Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
LYMAN W. WILLARD, M. D.
This popular physician of Loomis needs no introduction to the people of
Okanogan county. His excellent success in the important profession
of medicine is the best encomium that could be granted by any man.
In addition to handling a large practice, the doctor is owner and operator
of a first-class drug store on the main street of Loomis, where he enjoys
a fine patronage.
Lyman W. Willard was born in Oswego, New York
on December 8, 1842. His father, Dr. Rowland Willard, was born at
Fort Ann, New York, in 1794, being a man of established ability and having
a most interesting career. It is quite in place to note some of the
salient points of the same. Dr. R. Willard was a descendant of the
noted Simon Willard, who came from England to the colonies in the seventeenth
century. He grew up on a farm, without education, and at the age
of twenty-one was unable to write his name. Then he commenced to
study. He went west about this time and located at St. Charles, Missouri,
and there rented a dwelling to a physlcian with whom he became interested
in the study of medicine. In due time he entered the Jefferson Medical
College at Philadelphia and took his degree in 1829. He rode a mule
the entire distance from that state to Chihuahua, Mexico, and there established
a practice. For eight years he did a magnificent business in his
profession. On account of a revolution and the Americans being ordered
from the country, he departed with his equipment and gold. It was
a considerable sum, packed on five mules. He started north and located
at Covington, Kentucky, where he owned an estate and had an extensive practice.
He built a Baptist college and endowed it. Owing to his strong abolitionist
principles he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and practiced medicine. There
he started the first wholesale drug store west of the Alleghany mountains.
Failing health caused him to sell this property and he went to Indiana,
where he bought a section of land from three Indians and started the town
of Oswego. He built grist mills and saw mills and operated a large
farm, besides practicing medicine. His house was a station on the
underground railway and many thrilling adventures occurred. When
the railroad came through his section the town of Warsaw was established
and owing to the treachery of his partner the doctor was caused the loss
of about fifty thousand dollars. He then removed to Warsaw and started
life again without means. He practiced there until 1860, then went
to New Jersey and finally returned to Haddonfield, New Jersey, having become
a wealthy man. The last twenty years of his life were spent in retirement,
and he died in 1884 aged ninety. In 1832, at Cincinnati, Ohio, the
doctor had married Miss Elizabeth Borland, a native of Orange county, New
York. She is still living at the old home place in Haddonfield in
her ninetieth year. Since sixteen years of age she has been a devoted
Christian, and in addition to much labor in the cause, she has been a correspondent
of several religious journals in the United States and England.
Our subject has two brothers, Dr. Nelson L.,
who practiced dentistry in London fifteen years and is now following his
profession in Washington, D. C.; Rowland, a druggist in Haddonfield, New
Jersey. Our subject began his education at Warsaw, Indiana, and continued
until he had graduated in the Trenton normal school in New Jersey.
Then came three years of careful study of medicine under a preceptor, and
in 1866 he entered the medical college at Philadelphia, whence he graduated
four years later. Eight years were spent in practice in the oil region
in Pennsylvania, then he removed to Silver Cliff, Colorado, and followed
his profession, after which he came to Saratoga Springs, New York and practiced
medicine. In 1884 he located in Spokane and one year later went to
Goldendale, Washington where he practiced until 1889. At that time
he was appointed surgeon for the Washington Central railroad after which
he started a drug business at Coulee City. Later he came to Ruby
and engaged in the drug business there until the mines shut down, and in
1884 he located in Loomis and at once opened a drug store and began practice.
He has been very successful, both in his practice and in his drug business
and is one of the prominent men of the county. Dr. Willard has a
lovely residence, besides other property. Owing to the failure of
his eye sight he has given up some of his practice but is still very active.
On October 14, 1885, Dr. Willard married Miss
Elizabeth Canfield. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian
church, while fraternally he is affiliated with the A. F. & A. M.,
and the W. W.
Since the above was written, Dr. Willard has
passed away. His death occurred on September 28, 1903, at Loomis,
and he was sincerely mourned by a large circle of friends. He was
buried under the auspices of the W. W., Loomis Camp, No. 591, and this
order is erecting a monument to his memory.