Obituaries J

Okanogan County, Washington

Surnames J

JACOT, Anna E.
JENKINS, Marcellus E.
JENSEN, Marinus
JOHNSON, Christian
JOHNSTON, Charles E.
JONES, Clara M.
JONES, Henry "Tom"
JONES, Martha
JULIAN, Clifford I.
JUNKIN, Hannah

Anna E. Jacot  Added 05/23/07
Mrs. Anna E. Jacot
The Independent has received word of the death, on March 18th of Mrs. Anna E. Jacot, at Finley, Wash. Mrs. Jacot formerly lived in Okanogan with her daughter and two sons and is well known to all the residents of this place who lived here previous to her departure for Finley about four years ago. Deceased was born in Switzerland in 1840, and was nearly 75 years of age at her death. She came to the United States in 1889. She leaves two sons and a daughter at Finley.
Mrs. Jacot had been well and active up to within three days of her death, which was caused by acute indigestion. She is remembered very kindly by the people of this community, whose sympathy goes out to her bereaved relatives. She was a member of the Church of Christ.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - March 30, 1915

Marcellus E. Jenkins   Added 4/24/06
M. E. Jenkins Dead
Marcellus E. Jenkins, who for a number of years resided on a ranch in the Bear Creek settlement, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. D. E. Carpenter, in Spokane, June 20th of old age. He was born in Wyoming County, N. Y., March 9th, 1837. Mr. Jenkins is well known to the older residents of the Upper Methow and his friends will be grieved to hear of his deminse. He was for over 60 years a member of the Masonic Order, and retained his membership in Iowa, his former home.
The Methow Valley Journal - Winthrop, Washington - July 5, 1917

Marinus Jensen  Added 07/10/10
Deaths and Funerals
Marinus Jensen, a homesteader who lived south of here on the reservation, was found dead in his backyard Thursday, having died of heart failure. The funeral was held Friday afternoon at the Yarwood undertaking parlors, conducted by Rev. Herman R. Page. Interment was made in the Okanogan cemetery.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - May 29, 1920

Christian Johnson  Added 10/17/07
Christian Johnson was born in Norway, April 15, 1832. At the age of 21 he left Norway, going to Eaugalle, Chippewa County, Wis., remaining there until 1855, when he got the gold fever, and took a sailing vessel from New York to California, there being no transcontinental railroad at that time. He remained in California five years, then went to Europe traveling for five years, thereby receiving an education he was deprived of as a boy. He again visited his old home in Norway, and for the last time departing for America, bringing with him Helena Christenson. They were married in Wisconsin, taking up residence for a short time in Eaugalle, and then moved to Pierce County, Wis., and took up a homestead, residing there until the year 1902. Here five children were born, Mrs. Ed LaBarge, of East Grant Forks, Minn., Wm. Johnson, Winthrop, Wash., Mrs. N. G. Williams, Carl A. Johnson, and Ida Johnson, of Twisp, Wash. In 1902 they came to the Methow making their home at Winthrop on a farm for five years, when they retired and moved to Twisp residing there until his death which occurred January 5, 1913, age 80 years, 8 months and 20 days.
The funeral was held Monday afternoon, January 6, at 2 o'clock, from the Church of Christ, Rev. Taylor, of the M. E. church, conducting to obsequies, interment being made in the Beaver creek cemetery, directed by Undertaker, E. M. Thomas
The large church was well filled with friends, who extend their sincere sympathy to the bereaved family.
Peace to his memory and the longer life of happiness in the Home Eternal.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - January 10, 1913

Elene Johnson  Added 07/18/09
Elene Johnson Dies
There was genuine sorrow Monday afternoon when the word was passed from one to another that little Elene Johnson, of Pateros, who had been visiting here and at Winthrop, was dead. Death came almost without warning. Little Elene was brought to the Twisp hotel Saturday to be placed in the doctor's care, having a severe case of pneumonia and other complications. Everything possible was done for her comfort and to save her life, but to no avail, and Monday afternoon, August 24, at 4 o'clock the death angel claimed its reward.
Elene was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Johnson, of Pateros, and would have been ten years old in seven more days. She was born in Twisp, within a block of where she died. The profound sympathy of the entire community goes out to the bereaved parents.
The body was prepared and removed to Pateros Tuesday by Undertaker Thomas, where the funeral was held that afternoon.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - August 28, 1914

Helen Johnson  Added 10/17/07
Helen Waller Johnson
Helen Waller was born in Christiana, Norway, Nov. 1, 1844. Died February 20, 1915, age 71 years, 3 months and 20 days. She came to America at the age of 22 years, and was married a year later to Christian Johnson, whom she had known in Norway, and resided in Spring valley, Wisconsin 35 years.
To this union were born five children, four of whom survive the deceased. Mrs. Ed. LeBarge of East Grand Forks, Minn., Wm. and Carl A. Johnson, and Mrs. L. E. Sherter, of Twisp.
The deceased and family came to the Methow valley in 1903 where she lived until her death, Mr. Johnson passing away only the year previous.
The funeral services were held from the Church of Christ, Monday, February 22, 1915, at 10 a.m., Prof. R. W. Dow conducting the services. Interment was made in the Beaver creek cemetery, with Undertaker Irvin Thomas in charge.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - February 26, 1915

Henry H. Johnson  Added 07/18/09
Died at Winthrop, at 9 o'clock Sunday evening, October 2, 1904, Henry H. Johnson, aged 95 years, after an illness lasting only a few hours.
H. H. Johnson was born in Cass county, Michigan, in 1859, where he lived with his parents until he was grown into manhood. At the age of 23 years he married Miss Caroline Wehmeyer, and two years after they moved to Kansas, where they resided until 1892 when they came to Washington and settled on the ranch where the family now resides. To the union two children were born, Mrs. Hazard Ballard, Roma E. Johnson, both grown to maturity. His death was peaceful, and without suffering, and his family were all present at his death bed.
The life of the late Mr. Johnson was one well for our young men to pattern after. To be his acquaintance was to be a friend, and those who held the friendship of "Hank" Johnson, as he was familiarly known, held the friendship of a man who was true as steel, big hearted as ever man was, and whose word was always good. He was held in the high estimation of his fellow man, and he has proved an ideal neighbor, an affectionate husband and a generous and watchful parent, as is shown in the estimable character of his two children. In the death of Mr. Johnson no word of man can atone the loss, and time alone can mitigate the sorrow that has been occasioned by the grim reaper. His death has cast a gloom over the entire community, and many sorrowing hearts extend sympathy to the bereaved family and relatives.
The funeral was held from the Winthrop school house Tuesday afternoon at 1:30, to which a large number of friends who had heard of the sudden death had gathered to perform the last sad rites. Amos Stokes, E. R. Davis, Ferd Haase, D. H. McLachlan, Mott Bryan and Chas. McClurken, the nearest neighbors of the deceased, acted as pallbearers. The ceremony at the school house being over, the funeral cortege moved on to the cemetery where the services were in charge of the Knights of Pythias of which the deceased was an honored member. The ceremony was an impressive one, intermingled with sacred music by a male quartet composed of F. Howard, W. C. Reed, B. Stone and Thos. Wills.
Though his death was known to but a part of the people of the valley, the attendance at the funeral is said to be the largest of any ever held in the Methow, attesting the esteem in which the deceased was held.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - October 7, 1904

Lloyd Johnson  Added 04/05/08
Death of Infant
Died, Friday, January 8, Lloyd Edward Johnson, aged 5 weeks and 4 days, after an illness of three weeks. The remains were laid to rest Saturday in the Molson Cemetery.
The parents have the sympathy of the entire community.
The Molson Leader - Molson, Washington - January 15, 1915

Marion Johnson  Added 07/10/10
Little Marion Johnson Dies From Bite Of Snake
The sad death of little six-year old Marion Johnson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Johnson, occurred early Saturday morning, resulting from the bite of a rattle snake.
The little girl was bitten on the left foot about 9 o'clock Friday evening just as she stepped off the back porch of her father's home two miles west of town. Believing that she had snagged her foot on a sharp stick the parents did not think seriously of the would at first, but after a while the little girl became so ill that they brought her to town and consulted Dr. Dewey. Every effort to save her life was put forth but at about 4 o'clock in the morning death came to end the sufferings of the little one.
Fortunately, the snake was found the following morning, and killed. It was coiled near the back porch step of the Johnson residence and apparently hadn't moved since striking the fatal blow the night before. Strange as it may seem, other members of the family had been over the same ground several times the night before, after the little girl had been stricken, but the reptile offered no offense to others.
Funeral services were held Sunday evening at the Yarwood undertaking chapel and Monday morning the remains were taken to Cashmere to be buried.
Mr. and Mrs. Johnson came here last spring from Cashmere where they had resided for a number of years. In partnership with his brother-in-law, B. A. Thayer, Mr. Johnson purchased the Victor Ruffenach place and has been living on it since. The sympathy of the entire community goes out to Mr. and Mrs. Johnson in their bereavement.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - August 10, 1920

Charles E. Johnston  Added 10/31/06
Fatal Accident.
Chas. E. Johnston, pioneer livery man of Oroville, and an all around good fellow, met with a very painful and serious accident last Thursday evening that resulted in his death the following Tuesday. Mr. Johnston was in the hay loft of his livery stable on the south side of the track, about six o'clock in the evening, throwing down hay to the stock. He was pulling the hay out of the mass with his hands near the open door of the hay mow, when a handfull coming out suddenly while Mrs. Johnston was pulling hard, caused him to lose his balance and fall backward out of the door to the ground beneath, a distance of some 20 feet. The injured man was at once taken to the hospital and Dr. Efner summoned. Upon examination it was found that the sternum, or breast bone was badly fractured and the right shoulder dislocated. For the first few days after the accident, although the patient suffered greatly, Mr. Johnston's condition was not considered dangerous, and his physician felt satisfied that he would recover. However, unforseen complications set in which proved fatal, death ensuing about 3 o'clock Tuesday afternoon.
The deceased was born in Minnesota some 58 years ago, and came to Oroville with the advent of the railroad in 1895. He opened a livery stable and followed that business up to the time of his injury. Charlie Johnston was a popular citizen among all the classes, and in business relations with his fellow men upright and honorable. He was liberal and generous to a fault, with a genial personality that made him a host of friends. His death is deplored and regretted by all woh knew him, and he will be sadly missed and long remembered by the people of Oroville with whom he has associated for so many years. The funeral took place Thursday afternoon and there was a large attendance at the service. He leaves a wife, but has no other relatives on the coast.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - December 24, 1915

Clara Jones  Added 04/30/07
Clara Meyers Jones.
Mrs. Clara Meyers Jones, wife of George E. Jones of the Pine Grove district, died Monday, June 16th, at 4 o'clock a.m., after an illness of several weeks with typhoid fever. The funeral was held at 11 o'clock Wednesday morning at the McCampbell undertaking parlors, Rev. Fred J. Hart conducting the service. Interment was made in the local cemetery.
Deceased was 24 years and two months old at the time of her death and had been married but 13 months. April 1st of this year she came to Pine Grove with her husband, from their former home in the Puget Sound country, joining here her mother, Mrs. Conrad Meyers, and her brother, Louis Meyers.
During her short residence in the Pine Grove community Mrs. Jones had made many friends whose sincere sympathy is extended the bereaved relatives in their sorrow. The high esteem in which the young woman was held by her neighbors was exemplified by the large number of sympathizing friends who followed the casket to the grave.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - June 20, 1913

Henry T. Jones  Added 02/09/07
Death Of Tom Jones.
We see by the Okanogan Independent that Tom Jones, of Riverside, a pioneer resident of Okanogan county, died on the 26th of October, after a lingering illness. Tom Jones was one of the Jones family that lived for so many years on Salmon creek a few miles below the old mining camp of Ruby, a haven of rest to many of the old timers who have traveled by stage over the road from Conconully to Brewster. Mr. Jones had lived in the county for 32 years, and had a very wide circle of acquaintances among all classes. A most genial and likeable gentlemen was Tom Jones, and his death is deplored by all who had the privilege of his acquaintance. The Independent has the following notice of his death:
"The passing of Tom Jones on Tuesday morning, October 26th, came as a shock to his many friends, though not as a surprise. Since his resignation of the postmastership of Riverside some three years ago, which position he had held for several years, he made a game fight to live for those whom he has now left. A year spent in Arizona and Colorado failed to bring hoped for relief to him. Always cheerful and never complaining of his cross the end came early Tuesday morning but a short time after a hearty breakfast, his mother, Mrs. Sarah A. Jones, and his wife were at his side when the end came.
"Following the death of his father in 1891 Tom was forced early in life to assume the responsibility with his mother, of a large family and nobly and well did he devote his efforts in this way.
"Services were held in Riverside on Wednesday afternoon at the church conducted by Rev. David Brown. Interement was made in Riverside cemetery by the side of his fourteen-year-old daughter, who passed away last spring. A large number of friends were present to pay tribute to his memory. The floral offerings were numerous and beautiful.
"Henry Thomas Jones was born in Roseville, California, August 3rd, 1870, and was the eldest son of Robert D. and Sarah A. Jones. Thirty-two years ago he came to Okanogan county with his parents and has since resided here. The early part of his life here was spent on the Jones farm on Salmon Creek, eight miles northwest of Okanogan.
"On November 24, 1904, he was married to Ida Blanch Perry. To them was born two children, one of whom, Oakley Preston, survives him
. "He is survived by his wife and stepdaughter, Mrs. Henry Chamberlain of Riverside.
"His mother, Mrs. S. A. Jones of Okanogan, three brothers--Frank and Forrest of Conconully, Robert D. of Okanogan, and four sisters--Mrs. C. H. Lovejoy of Okanogan, Miss Lenora Jones of Arizona and Miss Edna Jones of Okanogan are left of this pioneer family, which is one of the many ones who have paved the way for better conditions for others in this county.
"Tom was a member of the I. O. O. F., and Modern Woodmen lodges, carrying insurance in the latter order."
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - November 5, 1920

J. M. Jones  Added 07/25/09
Prominent Citizen Passes Away
J. M. Jones Dies at Spokane of Pneumonia - Pioneer of the Methow
The sad intelligence was received here Wednesday of the death of one of our pioneer citizens, J. M. Jones, who recently left here to attend the public land drawing in Idaho.
While on the ground looking over the land, our fellow citizen contracted a severe cold, and by the time he had reached Spokane he was threatened with pneumonia. As was published last week, J. L. Haskell also of this place, was in Spokane, and saw that his friend was comfortably situated at the hospital, where he was taken. Subsequent reports stated that the patient was convalescent, and it was expected that he would be home last week. The message of his death came as a great surprise to his friends here who had, instead, been looking for him on every stage.
Deceased has no relatives here, but friends telegraphed Spokane to hold the body and notify his brothers in Indiana. Mr. Haskell at whose house Mr. Jones usually stayed when in town, the two men being quite chums, by arrangement with friends, left for Spokane yesterday morning, and will take charge of the remains until relatives arrive from the east to take possession.
J. M. Jones held the high esteem of all the population of this valley that knew him, or of him. He was a favorite with all, and in the twelve years he has resided in this section he has made a large circle of friends who are deeply grieved to hear of his death. He was about fifty years of age.
Mr. Jones came here some twelve years ago from Skagit county. He has acquired considerable property here, and was well situated, financially. In his death this community loses one of its most upright and foremost citizens.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - June 19, 1908

Martha F. Jones  Added 07/10/10
Pioneer Woman Called By Death
At the advanced age of seventy years, Martha Francis Jones, one of the highly respected pioneer women of this section, died Sunday at her home on the Loop Loop. The funeral services are being held this afternoon, conducted by Rev. Owen J. Beadles of the Methodist church and interment will be made in the cemetery at this place.
Mrs. Jones was the wife of Newton C. Jones, an aged veteran of the Civil War, and they have lived for the past eighteen years on a homestead midway between the Okanogan and Methow valleys on the Loop Loop divide. They came here from Buckley, King county, where they had previously resided fourteen years since coming west from Illinois.
Deceased was born in Butler county, Missouri, and was married to Mr. Jones fifty-one years ago. Besides her husband, she is survived by two sons--C. E. Jones of Okanogan and A. O. Jones of Entiat. Her grandchildren are Newton Jones now living in Ohio, and Paul, now in Arkansas; Lee, Bernice and Drusie, living with their paretns, Mr. and Mrs. C. D. Jones on the Loop Loop.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - October 5, 1920

Clifford I. Julian  Added 9/30/06
Clifford I. Julian Meets Awful Death By Electrocution
Wednesday morning Clifford I. Julian, one of the pioneer apple growers of the government project area, met an awful death by electrocution while at work as lineman for the reclamation service.
Julian was tapping the line of the Okanogan Valley Power Company near one of the government power plants at Omak, when he came in contact with live wires in such a manner as to run the full 6600 volts of electricity through his body. He was working alone when the accident occurred and when found his body was entagled in the wires and terribly burned. The body was brought to the local undertaking parlors by Undertaker Yarwood and prepare for burial.
Julian was a successful apple grower and a man very highly esteemed by everyone who knew him. He is survived by a wife and four children, the eldest being a girl of seventeen. His mother and a brother also survive him and live on Pogue flat. The funeral will be held at the home Saturday morning at 10 o'clock.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - May 8, 1920

Hannah Junkin  Added 7/14/06
Mrs. Hannah Junkin Dies Sunday Night
Mrs. Hannah Junkin died at her home at 9 p. m. Sunday following a second attack of paralysis. Mrs. Junkin had been in poor health for some time, and suffered a second stroke of paralysis about September 27. The funeral will be held in the Baptist church at 2 p. m. Wednesday. The services will be conducted by Re. C. S. Treadwell. The body will be buried in the Okanogan cemetery.
The deceased was a true pioneer, born of pioneer parents. She came to this county in the early days, settling with her husband in the Olema country. She has been long and favorably known in this city where she has resided for some time.
The deceased was born in Lynn county, Oregon fourteen miles north of Salem on November 28, 1862. She spent most of her childhood there. Later, after moving to eastern Oregon, she was married to Thomas B. Junkin. Her maiden name was Hannah E. Hoskins.
Ten children, seven of whom are still living, were born to the couple. The deceased is survived by Clyde Junkin and Mrs. Blanch Key of Omak, Raymond Junkin, Myrtle Gordon and Pearl Rossborough of this city, Lloyd Junkin of Portland and Theresa Wick of Olema, besides sixteen grandchildren and an only brother who lives in Twin Falls, Idaho. The deceased was a member of the Baptist church of this city.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - October 31, 1922


©2006. Judi's Genealogy. All rights reserved.