Obituaries G
Search billions of records on

Okanogan County, Washington

Surnames G

GARIGEN, Bern Mrs.
GAY, Etta
GEORGE, Harry W.
GEORGE, John Claude
GEORGE, Methow
GOFF, Naomi R.
GRAHAM, Frances E.
GRANT, Artie
GREGORY, Chester R.
GREVE, Paul Fredrick

David Galbraith
Sudden Call of Death To David Galbraith
The angel of death suddenly called David Galbraith Monday afternoon while he was in town attending to the regular duties of the day. Mr. Galbraith came to town Monday noon to do a bit of his regular shopping and to have some pipe riveted. He stopped at the home of C. J. Boppell and when invited to lunch made the excuse that his stomach had been bothering him a bit of late but otherwise seemed to be in his usual robust health for a man passed seventy years of age.
The end came quickly, quietly and painlessly a very short time later as Mr. Galbraith was standing in the plumbing establishment of Clarence Petitt waiting for his little job to be completed. In an apparent attempt to step away from the bench where he was standing he bumped into the person next to him, excused himself for his clumsiness and quietly sank to the floor as his spirit left the body.
Mr. Galbraith was not only one of the respected pioneers of the Omak community but he was a true Christian gentleman who always had a glad word or a kind act for all with whom he met in the daily rounds of life and while his taking away so suddenly is a great shock to his friends they are glad that the end came as he had devoutly wished that it should, without any slow lingering illness.
At the request of relatives in Tennessee, local friends arranged and held the funeral service at the Presbyterian church Wednesday afternoon. The music was in charge of Mrs. George B. Ladd, at the organ, and a quartette composed of Miss Ethel Campbell, Mrs. Lawrence Gillings, F. R. Hendrick and L. O. Swensorf. Revs. C. J. Boppell and David Brown both made very pleasing and appropriate remarks upon the good life and example of the deceased. The members of the local Masonic lodge attended in a body and the church was well filled with the friends who came to pay their last respects to a true and noble citizen. Interment was made in the Omak Cemetery.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - December 31, 1920

John Galler
Community's Oldest Resident Passes On
"Dutch John" Galler, Aged 108, Dies at the Home of His Son, Wm. Galler, Wednesday Night. One of Earliest Omak White Settlers
Word was brought to town Thursday morning of the death of John Galler, who was not only one of the early white settlers in this part of the valley, but also its oldest resident in point of age.
Mr. Galler first settled near where Wenatchee now stands but later moved to the central part of the Okanogan valley and has been a resident of this section ever since.
As nearly as can be figured out by his children, Mr. Galler was 108 years 1 month and 23 days. He was of German descent, coming to this country when but a lad, and his memory of historical events of early days in both Europe and this country was remarkable as was his strength as he had always led an active life and was able to care for himself up to the time of his death.
Funeral at Mission Friday at 2:30 p.m.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - February 25, 1921

Cyril Gamble  
Cyril Gamble passed away Tuesday evening the home of his parents after a lingering illness of two and one-half years. Cyril Gamble was born in Brewster on the 3rd day of September 1901. Two and one half years ago Cyril was going to Alta Lake with a party of high school students when the Ford car they were in became unmanageable through excessive speed and run into a deep ditch overturning the car and breaking the back of Cyril. He was taken to the hospital at Pateros and later moved to his home here where he has been ever since confined to his bed. No human being will every know to what extent he suffered bodily, but true to his spartan courage never complaining taking up his cross and bearing it manfully to the very end. Funeral ceremony was held Thursday afternoon and burial was at the Locust Grove Cemetery.
He leaves a mother, father and sister, besides other relatives to mourn his end.
Cyril Gamble was of a kindly loving disposition and to know the young man was to love and respect the many sterling qualities. The many friends of the sorrowing relatives extend their sympathy to them in their hour of trouble.
Brewster Herald - Brewster, Washington - December 7, 1923

George J. Gardiner  
George J. Gardiner, Pioneer and County Engineer, is Called by Death
County Engineer George J. Gardiner died at noon Monday. Suffering for a number of years with a weak heart, and acutely afflicted thereby for the last few months, Mr. Gardiner has been scarcely able to sleep or enjoy rest in any manner, and his death came after a brave struggle to fight off the inevitable.
Mr. Gardiner's wife was visiting in North Yakima at the time of his death. She was notified and is expected to arrive at Okanogan on this afternoon's train when definite arrangements will be made for the funeral which in all probability will be held at Oroville, where they have lived for a number of years. In the meantime the body lies at the Okanogan Undertaking parlors in charge of the local I. O. O. F. lodge, of which order deceased was a member. The funeral will probably be in charge of the Oroville lodge.
Mr. Gardiner was a pioneer of Okanogan county, an engineer of exceptional ability, and a man who stood high in the esteem of all who knew him. The engineer's office at the court house was closed yesterday out of respect to his memory and the county commissioners passed special resolutions of condolence.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - June 8, 1915

Mrs. Bern Garigen  
Death Of Mrs. Garigen.
The death of Mrs. Bern Garigen occurred Friday last at the Riverside hospital, where she had been taken a few days before suffering from typhoid fever. He funeral was held Monday morning at the Catholic Church in this city, Rev. Father Tritz officiating. Interment was made in the Okanogan cemetery.
Mrs. Garigen was a young mother, highly respected in this community. She had spent almost her entire life in the Happy Hill section and the esteem in which she was held there was attested to by the people of that section attending the funeral almost to a person.
Deceased was born in North Carolina May 2, 1892, and came to Okanogan county when a mere child with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Cogdill, who settled on a ranch on Happy Hill. She was married to Mr. Garigen in 1908, and a son and two daughters survive. She was a sister of Mrs. Jess Bolin and Mrs. Wm. Bolin, and leaves a brother, living in North Carolina.
The local Catholic church, where son with wonderful offerings of handsomely decorated for the occa- the funeral service was held, was flowers. The funeral was under the direction of the local undertaker, Ed Yarwood.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - September 9, 1919

Mat Garigen  
Badly Injured, Lies In Cold For 7 Hours
Mat Garigen Victim of Serious Accident.
Arlington Grade Near Ruby, Scene of Bad Spill Caused by Broken Neck Yoke
Thrown from a four horse load of poles and rendered unconscious through a multitude of injuries, Mat Garigen, a pioneer of the county, lay helpless for several hours Tuesday on the grade leading to the Arlington mines section above the old town of Ruby. When discovered by Wm. Jay, who went in search for him, Garigen had regained his senses but was almost frozen and suffering from several broken ribs, a broken hip, and painful bruises on his jaw, arms and elsewhere. The unfortunate man was removed to the Oroville hospital Wednesday, where it was thought an operation would be necessary to restore his ribs to their proper position. Fear is expressed also that the exposure may bring on pneumonia.
Garigen has displayed remarkable stamina for a man of his years and barring complications is expected to recover, although he will be laid up for several months. He is about 59 years old. His wife died at their home on Happy Hill from a stroke of paralysis on October 20th.
The victim's version of the accident is that a neck yoke gave way and he was unable to prevent his load crowding the horses, who became unmanageable. Garigen did not know just how his injuries were sustained, but it appears that he was thrown from his high seat with considerable violence onto the upper side of the grade among jagged rocks. The wagon, when found was crossways of the road. The horses broke loose and remained at the scene of the accident. Upon regaining consciousness, Garigen attempted to frighten the horses in the hope that they would go home and attract someone to his aid. One horse, however, had become tied to a tree by the reins and the others would not leave.
Wm. Jay, who had gone down the grade a short time ahead of Garigen, became alarmed when after several hours his neighbor did not pass on his way home. Jay started out afoot and found the unfortunate man. He immediately returned down the hill to summon help, and on the Salmon creek road met Dr. C. W. Lane, enroute to Conconully on a professional call.
Garigen was removed to his home and temporarily made as comfortable as possible, and Wednesday morning was taken to the hospital at Oroville in the Bureau hotel bus. Chas. A. Lindsay, accompanied by Ben Garigen of Okanogan, saw him at his home and the injured man displayed the greatest fortitude. Mrs. Claude George of Omak, a step-daughter, was also present.
Realizing the seriousness of his condition, Garigen unconcernedly gave attention to business affairs and asked that Attorney W. C. Gresham be summoned to prepare his will, with a thought for the care of his live stock, he also discussed the advisability of holding an immediate public aution.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - November 30, 1918

Mat Garigen Dead At Oroville From Injuries Sustained Last Week
Word reached The Independent at noon Friday that Mat Garigen had died during the previous night from injuries and exposure sustained a week ago Tuesday when he was thrown from a load of poles on the Arlington grade near old Ruby and lay for about seven hours in the cold, suffering from broken ribs and other serious injuries. Death occured at the Oroville hospital, where the deceased was taken the day following his accident.
Garigen was one of the pioneers of the Happy Hill district, where he owned considerable property. His wife died in October. He leaves a stepdaughter, Mrs. Claude George of Omak, and a brother, Ben, of Okanogan.
Arrangements were made to ship the remains to Okanogan on today's train.
The funeral services will be held at the Catholic church in this city Sunday morning at 9 o'clock by Fr. Tritz. Interment will be at the Conconully cemetery.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - December 7, 1918

Death Of Mat Garigan  
Mat Garigen died at the Oroville General hospital Thursday of last week, this paper going to press too early to make the announcement in the last issue. Mr. Garigen was the victim of a shocking accident. He was thrown upon the rocks from a load of wood and laid out for several hours in the cold before he was discovered, the accident occurring near the old town of Ruby. He was brouguht to Oroville and upon examination it was found that his hip was broken and several ribs fractured. He also suffered from internal injuries which were the cause of death. It was impossible for the physicians to check a constant hemorrhage, and the patient was too weak to risk an operation. The body was taken in charge by Undertaker L. W. Barnes and prepared for shipment, going to Okanogan Saturday morning. The deceased was among the oldest residents of the county, locating in the Happy Hill district, near Conconully, some 30 years ago, where he owned considerable land. He was a man about 60 years of age. His wife died last October.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - December 13, 1918

John C. Garrett  
Pioneer John C. Garrett Dies in Chelan.
The sad intelligence was received here yesterday morning of the death of Hon. John C. Garrett, an esteemed citizen of this valley, who died in Chelan yesterday morning at 2 o'clock.
Members of the family left at once for Chelan, where they will take charge of the remains.
The deceased is survived by his wife and eight children, two of whom, R. C. Garrett and Mrs. R. N. Miller, live here, and a son and five daughters live in Harney county, Ore. They have been notified.
J. C. Garrett was born in Tennessee, and was 69 years of age November 10 last. During the war he served in the confederate army.
The news of his death causes much sorrow in this valley where he has lived for the past eight years, and where he was uniformly loved and esteemed.
Mrs. Garrett and daughter, Mrs. Miller, were present at the bedside when death came. Up to the hour of going to press, funeral arrangements had not been completed.
Deceased was past chancellor in the local lodge, Knights of Pythias, and the Chelan lodge has been notified to render all possible assistance.
It is probable burial will be made at Chelan.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - May 1, 1908

Etta Gay  
Sudden Death
Mrs. Ralf Gay died quite suddenly at her home on the west side of the Similkameen river, near Oroville, Sunday. The deceased was a victim of heart disease. The funeral took place from the Metrodist church Monday afternoon, Rev. U. C. Smothers, assisted by Rev. J. A. Spencer, conducting the services.
Miss Etta Heady, the maiden name of the deceased, was born September 13, 1894, at Ottumwa, Iowa, and hence was aged 23 years, 9 months and 17 days. She was married to Ralf Gay at Red Oak, Iowa, January 8, 1913. She was the mother of two children, one a girl four years of age and a boy aged 14 months. She leaves a husband, two children, father, mother, three brothers and four sisters to mourn her loss. The deceased and family have resided near Oroville only a short time, but she won friends with all with whom she came in contact. The sympathy of the community goes out to the stricken husband and relatives.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - July 5, 1918

Harry W. George  
Harry W. George Succumbs To Typhoid.
People of this community were grieved early in the week to hear of the recent death at Twin Falls, Idaho, of Harry W. George, a well known young man of Omak. The cause of his death was typhoid fever which he contracted while on a visit to the Idaho town. He left here several weeks ago to attend the land drawing at Twin Falls and shortly after reaching that place became ill. He was in a hospital some two weeks and according to reports received by relatives at Omak, was improving. Then suddenly came a change for the worse and on Monday of last week he passed away.
The body was prepared for shipment home and arrived Thursday. That afternoon at 3 o'clock funeral service was conducted at the family residence near Omak, Rev. Jas. Thomson Jr. officiating. Interment was made in the Riverside cemetery.
Harry W. George was an exemplary young man and his untimely taking off is deeply mourned by a large acquaintance. He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Willard George, pioneer settlers of the Okanogan valley, and was 25 years of age, having been born in Cresson City, Ill.
For some time deceased was engaged at work in the Reclamation Service on the Okanogan project, and the pall bearers at his funeral were selected from his former associates in in the work.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - July 18, 1908

John Claude George
John Claude George was born August 28, 1881, at Crescent City, Illinois. Coming to Omak in 1903, he homesteaded part of what is now the Town of Omak.
In 1906, he was united in marriage to Miss Teresa Webb, to this union were born two sons and two daughters.
Mr. George departed this life July 16, 1920, after several years of persistent struggle against the dread disease tuberculosis.
Besides being one of the early platters of the town of Omak Mr. George was one of the town's pioneer merchants and boosters, being also one of the first auto owners and garage men in Okanogan county and he took his place in all the early enterprises that bid fair to make this community a better place in which to live.
While quite a young man, he made his confession of faith and became a member of the Methodist church where he was for many years an active worker. Later, he became less interested but during the last days of his life turned again to his former faith regretting that he had not remained true to it.
Those surviving are his wife, four children, parents and four brothers.
Interment was made at Omak cemetery Sunday, July 18, 1920.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - July 23, 1920

Methow George  
Methow George Dead
Old Methow George, one of the best liked Indians who regularly visit this valley during the summer fishing season, is no more. George met his death Wednesday evening in the Okanogan river by slipping off the ice into the chilly water, and before assistance arrived his life was extinct. The death of the Indian will be much regretted by a large number of people in the county, as he was looked upon with general favor. Methow George has been a taxpayer here for some years. The place now owned by J. D. Lyda was purchased from him, but at the time of his death, he was residing on his ranch in the Okanogan valley. He is survived by his wife, Jenny, to whom he was married prior to white settlement of this region. Fourteen children were born to the happy pair, the last of which died on the banks of Twisp, near this town, last summer.
The Pateros Reporter - Pateros, Washington - February 21, 1908

Sid Gibson  
Sid Gibson Dead.
Sid Gibson, for the past ten years a resident of Conconully, died there November 11 at the age of 48 years. Burial was in the Conconully cemetery on November 12. Gibson is survived by six children, the three eldest being Minnie, Bert and Elmer.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - November 15, 1921

Will Gibson  
Will Gibson, a farmer living on Wolf Hill, north of Conconully, was found dead in the road about three miles from his home Tuesday evening, a victim, the officials believe, of heart failure.
Mr. Gibson went to Conconully Tuesday morning on horseback, did some trading at the Grahlman-Bown store, and left for home about 9:30. When evening came and he did not arrive, the family became concerned and telephoned to town to ascertain if he was still there. Mr. Grahlman answered the phone call and notified Mrs. Gibson that her husband had left for home early in the day. It was surmised that something had gone wrong and it was arranged to have a searching party leave at each end of the line at the same time. Mrs. Gibson's son and a neighbor left the home and a party of Conconully people started from town. About three miles from the Gibson home the son and friend came upon the body of Mr. Gibson lying across the road, face upward, with left hand clasped tight over his heart.
The body was left undisturbed during the night and the following morning the sheriff and prosecuting attorney were notified. Mr. Johnson telephoned to Dr. Polk of Conconully to make an examination of the body in the morning and in company with Deputy Ward the prosecuting attorney went up to where the body was found. There was a slight bruise on one cheek and a scratch on the head, both of which the officials believe, were caused by the fall from the horse. Everything indicated that heartfailure was the cause of death, Mr. Gibson having been troubled with his heart for some time previous.
Deceased was about 50 years of age and leaves a wife and nine children, some of whom have attained their majority. He came to Okanogan county about thirteen years ago from North Carolina. His mother lives in that vicinity, also several brothers. The funeral was held Thursday at Conconully.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - August 21, 1915

Albert C. Gillespie  
Death Of A. C. Gillespie.
An old resident of Okanogan county and a pioneer of Eastern Washington passed away at Brewster, last week, when Albert C. Gillespie answered the last summons, and his death removes a worthy citizen and a very old friend and acquaintance of the editor of this paper. Al. Gillespie, as he was best known among his familiars, was a man of sterling character, a staunch friend a public spirited citizen, beloved and respected by those who knew him best. He has been failing for months, but few realized that his ailment was of so serious a nature and the hope was entertained that he would eventually regain his normal rugged health. During his lifetime Mr. Gillespie took an active part in the civic affairs of the community in which he lived and was always a prominent worker in the ranks of the republican party. In the old convention days no political gathering of that description fathered by the members of his party was complete without his presence.
Our acquaintance with Mr. Gillespie extended back to the summer of 1884 when he first located at Cheney, at that time one of the most important towns along the Northern Pacific railroad, vying for supremacy with its near neighbor, Spokane Falls. Then, again, when through the changes time works we accepted a position in the land office at Waterville county. In after years we again met the deceased frequently, when changed conditions brought us to the Okanogan country. The friendship formed in 1884 continued throughout the years, and we read of the death of Al. Gillespie with feelings of the keenest regret and sorrow.
Mr. Gillespie located at Brewster 15 years ago, where he has continuously been engaged in the mercantile business. He leaves a wife, mother, two sons and a brother, Dave L. Gillespie, editor of the Brewster Herald, to mourn his loss. The family have our sincere sympathy in this hour of their deep affliction.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - April 5, 1918

Martin Gillihan  
Martin Gillihan Dead.
The Portland Oregonian, of January 27, contains the following article, concerning the death of Martin Gillihan, father of J. T. Gillihan, of this place:
Martin Gillihan, one of the best known of the Oregon pioneers, passed away at his home on Sauvie's Island, where he has lived for the past 55 years. One year ago Mr. Gillihan suffered a stroke of paralysis and never completely regained his health. Another stroke of the same malady was the immediate cause of his death.
Martin Gillihan was born in Jackson county, Tennessee, October 30, 1824. He was but 6 years of age when his parents removed to Greene county, Illinois, from which locality they went to Polk county, Missouri, at the end of three years. In the spring of 1844 he started across the overland trail with ox teams and driving a band of cattle. After six months of hardship he arrived in Washington county, Oregon. In the fall of 1846 he settled upon a large farm on Sauvie's Island, which he subsequently traded for three horses and went to California.
In 1849 Mr. Gillihan returned to Oregon and again located on Sauvie's Island, where he had since resided on a farm of 900 acres. The year following his return he married Miss Sarah C. Howell, of Millerstown, Pa. Eight of their thirteen children are still living. Mrs. Gillihan died two years ago.
The funeral services were held at the family home Sunday last, interment being made in the family lot at the Vancouver cemetery. The pallbearers were members of the Oregon Pioneer Association, of which deceased was a prominent member.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - February 2, 1906

James A. Gilmour  
Death Of J. A. Gilmour.
Saturday afternoon James A. Gilmour father of Guy Gilmour, of this place, died at the Oroville General hospital after a long illness, and in his death passed away one of those old pioneers of the west, the ranks of which have been so depleted by the ravages of time that few are left to tell of the days of '49.
The deceased was born in Missouri in 1843, and hence had reached his 76th year. When an infant his family moved to Illinois and in 1849 his parents crossed the plains to Oregon in an ox drawn prairie schooner. The deceased spent 70 years in Oregon and Washington. He was a blacksmith by trade, but like almost all of the men who came west he took up the mining game and followed it until age incapacitated him from active work. He came to Okanogan county in very early days and was at Ruby when that old camp was in the zenith of its prosperity. At the time of his death he still owned mining claims near Keller which he long dreamed would make him rich. During his residence in Okanogan county he had many friends among the old timers. Of late years he has made his home with his son, James Gilmour, at Cappose, Oregon.
The deceased was a victim of Brights disease and has been failing for months. He wanted to reach Republic and consult his old friend Dr. C. F. Webb, but when he reached the home of his son in this place, hardly two weeks ago, his condition was such that he had to be placed in the hospital. The disease had reached such a stage that there was no earthly help for the unfortunate old pioneer.
The deceased leaves two sons, Guy A. Gilmour, of Oroville, and James Gilmour, of Cappose, Oregon, and six grand children to mourn his death. The funeral took place from L. W. Barnes' undertaking parlors Tuesday, and a large number of friends and acquaintances attended to show their last respects to the departed.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - May 2, 1919

Rosa M. Goermer
Rosa M. Goermer Called By Death
Had Lived Here Since 1910; Body Taken East for Burial
Rosa M. Goermer died Sunday after an illness of only a few days.
She was born April 16, 1862 in Tiffin, Ohio. She married Louis L. Goermer on April 19, 1890 at Detroit, Mich. They came to Okanogan in 1910. Mr. Goermer died in June, 1930.
Mrs. Goermer leaves two adopted daughters, Mrs. Art Goff and Miss Grace Goermer; a granddaughter, Mary Lou Goff; two nieces and one nephew in California, and two nieces in Ohio.
She will be buried beside her husband and sister in Mt. Clemens, Mich.
Abstracted from the original - The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - January 8, 1943

Naomi R. Goff
Services Are Set For Naomi R. Goff
Naomi Ruth Goff died October 1st in Omak. Services will be held on Thursday in Okanogan at the Episcopal church.
She was born May 22, 1915 at Pittsburg, PA. She married Arthur Goff in Okanogan on November 12, 1934.
She is survived by her husband and daughter, Mary Lou of Okanogan and a sister, Mrs. Grace Goermer, Arcadia, California.
Burial will be in the Okanogan cemetery.
Abstracted from the original - The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - October 4, 1951

J. E. Goggins  
Death of Dr. Goggins.
A report has been received here announcing the death of Dr. J. E. Goggins of Conconully, at his home in that town on Monday last, Oct. 21st, but no particulars were given. The deceased was a highly educated physician of great skill and large experience, and his demise will be keenly felt in both the business and social circles of his home town and the county at large. The deceased leaves a wife and one child, and the deepest sympathy of the entire community in which he dwelt will go out to the bereaved wife and fatherless little one.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - October 25, 1907

Frances E. Graham  
Frances E. Graham
The Death Angel relieved the sufferings of "Grandma" Graham Monday morning at 3 o'clock. Surrounded by those nearest and dearest her she passed away after a severe illness of about three weeks, death resulting from cancer.
Frances Evans was born seventy-seven years ago at Carlton Place, Ontario. In 1858 she was married to William J. Graham, and to them nine children were born, five of whom survive. These are Frank C. and Miss Annie of Okanogan; James S. of Malott; Joseph A. of Aberdeen, and William J., Jr., of Ontario. All were present at the time of her death except the last named. Her husband died thirteen years ago.
The funeral will be held this (Tuesday) afternoon at 2 o'clock under the auspices of the local lodge of Rebekahs. Rev. J. O. Hawk of the Methodist church will have charge of the services. Deceased was prominently identified with the Rebekah organization and had been a life-long member of the Methodist church.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - June 1, 1915
Submitted by Clara Jacobson

Artie Grant  
Mrs. Chas. Grant Dead
At 12:15 Wednesday morning Mrs. Chas. Grant, of Methow, passed away at the Milnor home. The direct cause of her death was exopthalmic goitre. Mrs. Grant had been in ill health for some time, but her ailment was not thought serious until a few days ago, when medical advice was sought, with the result that Mrs. Grant was brought from her home and placed under the care of a trained nurse at this place. Everything possible was done, but to no avail. Her untimely death is mourned by a widower and two small children, a girl of four years and a boy of one year, as well as a host of friends.
Mrs. Grant, who was Miss Artie Cook, a niece of Joe Cook who has a ranch on Texas creek, before she married Mr. Grant about six years ago, was born at Appleton City, Missouri, thirty-three years ago. Her parents still reside at that place. She came west to visit her uncle. During this visit she met and married Mr. Grant, who is one of the pioneers of the Methow, having settled here twenty-two years ago. He is known from one end of the valley to the other and has a host of sympathisers in his present bereavement.
Funeral services were held at Methow at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon and interment was made at that place.
Mrs. Grant's parents have been notified of the death of their daughter and arrive here sometime next week.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - February 24, 1911

William J. Greenaway  
W. J. Greenaway Dies From Ptomaine Poisoning
William James Greenaway, a resident of the reservation, died Sunday morning at 9 o'clock, following an attack of ptomaine poisoning. Death resulted, it is thought from eating canned beef. Other members of the family partook of the same meat, but were not sick, and the family assumed that Mr. Greenaway ate the outside slice and that the balance was not contaminated.
He was brought to Okanogan for medical treatment but lived only a short time.
The deceased was past 51 years of age. He was born in Ontario, Canada, October 4, 1869. He came west 36 years ago, and was married in 1895 to Miss Effie Marshall in Douglas county. Six children were born, four of whom are now living, Mrs. Stuttler of Bridgeport, Vernard and Retha Greenaway. A daughter, Mamie, died in 1918, and another daughter died 14 years ago.
For 20 years, Mr. Greenaway had been a member of the Christian church.
Besides the immediate family, the deceased is survived by his father, mother, two brothers and five sisters.
Funeral arrangements were in charge of the Okanogan Undertaking Company. Burial was at the Bridgeport cemetery at 2 o'clock today.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - July 5, 1921

Chester R. Gregory  
Riverside, Calif. - Chester Roy Gregory, 82, a former resident of the Entiat Valley, died Wednesday, Sept. 22, 1993, at Riverside.
He was born Sept. 2, 1911, to John and Lela Gregory at Grapevine, Ark. He lived in the Entiat Valley and raised quarter horses. He moved to Riverside three years ago.
He is survived by his wife, Sophronia of Riverside; one son; three grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.
Abstracted from the original - The Wenatchee World - Wenatchee, Washington - October 6, 1993
Submitted by Ilene Jeffers

Paul Fredrick Greve
Paul Fredrick Greve was born January 19, 1872 at Kiel, Wisconsin where he attended business college in Milwaukee. He began his business career in a store at Ida Grove, Iowa, thence moving to Holstein. Soon thereafter he and three companions set sail in a sloop down the Mississippi river, thence proceeding to Florida by way of the Gulf of Mexico. Later he entered into the employ of the M. E. Smith Wholesale Dry Goods Co. in Omaha, Neb., having for his territory the states of Dakota and Wyoming. He was also one of the organizers of the Northwest School of Taxidermy.
He was married June 21, 1905 to Nina M. Daniels in Omaha, Neb., coming from there to Wenatchee in March 1906 and from there purchasing a part of the Baker homestead near Riverside. Here he planted and developed one of the finest orchards under the Government Okanogan Project.
In the death of Mr. Greve the community has lost a good citizen as well as an efficient business man, one who in spite of years of toil met every one of life's rebuffs with a smile.
He left to mourn his death his wife, Nina M. Greve of Riverside, Washington, three brothers and two sisters.
Funeral services will be held in Portland, Oregon, Sunday, December fourth, where the remains will be laid to rest in the Mount Scott Cemetery.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - November 25, 1921

Mary Griffin  
Mrs. Griffin Dies
Mrs. Mary Griffin died at her home in Riverside at 4 a. m. Friday, following a serious illness of several weeks. She was unconscious for nearly ten days.
The deceased was one of the old pioneers of the county, coming to Washington before it was a state, and settling down in Okanogan county in the late 80s.
The old Griffin ranch was located where Ellisforde now stands. Her husband, who died several years ago, was one of the noted citizens of the county, and served as one of the first county commissioners.
Mrs. Griffin was nearly seventy years of age at the time of her death. She is survived by two sons and one daughter. Mrs. Tom Jones and Ross Griffin, both live at Riverside. Frank Griffin is living at Oroville.
Funeral services will be held at the church in Riverside at 11 a.m. Saturday. At 1 p.m. the body will be taken to Oroville for burial by the side of her husband in the Oroville cemetery.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - August 19, 1922

Anna Gronlund  
Death Of Mrs. Gronlund
Mrs. Anna Gronlund, wife of K. J. Granlund, a well known farmer living in this vicinity, died at the Oroville General hospital Thursday morning of diabetes. The deceased has been ailing for two or three months, but was able to be around attending to her household duties until Monday, when she was taken to the hospital. The funeral will take place from the Methodist Church, Sunday afternoon, at 2:30.
Anna Gronlund was a native of Sweden and aged 54 years, 2 months and 3 days. She was married 34 years ago and was the mother of four children, and has raised an adopted son. The eldest son is now in France, a member of Co. B, 103d Engineers. She had lived in this country seven years. She leaves a husband and five children to mourn her loss. She was a devoted wife and a most loving mother. Much of her break down is attributed to worry over her son in the army. The sympathy of friends and neighbors go out to the family in this hour of their great affliction.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - July 12, 1918

Con Guiney  
Pioneer Passes On
After a short illness of only a few weeks, Con Guiney died at the home of relatives on the reservation Tuesday night.
Mr. Guiney had reached the ripe old age of 75 years and had thus enjoyed a bit of borrowed time over the alloted Bible time.
Con Guiney was a native of Ireland, coming to this country in his youth he first settled in the state of New York but soon took up the western trail until he located in the Wenatchee and later in the Okanogan valley.
A wife and three children, two of whom are adopted, are left to mourn their loss.
Funeral services were held at St. Mary's Mission Thursday forenoon and a large circle of relatives and friends were present to pay their last respects to the deceased. Services were in charge of Father Caldi and interment made at the Mission cemetery.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - June 17, 1921

C. W. Gunderson  
C. W. Gunderson, Homesteader, Meets Death
Skull Crushed When Wagon Runs Over Body.
Young Man Had Lived Here Only Three Months--Body Shipped to Seattle.
C. W. Gunderson, a homesteader living near Duley lake, was accidentally killed Tuesday, when a team which apparently he was leading through a gate on the ranch of Miss Anderson, a neighbor, knocked him down and ran over him in such a way that one of the wheels of the wagon passed over his head and crushed the skull. The team, running at large was discovered by Miss Anderson, who began a search for the driver and found Gunderson lying in the road unconscious. The lady at once notified neighbors and Dr. C. W. Lane was sent for but before his arrival life had passed from the unforunate young man.
Gunderson had just visited the Anderson home and secured a hay rack and was passing through Miss Anderson's gate when the accident occurred. From all appearances he had opnd the gate and was leading the team through. The horses were rather fractious and probably took fright and got beyond his control.
Gunderson was 28 years of age, was unmarried, and had been here only about three months. He came from Seattle where his mother, two brothers and a sister live. He was a class 1A man in the selective draft and expected to go with the August contingent. He was a brother of Mrs. Henry Sammett, also a reservation homesteader.
The body was brought to Okanogan by Undertaker Ed. Yarwood and prepared for shipment. A brother, A. M. Gunderson, arrived Wednesday night from Seattle and took the body Thursday to Seattle for burial.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - July 27, 1918


2006-2019. Judi's Genealogy. All rights reserved.