Halifax Co., VA to Montgomery Co., VA to Rabun Co., GA; Mid-Seventeen Hundreds to Late Eighteen Hundreds
Click on images for enlarged graphics:
Rabun County, Georgia
OBEDIAH DICKERSON was born 09 May, 1740 in State of Virginia (Probable). He married PATIENCE TERRY 18 February, 1771.
Children of OBEDIAH DICKERSON and PATIENCE TERRY are:
1. PEGGY DICKERSON.
2. GRIFFITH DICKERSON.
3. NANCY DICKERSON.
4. SALLY DICKERSON.
5. ELIZABETH DICKERSON.
6. ARIE DICKERSON.
7. SADI DICKERSON.
8. OBEDIAH TERRY DICKERSON, b. 20 December, 1790, State of Virginia; d. September 1873, Rabun Co., GA.
OBEDIAH TERRY DICKERSON was born 20 December, 1790 in State of Virginia, and died September 1873 in Rabun Co., GA. He married MARY POLLY DILLARD, daughter of JOHN DILLARD and RUTH VAUGHAN.
A page from the survey book of Obediah Dickerson that recorded the births of his children:
Grave marker for Obediah and Mary Dickerson at Head of Tennessee Baptist Church, Dillard, GA:
Children of OBEDIAH DICKERSON and MARY DILLARD are:
1. EMILY POLITENA DICKERSON, b. 31 December, 1814; m. THOMAS FLEMMING, 25 November, 1838, Rabun Co., GA.
2. CYNTHIA ARZELIA DICKERSON, b. 01 July, 1816; m. THOMAS WELBORN, 18 April, 1839, Rabun Co., GA.
3. WILLIAM TERRY DICKERSON, b. 20 August, 1817, State of North Carolina; m. (1) CAROLINE KEENER, 22 February, 1841, Rabun Co., GA; m. (2) ADELINE KEENER, 29 November, 1847, Rabun Co., GA.
4. JOHN DILLARD DICKERSON, b. 27 June, 1819, State of North Carolina; m. REBECCA WEBB, 23 January, 1842, Rabun Co., GA.
5. RUTH JANE DICKERSON, b. 15 July, 1820, State of North Carolina; d. 15 October, 1883; m. JASPER HOPPER, 29 January, 1843, Rabun Co., GA.
6. PATIENCE MARIAH DICKERSON, b. 01 December, 1821; m. WILLIAM ALLEN.
7. MARGARET MALINDA DICKERSON, b. 13 December, 1823, State of North Carolina; d. 22 December, 1882, State of Georgia; m. JOHN DOUGLAS "JACK" RITCHIE, 12 March, 1843, Rabun Co., GA.
8. JAMES HERVEY DICKERSON, b. 13 July, 1825.
9. POLLY ADELINE DICKERSON, b. 18 March, 1827; m. RUFUS KEENER, 30 September, 1852, Rabun Co., GA.
10. ELIZABETH ELVIRA DICKERSON, b. 11 March, 1829, State of Georgia; d. 18 November, 1919, Rabun Co., GA (Probable); m. JAMES MADISON RITCHIE, Abt. 1856.
Elizabeth and James M. Ritchie and family:
11. HORACE FRANKLIN DICKERSON, b. 13 February, 1831.
12. NANCY CARALINE DICKERSON, b. 12 March, 1832; m. THOMAS POWELL.
By profession, Obediah Terry Dickerson was a surveyor; he laid out Rabun County, Georgia and the town of Clayton's lots. He was Rabun County surveyor 1832-1846.
Representative pages from the survey book of Obediah Dickerson:
Estate of Obediah Terry Dickerson:
BOOK 1; PP. 57 APPRAISAL; RABUN CO., GA
Appraise Bill and Summary of the goods and chattles of the Estate of O. T. Dickerson, Deceased
1 Wash pot 1.00
2 Small pots 1.00
1 Skillet lead? and tea kittle 1.00
1 Plow and mold boards 1.00
1 hand saw .75
1 Plow and Chisel .25
3 Chairs .60
1 Bed Sted & pare of hames .50
1 Brier Scythe .75
1 Umberella? & Saddle Pockets .10
1 Trim Square & Razor 1.00
1 Lot of Delph & Sundries .75
1 Trunk .10
1 Lot of Books 5.00
1 Table and Bucket .75
1 Bed and Furniture 10.00
1 Bed & Furniture 10.00
1 Bed Stead? .50
1 Chest .30
1 Scythe and Cradle 1.50
1 Drawing & Auger .50
1 Ax .75
1 Lot of Land containing 499
acres more or less in the
1st District, No. 7 400.00
We do Certify as far as was produced to us by the administrator, ^and that we was sworn to our duty, or came to our knowledge the above contains a true appraisement of the goods, chattles and credits of the Estate of O. T. Dickerson, Deceased to the best of our judgment.
Given under our hands and official signatures Aug 15th, 1874
Appraisers: Jesse? (-) Rickman; Wm. N. Moore; Riley B. Ritchie; P. L. Garland
Record of Sales 1870-1881; BK "B"; PP 30 and 33; Rabun Co., GA
PP 30: Sale Bill of the Perishables, Etc.
Property of O. T. Dickerson, Deceased
H. V. Moore
J. B. Dillard
The above is the full amount of all the Perishable Property that could be Produced of the Estate of O. T. Dickerson, Deceased. Given under my hand and seal this the 15th of August 1874.
James M. Ritchie
Administrator on The Estate of O. T. Dickerson
PP. 33: Sale Bill: Real Estate
Sale bill of the Real Estate of O. T. Dickerson Lying Rabun Co., Georgia. Returned by James M. Ritchie, Admr.
1 Lot of land No. 7 in the 1st District of said County bid off by Wm. T. Dickerson at $195.00.
State of Georgia
Before me Personally came James M. Ritchie, admr. on the Estate of O. T. Dickerson, Deceased who being duly Sworn says that the foregoing sale bill is just and true, sworn to and Subscribed this March 1st 1874.
James M. Ritchie, Admr.
J. W. Green, Ordinary
Administration of O.T. Dickerson Estate: Book B, PP. 29, Court of Ordinary, Rabun Co., GA; 1870-1888
Court of Ordinary; July Term 1874
State of Georgia
O. T. Dickerson, late of said county in which he died resident having lately departed this Life intestate possessed of a large Estate real and personal and James M. Ritchie of said County having at a regular term of said Court been vested with the Administration on the Estate of said O. T. Dickerson on Condition of him giving bond and security according to the direction of this Court and taking the usual Oath of office and said James M. Ritchie having fully Complyed with the direction (?) of the Court this is to show that said James M. Ritchie is fully Empowered and required to do and perform all of the duties of an Administrator to Administer according to Law all of the Estate of said O.T. Dickerson and to ask and demand and recover all said O.T. Dickerson's claims to pay all of his Obligations so far as this Estate will Extend and the residue pay out to the Lawful heirs of O.T. Dickerson to make all proper returns inventorys appraisements and whatever Else this duty as such Administrator the Law directs him to do.
In witness whereof I have hereto set my hand and seal of office July 6, 1874. J. W. Green, Ordinary
More information on descendants of this family is available. Please email us. firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to Index
Original background graphics by Elaine Randall English
Copyright ã Elaine Randall English, 1999-2002