State of North Carolina to State of South Carolina to State of Kentucky to Copiah Co., MS to Panola Co., MS; Late Seventeen Hundreds to Late Eighteen Hundreds
Click on images for enlarged graphics:
Trigg Co., KY Panola Co., MS
Walter Thetford died before November 1767 in Orange Co., NC. He married Rebecca Unknown.
Children of Walter Thetford and Rebecca Unknown are:
1. Simon Thetford, born about 1755 in the State of North Carolina and died before 17 September 1827 in Trigg Co., KY.
2. Josias Thetford, born about 1755 in the State of North Carolina and died after 1807 in the State of Georiga (Probable). Josias married Elizabeth Unkown.
3. William Thetford, born in the State of North Carolina and died after 10 October 1809 in Hancock Co., GA (Probable). William married Margaret Unknown.
4. Deborah Thetford, born in the State of North Carolina. Deborah married William Williams before August 1767.
The Will of Walter Thetford of Orange Co., NC
In the Name of God Amen the thirteenth Day of August in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Sixty seven
I Walter Thedford of the County of Orange and Province of North Carolina, being at this present weak of body tho sound of mind and memory, Thanks be to almighty God for the same, and calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, do hereby make and Ordain my last will and Testament in manner as followeth
Principally and first I reccommend my soul to God that gave it me. Secondly, I reccommend my Body to the Earth to be buried in a Christian like and Decent manner at the Descretion of my Executors hereafter named.
I will that all my just debts and funeral expenses be levied and paid out of my estate
I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Rebecca one third of my whole estate during her life of what is remaining after the discharge of my debts.
I give and bequeath unto my eldest son Josias the improvement whereon I now live. To him and his heirs and assigns.
I give and bequeath to my son in law, William Williams two hundred acres of land on the upper part of the survey where he lives on Stony Creek, to him & his heirs and assigns.
I give and bequeath unto my son William the remainder part of the survey on Stony Creek, being two hundred acres of land more or less, to him and his heirs and assigns.
I give and bequeath unto my son Simon the improvement where my son Josisas now lives. Provided he the said Simon remains on the premises or to dispose of it into the family.
I give and bequeath unto my daughter Deborah one cow and calf. Together with an equal part of my personal estate to her and her heirs and assigns.
I also constitute and appoint my beloved wife Rebecca and my eldest son Josias whole and sole executors of this my last will and testament revoking and disallowing all former wills made by me and this only to remain my last will. In witness whereof the said Walter Thedford hath hereunto set his hand and affixed his seal the day and year first above written.
Walter (X) Thedford
Signed Sealed Published
Pronounced in the Presence of
Abigail Bracken, John Baker
Orange County, November Court 1767, The Execution of this will was duly proved in open court by the oath of John Baker a subscribing evidence thereto and was ordered to be recorded.
Test. Francis Nash, C.C.
Simon Thetford, born about 1755 in the State of North Carolina and died before 17 Sep 1827 in Trigg Co., KY. He married Unknown.
Children of Simon Thetford and Unknown were:
1. Gabriel Thetford, born about 1783 in the State of South Carolina and died about 1859 in Panola Co., MS.
2. John Thetford. John married Lyda or Lydia Unknown.
3. Josias Thetford.
4. Matilda Thetford. Matilda married John Denson on 05 June 1819 in Caldwell Co., KY.
5. Rebecca Thetford, born about 1790 in the State of South Carolina. Rebecca married James Bannister on 02 February 1811 in Caldwell Co., KY.
6. Nancy Thetford, born about 1791 and died after 1850 in Gibson Co., TN. Nancy married John R. Thetford on 27 April 1812 in Caldwell Co., KY.
Will written 08 Jan 1826, probated 17 Sep 1827, Trigg Co., KY
WILL BOOK A, Page 129
Will of SIMON THETFORD, deceased
In the name of God, Amen. I, Simon Thetford, of the county of Trigg and State of Kentucky, being sound of mind and memory, but calling to mind the mortality of my body do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament as follows (To wit) First, I give to Josiah Thetford money and property to the amount of eighty-one dollars and 25 cents. Secondly, I give Gabriel Thetford my money and property in the amount of eighty-two dollars and 50 cents. To James Bannister in property (only) to the amount of sixty dollars. The land, goods and chattels to be sold after my decease and an equal division of my Estate made to my wife and all my children. Note, the legacies as above mentioned have been already given and when as equal distribution is made, the above items of money and property is to be taken into the amount. Note, Josiah Thetford, Gabriel Thetford and James Bannister have received the sums of property and money as above mentioned. I appoint James Bannister and Capt. Issac Gray, Executors to this my last Will and Testament. As witnesses my hand and seal this eighth day of January 1826.
Simon (X) Thetford (his mark)
John Mabry, Abigail Johnston, Elijah Mabry
Will produced to said Trigg County Court for probate on 17th day of September 1827, and was proven in open Court and recorded.
Gabriel Thetford was born about 1783 in State of South Carolina and died about 1859 in Panola Co., MS. Gabriel married 1) Unknown before 17 March 1809, 2) Mary Polly Jenkins on 28 October 1809 in Christian Co., KY, 3) Betsy Knight on 13 April 1823 in Caldwell Co., KY and 4) Elizabeth Wills or Wells on 27 March 1825 in Copiah Co., MS.
Grave of Elizabeth Thetford:
Child of Gabriel Thetford and Unknown is:
1. William M. Thetford, born 17 March 1809 in the State of Georgia and died 25 November 1880 in Panola Co., MS. William married 1) Sarah Harriet Minnie Littlefield on 19 October 1828 in Gibson Co., TN and 2) Mary Ann E. Unknown before 1852.
Children of Gabriel Thetford and Mary Jenkins are:
1. Preston G. Thetford, born 16 July 1812 in the State of Kentucky and died 15 January 1885 in Copiah Co., MS. Preston married Mary G. Polly Trim on 21 July 1836 in Copiah Co., MS.
2. Joseph Thetford, born about 1811.
3. Peavey Thetford, died about 1834 in Copiah Co., MS (Probable). Peavey married William Hamilton Trim on 24 January 1827 in Copiah Co., MS.
Children of Gabriel Thetford and Elizabeth Will(s) are:
1. Lydia Margaret Thetford, born 15 April, 1826 in Copiah Co., MS and died 24 January, 1908 in Panola Co., MS. Lydia married Thomas Moore on 23 October, 1845 in Copiah Co., MS.
Lydia Margaret Thetford Moore:
2. John Q. Thetford, born about 1829 in the State of Mississippi.
3. Mary A. Thetford, born about 1830 in the State of Mississippi.
4. Sarah A. Thetford, born 23 March, 1831 in State of Mississippi and died 10 September 1905 in Panola Co., MS.
5. George Washington Thetford, born 23 March, 1832 in the State of Mississippi and died 12 January 1904 in Panola Co., MS.
Graves of Sarah and George:
6. Albert Floyd Thetford, born 08 December 1837 in Copiah Co., MS (Probable) and died 30 March, 1917. He married Janet Tanglando McMurchy on 31 October 1866 in Claiborne Co., MS.
Grave of Albert:
Click here for photographs of the family of Albert and Janet Thetford.
7. Frances M. Thetford, born about 1838 in the State of Mississippi.
8. Marilla Thetford, born March 1844 in the State of Mississippi.
9. Martha J. Thetford, born about 1846 in the State of Mississippi.
Chapeltown Cemetery, Panola Co., MS:
08 Mar 1859
BK F, PP. 230
Probate Court Minutes
Panola Co., MS (Sardis Courthouse)
In the Settlement of the estate of Gabriel Thetford deceased
The Final Account of William Raney administrator of the estate of William* Thetford deceased having now at this term been filed docketted and presented for audition and allowance, it is ordered that Elizabeth Thetford decedentís widow, Mary Thetford, William Thetford, Sarah A. Thetford, George W. Thetford of this County be summoned to be and appear before this Court in on the fourth Monday in May next then and there to show cause if any they can why said account should not be allowed and approved, and that Preston Thetford, Joseph Thetford, Lydia Moor and Thomas Moore of Copiah County in this state be also summoned as aforesaid, and it appearing that Albert F. Thetford, Frances M. Thetford, Marilla Thetford and Martha J. Thetford are Minors and have no guardian it is ordered by the Court that Wylie B. Wooten be appointed guardian ad litem of said Minors by whom they may answer and to protect and defend their interest in this proceeding, and that said guardian ad litem be summoned as aforesaid.
30 Jun 1859
BK F, PP 365
Probate Court Minutes
Panola Co., MS (Sardis Courthouse)*
In the Settlement of the Estate of Gabriel Thetford deceased
The summons issued upon the final Settlement of Wm. Raney Administrator of decedents estate to the Sheriff of Copiah County having been returned Executed on Joseph Thetford and that the other parties not found in that County but that Preston Thetford resides in Franklin and Thomas and Lydia Moore reside in Claiborne County in this State, it is ordered that alias? Summons issue again, to them returnable to the next August term of this Court and directed to the respective Sheriffs of said Counties, and that the said answer? As to all other matters stand continued.
* (This matter was held over to the August Term of court but no record can be found that the matter was brought before the court in August, then Wednesday, 28 Sep 1859 it was continued to next court, pp. 476 and again continued, pp. 529)
More information on descendants of this family is available. Please email us. email@example.com
Back to Index
Original background graphics by Elaine Randall English
Copyright „ Elaine Randall English, 1999-2002