time of his country's need, a loving husband and tender father, holding the admiration and respect of his neighbors and acquaintance, Mr. Danforth leaves a large circle of sincere friends who mourn his loss and extend sympathy to the family.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - January 9, 1904

Walter J. Daniell  
Walter J. Daniell Dead.
W. E. Daniell received a telegram Monday evening announcing the death of his father, Walter J. Daniell, at Kapousin, Pierce county, this state. The news came as a great surprise and shock as the elder Daniell was in the best of health a few days previous. Particulars as to his death were not received. Mr. Daniell Jr. was just leaving the Commercial Club room after the meeting when he was handed the telegram by Clarence Gillespie who had brought it up from Brewster, the line between that place and Okanogan being out of order. Mr. Daniell left at once for Brewster on horseback, intending to catch Tuesday morning's boat and be present at his father's funeral.
Walter J. Daniell was well known in this vicinity, having lived a short distance west of Okanogan for two years. He located on a homestead some time ago and last October commuted and secured his patent, after which he left for Puget Sound where he remained until his death, living at the home of his son, George W. Daniell. Deceased was 71 years of age. He was a Nova Scotian by birth but had lived in the United States for the past 25 years. He was a mining man by profession and for years was superintendent of a hold producing property in Halifax. He leaves two sons and a daughter--W. E. Daniell, of this place, George W. Daniell, of Kapousin, and Mrs. McPhee, of Nova Scotia.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - May 30, 1908

Daniel Davidson  
Dan. Davidson Dead.
Dan. Davidson, one of the early settlers of the Happy Hill section and a store keeper in this city a decade ago, died last week at Walla Walla, according to the following dispatch from Starbuck published in Saturday's Spokesman-Review:
"Starbuck, Wash., Feb 23.--Daniel Davidson of Starbuck died yesterday in Walla Walla, the result of an operation for gall stones. Before coming to Starbuck Mr. Davidson lived at Dayton and some years ago operated a store in the Okanogan country. He is survived by his widow and seven children, ranging in age from 4 to 19 years. The funeral was held today at Walla Walla. He was born at Walla Walla 42 years ago."
Davidson was well known among the old timers of this section. After proving up on one of the best grain ranches on Happy Hill he moved to this town, then known as Alma, and entered the mercantile business with Ed. Ostenberg, now also deceased. Their store was located at the corner of First avenue and Pine street and is a part of what is the big Blackwell warehouse now. He built one of the first residences in the town, that is now owned and occupied by Ira Freer. About eight years ago he sold his business interests and property here and moved to Idaho.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - February 27, 1917

Mrs. Alonzo Davis  
Death Of Mrs. Alonzo Davis Occurred Wednesday
Mrs. Alonzo Davis, a pioneer woman of this locality, died Wednesday morning of pneumonia, following an attack of influenza. Mr. and Mrs. Davis had been living on the reservation near Duley Lake and both were taken ill and it was some days before medical aid could reach them. They were brought to town Tuesday and Mrs. Davis' condition was so serious that little hope was held out for her recovery. She passed away Wednesday morning.
Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at the Yarwood undertaking parlors in this city. Interment will be made in the local cemetery.
Mrs. Davis was one of the pioneer women of the Okanogan valley and lived for many years on a ranch two miles south of town. Besides her husband, Lon Davis, she is survived by a son, A. G. O'Flaherty, of this city. Another son, Melvin O'Flaherty, died of pneumonia several years ago.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - February 7, 1920

Edward Davis  
Death Of A Worthy Citizen
Brief mention was made in the last issue of the Gazette of the sudden death of Edward Davis, and old and esteemed resident of Oroville, who passed away Thursday morning of last week very suddenly. Mr. Davis had been ailing for several days, but declined to call in medical attendance until the day before his death. At that time Dr. Lewis discovered that Mr. Davis was suffering from leakage of the heart, an aggravated condition of that organ that had been affected for a year or more. While realizing that his condition was serious, immediate fatal results was not considered probable. Dr. Lewis visited the patient about noon Thursday, and it was hardly a quarter of an hour after the visit that Mr. Davis died without a struggle.
As the paper stated in mentioning the death of Mr. Davis last week the news was a shock to the community, for few were aware that the gentleman was ill, and those who did know it supposed it was only a temporary ailment. On every hand could be heard expressions of sincere regret, for the deceased was without an enemy in the community, and no man has ever passed away in Oroville leaving behind so many warm personal friends. The funeral took place from the family residence Sunday afternoon under direction of the Odd Fellows, and a large number of people turned out to show their last respects to the departed.
Edward Davis was born in Terre Haute, Ind., October 21, 1849, and hence was aged 69 years 2 months and six days. He was educated at Ascension college, Ascension, Ind. He was married in Terre Haute June 5, 1873, to Martha Landers, who survives him. To this union two children were born, a son and a daughter. The son died in infancy. The daughter is Mrs. E. S. Taylor. The deceased moved to Spokane in the spring of 1887, where he was engaged in the grocery business. He put up one of the first brick business houses after the great fire if 1888. He moved to Oroville in the fall of 1907, where he opened a hardware store conducting the same up to the time of his death. He leaves a widow, daughter and son-in-law and two grandchildren, besides a multitude of close friends to mourn his death.
In our long life we have known few men of more genuine worth than Ed. Davis, and in his death we feel a personal loss. He was a gentleman of sterling qualities, and in his personal relations with his fellow men he was honorable, straight-forward and upright. Always genial and optimistic he faced the problems of life with a perpetual smile. His sunny nature was a source of pleasure to those who came in contact with him. He had a kind word for every one and as a result every one had a kind word to say when mentioning Ed. Davis. His intense Americanism and loyalty to counutry was an admirable example to all men, and it was only his years that kept him out of the late war. As a citizen, as a neighbor, as a friend Ed. Davis measured up to the ideal man, and in his death Oroville has suffered a most grevious loss.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - February 7, 1919

Lucinda Davis  
Death Claims Mrs. W. L. Davis, Early Pioneer
Resident Of Okanogan Valley For Thirty Years.
Remains Laid to Rest at Malott Beside Husband, Who Preceded Her in 1915
Okanogan county lost one of its oldest residents in the death of Mrs. W. L. Davis at Malott Tuesday afternoon. The news was received with grief by a multitude of acquaintances who had known the venerable lady for many years. During the days of stage travel few people came into the Okanogan valley without finding the Davis ranch below Malott a comfortable stopping place, if only to water a thirsty team and be refreshed from a cold spring on the ranch, and of the countless travelers hundreds became well acquainted with Mrs. Davis and will now revere her memory.
Funeral services were held at Malott Thursday morning a 1 1o'clock from the home where Mrs. Davis has resided during the past year, interment being in a concrete vault in the Malott cemetery, adjoining the remains of her husband, whose death occurred September 5, 1915. Rev. David Brown of Omak spoke the last sad rites, paying tribute to the deceased and referring to her well spent life. A community choir sang at the home and also sang "Nearer My God to Thee" at the grave. The funeral arrangements were in charge of the Okanogan Undertaking Company.
George A Davis, W. Leonard Davis, Miss Pauline and Miss Alice Davis of Malott, Fred Flanders of Washington, D. C., and Ed. Flanders of Riverside, sons and daughters, and Will Ford a brother, now in Alaska, are the immediate family left by the deceased. Frank Ford, a nephew, was also virtually raised by Mrs. Davis.
Lucinda Ford was born near New London, Iowa, August 8, 1849. Her father crossed the plains to California in the rush of that year, and the family followed soon afterward, while the deceased was still an infant. From that time until 1888, the deceased lived in and about Sacramento. She was married November 3, 1881, to W. L. Davis.
In 1888 the family settled on one of the best known of the pioneer ranches of the county, about four miles below the present site of Malott, where an orchard was set out and for many years its fruit was distributed as far as the Republic and Canadian mining districts by team. The ranch was a stage station also for some years.
At this ranch a large family was reared, and when they had reached college age, the family moved to Pullman, where the Davis children completed a course at Washington State College. In 1914 the family took up their residence at Oroville, and about a year ago, following the death of her husband, Mrs. Davis had been an invalid for many months, and had faced death as a blessing. Constant sacrifices bestowed in her declining days by a devoted family were but a mite of the tender and faithful love of those who remain to mourn a mother's lifetime gifts and cares.
The pall bearers were old neighbors: John Marz, Jacob Deffland, Martin and Albert Wick, Austin Warnick and J. O. Burdett.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - May 11, 1918

W. A. Davis  
Rev. Davis Passes Away.
On Sunday morning at 11 o'clock in the Winthrop cemetery occurred the interment of the late Rev. W. A. Davis, ex-Baptist minister, and long time resident of the Winthrop district. The deceased was born in Lebanon, Tenn., in the year 1960, and passed away at his home near Winthrop on July 2, 1914. He is survived by his wife, one daughter, his mother, three sisters, three brothers, and three grandchildren.
The funeral service was conducted at the cemetery and was in charge of Prof. Dow, assisted by the Rev. I. B. Ricketts, the newly appointed pastor of the Twisp circuit, who happened to be on the grounds. At the previous request of the deceased the burial exercises were very simple.
Excellent music was rendered by a mixed quartet from Twisp, consisting of Mrs. F. E. Selner, Mrs. H. E. Marble, L. A. Staples and H. E. Marble.
The heartfelt sympathy of friends of Mr. Davis go out to the relatives and members of his family.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - July 10, 1914

W. L. Davis  
Death Claims W. L. Davis, Aged Pioneer
Died Sunday At Oroville, Buried Today At Malott.
Came to County 1888 and Was Prominent in Development of Valley.
W. L. Davis, county pioneer and former chairman of the board of county commissioners, passed away Sunday in Oroville. Funeral services and interment occurred this morning at Malott.
Mr. Davis has suffered for almost two years from anemic poisoning and complications and several times during that period his condition has been critical, but the patient always rallied. Late last week, however, the relatives were advised that Mr. Davis was sinking rapidly and the end was inevitable. He was unconscious for several hours before his death.
At his bedside when death overtook Mr. Davis were his wife, his daughters Pauline and Alice and son W. Leonard, Jr. Others of his own family left to mourn his loss are George A. Davis of Malott, and two stepsons, Ed Flanders of Conconully and Fred Flanders of Boston. The latter returned east two weeks ago after visiting relatives in this county.
Mr. Davis came to Okanogan county in 1888 from California, settling on a homestead four miles below Malott. His place is one of the most familiar in the county, known to practically every person who has ever traveled up the Okanogan valley. An orchard comprising several acres was one of the earliest planted in the county, and for years its fruit was distributed not only in all communities of this section, but into British Columbia, Republic and other points, being transported in freight wagons under circumstances that made the effort an almost Herculean task. But as the mining camps were flourishing in those sections the fruit was marketed profitably, and Mr. Davis prospered in this and other pursuits.
At the general election of 1906 Mr. Davis, who was a lifelong republican in politics, aspired to the office of county commissioner. He was elected and later served as chairman of the board. During the 1909 orchard boom he disposed of his ranch at a price that proved too highly speculative for the purchasers, who were unable to make further payments and Mr. Davis was forced to take back his property. At the time of selling the ranch, however, the family removed to Pullman, Wash., in order that the sons and daughters, who had then reached college age, might complete their education. Last fall Mr. Davis and family returned to Okanogan county, making their home at Oroville, where Leonard Davis was a member of the high school faculty.
Deceased would have reached the age of sixty years in March, 1916. He was born in Ohio, but at an early age removed to Kansas, where he remained until his twentieth year, departing then for California, where he resided until the family was brought to this county. During all his residence in this county, it was characteristic of the deceased that he made and retained friends. He had opponents, who had different convictions, but no enemies. As a county commissioner he gave excellent service, showing always a disposition to be honest and fair. He was always a most estimable gentleman to meet. Mr. Davis possessed the elements of a real biography, exclusive characteristics that made him a man among men. These characteristics are necessarily touched on all too briefly here. He will be reverently remembered for years to come.
Pursuant to a special request of his declining days, Mr. Davis was buried at Malott. The casket was placed in a concrete vault in the graveyard on the bench overlooking the town. The burial was in charge of Undertaker L. W. Barnes of Oroville, while services were held by Rev. David Brown of Omak, son-in-law of Dr. J. I. Pogue, with whose family the Davis' had been intimate for many years.
Pallbearers were Martin Wick, L. C. Malott, J. R. Pratt, Austin Warnick, Tom Jones and T. J. Murray.
Although no county papers were issued previous to the funeral, friends gathered from all parts of the county to pay their last respects.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - September 7, 1915

Alexander S. DeMerchant  
Death Of A. S. DeMerchant
It is our sad duty this week to chronicle the death of one of our most respected pioneer neighboring ranchers, a most honorable citizen and a highly esteemed personal friend in the person of Alexander S. DeMerchant, who passed away after a protracted illness Monday night at his home on Ellemeham mountain. The news of the death of Mr. DeMerchant was a violent shock to his friends, and that includes every resident in the north part of the county who has had the pleasure of his acquaintance. It was known that the deceased had suffered a very critical illness, but the general impression prevailed that he was very much improved, with every chance of his ultimate recovery. Indeed we are informed that up to within a few hours of his death Mr. DeMerchant seemed to be improving, and he expressed himself as feeling much stronger on the afternoon of the day of his demise. Very suddenly he commenced sinking and within a few hours after the change he breathed his last, conscious up to the end. His devoted wife and a neighbor or two were at his bedside when the end came.
Mr. DeMerchant had been ailing throughout the winter and some weeks ago during the prevailance of the influenza he was taken down with that ailment. The disease developed into pneumonia and the patient was brought down to the local hospital, where he was treated, and he so improved that he was permitted to return to his home ten days or two weeks ago. He was so run down that he could not rally from the siege of pneumonia, and while the direct cause of death is pronounced to have been gastric ulceration of the stomach, the influenza was really responsible for his early demise, even though his stomach trouble might have proved fatal eventually.
The funeral took place from the Catholic church Thursday morning at 10 o'clock and a large congregation of citizens assembled to pay their last respects to the dead. Interment was in Odd Fellows cemetery.
Alexander S. DeMerchant was born in Carlton county, New Brunswick, June 15, 1858, and hence was aged 60 years, 10 months and 4 days. At an early age his parents moved to northern Maine, where he was raised and where he spent many years of his life. Some 19 years ago he came to Okanogan county and located on Ellemeham mountain, where he has since resided. He was married to Miss Nellie Crane, of New Brunswick, and one child was born to this union, Leo, who is at Chicago, just on the eve of graduating from a medical college. He also leaves a brother, W. J. DeMerchant of this place, a sister, Mrs. Oliver Tufty, of Tonasket, and two sisters residing in Maine.
There are few citizens of northern Okanogan county who have been more esteemed by not only immediate neighbors, but all with whom they came in contact than S. A. DeMerchant. The deceased was a gentleman of sterling worth, honorable, upright and absolutely honest in all his dealings. He was a man of more than ordinary intelligence, and always genial and pleasant in his intercourse with his fellowmen. Sympathetic of heart he was a most kindly neighbor, a devoted husband and father, a most valuable citizen whose place it will be hard to fill. Our ocquaintance with the deceased extended over the entire period of his residence in this locality, and we hold him in the very highest regard for his irreproachable character. Our sympathy the sympathy of the entire community, goes out to the bereaved wife, son and relatives in this hour of their great affliction and irreparable loss.
The Oroville Gazette - Oroville, Washington - April 23, 1920

Charles A. DeShazer
Funeral Services Of Chas. A. De Shazer Held
Following an illness covering a period of years, Charles A. De Shazer passed away last Friday morning at the home of his mother-in-law, Mrs. Rebecca Lucas, at the age of thirty-four years. Mr. De Shazer was a pioneer of Omak and built the first house in the town and barring a few months spent on the outside in the vain hope of benefitting his health, he has resided here since that time, where, his kindliness of spirit and splendid courage during his illness, he has endeared himself to a large circle of friends. The funeral services were held Sunday morning at the home and were conducted by Reverend Chaffee of the Presbyterian church of this place. Interment was made at Riverside and the remains were attended to their last resting place by a number of friends. A wife and daughter survive Mr. De Shazer as well as a number of close relatives in Oklahoma and Washington. Mr. Barnes took charge of the funeral and ably officiated in that respect.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - January 27, 1911

Humphrey J. Desmond  
Death Of H. J. Desmond
H. J. Desmond, an old and highly respected resident of Oroville, passed away at the family home Saturday after a lingering illness of many months. His death was not unexpected, as his ailment was of such a nature that recovery was impossible, and he had been sinking steadily for several weeks but when the end finally came it brought sorrow to the hearts of all those who have had business or social relations with the kindly and sterling gentleman during his long residence in the community.
Mr. Desmond had been in failing health for several years, but continued in active business up to May of last year. He sold out solely for the purpose of trying to recup his health by rest and at least temporary change of climate and surroundings. He went to Montana, where he became interested with his brother, Thomas Desmond, of Spokane, in wheat growing on an extensive scale. Instead of experiencing relief by the change his difficulty, leakage of the heart, became more aggravated, and he failed rapidly. He was taken to Seattle, to try the affect of lower altitude but obtained no relief, and after some weeks on the coast he realized the approaching end. Mr. Desmond insisted upon returning home where he could die among his old friends. He returned to Oroville week before last, and sank steadily until the end which came Saturday.
The funeral took place from the Catholic church Wednesday afternoon, Father Jos. Senergeld officiating. Business was suspended during the funeral and a very large crowd turned out to show their last respects to the departed. The services were very impressive, and the officiating priest paid a high tribute to the virtues of the departed. The casket was buried in a wealth of floral offerings from the hands of sorrowing friends. A long procession of cars followed the remains to their last resting place in Odd Fellows cemetery. The arrangements for the final rites at the grave, prepared under the direction of Undertaker L. W. Barnes, were the most beautiful that have ever been seen at the local cemetery.
Humphrey J. Desmond was born in New Brunswick in March, 1856, and hence was aged 62 years. He came west in 1870, and for a time resided at Sprague, in Lincoln county. In 1905 he came to Oroville, where he resided up to the time of his death. Here he engaged in the hardware business, selling out in May, 1917. Thirty-two years ago he was married at Missoula, Montana, to Miss Caroline Resser. He is survived by his widow, three daughters, Mrs. Agnes Wills, Miss Bernice and Miss Sylvia. He also leaves a full brother, Thomas Desmond, of Spokane, and a full sister, Mrs. Jas. Lawler, of Aspen, Colorado. Also a half brother and sister living in Canada.
In the death of H. J. Desmond Oroville has lost one of its most loyal and valuable citizens, a man who could not well be spared and whose good works will be remembered for years to come. He always took a deep interest and active part in public affairs, and could be depended upon to support, aid and encourage any movement that had for its object the upbuilding of the town or the betterment of our people. A live and energetic member of the body politic he was dependable at all times when his services were required in furthering any civic enterprise. Personally he was kindly of heart, genial of disposition, charitable to a large degree and bubbled over with the good-fellowship. He was admired and respected by those with whom he associated for so many years for his sterling character, and leaves behind a record for good works that will live in the memory of his associates for years to come. He was a devoted husband, a loving father, a true, kind and sympathetic neighbor. His death leaves a vacancy in the community that cannot well be filled, and his memory will linger long with those who know him best.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - September 13, 1918

Burr N. Dexter  
Death Of Burr Dexter
Burr N. son of Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Dexter, living near Loomis, died at an early hour Wednesday morning, after an illness of only a few days, the cause of death being motor paralysis. Young Dexter attended the dance in this place on Tuesday night of last week. Riding from Loomis to Nighthawk he was caught in a shower. Waiting for the train at Nighthawk in damp clothes he had a slight chill. That did not deter him from coming to Oroville. He was complaining of feeling badly upon his return home, but his condition did not become serious until a day or two before death. Dr. Schwabland did not see the patient until Tuesday. At that time his entire body was paralyzed and death only a question of a few hours.
Burr Dexter was born in Warren county, Penn, June 24, 1886 and hence had passed his 24th birthday. He came to Okanogan county with his parents in 1890, and grew up to manhood near Loomis. He was a member of the Woodmen of the World, the Circle and the Eagles. He was always a robust child and young man, and his sudden demise was a terrible blow to the family and a shock to the community. The funeral took place at the Loomis cemetery Thursday afternoon.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - August 19, 1910
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

Margie Dial  
Margie Dial, 85, of Omak, died Monday, Sept. 11, 2006, at Ray Hickey Hospice House in Vancouver.
She was a longtime hairdresser and also worked at the Pine Bluff Arsenal assembling bombs during WWII. She lived in Okanogan County before moving to Anchorage, Alaska, in 1962. In 1974, she returned to Omak.
Survivors include a son and a daughter.
Funeral services will be 3 p.m. Friday at Precht-Harrison-Nearents Chapel in Okanogan.
Abstracted from the original - The Wenatchee World - Wenatchee, Washington - September 14, 2006
Submitted by Ilene Jeffers

Charles W. Dibble  
Charles W. Dibble
Charles W. Dibble was born in Windsor, Broome County, New York, August 17, 1854, and departed this life at Pateros, May 19, 1917.
Charles was one of three children, Jesse D., Charles W. and Laura S. He was educated at the Windsor Academy and the State Normal School at Courtland. He was a great reader and often quoted Horace Greeley whose advice: "Go west, young man," he took literally and departed while a young man for Texas, where he resided for a short time. He joined an emigrant train with the Filers and made the long overland trip to Oregon, later coming to the Methow Valley, where he brought his bride, nee Fannie Belle Filer, and settled on a fine homestead one mile south of Winthrop, where he resided for many years until he retired from active life and moved to Heckendorn. He leaves to mourn him a sister, Miss Laura Dibble, and seven children: Laura, Ellis, Mrs. Clara Boesel, Walter, Clyde and Claude, George.
For some time past he had been troubled with his heart, and last Saturday at Pateros, where he had accompanied his sister on her return home, was taken suddenly with a pain in his heart and before assistance could be obtained he passed away. Undertaker E. M. Thomas was summoned who prepared the body for removal to Winthrop.
Mr. Dibble was a member of the Odd Fellow Lodge and of the Winthrop Concert Band. The funeral services were conducted by the Odd Fellow Lodge at the M. E. Church in Heckendorn Tuesday, assisted by Rev. M. R. Brown, and a choir composed of Misses Mercedes and Mozelle Milliman, Mrs. N. Irving, Messrs Andy Hall and Ferd Haase. The funeral cortege was headed by the band which played a dirge, followed by the funeral car escorted by members of Winthrop and Twisp Lodges, and and a long line of autoes and teams. On arriving at the beautiful Sullivan Cemetery the body was consigned to its last resting place. A prayer by Rev. Brown, the burial service by the Lodge, sacred music by the Band and Choir, and the sorrowing relatives and friends bade a last farewell to their friend and neighbor.
To the good neighbors and friends who by their sympathy and kindness helped to alleviate their sorrow; to those who sent the beautiful flowers; to the business men of Winthrop who closed their places of business in his honor; to the members of the Odd Fellow Lodges of Winthrop and Twisp; to the Winthrop Band and Choir for their comforting music, the Children and Sister wish to extend their heartfelt thanks.
The Methow Valley News - Winthrop, Washington - May 24, 1917

Charley Dick  
Charley Dick Drowned.
About 6 o'clock Tuesday evening, while fording the Methow river near Methow postoffice, Charley, son of George Dick, was thrown from a buggy into the river and drowned.
This young man and his sister were returning home from the Big Bend country. The crossing being considered unsafe, his sister crossed on the foot bridge, the young man driving the team across. When in the middle of the stream the conveyance capsized, the occupant jumping out. His first move was to release the horses to enable them to get out, and in doing that he was overcome and went down with the horses. His body was found down the river about two miles below where the accident occurred, a short time afterward.
The funeral was held yesterday forenoon at 10 o'clock from the home of the boy's parents, interment being made in the cemetery at Pateros.
The unfortunate victim of the accident was about sixteen years of age and spoken of as highly esteemed by those who knew him. The sorrowing family have the sympathy of the community in their great loss.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - July 29, 1904

George Dick  
Young Patriot Died.
Our community has had to pay toll to war in the death of George Dick, a promising young man who grew up in our midst; also two young men, Robert Anderson and Haslam Westerfield are lying in hospitals from gas and shell shock. These sacrifices, on the part of those we have sent, bring home the horrors of war with a force that all the outside news never can. All were brave boys and did gallant work in a great cause. May we be worthy of the sacrifice they have made for the safety of mankind. Pateros Reporter (Methow correspondence).
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - February 15, 1919

Maria M. Dow  
Death Claims Two Well Known Citizens
William E. Kirkpatrick, Orchardist, Is Called.
Mrs. Maria M. Dow Found Dead in Bed Sunday Morning, Result of Heart Failure.
Mrs. Maria M. Dow
Mrs. Maria M. Dow, wife of Vestro Dow, living several miles west of Okanogan, was found dead in her bed early Monday morning, having expired some time during the night from the effects of heart failure. Mrs. Dow had been in her usual health up to the time of her death, which came as a great shock to her relatives and friends.
Mrs. Dow was a sister of Mrs. L. M. Kahlow of this city and W. M. and H. B. Haney living near town, and is also survived by a sister, Mrs. John Higgins of Oakland, Cal., and two brothers, E. B. Haney of Henderson, Minn., and B. E. Haney of Medford, Ore., besides her husband and two sons, Fred Dow, of Tacoma, prosecuting attorney of Pierce county, and Lorenzo Dow, also of Tacoma. Deceased was born in St. James, New Brunswick, November 15th, 1844, and had lived in Tacoma 25 years previous to coming to Okanogan seven years ago.
Funeral arrangements have not yet been completed. A son of deceased, Fred Dow, is expected this afternoon from Tacoma, and after his arrival the date of the funeral will be set.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - April 6, 1915

Joe Downey  
Died At Seattle
Mr. and Mrs. J. Downey left Oroville last Friday morning for Seattle. The principal object of change of residence was the hopes that that change would prove beneficial to Mr. Downey, who has been a very sick man for the past year, with a slight improvement apparent for only a few weeks during that time. When he left here Mr. Downey was in a very weakened condition, and he was suffering from weak heart action. Evidently the trip in his condition was too great a tax upon his vitality for he died suddenly Saturday afternoon, only a few hours after reaching his destination. Interment took place at Seattle. Mr. and Mrs. Downey were well known here. They lived on a ranch a few miles west of Oroville for several years and Mrs. Downey spent considerable of her time in this place before the illness, which baffled the skill of all the various physicians consulted. Mr. Downey was a large robust man. His ailment, whatever it may have been first appeared in his lower limbs. He suffered greatly, and last winter he was not expected to survive. Eventually he gradually improved and hopes were held out that he might eventually recover his normal strength, but a few weeks ago he was taken with pluresy, the old difficulty came back, the heart ceased to perform its functions properly and he declined rapidly. When he left here, though exceedingly weak, he was in the best of spirits and his devoted wife had great hopes of the speedy recovery of her husband on the coast. A man of sterling character, kind, genial and likeable there are many friends of the family in this community that learned with sincere feelings of sorrow of the sudden death of Joe Downey, and extend heartfelt sympathy to the devoted wife in this hour of her great affliction.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - October 11, 1918

Mrs. N. J. Doyle  
Sudden Death
Mrs. N. J. Doyle, mother of N. A. Doyle, died very suddenly last Friday morning from a stroke of paralysis at the home of her son two and a half miles south of town. The deceased suffered from a stroke of paralysis a few months ago which left her in a measure helpless, but she had been feeling much better in every respect for a few days previous to her sudden death. Indeed, she was in Oroville with her son Thursday evening, and while here she divided up her money between her son and two daughters and made her will disposing of her property in North Dakota to the same beneficiaries. She stated that she was anxious to get her business affairs settled in case she might be called suddenly.
Mrs. Doyle was in her 66th year. She was born in Pennsylvania, and with her husband moved to North Dakota some 35 years ago, where Mr. Doyle died a number of years ago. Mrs. Doyle came to Oroville just before the 4th with the object of making her home with her son, and was accompanied on the trip by her daughter, Miss Eldora Doyle, who was to remain here but a short time. Only a few days after her arrival the sister of Mrs. Doyle, Opal Harmeson, was assassinated, and that excitement may have hastened the death of the elderly lady. The deceased leaves a son and two daughters, one married living in North Dakota. The funeral took place Monday and interment was in Odd Fellows cemetery.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - July 20, 1917

Frances B. Driscoll  
Pioneer Passes Away. Died--Frances Brown Driscoll, age 89 years, 9 months and 3 days, Friday December 22, 1922, at the home of C. J. Casad, in this city.
With the death of Mrs. Driscoll, another of the old pioneers of Okanogan county has passed to the great beyond. She has born in Ireland on March 19, 1833 and came to Okanogan county in the spring of 1886 as the wife of Daniel J. Driscoll, about one of the first pioneers to locate in the valley of the Okanogan. Mr. Driscoll died in 1905.
Mrs. Driscoll had no relatives in this country, but her warm hearted and loving friends were counted by the scores. She was well known by all old timers and in the early day was known far and wide for her loveable character and generous nature. For the past sixteen months the old lady has practically been helpless, although memory and faculties were as bright as ever almost up to the hour of her demise. During this period of the past sixteen months she has been taken care of at the home of Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Casad, Mrs. Casad giving the aged lady every attention. Friday last she complained of not feeling very well and the first thing the family knew the old pioneer had fallen asleep, never to awaken again on the earth. Special services were held for the departed at the Catholic church Sunday and interement was made in the Indian Mission church grounds at Ellisforde, where the family have their burial lots. The funeral arrangements were all made by Mr. and Mrs. Briley, old time friends of the deceased and every attention was given them, Undertaker Barnes presiding.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - December 29, 1922

Lloyd O. Duckett  
Another Okanogan County Boy Dies In The Service.
Jess Bolin of the Lime Belt has received word of the death of his nephew, Lloyd O. Duckett, who was a member of the Motor transportation corps in France. Lloyd died on December 18th of measles and bronchial pneumonia. He was well known in the county, having lived here about twelve years. He was a member of the Conconully high school and took an active part in athletics. He was 18 years of age and enlisted in the army last June. He was in training at Fort Sam Houston until about two months ago when he sailed for France with 304th Mechanics Repair Unit.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - January 7, 1919

Ellen Dunlap  
In Memoriam
Died, at the Oroville hospital, Wednesday, March 8, 1916, Mrs. Ellen King Dunlap, aged 61 years, 11 months and 4 days.
Funeral services were held in Chesaw Saturday at one o'clock, at the Methodist church, Rev. S. J. Osborne officiating, and buriaal took place at Woodworth cemetery under the direction of Victor Grove.
Deceased was born at Dalkeith, Scotland March 14, 1854, where she was married to Thomas Dunlap December 20, 1876. Of this union seven children were born, Michael, Joe, Johnny, Isabel and Nellie in Scotland, and Tommy in Ohio and Eddie in Tennessee after coming to America. She is survived by her husband, Thomas Dunlap, who resides on the home farm southwest of Chesaw, and all her children: Michael who lives at Roslyn, Wash., Mrs. Isabella McDonald of Grand Forks, B. C., Mrs. Nellie Hudlow, Joseph, John, Thomas and Edward Dunlap of Chesaw.
Mrs. Dunlap was a member of the Methodist church and a devout Christian woman. Her pathway of of life was marked with deeds of kindness and cheer. Flowers, not thorns, sunshine, not shadow, did she scatter everywhere. Truth was the inspiration of her life and by kindness she exemplified its great worth.
Among those who knew her she ranked always as a woman of refinement and sympathy, a kind neighbor, devoted mother and a true friend.
To her the struggle and burden bearing of earth are ended, and we have faith to believe she has awakened on that other shore to to see life's endless morning break and know herself at home with all the vast throng of loved ones, missed from earth, safe about her. A Friend.
The Molson Leader - Molson, Washington - March 17, 1916


2006-2019. Judi's Genealogy. All rights reserved.