Obituaries H

Okanogan County, Washington

Surnames H

HANEY, Frank
HARKINS, William M.
HAWKINS, Rachel V. (Jennie)
HELM, Lona
HESS, William
HILL, Leslie
HOFFER, George L.
HOLMES, Louisa B.
HOOPER, William E.
HOOSE, Maude V.
HUBBARD, Mrs. Dewey
HURLEY, George J.
HUDSON, Harry L.
HUSSEY, Bertram B.

George W. Hamilton  Added 06/06/07
Geo. W. Hamilton.
A. B. Hamilton of Pleasant Valley was apprised recently of the death of his father, George W. Hamilton, in California. Deceased was 81 years old, and death came a few weeks after he had been stricken with paralysis. Although bodily disabled by the stroke, his mind was clear to the end and when he realized that he was dying cheerfully bid farewell to his relatives and friends and told them he would blaze the trail for them to the other world.
Mr. Hamilton lived in this section about six or seven years and proved up on a valuable piece of land in Pleasant Valley. About five years ago he returned to his old home in California to spend his last days. He was a native of Ohio. Leaving Illinois when a lad, he started April 1, 1850, for California, arriving at Hangtown, now Placreville, on August 11th. In 1856 he was married at Stony Point, in Sonoma county, and fifteen years ago his wife died in the same room in which they were married. He has four sons and five daughters.
Mr. Hamilton will be remembered locally as a hale and hearty old gentleman with a kind word for everyone, fond of outdoor life, and was never happier than when presenting some friend with a nice string of trout or directing a fellow hunter to his favorite shooting grounds. He has many friends in Okanogan who will regret to hear of his death.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - June 1, 1915

Arthur B. Hamilton  Added 7/26/06
Arthur B. Hamilton Dies In California
Mrs. Jacob Parks of Pleasant Valley has received word that her father, Arthur B. Hamilton, passed away at his home in Mill Valley, Calif., last Sunday morning at 7:30 o'clock. Mr. Hamilton will be kindly remembered by a large number of acquaintances in Okanogan, having lived near here for some seventeen years, and being held in high esteem. The following biographical sketch is furnished us by Mrs. Parks:
"Arthur B. Hamilton was born about 1859 at Stoney Point, not far from Santa Rosa, California, in a large old house on his father's homestead which had been a roadside inn, in the old days when San Francisco was a mere hamlet, and where his parents were married and his mother died after having raised a family of nine children to manhood and womanhood.
"In 1888 he was married to Elizabeth Durrenberger at Silver City, Nevada.
"He spent many years in the mines of Nevada and California and in 1902 came to Okanogan, where he took up a homestead in Pleasant Valley. Here he lived seventeen years when his failing health caused him to return to California in hopes of finding relief in the milder southern climate. But his health continued to fail and he passed away March 19th at his home in Mill Valley and was laid to rest at Oakland.
"Mr. Hamilton was always a staunch supporter of all public spirited enterprises, such as the grange, livestock associations, telephones, good roads, schools and the various war drives. He was a kind and loving father and a loyal friend.
"Those left to mourn his loss are his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Hamilton; his daughter, Mrs. Jacob Parks; her three children; two sons, Earle, of Chicago and Courtney of Mill Valley; five sisters, Mrs. Walter Jones of Bloomfield, Cal.; Mrs. John Beckett of Los Angeles; Mrs. John Barrett, Mrs. Martin Hamlin and Mrs. Gordon Fadden, all of San Francisco; and two brothers, Dr. J. W. Hamilton of Oakland, and C. D. Hamilton of Modesto."
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - March 25, 1922

Mary E. Hamilton  Added 03/15/07
Death Calls An Early Pioneer
Brief mention was made last week of the death of Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Hamilton of Malott, stepmother of Mrs. L. C. Malott. Mrs. Hamilton died October 16th at the home of her son Frank R. Hamilton in Sedro-Woolley, where she had been taken but a few days previously, accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. Malott. She had been confined to her bed almost continually for four months, the complaint being dropsy.
Had "Grandma" Hamilton lived until next month, she would have reached the age of 78. With her husband and several children, she crossed the plains from Iowa in 1862, settling in California. The usual method of travel in those days--a caravan or covered wagon--made the trip long and tedious, covering several months time. Mr. Hamilton died thirty-five years ago at the age of 63 years.
Three sons survive, all located in the west, Frank R. at Sedro-Woolley, Edward at Oakland, California, and Chas. G. at Silver City, Nevada. An only daughter died a year ago at Eugene, Oregon.
Mrs. Hamilton first visited Malott sixteen years ago. Again seven years ago she made a prolonged stay, and eighteen months ago she came to this section to make her home. The old lady retained all her faculties until the end. Realizing that death was only a question of a short time, her one hope was to reach the home of her nearest son at Sedro-Woolley. Last month, her condition seemed favorable for the effort and plans were made accordingly. The job and anticipation rallied strength and Mrs. Hamilton made the trip to the outside and arrived at her son's home feeling better than for several months. Her energy had been sapped, however, and the reaction resulted in death, the end coming peacefully. Mrs. Malott was present at the time of death, but Mr. Malott had been home but a few hours when the sad message was sent the family here.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - October 29, 1909

Frank Haney  Added 04/30/07
Frank Haney, Pioneer Citizen, Called By Death
Frank Haney, one of the pioneers of the Spring Coulee section, died last Saturday, October 31st, after a lingering illness with cancer. The funeral was held Sunday at the parlors of the local undertaking association conducted by Mr. Yarwood. The religious ceremony was in charge of Rev. Mikel of the Baptist church, and interment was made in Okanogan cemetery.
Mr. Haney was 60 years of age and was born in New Brunswick. He came to Okanogan county ten years ago, locating on the place southwest of town that has been his home since. He leaves to mourn his departure his wife and four children--James, Mazie, Nora, Lois and Frank; two brothers, Harris and William Haney; two sisters, Mrs. L. M. Kahlow and Mrs. S. W. Dow.
Mr. Haney was a good citizen, highly respected by all who knew him, and his departure will be a distinctive loss to the community.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - November 6, 1914

William M. Harkins  Added 10/31/06
Death Of Wm. M. Harkins.
Last Friday night, after a lingering illness of many months caused chiefly by physical breaking down from old age, William M. Harkins, a pioneer resident of Oregon and Washington, died at the home of H. P. Decent, at Loomis where he has been cared for for some time. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon, and a large number of old friends and acquaintances of the family followed the remains to their last resting place in Mountain View cemetery.
The deceased was born in Arkansas and was between 72 and 73 years of age at the time of death. When a young man he came west, locating in the Willemette valley, where he long engaged in farming. From Oregon he came north about 1893 and located at Loomis and while he has been considerable of a wanderer since that time much of his latter life has been spent in the old camp. The deceased leaves two daughters, Mrs. H. C. Gregg and Mrs. J. L. Masters, both of Oroville, and one son, Earl, of San Francisco. His wife died at Loomis in 1895.
The Oroville Gazette - Oroville, Washington - December 17, 1920

Marie Wood Harvey  Added 04/20/07
N. Marie (Wood) Harvey
N. Marie (Wood) Harvey, 68, died at her home on January 15.
She was born May 15, 1933 in Fordyce, AR to Edmund and Pearl Gill Wood. She married William Elton Harvey, Sr. on Aug. 27, 1951. They made their home in Omak.
Survivors include two daughters, five grandchildren, one great-grandson, one brother, four sisters and five brothers-in-law.
Her parents, her husband, one son, William Elton Harvey, Jr. and two brothers, Elbert and Floyd Wood, preceded her in death.
Services were held Jan. 19, 2002 at Okanogan Memorial Gardens near Okanogan. Barnes Elmway Chapel, Okanogan, was in charge of arrangements.
Abstracted form the original - The Wenatchee World - Wenatchee, Washington - February 8, 2002
Submitted by Ilene Jeffers

Annie Hatcher
Mrs. H. H. Hatcher Passes
The sudden and untimely taking away of Mrs. Harley Hatcher early Sunday morning cast a wave of sadness over the entire community.
Annie Link was the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Link and by her pleasing personality and generous offering of her talents had made for herself a cherised position in the social life of the community. Her happy married life was spent here and she left a husband and four small children to mourn their loss, the youngest being but six months of age. Death was caused by acute tuberculosis.
Rev. C. J. Boppell conducted funeral services in the Presbyterian church Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock and interment was made at Riverview cemetery.
The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the bereaved families.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - October 10, 1919

Death of Mrs. Hatcher  Added 06/04/10
Mrs. Harley Hatcher of Pogue Flat, formerly Miss Annie Link, died Sunday after a short illness, of acute tuberculosis. The funeral was held this morning at Omak and interment made in the Omak cemetery.
Mrs. Hatcher was the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. W. Link, orchardists of the Omak district. She was a talented musician and a young lady of many accomplishments.
Deceased leaves besides her husband four young children, the youngest being but six months of age.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - October 7, 1919

Rachel V. (Jennie) Hawkins  Added 10/15/06
Death Of Mrs. Hawkins
Mrs. Jennie Hawkins quietly passed from this life Monday evening after being a patient sufferer for many years.
Funeral services were held at the home of Mrs. and Mrs. Jacob Fink at four o'clock Wednesday afternoon, Rev. C. J. Boppell officiating. The body was taken to Tacoma Thursday morning for interment.

Rachel Virginia Hoover, daughter of James and America Hoover, was born August 4th, 1866, at Palermo, Ill. She departed this life May 24th, 1920.
When a child, she, with her parents; removed to Attica, Ind., where she grew up to womanhood and taught in the public schools until her marriage to Harrison Hawkins in February 1894.
To this union, one son, Harrison, was born, the father living only one and one-half years afterwards.
Mrs. Hawkins and son then lived with her parents, making their declining years happy.
In the spring of 1910, they removed to Omak, where they both have since resided.
Mrs. Hawkins is survived by one son, Harrison Hawkins, four brothers and one sister: J. F. Hoover, Veedersburg, Ind., A. R. Hoover, LaFayette, Ind., T. O. Hoover, Boswell, Ind., J. A. Hoover, Frankfort, Ind., Ella M. Heaton, Wichita, Kansas.
In her early life, she united with the Presbyterian church and has ever been a most earnest Christian.
"Sleep on dear mother, may thy rest
With angels be supremely blest
Thy warfare o'er, thy sufferings past
At home, sweet home, with Christ at last."

In this hour of bereavement we wish to extend our heartfelt thanks to those friends and neighbors who so kindly assisted us in the death of our mother and aunt.
Harrison Hawkins
Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Fink and Family
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - May 28, 1920

Abby Hawthorne  Added 10/17/07
Twisp Pioneer Passes Away.
Mrs. Abby Hawthorne, mother of Mrs. O. B. Brown, formerly of this place, and grandmother of Mrs. J. T. Gillihan, now residing here, and well known and remembered by many, died Jan. 18 at Klamath Falls, Oregon, where she has lived with her daughter and two grandsons since leaving here about four years ago. The sad news of her death came as a shock to her relatives and many friends here, as she has been in the best of health and strongly avowing she was going to live to pass the one hundred mark, but she contracted a slight cold and four days later passed peacefully away. Particulars of the funerel have not been released.
Mrs. Hawthorne, known as grandma by her friends, was the last of her family, leaving neither brother nor sister to mourn her death, but her loss is keenly felt by her progeny to the fourth generation, which is represented by Mrs. A. L. Lampson and her brother, Chas. Simpson, of this place, the third being represented by their mother, Mrs. Gillihan and her two brothers, Leon and Fred Brown, who are in business in Klamath Falls. Her daughter, Mrs. O. R. Brown, who resides with her sons at Klamath Falls, with whom she has made her home since the death of her husband about seven years ago, is the sole representative of the second.
She was born at Bangor, Maine, May 6, 1811, making her nearly 97 years old, and comes of a long-lived family, her grandfather living to the age of 110 and her father to 101. Her husband, Daniel Hawthorne, who she married while yet in New England, was related to the immortal Nathaniel Hawthorne and seemed to be of a migratory turn, as during the years following their marriage and preceding his death, which occurred at Los Angeles, Cal., they lived in many states of the Union, and the history of their wanderings is of more than usual interest.
The News joins in sympathy with the many other friends of the family in their loss.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - January 31, 1908

Lona Helm  Added 07/10/10
Death of Lona Helm
The Wenatchee World announces the death of a former Okanogan girl as follows: "Lona Helm, aged 19, daughter of Alonzo Helm of Palisades, died yesterday in this city after a lingering illness of tuberculosis. She is survived by her father, one brother, John, and a sister, Miss Alice, of Palisades, also two brothers, Fred and George, living in Wenatchee, and one brother, Amos, now at Camp Grant, Illinois, as well as a sister, Mrs. W. T. Cannon of Wenatchee, and another, Mrs. Roy Allen, Ripario, Wash. The body is with Hall & Templeton and funeral announcement will be made later."
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - February 17, 1920

A. N. Henderson  Added 08/17/07
Rev. Henderson Dead.
Rev. A. N. Henderson, of Libby creek, after a short illness, died at his home Wednesday evening at 11 o'clock. Mr. Henderson has not been in good health for many years, suffering from a stomach trouble, which culminated in his death Wednesday evening. He was about 60 years of age.
Rev. Henderson was a minister of the gospel until some years ago, when he had to give up the work on account of his health. He was also a mason. The family has been living on their ranch on Libby creek for many years. Deceased is survived by his wife, two sons and three daughters, being Marvin Henderson, living in Illinois, and James Laura, Bessie and Bernice, whose home is still under the parental roof. Mr. Henderson was highly esteemed by all who knew him, and his death will be mourned by a large circle of friends, who extend their sympathy to the bereaved family.
Funeral will be held at 11 o'clock Sunday morning, from Carlton and interment will be made in the Beaver creek cemetery.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - January 5, 1912

Ida May Herrick  Added 06/06/07
Death Of Mrs. Herrick.
Friends of the S. M. Herrick family of Conconully were saddened yesterday morning to hear of the death on Sunday night of Mrs. Herrick, which occurred about 12 o'clock. Since the birth of a still-born child about two weeks ago Mrs. Herrick had been very low, but up till 6 o'clock on the night of her death those closest to her held hopes of recovery. From that time on her condition grew constantly worse, until midnight, when death ended her suffering.
Ida May Malone was born thirty-nine years ago the 19th of last month in Yamhill county, Oregon, and came to Conconully with her parents in 1886. She was the first girl resident of that place, which was then a flourishing mining camp. Deceased married S. M. Herrick in 1897. Four children were born to them, two of whom survive--Richard aged 16, and Helen aged 6. Her surviving relatives besides her husband are her father Richard Malone, and a brother James Malone, both of Riverside. The funeral will be held this afternoon (Tuesday) a 1 o'clock at the Methodist church in Conconully.
The death of Mrs. Herrick casts a pall of gloom over the community in which she has lived so long, and expressions of sorrow are heard from the many former Conconully people of this city who knew her so well as a splendid mother and home-maker and a kind friend and neighbor. Her bereaved relatives have the sincerest sympathy of all their acquaintances.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - May 25, 1915

Ray Hershberger  Added 04/05/08
Died In The South
Some weeks ago Clay and Clint Hershberger left Oroville with their brother, Ray Hershberger, for Arizona. The young man had been a sufferer for a long time from tuberculosis and had been slowly fading away. At the time of departure young Hershberger was in a critical condition, and had been treated at St. Joseph's hospital for some time. As his strength was steadily falling it was hoped that a change to a dryer and warmer climate might work a beneficial effect, and prolong his life even if it did not effect a permanent cure. But the insidious disease had too firm a hold, and the unfortunate young man died before reaching his destination. Death occurred February 9. Clay Hershberger returned home Monday bringing the sad news. He did not write as he started north immediately after the death of his brother, but was delayed by washouts on the roads. Clint Hershberger went to his old home in West Virginia to make a visit before returning to Okanogan county.
While not unexpected the death of Ray Hershberger was sad news to his relatives and many friends. He was a young man of sterling character and bright prospects. Up to the time he contracted the disease that finally proved fatal he was a strong, robust man. He was highly respected and a great favorite among all who knew him. The sympathy of the community is extended to the relatives who spared no expense nor attention in their effort to find relief for the stricken young man. In the south, where he finally passed away and was buried, the doctors called to treat him in his last hours stated that the immediate cause of death was kindney disease.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - February 25, 1916

William Hess  Added 01/05/07
Native Son Dies on the Battle Fields of France
William Hess, a native son of Okanogan county, has given his life fighting against the Hun, according to a telegram received this week by relatives. The message was from the War Department and briefly stated that the boy had died from wounds in September.
The young patriot was a son of E. E. Hess, a Johnson Creek pioneer, and had been in the army about a year.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - November 2, 1918

Leslie Hill  Added 6/08/06
Death Of Leslie Hill
Friday morning, April 21, Mr. Leslie Hill died at his home on Osoyoos lake after a very brief illness from acute Bright's disease. The funeral and interment took place at Penticton Saturday afternoon.
Mr. Hill was aged 63 years. He was born in England, but lived in British Columbia for many years. He leaves three daughters, Miss Margery and Miss Leslie Hill, and Mrs. C. Fernau, who were present at his bedside during his last illness. The decased has for a number of years owned a large farm and orchard on Osoyoos lake, just across the international boundary line. This property is highly improved, and is one of the most attractive country homes in southern British Columbia. Mr. Hill was a charming, intellectual gentleman, a fine specimen of an English country squire. Physically, he was a robust specimen of manhood, to all appearances good for many years of life. He was well known to this community, and the news of his sudden death came as a shock to his numerous acquaintances.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - April 28, 1916

Geroge L. Hoffer  Added 08/17/07
Geo. L. Hoffer
Geo. L. Hoffer, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Hoffer, passed away at the home of his parents a few miles east of Marcus, Monday, March 27, at 11 a. m., after a few days illness of pneumonia. The seriousness of the malady was not realized until about an hour before his death which occurred while he was sitting up in a chair.
Funeral services were held in the Baptist church at Bossburg, Wednesday, at one o'clock, and interment made at Myers Falls. R. A. Libby, Adventist minister of Colville, a former resident of the Methow valley, preached the funeral service.
The deceased leaves a bride of four months, his parents, and several brothers and sisters, one sister, Mrs. Geo. Burnside, being a resident of Carlton.
The family has the deepest sympathy of friends in this valley, as Mr. Hoffer had many acquaintances here, having been a resident of the Carlton section about five years ago.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - April 7, 1916

Henry Hofmeier  Added 02/09/07
The Last Sad Rites.
The funeral of the late Henry Hofmeier was held Saturday afternoon from the chapel of the Barnes undertaking parlors, Rev. A. W. Bond officiating, under charge of the Oroville Fire Department, the deceased having been a member of the chemical engine company. There was a large attendance at the services and a long procession of automobiles followed the remains to Odd Fellows cemetery.
Henry Hofmeier was 59 years of age and a native of Germany, coming to this country when quite a young man. He has lived on the coast a number of years, locating in Oroville some three or four years ago. Her was a quiet, law-abiding, industrious citizen, inoffensive and peaceable in his relations with his fellowmen. During the past year he was the janitor of the high school, and won the esteem and respect of both teachers and pupils by his uniform kindness, courtesy and thoughtfulness. He was gentle and sympathetic with the school children, lending them aid and assistance whenever opportunity or occasion presented, and always ready and willing to carry out any request made by the teachers. In his family he was a loving and devoted husband and father.
In his earlier life the deceased was an active man, taking much interest in civic affairs. He worked for years in the railroad shops at Eugene, Oregon. He was an active and valuable member of the Eugene fire department. He served a long term in the National guards of Oregon and was quartermaster seargent of his regiment. He was honorably discharged when he left that state. He has been a member of the Order of Eagles, but permitted his membership to lapse. A worthy and excellent citizen was Henry Hofmeier, and his untimely and tragic death is deplored by all who knew him.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - June 9, 1916

Elmer Holcomb  Added 04/30/07
Elmer Holcomb Dead.
Elmer Holcomb, a well known stock man of the Okanogan valley, died Friday night last at the Okanogan General Hospital in this city, of appoplexy. He was stricken Thursday morning at the home of "Dry Creek" Jack Patterson, eight miles east of here on the reservation, and was unconscious from 10 o'clock that morning until death. Dr. Mintzer was called and the patient was brought to the hospital in this city. The funeral was conducted Monday at the parlors of the Okanogan Valley Undertaking Association, Rev. Fred J. Hart having charge of the services. Interment was made in the Okanogan cemetery.
Deceased was born in Oregon City, Oregon, December 13, 1863, and was 48 years and six months old at the time of his death. He came to this valley in 1887 and has been a resident hereabouts since, having accumulated considerable property. He was unmarried but has a brother, Samual, who resids at Wenatchee and a sister, Mrs. Nellie Johnson, of Oregon City. Mrs. and Mrs. Samual Holcomb and son Jay of Wenatchee, were the only relatives present at the funeral.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - July 5, 1912

Louisa Belle Holmes  Added 7/14/06
Death of Mrs. J. H. Holmes
Louisa Belle Holmes died at the Oroville hospital, Saturday afternoon, after an illness of some three weeks, and was buried in Odd Fellows cemetery the following afternoon. Mrs. Holmes was taken ill at the home and her ailment at the time was pronounced to be appendicitis, and an operation advised. The family was opposed to a resort to the knife, and the patient was taken to the hospital in order to be immediately under the eye of the doctor and to receive the attention of trained nurses. The disease failed to respond to treatment, and the patient gradually grew worse. As a last resort in hopes of saving her life an operation was at last consented to. The operation was performed last Friday morning. The appendix was found to be ruptured and there was a large accumulation of pus. The unfortunate woman lingered until 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon, when death came to her relief. The death certificate gives as the cause of death peritonitis.
Mrs. Holmes was a daughter of John and Kate Beall, and was born near Loomis May 31, 1888, and hence was aged 26 years, 1 month and 11 days. The father preceded her in death several years. Her mother, Mrs. Henry Staples, is still living. The deceased spent her entire life in this county, and was widely known, being a grand child of Geo. Runnels, the oldest living resident of the northwest. She was married to Jas. H. Holmes in February, 1909, and since that time has lived in Oroville. Two children were born to this union. She leaves a husband, two children and a large number of relatives and friends to mourn her untimely death.
The funeral took place from the Methodist church Sunday afternoon, Rev. David Brown, of Omak, in the absence of local ministers, officiating. The casket was buried under a wreath of beautiful flowers, and a large procession followed the remains to their last resting place in Odd Fellows cemetery.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - July 17, 1914

William E. Hooper  Added 07/10/10
Death of Wm. E. Hooper
William E. Hooper of Brown Lake died Sunday morning at the home of C. E. Folmsbee in this city. The funeral will be held at the Yarwood undertaking parlors at 3 p.m. Wednesday, and the remains will be shipped to Grass Valley, Cal., to buried beside those of his wife who died several years ago.
Deceased was born in Cornwall, Indiana, in 1847. He came west to Grass Valley, Cal., forty-five years ago and engaged in mining. He married Miss Maud Bennalick, and to them were born five children--Fred, Clifford and Camille Bennett of California, and Mrs. Lillian Cook of Snohomish, and Harold Hooper of Brown Lake. Mrs. Cook was with him at his death. Mr. Hooper was a member of the Methodist church and a gentlemen very highly respected by all who knew him.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - June 1, 1920

Maude V. Hoose  Added 11/15/06
Death Of Mrs. E. R. Hoose
Mrs. E. R. Hoose passed away at the Oroville General hospital Wednesday afternoon after a lingering illness. The immediate cause of death was tuberculosis resultant from a complication of ailments. The death of the lady was not unexpected. She has been seriously sick for weeks, and for the past fortnight the end was only a question of days and hours. The deceased has been a resident in Oroville for the past eleven years, and as a member of Neighbors of Woodcraft and Rebekahs she had a wide acquaintance and a very large circle of friends. She was a devoted wife and mother, a kind and pleasant neighbor and her untimely death, cut down as she was in the very flower of life, is deeply deplored by the community.
Maude Vesta Rayburn was born at Waitsburg, Wash., in 1893, and hence was 27 years of age. She was married to E. R. Hoose in December 1909, and to that union three children were born. Edward Robert, aged 8 years, Mildred May 5 years, and Helen Clara 3 years. Besides a husband and three children the deceased leaves a father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. S. Rayburn, and two sisters and two brothers to mourn her loss.
The funeral will take place from the Methodist church Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. R. R. Martin officiating. It is expected that there will be a large attendance of member of Neighbors of Woodcraft and Rebekahs, of which the deceased was a member, and of Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias, with which lodge Mr. Hoose is affiliated. Stores generally, so it is understood, will be closed during the funeral.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - April 9, 1920

George Hopkins
George Hopkins was born at Gallipolis, Ohio, August 17, 1871 and departed this life December 21, 1921, being 50 years, 4 months and 14 days of age.
He was united in marriage November 17, 1896, to Cora Mary Pratt, of Topeka, Kansas. To this union was born six children, one of whom preceeded him to the spirit world in infancy. The surviving children are Mrs. Stanley Smith, of Seattle; Mrs. Ed Workosky, of Tonasket; Myron, 14; Iris, 8 and Beth 4 years of age. He also left an aged father besides the widow and five grandchildren to mourn their loss.
Mr. Hopkins was taken ill about four months ago, the doctors not seeming to know what his trouble was. On reaching Seattle, the best medical aid was sought but it was too late, examiniations and x-ray pictures were taken but were of no avail in determining the cause of his sickness. After his passing away, a postmortem was held and it was found that it was an abcessed liver brot on by a bad case of gall stones when he was first taken sick, but he did not have the strength to undergo an operation.
Funeral services were held at the Home Chapel, the members of Arkana Lodge, of Seattle, having charge after the minister.
George was a member of the Masonic lodge at Okanogan and the I.O.O.F. and M.W.A. at Omak. There were many beautiful flowers. Interment was made in the Mausoleum at Washelli Cemetery, Seattle.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - January 6, 1922

Frank Horrigan  Added 6/16/06
Frank, the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. M. Horrigan, living a few miles west of Oroville, near Wehesville, died in this city Monday morning at 5 o'clock, after a brief illness. Young Horrigan had been ailing for several days, but was able to be up and around, and the family had no idea that his condition was serious. Becoming worst the young man was brought down to Oroville for medical treatment Saturday. At that time the attending physician gave little hopes for his recovery. The cause of death was a malady in the nature of typhoid fever. The deceased was 16 years and 6 months old, and grew up from infancy on his parents homestead. He was a bright youth, of excellent character and habits. His untimely death is a sad, sad blow to the family, and they have the heartfelt sympathy of a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
The funeral took place Wednesday afternoon from the Catholic church, and was one of the largest attended funerals ever held in Oroville.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - August 19, 1910
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

J. O. Housekeeper   Added 4/24/06
J. O. Housekeeper
Mr. J. O. Housekeeper, father of Mrs. C. M. Jones, died at her home at 10:30 p.m. Sunday, December 31st. Mr. Housekeeper had been a sufferer for several years with cerebral hemorrhage with resulting paralysis, and for several months past was completely helpless. He was 57 years old. Mrs. Jones accompanied the body to Shelby, Ohio, for interment; Mr. Jones went with her as far as Spokane. Undertaker Thomas prepared the body for its long journey to its final resting place at the old home. The sympathy of the entire community goes with Mrs. Jones on her long sad trip.
The Methow Valley Journal - Winthrop, Washington - January 4, 1917

Mrs. Dewey Hubbard  Added 02/09/07
Frightful Accident.
Mrs. Dewey Hubbard, of Conconully, Drowned in an Auto Acident Near Okanogan.
Monday afternoon, Dewey Hubbard, of Conconully, ex-county auditor and one of the best known residents of the county, drove down to Okanogan in his car from Conconully for the purpose of meeting Miss Norma Dillabough, expected to arrive on the Oroville-Wenatchee train that evening on the way to her home at Conconully. Shortly before 9 o'clock, during the rain storm then prevailing, Mr. Hubbard started from Okanogan with six persons in his car. They were Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard, Mrs. J. C. Dillabough who had gone out to meet her daughter Miss Norma Dillabough and two men who had arrived on the train on their way to Conconully. Some two miles out from Okanogan the road passes over a bridge across Salmon creek. The stream is very high and the water had washed the bridge out since Mr. Hubbard had passed over the road that day. Probably owing to the storm Mr. Hubbard did not notice that the bridge was washed out until too late, and the car with all its human freight plunged into the flood.
Mrs. Hubbard was pinned under the car, and her heartrending appeals for help could be heard for some time. The current was so swift that no one could work in it, darkness added to the horror of the scene, and as the car could not be moved those present were helpless to render assistance. After help arrived a rope was placed around the body of Mrs. Hubbard and the car lifted, but the strong current snapped the rope and the body disappeared. Miss Dillabough had one wrist dislocated and the other arm broken. Wm. Pooler, one of the passengers, had an arm broken. Others of the party were bruised and severely shaken up, but sustained no serious injuries.
Mrs. Hubbard was well known throughout the northern part of the county, and had a large number of warm friends, who are shocked beyond expression by her tragic and untimely death. She was a sister of Jas. Silverthorn, who has been connected with the engineering department of the irrigation district with J. C. Stevens since construction commenced on the project. The news of the accident reached Oroville early Tuesday morning, creating a profound sensation, as Mr. Hubbard has many friends here who extend to him sincere sympathy in this hour of his terrible afflication.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - June 30, 1916

George J. Hurley  Added 11/30/06
George J. Hurley Has Been Called To His Reward
The death of George J. Hurley occurred at his home in Loomis Tuesday morning, February 15th, at 9 o'clock. Mr. Hurley had been in failing health for a year or more past and during the last few months had been bedfast, and the end was not unexpected.
The funeral was held Thursday at Loomis and was attended by a large gathering of friends, many old timers coming from distant parts of the county to pay last respects to their pioneer friend.
Mr. Hurley was a pioneer of the Okanogan country without whose name no accurate history of this county could be written. He was one of the first white settlers here and took a most important part in the early struggles of the pioneers to subdue the wilderness and make it habitable for those who came later. He held many position of trust in the county and took a most important part in the early political activities of the state and of this section in particular.
For the past ten years Mr. Hurley has been a member of the county game commission and has devoted much time and energy to the propagation and protection of fish and game.
The members of his immediate family surviving are his wife and son, Clarence Webb Hurley.
In the History of North Washington published in 1904 by a historical publishing company, the following biographical sketch of Mr. Hurley is found, which will be read with interest:
"George J. Hurley needs no introduction to the people of northern Washington. He is at the present time state senator of Okanogan, Ferry and Douglas counties. He was elected to this office in 1902, his name appearing on the republican ticket. During the session of the legislature just past, he was instrumental in putting through a bill arranging the proper valuation of mines, and also introduced some excellent legislation on highways. He framed and introduced the libel bill, which was vetoed by the governor. Mr. Hurley also brought forward an excellent bill relative to handling sheep in the state, which was not made a law. He is a very active state senator and is looked upon by his colleagues as a man of energy, talent and erudition.
"George J. Hurley was born in Oregon City, Oregon, September 18, 1859, being the son of Richard and Mary (McCarver) Hurley. The mother's father, who was an early pioneer to the Pacific Coast, laid out the town of Tacoma. The father of our subject came to Oregon in 1857, having left New York City in 1845. The intervening time was spent in Mexico. Oregon City was the family home until 1863, when they moved to Idaho, and ten years later came back to Oregon, and are now residing in Portland.
"In 1894 Mr. Hurley was in British Columbia, then went south for two years, later returning to British Columbia in 1897, and in 1898 he came to where Republic now stands. For one year he was manager of the Republic Trading Company, and has since engaged in other business.
"Mr. Hurley is a staunch republican and always takes a great interest in the affairs of his party. In 1883 he was elected city clerk of Ainsworth, was twice county commissioner of Okanogan county, was mayor of Ruby five times, and city clerk of Republic for three terms. In all his public life Mr. Hurley has shown marked uprightness and integrity.
"In 1889 Mr. Hurley married Miss Ella Cook, and to them one child has been born, Clarence Webb. Mr. Cook was killed by the Indians in Montana in 1867. He was the father of seven children.
"Fraternally Mr. Hurley is affiliated with the I. O. O. F., Masonic, Eagles and other lodges. His wife is a member of the Rebekahs. Their son Clarence Webb was the page for the president of the senate during the last term of legislature, and the youngest on the floor."
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - February 19, 1921

Henry R. Hudson  Added 08/17/07
Meets Instant Death.
Henry R. Hudson, one of the proprietors of the Gold Creek sawmill, met instant death Tuesday afternoon, when a load of sawlogs fell upon him, crushing his body, and breaking his neck.
With his nephews, Mr. Hudson had been in the woods scaling a bunch of sawlogs. Returning to the mill, the usual load of logs were being hauled, his nephew, Harry Hudson, driving, and Mr. Hudson riding on the load. On one of the grades, where it was pretty sidling, the sleigh tipped over, and the unfortunate man, when attempting to jump, found himself so entangled in the break ropes that he could not free himself. Two men, Messrs. Smith of Methow, were walking behind the load, and two other men were within hailing distance. The unfortunate victim was extricated as quickly as possible and the body taken to his home. Word was sent by telephone to Messrs. Minor Pate and J. A. Miller, who arrived at once.
Henry Robert Hudson was a native of Vermont, in which state he was born in 1855, being 57 years of age at the time of his death. He has been a resident of the Methow valley for the past several years, and for the past three years has been engaged in the sawmill business on Gold creek with his nephews.
Deceased is survived by his brother, Richard Hudson, two nephews, Harry and Fred Hudson, and a niece, Mrs. Blanche Shaw, all of whom reside in the neighborhoold. His many friends throughout the valley extend sympathy to the bereaved relatives.
The funeral was held yesterday afternoon from Methow, interment being made in the Methow cemetery, Rev. Michels, of Brewster, conducting the services.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - February 14, 1913

Bertram B. Hussey
News of Sudden Death of Bertram B. Hussey Shocks Okanogan Friends
Word that Bertram B. Hussey had fallen a victim to influenza and died at his home, at Laurel, near Bellingham, Thanksgiving morning, came as a shock to friends in this city. The young man, with Mrs. Hussey and child, left here November 6th, after spending several months on their reservation homestead, and either contracted the disease on the trip to the coast or shortly after arrival there.
Friends recall that every precaution was taken to guard against the disease, and with the thought that there was less chance of contagion on their ranch at Laurel than in the city, they planned on making only a brief stop at Bellingham.
During their residence in this community the Husseys made many sincere friends and were popular among all who knew them. The death of Bertram Hussey is felt as the loss of a fellow townsman.
The young man was the son of Ernest B. Hussey of Seattle and son-in-law of Dr. W. H. Axtell, a prominent physician of Bellingham, now an officer in the United States army medical corps, and Mrs. Francis Axtell, a member of the national industrial commission.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - December 3, 1918


©2006-2010. Judi's Genealogy. All rights reserved.