Wehef  
 
 

Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.


     FREDERICK P. WEHE, more familiarly known known as Major Wehe, is one of the well known and substantial men of Okanogan county.  He was Major of a regiment of cadets and has since borne the title.  Mr. Wehe is occupied in mining and owns an excellent property all by himself.  He has, in addition, stock in the Wehe consolidated and in the Nighthawk company, besides various other stocks and prospects.
     Frederick P. Wehe was born on February 2, 1836, in Prussia, Germany, the son of John P. and Elnore (DeBellor) Wehe, natives of Prussia.  The father was born in 1795, and was drum major in the battle of Waterloo, in 1815.  He also was a collector of revenue and a prominent man in his country.  The mother was of French extraction, her father being General DeBellor.  They came to the United States in 1839 and the following year located in Milwaukee.  At the age of fourteen our subject went to New York on board a vessel as cabin boy and worked his way around Cape Horn and to San Francisco to see his brother.  Failing to find him he came back in the same capacity, then went to steamboating on the lakes.  He rose to the office of steward, which he held for six years, on the Propeller and Mayflower.  He enlisted at the first call for three months, in the Civil War, enrolling at St. Louis.  He participated in the battles of camps Jackson and Booneville.  On September 16, 1861, he re-enlisted in Company A, Second Missouri Cavalry, for three years.  During these years he was in almost constant action in Missouri and Arkansas, fighting bushwhackers and guerillas.  He participated in the battle of Little Rock and received two wounds.  Mr. Wehe was appointed quartermaster and senior vice commander of the Philip Sheridan Post of the G. A. R., in Milwaukee, and is now a member of the Robert Chevas post.  After the war Mr. Wehe gave his attention to the boot and shoe business in Milwaukee until 1879, in which year he went to Leadville and engaged in mining.  Later he did collecting until 1891, when he came west to his present place, arriving here in June.  Three brothers had preceded him and are named as follows, Albert C., Frederick P., and August M. From the four the postoffice received the name of Weheville.
     On November 1, 1865, Mr. Wehe married Mrs. Julia Bonniwell in Milwaukee.  Four children have been born to them, as follows, Albert F., Eugene F., John E., and Mabel Chapman.