William Hold = Elizabeth JONES
Born 1826, Northant.
This lady owned the set of lace making bobbins at the head of this page. The bobbins have been passed down through the female line of the family (my grandmother, my mother, my eldest sister and now my mother's youngest sister who hopefully has passed them to her daughter). The bobbins with inscriptions read:
Married 16 September 1844, The Church, , Northants (registered Towcester).
Died 8 June 1892, 12 Chelmsford Street, Fulham.
WILLIAM HOLD MY LOVE YOUR LIKE A ROS.
The last is that third from the end. It is a strange statement to make about an agricultural labourer. I had high hopes that it may indicate that William Hold may have been one of His Majestys Redcoats, but there is contrary evidence to support this. If the pin did not originate with Elizabeth but with one of her female elders, then we may have a link to a William Hold (probably our Williams uncle) who indeed has a military record - WO97/624.
In 1881 she is recorded in the census as "Monthly Nurse", and old term for a Midwife.
In 1841 she may be the female servant at Barcote Cottage (HO 107 / 811 / 7)
Elizabeth's cause of death - Chronic Bronchitis 5 months, Exhaustion 7 days.
Father: John Jones
Mother: Elizabeth West
- 1845 - Ann
- 1848 - Elizabeth
- 1850 Ellen
- 1855 - Sarah
- 1858 - William
- 1860 - Harriet
_John JONES ______|
| |_Elizabeth GARDNER
| _Thomas WEST____
|__Elizabeth WEST _|
- William Hold X, Full, Bachelor, Labourer, East in this Parish, Elizabeth Jones X, 20, Spinster, Lace Maker, East in this Parish, Richard Hold, Labourer, John Jones, Labourer, Letchlade?, James Jones X, Harriet  X.
- Daventry, Northampton, Floore, Ellen, William Hold, Elizabeth Jones, Labourer, Mother X, 30 Apr 1850.
- 1851 : HO 107/1741, F21, Floore : Green Street entry 97, William Hold, Head, 27, Ag Lab, Floore, Elizabeth Hold, Wife, 26, , Whittlebury, Ann Hold, Daughter, 5, Scholar, Floore, Elizabeth Hold, Daughter, 3, Morley Yorks (Derbyshire), Sarah Kirton, Cousin, 22, Lacemaker.
- 1861 : RG 9/51, f134, Westminster : William Hold, Head, 36, Labourer, Northamptonshire, Elizabeth Hold, Wife, 35, , Northamptonshire, Elizabeth Hold, Daughter, 13, , Yorks Morley, Ellen Hold, Daughter, 10, , Northamptonshire, William Hold, Son, 3, , Westminster, Harriett Hold, Daughter, 1, , Westminster
- 1871 : RG 10/90, f82v, Chelsea : 24 Wood Street, William Hold, Head, 46, Stonemason, Hayford, Elizabeth Hold, Wife, 45, , Whittlebury, Elizabeth Hold, Daughter, 23, Domestic servant, Morley Yorks, Eleanor Hold, Daughter, 20, Domestic Servant, Floore, Alfred William Hold, Grandson.
- 1881 : RG 11/68, f4, Fulham : 15 Norfolk Terrace, William Hold, Head, 57, Mason, Willesbury Northants, Elizabeth Hold, Wife, 56, Monthly Nurse, Heyford Northants.
- 1891 : RG 12/47, f33v, Fulham : 12 Chelmsford Street, William Hold, Head, 69, Labourer, Northants, Elizabeth Hold, Wife, 66, , Northants.
- 12 Chelmsford Street, Fulham, Elizabeth, 67, Wife of William Hold General Labourer, Ch Bronchitis 5 months, exhaustion 7 days., William Hold X, 15 Chelmsford Street, Fulham, 9 Jun 1892, Fulham.