Obituaries O
Search billions of records on

Okanogan County, Washington

Surnames O

O'CONNOR, E. T. "Ed."
O'KEEFE, John W.
OLIVER, Louis D.
OLSON, Alfred
OWEN, Florence

E. T. "Ed." O'Connor  
Pioneer Merchant is Called by Death
Death overtook E. T. "Ed." O'Connor last week Friday morning just as he was beginning the accustomed duties for the day.
Mr. O'Connor had opened the store, as usual, and was about his reuglar morning work when the call came to close his period here among his friends.
Mr. O'Connor was stricken as he stood washing his hands and Dr. Fryer, who was called immediately, and who made strenuous efforts to revive life, stated that death had been instantaneous and very painless.
The deceased was taken to his boyhood home in Matoon, Illinois, by his brother M. F. O'Connor, the journey east starting on Saturday morning.
Had "Ed." lived just a week longer, he could have celebrated his fifty-third birthday. He was born and reared at Matoon, Ill., and came to Omak, and entered its commercial life in May 1910, and with the exception of a year and a half during the war when he patriotically took up his old trade a railway machinist, he has made this his home.
Four brothers and four sisters survive to mourn their loss and the community extends its sympathy to the stricken family.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - December 7, 1922

Melvin E. O'Flaherty  
Melvin E. O'Flaherty Is Called By Death
Well Known Citizen Dies Of Pneumonia.
Funeral Held Thursday Under Auspices of Okanogan Masonic Lodge.
The death of Mel O'Flaherty occurred Tuesday evening after a struggle with pneumonia extending over a period of a week. For several days his life had been dispared of, so strongly had the dread disease attached itself, and long before death came relatives and friends were resigned to the inevitable, in spite of every medical attention that it were possible to give.
The funeral was held at the Okanogan undertaking parlors Thursday at 1 o'clock, under the auspices of the Masons. Rev. W. L. Beaumont read the service. The local Masonic lodge attended in a body and a large concourse of other friends outside the order were present to pay their last respects. Interment was made in the local cemetery. The pallbearers were C. M. Davidson, F. W. Ostermeyer, C. E. Hansen, C. C. Richardson, Harry J. Kerr and B. L. Smith.
Melvin Edward O'Flaherty was one of the pioneer farmers and stock men of this vicinity and for the last ten years had lived on a ranch a short distance below town with the family of his brother, A. G. O'Flaherty. He was born August 30, 1876, at Vancouver, Washington, and practically his entire life has been spent in this state, the greater portion of the time near Almira, where his parents were early settlers. For several years he and his parents conducted the Wild Goose Bill ferry on the Columbia river, over which a large portion of the travel and freighting for the Okanogan country came in the early days. Ten years ago with his mother and brother he moved to Okanogan and engaged in the stock business, later engaging in orcharding.
Mel O'Flaherty was one of the most highly respected citizens of the community and his death removes one in whom everyone had the greatest confidence and esteem. His living relatives are his mother, Mrs. J. A. Davis, and his brother, A. G. O'Flaherty. He was a member of the Okanogan Masonic lodge. About two years ago he took out a $2000 policy in the Equitable Life Insurance Company, of which his mother is beneficiary.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - January 15, 1916

John W. O'Keefe  
John W. O'Keefe Is Called By Death
Pioneer Citizen Stricken By Heart Failure.
Sickness of Several Days Ends Life of One of Okanogan's Best Known Citizens.
After three days' illness from heart trouble, John W. O'Keefe, one of Okanogan's pioneer citizens, died Thursday morning about 5 o'clock. Mr. O'Keefe was taken seriously ill Monday afternoon, although for some days he had been ailing. Monday evening his condition demanded the services of physicians and although he rallied, he was very weak the next day. Wednesday night was passed comfortably, however, and at 5 o'clock he called for water, which was given him by Mrs. O'Keefe. Fifteen minutes later, noticing that he was very quite, his wife investigated and found that life was extinct.
John Willis O'Keefe was born in Hillsdale, New York, August 28th, 1853. He spent his early life in Huntington, Mass., and moved with his parents to Wisconsin, and from there to Seward county, Nebraska. He came to the state of Washington in 1880 and lived in Tacoma a few years.
He was married at Seward, Neb., April 19, 1885, to Eliza G. McCracken, coming to Pasco, Wash., the same year, where he lived until 1900, when he came to Okanogan. He remained here until 1907, when, with his family, he moved to White Salmon, Wash., but returned to Okanogan in 1910, where he has since resided.
Deceased taught school in Nebraska and also in Washington. He served as county superintendent, auditor and treasurer while in Franklin county, Washington.
He leaves a wife, son Edward L. O'Keefe, daughter Mrs. Grace A. Oswalt, two brothers, Edward and Charles O'Keefe, and a sister, Mrs. L. B.Manus of Everett, Wash.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - May 19, 1917

Louis D. Oliver  
Death Of L. D. Oliver.
Louis Dow Oliver, deputy customs collector stationed at Oroville, died Sunday evening about 11 o'clock, after a lingering illness. The funeral was private, and took place from the chapel in the Barnes undertaking parlors at noon Tuesday, Rev. A. W Bond officiating.
The deceased was born July 11, 1884, at Stafford, Kansas, and hence was aged 31 years, 10 months and 14 days. He came to Washington some twelve years ago, and was married to Miss Myrtle Canney at Tacoma, February 8, 1906. He entered the customs service between six and seven years ago, and was assigned to the office at Oroville in July, 1914. He was a graduate of the University of Washington and a a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity. He leaves a wife and a number of relatives to mourn his untimely death, owing to the insidious disease that finally proved fatal. Mr. Oliver, during his residence here was confined very much to his home, coming in contact with few beyond those with whom he transacted official business. There has never been a more beautiful exemplification of womanly devotion and self-sacrifice than in this instance where the loyal and sorrowing wife bore her cross uncomplainingly remaining with and attending to the wants of the sufferer alone and unsupported every day and hour for months and months, realizing that the ruthless ailment was incurable, helpless to render succor, and bending all her energies to make life easier for the victim by constant attention and gentle and careful nursing. She has the sympathy and has won the admiration of the entire community.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - June 2, 1916

Alfred Olson  
Alfred Olson.
Death claimed another of the valley's citizens, when, on last Thursday morning at about 11 o'clock, Mr. Alfred Olson passed from this life to the great beyond, and at the time of his death was 41 years, 8 months, and 16 days old. He was born in Sweden, February 12, 1874. As a result of a bad fall a number of years ago, he was afflicted with cardiac asthma, which disease was the immediate cause of his death.
Mr. Olson has been a resident of the valley several years, owning a small farm between here and Winthrop, and had built up a comfortable home for his family. While his natural disposition was quiet, yet those who knew him respected him highly. His only relatives in this part of the country are his wife and little daughter, six years of age, who deeply mourn their loss.
As an expression of sympathy for the bereaved wife and daughter, a large number of friends attended the funeral service which was held at the M. E. church, Rev. Ricketts preaching the sermon. The remains were laid away in the Beaver creek cemetery, Prof. Van Pelt reading the burial ceremony, funeral arrangements being in charge of Undertaker Thomas.
The Methow Valley News - Twisp, Washington - November 15, 1915

Edward Ostenberg  
Death Claims Two During Past Week
Ostenberg Fails To Recover From Operation.
Will Gibson Dies of Heart Failure on Road Between His Home and Conconully.
Edward Ostenberg was called by death Thursday morning about 3 o'clock, after an illness extending over more than a year. An operation was performed a few weeks ago in the hopes of improving his condition and for a time it was believed that the desired end had been attained, but a week previous to his demise a change for the worse occurred and he experienced a gradual decline to the end.
Edward Ostenberg was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ostenberg, pioneers of Okanogan, having come here with his parents twenty-seven years ago. He established one of the earliest business ventures in Okanogan, then Alma, when eleven years ago he and Dan Davidson went into the general merchandise business in what is known as the "Old Town." Later they erected the building now occupied by Mr. Cain as a pool hall and conducted the first store in the present business center. He later sold his interests to B. H. Richards, now of Malott, and the store finally became the property of Elgin, Nelson & Company, under which name it is still conducted.
Mr. Ostenberg was forty-one years of age. He was married eleven years ago to Miss Annie Galler and is survived by his wife and four children. Aside from his parents his other relatives in this vicinity are a sister, Miss Julia, and brothers, Walter, George and Ernest.
Funeral services will be conducted this morning (Saturday) at the Okanogan undertaking parlors and interment will be made in Okanogan cemetery.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - August 21, 1915

Gwenlyn Ostenberg  
Death Of An Infant
The death of Gwenlyn Maxine Ostenberg, five months' old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Ostenberg, occurred Monday evening. The little one's death was caused by pneumonia.
Mrs. Ostenberg and daughter had been visiting at the home of Mrs. Ostenberg's mother, Mrs. T. P. McNeil at Loomis, when the child was taken ill. The trip home was made yesterday afternoon, Mrs. McNeil accompanying her daughter and baby.
Funeral services will be held at the residence tomorrow morning at 10:30. Rev. Page will conduct the service and Mrs. Chas. Beck will have charge of the musical features.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - January 27, 1920

William C. Ostenberg  
Billy Ostenberg Passes In Sleep
William Charles Ostenberg, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Ostenberg, died at the home of his parents shortly before midnight Thursday. The boy would have been six years old on the fourth of July.
"Billy" apparently had successfully passed through a three months' illness, and for several weeks past had been able to sit up in bed. A day or two ago, however, a relapse came affecting his heart. He passed away peacefully while sleeping.
Funeral services will be held at 2:00 o'clock Saturday afternoon, at St. John's Episcopal Mission. Rev. Herman R. Page will officiate. Burial will be in the Okanogan cemetery.
"Billy" is survived by a three-year old sister Katherine. He was the grandson of the well known pioneers, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Ostenberg of the city, and Mrs. and Mrs. Wm. Hatcher of Omak.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - May 27, 1922

Ida Otto
Mrs. Ida Otto, 86, died Monday, October 26, 1953, at her home in Pateros. She was born on February 4, 1867 in Lane County, Kansas. She married Fred Otto in 1898. He died in 1916. In 1889 she moved to Milton, Oregon and later to Latah, Washington before coming to Okanogan County. She was an expert quilter.
Survivors include 3 sons, Harold of Methow; Tracy and Sart of Pateros. 2 brothers, Hershel Jameson of Kennewick and Henry Jameson of Clarkston. 3 sisters, Mrs. Maggie Wickersham, Mrs. Hattie Duncan and Mrs. Nan Marstan, all of Clarkston. 4 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren.
Smith Funeral Home of Chelan was in charge of arrangements.
Abstracted from the original - The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - October 29, 1953

Florence Owen  
Death Of Mrs. R. H. Owen
Mrs. Florence Owen, wife of R. H. Owen, died Tuesday of last week at the Owen homestead near Nespelem. Mrs. Owen had been ill for about a year and a half. Funeral services were held at the Nespelem M. E. church conducted by Rev. Lewis of Almira and interment was made at Nespelem.
Deceased was a native of Spain and came to America with her parents when three years old. She had lived in this state for twenty-two years. She was 42 years of age and leaves besides her husband, one stepson, Herman C. Owen.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - November 9, 1920


2006-2019. Judi's Genealogy. All rights reserved.