Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.

     JOHN SCHAFER is one of the men who promptly stepped forward to fight back the hordes of Rebels when the Union was in danger of being rent asunder by treasonable men.  He fought long and well, for which he deserves much credit.  He is now a substantial citizen of Okanogan county, and resides one mile southwest from Kipling postoffice.
     John Schafer was born on November 3, 1840, near Fulda, Germany, the son of Conrad and Katherine Schafer.  There were nine children in the family and part of the family came to the United States in 1856 and the balance in 1857.  Settlement was made in Muscatine, Iowa, and the parents have died long since.  Mr. Schafer received a good educational training in the fatherland and was engaged for various employers in this country until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in Company A, Second Iowa Cavalry, under General Pope.  He fought at New Madrid, Island Number 10, Fort Pillow, Shiloh and Corinth.  He was in almost constant service in various other battles and skirmishes, serving under Grant and Sheridan, and being severly wounded at the battle of Iuka.  He was also at the second battle of Corinth.  He fought and skirmished against Price, Chalmers, Fitzhugh Lee, Forest and others, sometimes being in almost constant service day and night.  At the battle of Tripalo, Mississippi, he received a shot in his head and one in his right side and is carrying the bullet in his side yet.  For two months he was in the hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, where he nearly lost his life. On many occasions Mr. Schafer was surrounded and in great peril from the enemy, but as he was a bold fighter, he always managed to escape.  The scenes of blood and carnage became familiar to him and he endured all the great hardships of the soldier's life.  At the end of his term of service he reenlisted and altogether was in active service four years.  At the present time he is receiving a pension of seventeen dollars per month.  In 1866 Mr. Schafer crossed the plains with ox teams to Salt Lake, then followed prospecting in Arizona and various other places.  He did mining there for seven years, then went to Stekeen, Alaska, in 1874, after which he engaged in the stock business in western Oregon.  In 1880 he went to Ainsworth, Washington, and engaged in mercantile business.  In all of his ventures he was successful.  After this he was in Florence, Elk City, Orofino, and Coeur d'Alene, and did business in Moscow and was doing well until 1893, when the panic came, which involved him, and he lost his entire holdings.  Upon the opening of the north half of the reservation, on February 20, 1896, he came hither and has remained here since.  When settlement was allowed he took his present claim by soldier's homestead and has received a patent for the same.  Mr. Schafer has a wife and one child, Pauline.  The latter died on August 26, 1903, being a little past twelve years of age.