Henry Hulme and Ann Parry Jones Haslam

Henry was born August 4, 1839 at Little Heaton, Lancashire, England the son of John Wolstanhulme and Alice Barlow Hulme Haslam.His two siblings are Sarah Hulme born June 14, 1835 and William Hulme born March 10, 1837.His father died on September 8, 1840 and his mother married Joseph Eckersley on November 23, 1845.His half siblings are Emma born June 5, 1846, Sophia Elizabeth born June 8, 1848, Mary Ann born March 14, 1850, Martha born April 9, 1852, Elizabeth born July 12, 1854, George born October 6, 1857, and Alice born March 4, 1860.


He and members of his family had become converts to the LDS Church and shared a desire to become part of the Mormon community in Utah.His older brother William came to America aboard the ship Siddons departing Liverpool on February 27, 1855, arriving in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on April 20, 1855 and then on to Utah where he arrived in Salt Lake City on August 22, 1855.


Henry sailed from Liverpool aboard the ship Willaim Tapscott on May 14, 1862 arriving in New York on June 25, 1862.He was a talented musician and was able to help pay for his passage by being a bugler on the ship.After traveling from New York to Florence, Nebraska he joined a pioneer company and departed Florence on July 24, 1862 arriving in Salt Lake City on September 27, 1862.


He then joined his brother William in the Cache Valley at Wellsville, Utah where they worked and saved and made it possible for their mother, seven sisters and stepfather to come to America.William met their family in Salt Lake City and took them north to Wellsville.


Henry had been in the Cache Valley just over two years when he met a small petite girl by the name of Ann Parry Jones and on January 20, 1865 they were married in the Endowment House at Salt Lake City.This union was blessed with ten children, Jane Vilate (Lloyd), Alice (Lloyd), Henry Jones, Joseph Jones, John Jones, George Jones, William Jones, Sarah Ann, Emma Jones, and James Edward.


Ann was born August 7, 1848 at Birkenhead, Chesire, England the eldest child of Joseph Price and Jane Hughes Parry Jones.Her ten siblings are Joseph Parry born June 27, 1851, Hannah born April 9, 1853, Edward Hyrum Parry born May 24, 1855, Ellis Parry born August 6, 1857, James Parry born June 9, 1858, Daniel James born October 8, 1859, Mary Jane born February 17, 1862, Sarah Ellen born December 2, 1864, William Henry Parry born December 15, 1868, and Thomas Parry born April 5, 1871.


When Ann was very young her family moved to Wales and it was here that they met and listened to missionaries of the LDS Church.They became converts to the church in 1852 or 1853 and established a family goal of coming to America and ultimately becoming part of the Mormon community in Utah.Their dream, requiring frugality and sacrifice, became a reality on July 29, 1855 when they set sail for America on the ship Cynosure.

They arrived in New York on September 5, 1855 and shortly thereafter moved to Thomas, Pennsylvania where Annís father secured work in the coalmines.On April 1, 1856 he suffered a near fatal injury when a large rock fell and completely buried him.He was rescued after a lengthy period of time and found to have a broken back and an arm that was almost severed.The doctor said he would surely die but, through his and the familyís faith along with blessings of the Elders, he was healed and recovered.


Their dream had been only partially realized and they still had a strong desire to settle in Utah.So they left their home of six years in Pennsylvania and traveled to Florence, Nebraska where they joined Captain Horns pioneer company and began the trek west on July 1, 1861.After enduring the hardships and perils of the trails, they arrived in Salt Lake City on October 1, 1861.Annís parents did chores for Ephraim Hanks and his wife to provide for the family during their first winter in Utah.


The family moved north to Wellsville, Utah in 1862 initially living at the old fort in a small dirt roof house.Annís father was a stonecutter and mason by trade and helped build some of the early rock homes in Wellsville.Ann, being the eldest child, was compelled to return to Salt Lake City to find employment to help support the family.


Following Henry and Annís 1865 marriage, Henry worked for his brother William gathering butter and eggs from all across the Cache Valley.He would also prepare them for shipment and sale by candling the eggs, mixing the butter, and then placing the items in boxes.


He had acquired the skills of a weaver in England and he applied this trade by operating the townsí cording mill where he made yarn and woolen bats for quilting.The mill was run at night as the farmers needed the water during the day and, later on, the town decided the water was needed to raise grain in the north fields, so the cording mill was closed.


He acquired five acres of land north of Wellsville and had a team of horses, which were used for farm work as well as the familyís transportation.He also had some cows, chickens, and pigs and harvested the crops from this small farm by using a scythe, as he had no other farming equipment.


Music played an important role in the lives of Henry and the family.He sang in the Ward choir and was the Sunday school chorister for many years.He would often put the words of a poem he had heard and liked to music.His band, referred to as the Haslam band, consisted of family members both young and old and frequently played for special occasions.


On January 31, 1893, Henry suddenly died at the age of fifty-three.He had worked long hours and very hard in providing for the familyís meager existence and now left Ann with seven of their ten children still at home.Their son Henry had preceded his father in death as had daughter Jane who had married several years before her death.Daughter Alice had also married several years before her fatherís death.


With the untimely death of her husband, Ann faced a challenge that many would have found insurmountable.The foundation of her being was one of unwavering faith and immense love for not only her family, but for all her fellowmen.A bond of love unequaled existed between Ann and Henry and their children and, even with Henry gone, this bond continued to grow.She embraced the challenge and, by examples of loving patience and caring, instilled this same faith and love foundation in her children.


When their father died, the older boys sensed their responsibility and worked all kinds of jobs to help provide for the family.They seldom were able to attend a full year of school as they worked in the fields from early spring until the work was finished in the fall.A larger home was needed, so wood was hauled from the hills and soon the sons had built a two-room house.Out of necessity, all the children learned the value of work and hired out as frequently as possible.


As the year 1913 came to a close, all of Annís children had left her home and began homes of their own.For a time, she lived in Logan where her small house was across the street from son Georgeís house.Her last years were spent visiting and living with her family members.She passed away June 2, 1929 while at the home of her daughter Emma Wiser in Fairview, Idaho.




Henry H Haslam Descendants

SOURCE:Ann Jones Haslam 1848 Ė 1929 compiled by Dean H. Baxter.