Obituaries K
Search billions of records on

Okanogan County, Washington

Surnames K

KANE, James
KERAN, William E. Jr.
KNIBBS, Mary Ann
KNOX, Anna C.
KOHEN, William

Mrs. L. M. Kahlow  
Pioneer Woman Is Laid To Rest
The funeral of Mrs. L. M. Kahlow was conducted from St. John's Episcopal church Wednesday afternoon. Rev. Herman R. Page read the impressive funeral ceremony of the church, and the remains were laid to rest in the Okanogan cemetery.
The funeral was one of the largest in attendance of any that has been held in the city, many pioneer friends of deceased coming from various parts of the county and state. Bert Haney of Medford, Ore., a brother, at whose home Mrs. Kahlow died last week, was present, as was also her daughter, Mrs. Ione Mansini, of California. A nephew, J. A. Miller, of Spokane, was also among those in attendance from out of town.
The floral offerings were beautiful and very large in extent. Among the pieces was a immense harp bearing the inscription "Mother," from the daughters of deceased. There were handsome remembrances from Spokane, Medford, Wenatchee, California and other places from a distance, and many of the fraternal orders and church societies in Okanogan sent beautiful offerings. In fact, it was necessary to use an extra automobile to remove the flowers from the church to the grave, and the car was completely filled.
A more fitting tribute to the memory of Mrs. Kahlow could not be imagined than the splendid floral offerings made. Herself a lover of flowers, she always grew them in profusion at her pioneer home and was most liberal in donating them at all times, especially on occasions of sickness and death. The writer well remembers the first visit of Mrs. Kahlow to the Independent office, some fourteen years ago, when she presented the editor with a handsome bouquet from her garden, at that time about the only garden in the community.
Deceased was a member of the Episcopal church of this city and was active in the various church and civic organizations of the community whenever sickness did not interfere. Of late years she has suffered much from rheumatism and as a consequence was unable to get about to any extent, but her home was open to the various organizations, and among the most pleasant events in the history of the town were the annual lilac parties she gave for years in honor of her friends.
Mrs. Kahlow was public spirited and always ready to give of her property for the general good. The land on which the Episcopal church buildings are located was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Kahlow, as was also Alma Park, a valuable tract along the river. One of the stipulations made in the gift of the park was that at no time in the future should this land be used as a place where liquor might be sold.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - October 23, 1920

James Kane  
Kane Died In Action
Still another Gold Star must be added to Omak's large service flag. This time for James Kane, who was killed in action on October 16.
The local Odd Fellow lodge received this sad news from the father of "Jimmie", who resides in Dakota and he stated he had received the official War Office notice so the report is considered authentic.
Jimmie made lots of warm friends while a resident of this community and there was real sadness expressed that he would not be with our boys when they came marching home.
Jimmie used to do quite a bit of fussing because his name was at the tail end of the local draft list and he was always afraid he would never get a whack at the Huns.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - December 13, 1918

Martin Kattanek  
Martin Kattanek, Aged German, Commits Suicide
The community immediately north and west of town was thrown into a state of excitement Wednesday about noon when the news was circulated that Martin Kattanek, father of Mrs. William Franke, had committed suicide after threatening the life of his daughter and her young children.
Kattanek had acted strangely for some days previous to the tragedy and there is little doubt that his mind was deranged over some fancied trouble. About noon Wednesday he and his daughter and her children were home alone, Mr. Franke having come to town for the mail. Kattanek said something about wanting a drink, and Mrs. Franke told him to go into the kitchen after a cup with which to get the water. He went into the kitchen and returned with a rifle, which he brandished in a threatening manner. Mrs. Franke grabbed the children and fled to the Abrams home a short distance away. Shortly after her departure a rifle shot was heard. About that time Mr. Franke returned from town and found his father-in-law dead on the floor with a bullet hole in his breast.
Coroner R. F. McCampbell was summoned and hurried to the place. An investigation showed the case to be one of suicide without a doubt, so no inquest was held. The body was brought to town and prepared for burial by Mr. McCampbell. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon.
Deceased was 66 years of age and a native of Germany. He came here about nve years ago with the family of his son-in-law with whom he has made his home. He had little knowledge of the English language and for that reason was little acquainted in the community. The instrument with which he accomplished his own destruction was an old Springfield army rifle, 90 calibre. The muzzle of the gun had been pressed against his breast and the bullet passed through the heart, making death instantaneous.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - July 25, 1913

N. B. Kelsey  
Sudden Death
The people of this place were shocked Monday to learn of the sudden death the day before, at Rock Creek, B. C., of N. B. Kelsey, who left Oroville only a few days before in apparently perfect health, and, indeed, was to all appearances in perfect health up to the moment he was stricken down. He left this place for Rock Creek last Wednesday, where his son-in-law resides, to do extensive mining work on some placer claims. Sunday, about 5 o'clock in the afternoon, he got upon a wagon that was conveying freight to the railroad. While the driver was transferring the freight from the wagon to the car, crossing on a plank, Mr. Kelsey, standing at one of the rear wheels, said, "You had better be careful of you will fall off and break your neck." He had hardly uttered the words when he fell to the ground and expired.
The deceased was born in St. Lawrence county, New York, March 21, 1844. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, New York artillery, serving until September 17, 1862, when he was discharged by reason of disability. Soon after the war he came to the coast, locating in California, where he commenced working in the mines, and coming north settled at Centralia, in this state, some thirty years ago. His wife died in 1894, and in 1896 he came to Okanogan county, where he has since resided, following mining. He leaves a son, N. B. Kelsey, of this place, and a daughter, Mrs. T. R. Henson, of Rock Creek, one brother in Detroit, and another brother somewhere on Vancouver island. The funeral took place at Rock Creek Tuesday afternoon, and several friends went up from Oroville to attend the services.
Mr. Kelsey was wildely known throughout this upper country, and was universally popular among all classes. He was a genial, pleasant and hospitable gentleman, bearing his accumulated years easily, and was as light hearted and almost as active as a boy. In appearance, with his prominent features and and his long white beard he strikingly resembled the commonly accepted pictures of "Uncle Sam," and was so familiarly addressed by his friends. He had always enjoyed robust health, and had often been heard to say that when his end came it would come suddenly. A kind, generous, warm hearted westerner was "Sam" Kelsey, and his sudden taking off is regretted and deplored by a wide circle of warm and true friends, who will long cherish in memory his many and sturdy virtues.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - May 24, 1912

William E. Keran Jr.
BREWSTER - Brewster resident, William Edward Keran Jr., 75, died Sept. 20, 1994 in the Okanogan-Douglas County Hospital, Brewster.
He was born Dec. 15, 1918, in Bartlett, Iowa to William E. and Hazel E. (Baylar) Keran, Sr.
He married Betty Maxine Arment at Bartlett, Iowa on June 16, 1939.
He served in the U. S. Air Force for 5 years during World War II. They lived in Wyoming before coming to Washington in 1946. He worked for the railroad and later was employed for 28 years with the Okanogan County Road Department.
He was a member of the American Legion and the Assembly of God church.
Surviors include his wife, a son and a daughter, all of Brewster; six grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Abstraced from the original - Brewster Herald - Brewster, Washington - September 28, 1994

W. A. Kikendall  
W. A. Kikendall, of Rockview, died Tuesday afternoon in Twisp, where he had been brought for medical treatment. Mr. Kikendall had been ill for some time with chronic bladder trouble, and was brought down to the doctor's Tuesday afternoon, and taken to the home of Ben Milnor, former neighbors in Snohomish county. But nothing could be done to save his life, and a few hours after his arrival died.
Deceased was 38 years of age, and is survived by a widow and three sons. The family came here last year from Snohomish, and took up a homestead. Mr. Kikendall was secretary of the Rockview Grange, and has provided for his dependent ones with $1000 life insurance. He was held in highest esteem by those who knew him, and his death will be a loss to the community, which extends its sympathy to the sorrowing family.
Funeral was held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, from the M. T. hall, under direction of the Grange, Rev. Wilson of the Methodist church, conducting the services, burial being made in Winthrop cemetery, the Grange conducting the obsequies.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - January 12, 1912

Thomas C. Kirkpatrick  
Death Calls T. C. Kirkpatrick
The funeral of Thomas C. Kirkpatrick occurred at 10:30 o'clock Tuesday morning at the home of his son W. E. Kirkpatrick, at Epley postoffice. Rev. David Brown of the Omak Presbyterian church conducted the services. Interment was made in Okanogan cemetery by Armstrong & McCampbell, undertakers. The following obituary notice was kindly furnished The Independent by Rev. Mr. Brown:
On December 31, 1911, Mr. Kirkpatrick, father of Miss Laura B. Kirkpatrick and Mr. W. E. Kirkpatrick of Epley, Washington passed away. His sickness had been lingering and death came after a period of unconsciousness lasting almost three days.
Mr. Kirkpatrick was born in Illinois January 27, 1827. In this state his early years were spent and here he married. For a number of years he was engaged in the mercantile business and farming in Iowa. In 1884 he removed to Kansas, coming from Wichita, Kansas, in 1908. Himself a worthy pioneer in the development of his country, he came from truly pioneer stock. Of Scotch descent, from the Highlands they came. A grandfather and great-grandfather fought in the Revolutionary War. The love of freedom and of independence in generations before his day naturally led him into pioneer ways.
Early in life he connected himself with the communion of the Methodist church. His latter years were spent within the Congregational fold and he was a member of this church at the time of his death.
Two brothers, aged respectively 73 and 77, and one sister aged 85 survive his loss. Of his own family of five, four remain to mourn his departure--Mrs. Witherspoon of Willow Springs, Mo.; Mrs. Adams of Yellow Pine, Alabama; Miss Laura Kirkpatrick and W. E. Kirkpatrick of Epley. Another daughter, Mrs. Sprowl, also of Epley, died in July, 1910. His life was long, successful and happy and truly may it be said of him that he had not a known enemy in the world. Best of all, he went to his Maker trustfully as one who had waited long but joyfully answered the summons at last.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - January 5, 1912

Charles Klinkert  
Awful Tragedy, Domestic Row Ends Fatally - Superintendent of Fish Hatchery, Charles Klinkert Ends Life by Bullet From Revolver
Charles Klinkert, 31, superintendent of the state fish hatchery at this place, met instant death Sunday night, Dec. 6, at about 11:30, as the result of being shot with a deadly revolver.
In support of the theory that it is always the unexpected that happens, it was the general opinion that Klinkert, of all people in this section, would be the last to end his own life. A young man with iron nerve, for whom death itself had no terrors, yet with a heart as tender as that of a babe, in apparent good health, a conduct denoting most perfect peace without, yet no doubt suffering tortures within, in a moment of irrationality, with no kindly hand to stay his rashness until he could regain his senses, committed the final act which forfeited his life and lost to this community one of its most enterprising and energetic young citizens.
Charles associated most all day Sunday with friends, his last hour in public being spent at divine services in the Christian church, where Rev. Berg was delivering the discourse. Those who noted his actions thought him to be of the usual good spirits, though it was generally known that his domestic relations were not pleasant, and in fact he and his wife had separated last week, the final division of the property having occurred Sunday. The struggle within is best told be his actions leading up to the commission of the sad and awful tragedy.
Early in the evening he went to his quarters at the hatchery, and made preparation to retire. Evidently the stillness of his surroundings, and the weight of his unhappy domestic affairs caused him to change his mind, and donning again his clothing he started out in the night to the house of his wife, who had returned to the parental roof.
It was about 11 o'clock when he arrived at Mr. Plummer's home, and arousing the family, he asked for Alice, his wife. Begging her to return with him, or to agree to continue as his wife, and meeting her refusal, though he explained that refusal would end all - that he would take his life - after all attempts at reconciliation had failed the young man departed, and when about ten steps outside the door, the report of a gun was heard. The boy died with scarcely a struggle, the bullet entering just behind the left ear, ranging upward through the head, and lodging in the brain.
The family notified the officers, and Deputy Sheriff Hall went up to take charge of the body, the young woman refusing to have anything to do with it, or to give any direction as to its disposal, other than to request that it be removed. Brothers of the young man, Jacob, John and Henry, then took charge, and the body was brought to town, where it was turned over to Undertaker Culbertson, and prepared for burial.
The family of the young woman, which is highly respected and esteemed in this community, where they have lived for a number of years, exerted every good influence to effect a reconciliation of the young people, and are deeply grieved over the sad outcome. Without taking space to repeat any of the conversation of various people with the widow, or what she told the officers, it is apparent she is quite indifferent as to the affair, preferring to talk of the coming Christmas ball. Papers in divorce proceedings were to have been served upon deceased the day following his death.
Charles Klinkert was born in Minneapolis, Minn., in 1877. He came to this valley eleven years ago, and engaged in mining. About four years ago he received the appointment as superintendent of the local state fish hatchery, which position he has held with entire satisfaction of the state, and the success of the hatchery. Christmas day, 1905 he married Miss Alice Plummer. The couple made their home at the hatchery here until their unhappy separation last week.
The deep sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved family, who are deeply grieved with the tragic death of their loved one. Mrs. Helen Klinkert, his mother, and other members of the family were notified of the death.
The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock burial being made in Beaver creek cemetery, a large concourse of pioneer citizens paying their tribute to memory of the deceased. Services at the grave were conducted by Rev. J. C. Beach, and a trio composed of Messrs. Beach, Seiner and Sprouse furnished song service.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - December 11, 1908

William E. Kirkpatrick  
Death Claims Two Well Known Citizens
William E. Kirkpatrick, Orchardist, Is Called.
Mrs. Maria M. Dow Found Dead in Bed Sunday Morning, Result of Heart Failure.
William E. Kirkpatrick
The death of William E. Kirkpatrick occurred at his Pogue Prairie home last Saturday evening at about 6 o'clock. Although he had been in ill health for the past two years, following a severe siege of typhoid, Mr. Kirkpatrick had been able to be about the place up to within a few days of his death, and hopes had been entertained for the full recovery of his death.
William E. Kirkpatrick was one of the best known pioneers of the section now embraced in the government irrigation project. Fifteen years ago this month he came into the Okanogan country in company with his brother-in-law, J. H. Sprowl, and his sister, Miss Laura Kirkpatrick, all three taking up homesteads in the vicinity of the pioneer Pogue ranch. These places have been developed into magnificent orchard tracts, and Mr. Kirkpatrick's 40-acre apple orchard is one of the finest in the valley, if not in the state.
Deceased was one of the real "live wires" of this territory and a man of great energy and everlasting faith in the Okanogan country. He was one of the first to agitate the matter of government irrigation for Pogue Flat, and it was largely through his efforts and those of his little band of co-workers and boosters that the hopes of the early settlers were finally realized in the government's taking hold of the big proposition.
Deceased was born in Bloomington, Iowa, 55 years ago. His immediate relatives surviving are his sister, Miss Laura Kirkpatrick, who has been his companion for years; another sister, Mrs. Adams of Weatherspoon, Iowa; and a third sister, Mrs. Dr. F. P. Adams of Yellow Pine, Alabama. Dr. and Mrs. Adams are now on their way here, and funeral arrangements are being held up pending their arrival.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - April 6, 1915

Mary Ann Knibbs  
Mary Ann (Riggan) Knibbs, 66, of Bridgeport, died Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2004, at the Okanogan-Douglas Hospital in Brewster.
She was born in Arkansas and moved with her family to Washington state in 1943. She was a longtime Bridgeport and Brewster area resident.
Survivors include her husband, at the home, and a brother in Yakima
Services will be 10 a.m. Monday at Barnes Chapel in Brewster, Elder Jim Hagel officiating. Committal service and interment will follow at the Bridgeport Cemetery.
Arrangements are by Barnes Chapel.
Abstracted form the original - The Wenatchee World - Wenatchee, Washington - December 31, 2004
Submitted by Ilene Jeffers

Anna C. Knox  
Mrs. Carey Knox
Mrs. Carey Knox, the aged mother of Mrs. C. M. Davidson, died at the Davidson home Saturday at 1 o'clock in the afternoon, after an illness lasting several months. Funeral services were held at the residence Sunday morning, Rev. Brown, of Omak, officiating, and attended by a large number of sympathizing citizens who followed the remains to their last resting place in the Okanogan cemetery.
Anna Christinia Enyart was born near Indianapolis, Ind., October 31, 1831, and removed with her parents to Iowa during her early childhood. In 1850 she was married in Carey Knox. Of this union ten children were born, five of whom are living. Her husband passed away in 1900. In 1882 she, with her family moved to Ratun, N. M., where she resided until fifteen mnoths ago when her daughter, Mrs. Davidson, went after her, bringing her to Okanogan, where she has resided ever since.
Deceased has been held in high esteem by all who knew her and who join in extending condolences to the bereaved ones who mourn her departure. From early womanhood up to the time of her death, she was known only as a devout Christian and a woman of sublime character.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - March 30, 1915

William Kohen  
Some time during Monday night or early Tuesday morning, Wm. Kohen, a widely known half breed, living at Keremeos, was bucked from his horse near the east end of the railroad tunnel at Rich Bar, about four miles west of Oroville, sustaining injuries from which he subsequently died. Kohn, who visited Oroville quite frequently was in town Monday, and while here managed in some way that needs looking into to secure considerable liquor. He left for home sometime during the night on horseback. He was discovered at 5 o'clock Tuesday morning by Jas. Duffy, the watchman at the tunnel, lying along side of the railroad embankment, with a gash in his head and bleeding very profusely. At that time Kohn was still breathing, although unconscious. Duffy placed the body in a more comfortable position, and sent word of the accident into town. It was a long time before Deputy Sheriff Carrel was notified and when he reached the spot Kohn was dead although he continued to show sighs of life up to 9 o'clock without regaining consciousness.
Office Carrel got into communication with Coroner McCampbell, at Okanogan as soon as possible and that official came up to Oroville at once. In company with L.W. Barnes and Roadmaster Nelson he repaired to the scene of the accident on a hand car returning late in the evening with the remains. A thorough examination was made of the body at Mr. Barnes morgue. The only outward and visible sign of injury was a gash an inch or an inch and a half, long above and just back of the right ear. The skull was not fractured. The coroner was of the opinion from a superficial examination that the neck was dislocated, otherwise it would be difficult to account for death following so soon after the injury. The things found upon the clothing were a few scraps of paper, evidently well worn receipts, 50 cents in change, the fragments of a small bottle that had evidently contained whisky and a quart bottle of whisky partly consumed.
From the appearance of the ground near where the body was discovered it appeared that the horse commenced bucking on the side hill, and down over the railroad embankment, where the rider was thrown, his head striking a large rock. This was plainly evident from the quantity of blood on the rock. Kohn was a very heavy, stockily built man and must have struck the rock with fearful force. The only wonder is under the circumstances that the skull was not crushed. The coroner did not consider it necessary to put the county to the expense of an inquest, as death was plainly due to pure accident.
The deceased was raised by the late Frank Richter, and lived in and near Keremeos for 40 years. He was married, and is survived by a wife and a number of children, some of whom are grown. He was considered a crack horseman, and it is somewhat strange that an animal was able to unseat him. No doubt liquor was responsible largely for his death, although the rough nature of the country where the horse bucked would make it almost impossible for any kind of rider, no matter how skillful, to retain his seat. It is stated that the horse is a vicious animal, and some time ago bucked off and killed a brother of Indian Edwards.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - June 13, 1913
Submitted by Dorothy Petry

David Kressler  
David Kressler Dead.
David Kressler, a well known resident of Happy Hill, died Thursday afternoon from pneumonia, following an attack of influenza.
Kressler was an industrious farmer, who came here about eight years ago from the Dayton section. He was a son-in-law of James Woodward of Happy Hill. He had been married about ten years and was about 35 years of age. He leaves to mourn his departure besides his widow, a daughter ten years old and a baby.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - January 31, 1920

Ethel Kressler  
Death Of Mrs. David Kressler On Thursday
Mrs. Ethel Kressler of Happy Hill died Thursday morning of influenza, one week after the death of her husband, David Kressler.
At the time of her husband's death Mrs. Kressler was very ill and unable to leave her bed and her condition grew gradually worse until the end came in spite of all that could be done to save her.
The funeral service was conducted Friday morning at the Yarwood undertaking parlors in this city and interment was made in the cemetery at Conconully beside the remains of her husband.
Mrs. Kressler was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Woodward of Happy Hill. She was 31 years of age and was a native of this state, having been born near Dayton. She has resided in Okanogan county for eight years. Besides her parents, deceased is survived by a daughter ten years of ago.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - February 7, 1920


2006-2019. Judi's Genealogy. All rights reserved.