Obituaries R

Okanogan County, Washington

Surnames R

RAWLEY, Fannie
RAYE, John W.
READ, Frank
REED, James T.
REED, Percy
RIGGAN, Brandel
RIGGAN, Jewel D.
RISTE, Edgar
RISTE, Walter G.
RODOLPH, Charles T.
ROOM, Henry
ROSS, Hallie Wilson
RUNNELS, George W.
RUPP, George

Fannie Rawley  Added 6/08/06
Mrs. Benjamin Rawley
Fannie Alexander was born in Jackson County, Mo., March 12, 1874. While still a child she removed with her mother's family to Troutdale, Ore., where on March 27, 1897 she was united in marriage to Benjamin Rowley. After a residence of four years in Troutdale the family removed to the Methow Valley; locating at Twisp where the family has resided for the past twelve years. To this happy union has been born two children; Wayne B. age 14, and an infant daughter born February 9, 1913, both of whom with their father survive the beloved mother and wife. To mourn this untimely death are also Mrs. Geo. Banner, of Twisp, mother of Mrs. Rowley, and a brother and sister; Thos. Alexander, of Tacoma and Mrs. Nora Ross.
Mrs. Fannie Rowley died at her home in Twisp Monday morning, April 28, at 4 A.M., after a lingering illness, aged 39 years, 1 month and 18 days. The funeral services, which were in charge of the K. of P. and the Pythian Sisters, were held at the Christian Church in Twisp, Tuesday at 1 P.M. The address was delivered by W. L. Singer and music was furnished by a quartette consisting of Mrs. J. M. Scott, Mrs. H. E. Marble, Messrs Marble and R. W. Dow. After the services in the church were over the cortege proceeded to the Beaver Creek cemetery where the beautiful and impressive services of the Pythian Sisters were held. The body was slowly lowered to its final resting place as the closing words of the burial service were pronounced by W. L. Singer.
The Methow Valley Journal - Winthrop, Washington - May 1, 1913

John W. Raye  Added 04/20/07
Death Takes Two Pioneer Settlers
John W. Raye and Wm. Culberson Called.
Former Buried Saturday and Latter Yesterday in the Okanogan Cemetery.
John W. Raye.
Brief mention was made last week of the death of John W. Raye, whose home is five miles south of town. He had been ill for a couple of years and during the past several months had been scarcely able to leave the house. The funeral was conducted Saturday at the McCampbell undertaking parlor by Rev. Fred J. Hart.
John W. Raye was born June 15, 1854, in Henderson, New York, and died November 27, 1913. He went to Wisconsin with his parents when only a small child. He was married to Alma A. Lemon in the year 1875, and to this union three children were born, two sons and a daughter. The family came to Wenatchee in 1900 and remained there until 1907, since which time he has resided in the Okanogan valley. In 1907 he lost the oldest son, William R. Raye. He is survived to mourn his death a wife, son Bert, daughter Mrs. Hindman, a brother James W. and sister Mrs. Paul Miller, both of Woneloc, Wis.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - December 5, 1913

Frank Read  Added 01/05/07
Frank Read, An Okanogan Pioneer, Died Saturday
Frank Read, pioneer of the Okanogan valley, died last Saturady at a hospital in Portland after an operation for cancer of the mouth, that had been performed on Wednesday of last week. For some months the sore had been developing and a few weeks ago he left the soldiers' home at Orting and went to Portland where his wife and son are stopping, and after his arrival there specialists advised an operation. This necessitated cutting away portions of the tongue and jaw bone, from which the patient never recovered.
Frank Read was one of the early settlers in this section, coming here 26 years ago and settling on a ranch several miles west of town. Later he moved to Alma, now Okanogan, and became prominently identified with the history and growth of the place. In partnership with Charles Ostenberg he helped build the flouring mill now operated by Mr. Ostenberg. It was built some fiteen years ago and was the first mill if its kind ever constructed in the county. For many years it provided the only cash market for wheat grown by early ranchers of the valley and grain was hauled here for distances as great as 50 miles. Read was also associated with Mr. Ostenberg in the construction of the steamer Enterprise, which was built here some fourteen years ago. This they operated successfully several years when they sold it to the old Columbia & Okanogan Steamboat Company.
Later Mr. Read disposed of his milling property to Mr. Ostenberg and invested in town real estate and at the time of his death owned valuable residence and business property in various parts of Okanogan.
Frank Read was about 69 years of age at time of his death. He comes from Revolutionary stock, his great grandfather, W. C. Bunce, having been a member of the Continental Army in 1776--the 20th regiment and the 4th company. His grandfather, James Read, was a soldier in the War of 1812, and a Baptist minister. When the war between the states opened Frank was a mere lad and attempted to join the northern forces but was rejected owing to his youth, and it was not until 1863 at the age of 14 years that he was finally accepted by the recruiting officers as a drummer boy. He was a member of Co. D., 117th New York infantry. He was an early settler in Portland where he was a member of George Wright post, G. A. R., and in later days helped organize a G. A. R. veterans' association in Okanogan. For the past two or three years he had been living most of the time at the state soldiers' home at Orting.
Deceased leaves his wife and son Edward of Portland, and a daughter, Mrs. Ada Henes of Liverpool, N. Y.
The accompanying picture is one taken of Mr. Read nine years ago. He is shown holding a drum, a relic of the Revolutionary war, and which saw service in the War of 1812 and the Civil War. It has been handed down from father to son and was carired by Mr. Read from 1863 to the close of the Civil War. The same old drum was used several times during the past summer on the occasion of Okanogan's soldiers leaving to join the forces against the Kaiser. This drum was one of the most highly prized possessions of Mr. Read. It was made by his great grandfather, Bunce, at the beginning of the Revolutionary war.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - January 8, 1918

James T. Reed  Added 04/30/07
James Thomas "Tom" Reed, 62, of Brewster, died Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2006, at Okanogan-Douglas Hospital.
He was born in St. Paul, Ark., and moved at an early age with his family to Pateros, where he grew up. He worked for Azwell Orchards for his whole life.
Survivors include his wife; one son, of Everett; and two sisters.
Graveside services will be 2 p.m. Saturday at Pateros Cemetery. Visitation will be 2 to 8 p.m. Friday at Barnes Chapel in Brewster.
Arrangements are by Barnes Chapel.
Abstracted form the original - The Wenatchee World - Wenatchee, Washington - October 5, 2006
Submitted by Ilene Jeffers

Percy Reed  Added 07/05/07
Two Omakers Give Lives For Their Country
Rehbein Killed in Action
Reed Dies in Service
This community was both saddened and shocked Wednesday to learn of the death of Percy Reed.
The young man was training in Uncle Sam's radio service and had been transferred to a military camp at Austin, Texas.
Death was caused by an attack of influenza and Percy was ill for two weeks before death overcame him. His sister Ethel reached him the day before he died and accompanied the body to the family home in Seattle.
Friends in this community will always remember Percy as the clean, jolly young man who was always the picture of health and happiness.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - December 6, 1918

Henry C. Rehbein  Added 07/05/07
Two Omakers Give Lives For Their Country
Rehbein Killed in Action
Reed Dies in Service
Henry C. Rehbein was the first Omak young man to give his life in the great cause of world redemption and his Omak friends sorrow with the parents and relatives at the passing of this bright young man who had elected to cast his lot in this community.
Henry made several attempts to volunteer before his turn came in the draft but was never able to make it owing to slight physical deficiencies but he was accepted in the regular draft and was soon on his way to France and the firing line, with very little preliminary training as a soldier. He met his death in action on September 29 and this community will always honor his gold star in our large service flag.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - December 6, 1918

Peter Reilly  Added 9/30/06
Death Calls Peter Reilly, Old Pioneer
Thirty-OneYears A Resident Of Okanogan County.
Born in Ireland 68 Years Ago--Lived in North Yakima--To Be Buried at San Francisco
Peter Reilly, the well known pioneer, passed away at his ranch home five miles south of town Thursday evening. For several weeks he had been suffering with an illness that developed after a severe attack of pneumonia, and for some days previous to death had been unconscious. At his bedside when death came were his sister, Mary Reilly, his brother Tom and his nephew, Francis Joseph Reilly.
The body was prepared for shipment by the local undertaker, Ed. Yarwood, and will be shipped this morning for San Francisco, where interment will be made in the Holy Cross cemetery.
Deceased was held in highest esteem by all who knew him. When the news of his death was reported around town many of the old timers who pioneered it here with him told tales of many early day kindnesses extended by Mr. Reilly to his neighbors who were in less favorable circumstances. He took a keen interest in the development of the country, and leaves a large estate. He was the first president of the Okanogan Valley Bank, now the First National Bank, and at the time of his death was a director in that institution. Out of respect to deceased both banks in the city will be closed today from 9 to 10 o'clock.
Peter Reilly was one of the earliest settlers of the Okanogan country. He came to the Methow in 1886 and a year later settled on his present homestead in the Okanogan valley where he has remained almost continuously for thirty years. He was born in Ireland, coming to New York at the age of 21 years. He conducted a small store in New York for a time and in 1881 came west, locating at North Yakima where he remained until coming to the Okanogan. Five brothers and four sisters survive.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - August 18, 1917

August Reimers  Added 04/20/07
Aug. Reimers Dead.
Malott, July 3.--After a lingering illness covering a period of several months, August Reimers died early last Saturday morning. The funeral took place Sunday morning from the family residence and interment was made in the graveyard at Malott. Services were conducted by Rev. Fred J. Hart of Okanogan and the funeral was in charge of the Okanogan Valley Undertaking Association. Mr. Reimers was in his 56th year. He emigrated from Germany in 1881, settled in Nebraska and afterward lived in Oregon, and in 1896 removed to Spokane where he conducted a general merchandise business for 13 years, coming to Malott two years ago. He left a widow and two sons, John of Malott, and Gus of Spokane. The former will continue to conduct the business here.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - July 5, 1912

Brandel Riggan  Added 06/06/07
Brandel "Brandi" Riggan
Brandel "Brandi" Riggan died unexpectedly on Monday, Nov. 12, 2001, at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, from injuries sustained in an automobile accident on Oct. 31, 2001. She was 19.
Brandi was born in Atlanta, GA on April 7, 1982. She is the daughter of Delbert Riggan of Vacaville, CA, and Paula Riggan, of Lowell, MA.
Survivors include her parents, two sisters, three brothers, a great-grandmother, grandparents and many aunts, uncles, and cousins.
Funeral Services were held at the Emmanuel Baptist Church in Chelmsford, MA, on Friday, November 16, 2001 at 11 a.m.
Abstracted from the original - The Wenatchee World - Wenatchee, Washington - November 18, 2001
Submitted by Ilene Jeffers

Hazel Riggan  Added 06/06/07
Hazel Riggan was born on June 15, 1912, in Locksburg, Arkansas. She lived in Brewster from 1952 until her death on March 4, 2006.
She is survived by her five children and their spouses. Her husband Johnny preceded her in death.
Services will be held at the Barnes Funeral Home in Brewster on March 11, 2006, at 10 a.m. followed by Interment in the Bridgeport Cemetary.
Abstracted from the original - The Wenatchee World - Wenatchee, Washington - March 10, 2006
Submitted by Ilene Jeffers

Jewel Dean Riggan  Added 06/06/07
Jewel Dean Riggan, formerly of Brewster, died on February 18, 2002 at Mt. Vernon.
He was born on Sept. 15, 1932, the son of Thomas Jewell and Letha Mae Riggan at Ivy, AR. He married Sandra Mahaney in Brewster in 1956.
Survivors include six sons and one daughter; three sisters and one brother; numerous grandchildren, great-grandchildren, nieces, nephews and cousins.
Jewell was preceded in death by his parents, Thomas and Letha Riggan, his wife, Sandra J. Riggan and his brother, Billy Riggan.
Services will be conducted Friday, Feb. 22, 2002, at 11 a.m. from Barnes Chapel, Brewster. Interment will follow at the Brewster City Cemetery, with military rites by the Brewster American Legion Post #97.
Abstracted from the original - The Wenatchee World - Wenatchee, Washington - February 20, 2002
Submitted by Ilene Jeffers

Edgar Riste  Added 6/30/06
Death Of Edgar Riste
Edgar Riste died at the home of his brother, Geo. Riste, at Molson, Sunday morning about 7 o'clock, after a lingering illness and from that insidious disease consumption. The ailment has been slowly sapping his vitality for months, and when the end came it came suddenly, as he got up out of bed only a few minutes before he breathed his last. The deceased was born in Iowa, some 33 years ago, has lived in Washington most of his life, and was the youngest of seven brothers and two sisters. All of the brothers are residents of the northern part of the county, Walter G., and Albert near Chopaka, Hugh and Ernest in and near Oroville, and George and Bert at Molson. The deceased was a graduate of Stanford university, and has been engaged in the practice of law in Spokane for the past ten years. He came to this county when he felt his health failing some five months ago, and remained with his brothers until the last summons. The remains were taken to Cheney where the family lived for a number of years after coming to Washington in charge of Ernest Riste and buried beside the grave of the father. Edgar Riste was a very bright and promising young man, cut down in the very flower of a useful manhood, and his death, the first in a large family, is a sad blow to the survivors.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - July 25, 1913

Roy B. Riste  Added 8/07/06
Funeral Of Roy B. Riste Conducted Sunday Morning
The funeral of Roy B. Riste, who lost his life in the Okanogan river at Malott Thursday evening, was held Sunday morning from the parlors of the Okanogan Undertaking Company. The services were conducted by Rev. Father Tritz, uncle of Mrs. Riste.
Friends of the deceased filled the service room of the undertaking establishment to capacity, and almost as many more stood in reverence outside the building while the last rites were being conducted. Fellow employees of the Boston-Okanogan Apple Company and acquaintances in Okanogan, made during the time Mr. Riste was a member of the high school faculty, were present in large numbers.
Only a simple service was held at the parlors, and further rites were conducted at the cemetery. A quartette of young ladies--Miss Veda Kildea, Miss Mary May, Miss Maxine Heath and Miss Kathleen Brown--sang both at the town and cemetery services. Rev. Father Tritz spoke on the certainty of death and the uncertainty of the time and circumstances of death, remarking that on the evening of his death the deceased had been making business plans for the fall. His death by drowning was witnessed by his wife, while one baby slept in the automobile and another played in shallow water in the river.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - August 23, 1921

Walter G. Riste  Added 01/25/07
Death Of A Former Resident.
W. G. Riste Passes Away at Seattle After a Brief Illness.
The sad news reached relatives and friends last Thursday morning that death had summoned W. G. Riste that morning at his home at Seattle after a brief illness.
Walter Garver Riste was burn in Toulon, Illinois, and came west in 1908, locating in Okanogan county. At one time he was superintendent of the Oroville school, and for several years lived on a ranch in the Similkameen valley, but had charge of schools every fall and winter. He was an excellent instructor and executive and spent most of his life in the school room, expecting to teach this present school year.
His illness dated from the last of August, and while serious his death was not expected up until within a few hours of the end. He had reached an age of 67 years, yet he had retained his general health, vitality and activity up until this last illness. His wife, two sons, Donald and Victor, and four daughters, Mrs. Fay Rogers, Misses Clara and Ida, all of Seattle, and Dr. Rose Riste, doing missionary work in India, besides Mrs. Sarah Riste of this place, his aged mother and a sister and five brothers living in or near Oroville, survive him. One son, Roy, lost his life by drowning at Malott, about a year ago.
The deceased was well and favorably known in Kansas and this state as a teacher and educator. He loved his chosen profession and entered with enthusiasm into all phases of school work. He was the founder of the Teachers' Association in Kansas, and in this state did much work in the Parent-Teachers' Associations. He had the faculty of interesting the young people in the better things of life, and thousands of men, women and younger people who came in contact with him during his active life time will sincerely regret the loss of a kind and sympathetic friend. He leaves behind an enviable record in the field of endeavor that he so long occupied, and the world is better for his having lived.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Wahington - September 22, 1922

Sarah A. Robinson  Added 03/15/07
Death of Prominent Pioneer Woman
The death of Mrs. Sarah A. Robinson, which occurred last week in Seattle, removes from our midst an early pioneer of the state of Washington, one of the oldest settlers of the Okanogan valley, and a lady of education and culture who traced her ancestry back to Revolutionary days.
Some two years ago, when living with her husband on on their homestead a short distance north of Omak, Mrs. Robinson was stricken with paralysis and rendered blind and helpless. Shortly afterward she was taken to Seattle and was given the advantage of all that medical science and specialists could do, but gradually failed until death overtook her Thursday of last week. Funeral services were held last Sunday and interment was made in the family lot in Mr. Pleasant cemetery.
Deceased was born October 18, 1839, at Liberty, Virginia, of Quaker parentage, noted in Revolutionary fame and as prominent plantation holders of the old Dominion state. Her father, Capt. Wm. Arthur, died when she was yet a mere child and the management of the estate was left to her mother, who was very successful until the terrible ravages of the Civil war destroyed everything of value she possessed. Mrs. Arthur had, long before the Emancipation Proclamation, given all her slaves their freedom, but every one remained faithful and refused to leave their old mistress until the blight of war forced them all to scatter.
Mrs. Robinson was educated at the Buckingham Female Institute, in Virginia, at that time the leading woman's college of the South, and up to the time of being stricken two years ago, always maintained a great interest in educational work. She was the possessor of a teacher's life certificate granted in the state several years ago and was superintendent of schools in Okanogan county one term.
In 1857 she was married to Daniel Hancock, of Lynchburg, Virginia, and at once came to Washington state and settled on Whidby Island. Participating there in the early struggles of pioneer life, she afterwards moved to Jefferson county, where in 1867, she was married to R. S. Robinson, and in 1896 came to Okanogan county.
Deceased was a cousin of President Arthur and in her girlhood days was a friend of the great southern soldier, General Robert E. Lee. She leaves to mourn her death a husband and four children--R. S. Robinson, a pioneer of this section; Mrs. Chas. Herrmann, of Conconully; Mrs. A. E. Bailey, of Los Gatos, Cal.; Miss S. L. Hancock, of Seattle; and Barton Robinson, of Omak.
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Herrmann and Mr. and Mrs. Barton Robinson left Friday last for Seattle to attend the funeral.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - December 11, 1908

Charles T. Rodolph
Charles Theadore Rodolph was born at Highland, Iowa County, Wisconsin, June 28, 1849, and died July 16, 1920, at his home near Omak, Washington, aged 71 years and 18 days. Death resulted from the effects of Influenza contracted in February of this year which changed to pneumonia and later to a gradual decline, being never robust, he could not withstand the ravages of this disease.
He was the son of Hon. Charles G. Rodolph and Cordelia Read Rodolph, his wife, and lived with them at Rodolph's Mills in Richland county, later going into his father's store when they moved to Muscoda, Grant county, where in September 1874 he was united in marriage to Ella R. Dimock, of Avoca. They lived at the Mills where he took charge for two years. After these mills were burned, he and his wife moved to his father's farm which he soon bought and lived there 21 years when his health becoming poor he sold his possessions and moved to the village of Mountfort near by living there 8 years, then going to Philip, South Dakota, for four years. In 1911, he decided to come to Omak where he was living at the time of his death.
They were the parents of three children, two boys and one girl, Ralph D., of Omak, Charles Garth of Seattle, and Letha E. (Mrs. Clark) who died in 1914. Besides these he leaves to mourn, his widow, two brothers and two sisters, Mrs. Adele Hodges and Miss Ida, of Los Angeles, Cal and Byron Rodolph, Winfield, Ks.
A good man, a loving husband and father has gone to his reward.
Interment was made at Omak cemetery Sunday, July 18, 1920.
The Omak Chronicle - Omak, Washington - July 23, 1920

Henry Room  Added 04/30/07
Henry Room, Aged Veteran, Called by Death
Henry Room, respected pioneer citizen of Okanogan, died last Saturday at 1:30 o'clock p.m. in the Deaconess hospital, Spokane. Five days previous he underwent an operation for gallstone from which he had been suffering more than two years, and his weakened condition was not sufficient to withstand the shock of the operation. Charles Ostenberg, a friend of many years' standing, was notified last week of the necessity of the operation and hastened to Spokane to be present and remained with his friend until the end came. A telegram received early Saturday afternoon by Frank Read from Mr. Ostenberg conveyed the news which many here had been momentarily expecting but which nevertheless proved a shock to the community.
Henry Room was about seventy years of age at the time of his death. A native of England, he came to the United States early in life and witnessed the stirring scenes just previous to the Civil War. He was 19 years old when the Stars and Stripes were fired upon at Sumpter. He enlisted at once in a Pennsylvania cavalry regiment and was soon in the thickest of the fighting. He participated in 42 battles, some of them the greatest combats of the war. Among other important events of the great struggle between the states he saw from the shore the battle of the two ironclads, the Merrimac and the Monitor, the first of its kind in history, and which marked the beginning of a new era in the construction of battleships. He was present at the surrender of Lee at Appomattox, and once while in a reminiscent mood he told the writer that one great disappointment of his life was that his regiment was asleep when the formal surrender took place. They had been fighting for forty-eight hours without sleep and were relieved on the morning of the eventful day for a well-earned rest. When they awakened Lee had surrendered and the war was over. Henry Room was mustered out as quartermaster sargeant of his troop.
Shortly after the close of the war Mr. Room married the lady of his choice and eight days after the wedding the bride, together with her mother, was killed by a stroke of lightning. This happened in New York state. The grief-stricken bridegroom then left for the west where he followed prospecting and mining, and when silver mining was at its height he was one of the owners of the Molly Gibson mine near Aspin, Colorado. At one time he was well on the road to be a millionaire. Then came the demonitization of silver which made the silver properties practically worthless for the time, and Henry Room was left a poor man.
Deceased came to Okanogan county 19 years ago, locating on a homestead in the Chiliwhist, the land which is now owned by Mr. Sullivan. After spending several years there he sold out and went into the Cariboo country in British Columbia. He also spent a year or two on Puget Sound, but has been in Okanogan for the past six or seven years where he has been engaged in contracting and building.
Deceased was buried at Spokane at 10:30 o'clock Tuesday morning under the auspices of the G. A. R. post of that city. At the same hour in Okanogan a memorial service was conducted in his honor in front of his place of business on Pine street. Major J. H. Hopkins, national memorial sargeant of the northwest, was in charge of the affair which was participated in by the Veterans' Association, the Ladies of the G. A. R. and the citizens of the town generally. The assemblage was formed at Second avenue and headed by the Schaller drum corps marched to the Room building where a temporary pulpit had been erected and draped with the national colors and decorated with a wreath of flowers. Rev. Fred J. Hart offered prayer, gave a scripture reading and delivered a short discourse on the life and work of deceased. A quartet composed of Messrs. Heath, Lockwood, Mintzer and Ward rendered vocal music. The services were largely attended, attesting the esteem in which Henry Room was held by his former neighbors. The city hall flag was at half-mast throughout the day.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - June 21, 1912

Hattie Roseman  Added 7/26/06
Sudden Death
Mrs. Hattie Roseman dropped dead at the home of Judson Murray, a short distance east of Oroville, shortly after noon Tuesday. Mrs. Roseman has been acting as nurse for Mrs. Murray for the past year. That lady is an invalid, almost helpless, and her condition has been such that for weeks hardly expected to survive from day to day. Mrs. Roseman has had charge of the sick and the management of the house, and although in her 67th year was active and robust. In fact never having suffered any severe illness during her life. Sunday she gave a dinner to the family of Mr. and Mrs. John Killian, and at that time was in excellent health and spirits. Monday Mrs. Roseman was somewhat indisposed, and she remained in bed Tuesday morning. She did not complain, and it was supposed that she merely had a slight attack if biliousness. Mr. Murray returned home from a trip to town at noon, and took a letter to Mrs. Roseman's room. She was then in bed, and told Mr. Murray to leave the letter on the bed. Some time afterward a Miss Potter, working in the Murray home, went to see if there was anything Mrs. Roseman wanted and found her on the floor dead, with the unopened letter beside her. From appearances it was evident that the deceased had gotten up to read the letter, and was instantly stricken by death, crumpling up on the floor, as no one in the house heard any fall, or unusual noise.
The deceased was an aunt of Mrs. Killian. She came to Oroville from Superior, Wis., in October, 1911. She had been twice married, and survived both husbands. She leaves two sons, George and Edward Wyman, residents of Chicago, two sisters, Mrs. A. J. Easter, of Everett, and Mrs. L. Cornac, of Hibbings, Minn., and a brother, Geo. Shufelt, of Braham, Wis., where the mother and first husband of the deceased are buried.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - May 2, 1913

Hallie Wilson Ross  Added 11/30/06
Hallie Wilson Ross
(By C. S. Treadwell).
Hallie Wilson Ross was born in Douglas county near Brewster, Wash., on Aug. 8th, 1899, and died in Spokane, Washington, May 12, 1922. She has lived all her life in Okanogan county, except for a short stay in Tacoma and a two year residence in Ellensburg. While here she was baptized into the Baptist church by Rev. M. H. Yager and was an earnest and successful Sunday school teacher and church worker. Coming back to Okanogan with her parents she attended our city high school for two years.
On 1917 she was married to J. A. Ross. God blessed this union with one little daughter who is with her grandparents here. Besides this little daughter Mrs. Ross leaves her parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Wilson, three sisters and one brother. Her husband and one sister are in San Bernardino, Cal., and so could not be at the funeral.
When eight years old Mrs. Ross had a very severe attack of typhoid fever which left a serious nervous condition that undoubtedly led to the sad accident of her death.
On every hand have come expressions of deep sorrow and grief at her passing and the many floral offering and large attendance at her funeral express the esteem in which she was held, and our own deep sympathy for her loved ones now with us. A letter from the employers club with whom she had been working in Spokane, and also from her employers, highly commended her work, her conduct among them and sorrow and sympathy at ther death.
The funeral services were held in the Baptist church on Wednesday, May 17, and the body laid beside her world war hero brother in the Okanogan cemetery. "The Eternal God is they refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms."
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - May 20, 1922

Eli Ruckman  Added 04/20/07
As briefly announced in last week's issue, Eli Ruckman died late Thursday evening, May 29, after a brief illness with erysipelas. The funeral was held Saturday afternoon at the Methodist church under the auspices of the local Knights of Phythias. Rev. J. W. Parmely conducted the service. The funeral was largely attended by sympathizing friends of the deceased and family. Mr. Ruckman had been a resident of this place a number of years.
The Okanogan Independent - Okanogan, Washington - June 6, 1913

George W. Runnels  Added 01/25/07
Death Of A Pioneer.
George W. Runnels died near Tonasket Saturday at the advanced age of 82 years, 1 month and 8 days. The funeral was held at the Catholic mission church at Ellis-Forde, Tuesday, and interment was in the little cemetery adjoining the church. A large number of relatives, friends and acquaintances followed the remains to their last resting place.
In the death of Geo. W. Runnels, well and favorably known throughout the length and breadth of the county, there passed away the oldest white resident and pioneer of the Okanogan country. He came to what is now known as Okanogan county many, many years ago, at a date prior to the arrival of the late Okanogan Smith. He made his home at Keller, on the south half of the Colville Indian reservation, for years. He leaves a number of children, most, if not all of them residents of the county, among them being Mrs. William Best, Mrs. Henry Staples, Mrs. Val Haynes, Mrs. Harry Hazelhurst, Mrs. Floyd Wickersham, and, we believe, several sons.
The deceased was of that hardy, venturesome army of argonauts who came out of the east into the almost unknown west, when the country was primeval, where only the native red man and wild beasts held the land, and hewed out the way for the great march of civilization that has peopled the west and turned the erstwhile wilderness into prosperous and happy homes. It has been the privilege of few men to see the wonderful changes wraught in a new country that George Runnels witnessed from the time he first came into the northwest a sturdy, eager, hopeful young man, to the day of his death at an advanced old age. He, and other forerunners of the tide of immigration that headed toward the setting sun, may never have dreamed of the changes that a comparatively few years would bring about in the development of the west, but it was given to Mr. Runnels to live long enough to see that marvelous transformation.
During all of the years of his residence in this country the deceased won the confidence and good will not only of the natives, but also of the white men who followed his footsteps and have since crowded the Indian almost entirely out of his lawful heritage, by his fair dealing and sturdy adherance to truth and honesty.
We regret that we have not the data at hand to give a more complete report of his life, activities, adventures and anticedents.
The Oroville Weekly Gazette - Oroville, Washington - November 23, 1917

George Rupp  Added 6/30/06
Death Summons George Rupp
Crossed Plains Three Times with Ox Team Before Railroad Era
George Rupp, aged 82, and one of the earliest pioneers of the West, died at the home of his son, J. L. Rupp, near Chesaw last Wednesday. The funeral was held at Chesaw last Friday. Geo. Pratt preached the funeral sermon; the services being conducted by Undertaker V.G. Grove. George Rupp was born at Wabash, Indiana, August 24, 1837. On October 8, 1868 he was united in marriage to Frances A. Bell, who died in the year 1883. To this union were born five children-J.L. Rupp of Chesaw, Albert Rupp of Grand Junction, Colorado, Homer Rupp (deceased), Hattie Rupp (deceased) and Ollie Rupp of Lincoln, Nebraska. The deceased also leaves four brothers and one sister.
He was a member of the Christian church, having joined at Elliot, Iowa about 25 years ago. George Rupp was one of the early pioneers of the West, having made three trips across the plains to California by ox team before the day of trans-continental railroads.
The Molson Leader - Molson, Washington - January 21, 1920
Submitted by Dorothy Petry


©2006-2007. Judi's Genealogy. All rights reserved.