S

Sadlierswells
Parish of Tipperary

Sallsquarter
Parish of Gaile

Sallybog
Parish of Kilcooly

Sallypark
Parish of Latteragh

Sandymount
Parish of Templemore

Saucestown
Parish of Peppardstown

SCADDANSTOWN (St.) or JOHNSTOWN
1837
a parish, in the barony of Middlethird,county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 3 miles S. by E. from Killenaule, on the road to Fethard; containing 772 inhabitants. It comprises 2223 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, consisting of good land under tillage and pasture, without waste or bog. There are several quarries of excellent limestone. St. Johnstown Castle, consisting of a high square tower in good preservation, is the property of James Millet, Esq., who has a modern house in the immediate vicinity. Lismortagh is the residence of John Millet, Esq.; and Mortlestown Castle is also in this parish. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, forming part of the union of Killenaule; the vicarage is appropriate to the vicars choral of Cashel. The tithes amount to 143.6.6 1/2., of which 110 is payable to the incumbent, and the remainder to the vicars choral. About 40 children are educated in the parochial school, which is aided by 12 per annum from the incumbent; the school-house and a residence for the master were built at the expense of the late Col. Pennefather. There are also three private pay schools, in which about 170 children are educated.

Scalaheen
Parish of Cordangan

Scarragh
Parish of Kilbarron

Scarrough
Parish of Donohill

Scart
Parish of Corbally

Scart East
Parish of Shanrahan

Scart West
Parish of Shanrahan

Scartana
Parish of Whitechurch

Scartbeg
Parish of Tubbrid

Scartnaglorane
Parish of Whitechurch

Scilly Island
Parish of Castletownarra

Scragg
Parish of Kilmastulla

Scraggeen
Parish of Kilvellane

Scribog
Parish of Kilbarron

Sedgemoor
Parish of Knigh

Sergeant's Lot
Parish of Relickmurry and Athassel

Seskin
Parish of Kilsheelan

Shallee
Parish of Killoscully

Shallee Upper & Lower
Parish of Killoscully

SHALEE COUGHLAN
1837
a village, in the parish of Killoscully, barony of Owney and Arra, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 6 miles E. from Newport, on the old road from Dublin to Limerick; containing 138 inhabitants. On the high land in this vicinity a lead mine was formerly worked, and about 7 tons of ore were raised containing silver in the proportion of 80oz to a ton.

Shanacloon
Parish of Bourney

Shanakill
Parish of Killavinoge

Shanakill Lower
Parish of Terryglass

Shanakill Upper
Parish of Terryglass

Shanaknock
Parish of Aghacrew

Shanakyle
Parish of Magowry

Shanavally
Parish of Cloghprior

Shanbaley
Parish of Temple-etney

Shanbally
Parish of Ballysheehan

Shanballyard
Parish of Ardfinnan

Shanballyduff
Parish of Dangandargan

Shanballyedmond
Parish of Abington

Shanballymore
Parish of Kilmucklin

Shanballynahagh
Parish of Bourney

Shandangan
Parish of Donohill

Shangarry
Parish of Mowney

Shannonhall
Parish of Dromineer

Shannonvale
Parish of Dromineer

Shanrahan
Parish of Shanrahan

Shanrahan Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 100 GV#: 88
Church of Ireland records start 1793
consists of RC parishes: Clogheen RC parish starts 1778

Shanrahan
consists of Ballyhurrow; Ballynatona; Ballysheean; Boolakennedy; Burncourt; Carriganroe; Carrigmore; Clogheen Market; Coolantallagh; Cullenagh; Cullenagh South; Doon; Garrandillon; Glencattaghan; Glengarra; Hopkinsrea; Inchnamuck; Kilcarroon; Killeatin; Knockaarum; Monaloughra; Mountanglesby; Parkaderreen; Rearoe; Rehill; Rossrehill; Scart East; Scart West; Shanrahan; Toorbeg; Toormore; Town of Burncourt; Town of Clogheen

SHANRAHAN
1837
a parish, in the barony of Iffa and Offa West, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, on the mail road from Clonmel to Cork; containing with the post-town of Clogheen, 7002 inhabitants. It comprises 13,946 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Within its limits is Shanbally Castle, the splendid mansion of Viscount Lismore, erected by Mr. Nash, of London; the demesne, which comprises 820 acres, is finely wooded, and, being situated in a valley between the Galtee and Waterford mountains, is surrounded by scenery of a grand and imposing character. His Lordship has lately erected a lodge in a situation of much beauty in a glen of the Galtees; and surrounded it with a plantation of about 150 acres; the agricultural improvements carried on under his inspection afford employment to a considerable number of persons. Rehill, the residence of William Fennell, Esq., is also in this parish. A manor court is occasionally held at that place. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, episcopally united, in 1774, to that of Templetenny, and in the gift of the Crown: the rectory is impropriate in Lord Lismore and Caesar Sutton, Esq. The tithes amount to 665, of which 415 is payable to the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar; there is a glebe of 3a.1r.20p. The gross value of the benefice, including the glebe, is 434.12.3. The church is a neat modern edifice of hewn stone, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of 1000, in 1819. In the R.C. divisions the parish, under the name of Clogheen, is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains the chapels of Clogheen and Burncourt, or Shanbally Cross. At Burncourt are the ruins of a fine old castellated mansion, originally erected by one of the barons of Ikkerin, and besieged and taken by a party of Cromwell's army: it was enclosed in a bawn or court of considerable extent, surrounded by a high wall, and with its tall gables and chimneys still forms a striking object. At Shanrahan is the burial-place of the O'Callaghan family, of which Lord Lismore is the head. Quin, the celebrated actor, is said to have been a native of this parish.

Shanvally
Parish of Terryglass

Sharragh
Parish of Dorrha

Sheehane
Parish of Roscrea

Sheelruddera
Parish of Terryglass

Shesharoe
Parish of Castletownarra

Shesheraghkeale
Parish of Nenagh

Shesheraghmore
Parish of Borrisokane

Shesheraghscanlan
Parish of Finnoe

Sheskin
Parish of Thurles

Shevry
Parish of Upperchurch

Shinganagh
Parish of Templeneiry

SHINRONE
RC Parish: Shinrone
Diocese: Killaloe
Start: b.1842 m.1842
Place Local Parish/NLI/Offaly Heritage Centre

Short Castle
Parish of Ardfinnan

Shower
Parish of Kilvellane

Shronell
Parish of Bruis

Shronell Beg
Parish of Shronell

Shronell More
Parish of Shronell

Shronell Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 101 GV#: 24
consists of RC parishes: Lattin & Cullen RC parish starts 1846

Shronell
consists of Ballinglanna; Ballycohy; Ballyconry; Barronstown (Ormond); Shronell Beg; Shronell More

SHRONELL

SHRONELL or SHRONEHILL
1837
a parish, in the barony of Clanwilliam, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 3 miles S.W. from Tipperary; containing 1006 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2747 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; a portion is arable, but the greater part pasture. Ballinard is the residence of W. Chadwick, Esq.; Shromehill, of Clement Sadler, Esq.; Damerville, of Austin Cooper Chadwick, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. M. Clarke. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to 125; there are 5 acres of glebe, and a glebe-house. The church was built about 1808, and the tower by aid of a loan of 300, in 1818, from the late Board of First Fruits. There is a school-house, in which, however, no school is kept; it was partly built by the late Caroline Damer, who also endowed it with an acre of land. Damer's Court was built, about a century since, by John Damer,Esq.; it afterwards passed to the Earl of Dorchester, then to Lady Caroline Damer, his daughter and sole heir, and is now the property of the Earl of Portarlington. The mansion, which was a large and magnificent building, was taken down in 1776, and little remains but the offices, which are in a state of dilapidation

1889
Shronell is a rural post office in the parish of the same name, 3 miles, Irish, west by south from Tipperary. It is situated in a good butter-making district. .

Shrough
Parish of Bruis

Shyane Civil Parish
North Tipperary NGA#: 65 GV#: 70
consists of RC parishes: Thurles RC parish starts 1795

Shyane
consists of Clobanna; Coolgarrane; Rossestown

Silverfort
Parish of Magorban

Silvermines Townv
Parish of Kilmore

Silvermines
North Tipperary NGA#: GV#:
consists of RC parishes: Silvermines RC parish starts 1840

SILVERMINES
RC Parish: Silvermines or Ballinaclough Diocese: Killaloe Start: b. 1840 m.1841 Place Local Parish /NLI /Tipp. North Centre
LDS. Silvermines - Killaloe Diocese, same as NLI holdings - bapt. & marriages, 1840 - 1880
1837
SILVERMINES
a village, in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Upper Ormond, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 4 miles S. from Nenagh; on the old road from Limerick to Dublin; containing 791 inhabitants. This place takes its name from some mines which were formerly worked here under the direction of Lord William Russell and Sir Charles Brooke, who held them from the Crown, previously to the parliamentary war in 1641, when the works were destroyed, and the miners, who were chiefly foreigners, were all massacred. The lead ore extracted from these mines was exceedingly pure, and contained a larger proportion of silver than any of the Irish ores, with the exception only of those of Bangor. The mines are now the property of Lord Dunally, whose seat, Kilboy, is within a mile of the village, and from whom they are held by an English company, by whom they have been recently brought into extensive operation. Machinery of every kind requisite to facilitate the various operations have been constructed, smelting-houses erected, and already several hundred men are employed by the company. The village contains 131 houses, several of which are neatly built. Fairs are held on May 1st, June 8th, Sept. 12th, and Oct. 25th, chiefly for farming stock. The parish church of Kilmore, a neat edifice with a spire, nearly covered with ivy, ornamented with a beautifully painted window representing Faith, Hope and Charity, and containing a monument to the late Lady Dunally, is situated in the village; in which are also a plain neat R.C. chapel, a dispensary, a charitable loan fund, and a poor's fund for the parishes of Kilmore and Dolla.

Skeagh
Parish of Loughmoe East

Skehahagh North
Parish of Killea

Skehahagh South
Parish of Fennor

Skehanagh
Parish of Clonoulty

Skehanagh North
Parish of Fennor

Skehanagh South
Parish of Killea

Skehananagh
Parish of Loughkeen

Skeheenaranky
Parish of Templetenny

Sladagh
Parish of Baptistgrange

Slainstown North
Parish of Rathcool

Slatefield
Parish of Ardmayle

Slevoir
Parish of Terryglass

SLIEVARDAGH Barony
consists of - Ballingarry - - Buolick - - Cloneen - - Crohane - - Fennor - - Garrangibbon - - Grangemockler - - Graystown - - Isertkieran - - Kilcooly - - Killenaule - - Kilvemnon - - Lickfinn - - Lismalin - - Modeshil - - Mowney - - Newtownlennan - - St. Johnbaptist - - Templemichael -

Smith's Farm
Parish of Moycarky

SOLOHEAD
RC Parish: Oola & Solohead
Diocese: Cashel & Emly
Start: b. 1809 m.1810
Place Local Parish/NLI/Limerick Archives /Tipp. Heritage Unit

Solloghodbeg
Parish of Solloghodbeg

Sollohodbeg Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 102 GV#: 11
consists of RC parishes: Oola & Solohead RC parish starts 1809

Solloghodbeg
consists of Carron; Gortanerrig; Kyleagarry; Raheen Lower; Raheen Upper; Solloghodbeg

SOLLOHODBEG
1654
SOLLOGHODBEGGE (After the Meares and Bounds of the Parish)
The sd Parish lyeth in the barrony of Clanwilliam. The whole Tythe great and small of the sd. Parish belongeth to the Viccar and was worth in 1640 LI020:00:00
In the sd parish there are a hundred plantacon acres of timberwood stnading in the quarter colpe of Solloghodbegg wihtin mile to Grenane Garison. The rest of the lands of the sd. Parish are good arable medowes & champion ground.
The old brocken castle of Solloghodbegg Irrepayreable & the stumpe of a castle in Kile wanting repayre stands in the sd Parish.
The afforesd Parish contayneth sevall colpes of land heere under written (vizt) the quarter colpe of Solloghodbegg, & the halfe colpe of Kile and Raheene. The sd Parish is totally wast.
Proprietors in 1640, Denominacon of lands, Number of plant acres
Richard Butler & George English both of Solloghodbegg Irish Papists, Solloghodbegg one quarter of a colpe, 355:00:00 acres The sd. Richard Butler pprietor of the two pts of the sd qrter colpe by grant from William English Deced ffoster father to the sd Richard about sixty yeares past (as wee are informed). The sd George pprietor of the other third pt in fee by Descent from his Ancestors. On the top of Sollaghodbegg hill stands the stumpe of a castle Irepayreable. The sd land is wast wthout Improvemt.
Eustas English of Kile Gent, One quarter of a third pt of a qrter colpe of the halfe colpe of Kile & Raheene, 308:00:00 acres Wm. English and Thomas Baker, The twelfth pt of a colpe in Kile afforesd, 116:00:00 acres James English & Piers English of Gort Inerick, Pt of Kile afforesd called Gort Inericke containing the 10th pt of a colpe, 116:00:00 acres The sd Eustace, William, James and Piers English pprietors of the sd halfe colpe in fee by descent from their Ancestors being coheres. The sd Thomas Baker had a mortgage before the Rebellion of the sd Piers Englishes moytie in Gort Inerick and the twelfth pt colpe to Kile belonging to William English as wee are informed. On the lands of Ratheene stnds a stumpe of a castle out of repayre.
1837
a parish, in the barony of Clanwilliam, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 2 3/4 miles N. from Tipperary, on the road to Burris-o-leagh; containing 758 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the confines of the county of Limerick: a considerable part of it belongs to the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charities, and is chiefly in the hands of cottier sub-tenants. The soil is in general a fine loam or wet clay much in want of draining. Limestone abounds, especially at the hill of Sollohodbeg, but the management of the dairy is more attended to than tillage, as being more profitable. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Emly, forming part of the union of Cullen; the tithes amount to 110.8.10.

Sollooghodmore Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 103 GV#: 10
consists of RC parishes: Oola & Solohead RC parish starts 1809

Solloghodmore
consists of Acraboy; Ardlaman; Ballybrien; Ballygodoon; Ballykisteen; Ballyryan East; Ballyryan West; Barnanalleen; Boreen; Cauteen; Clonbrick; Clonganhue; Gortdrum; Gotinstown; Knockaneduff; Knockphelagh; Lisheenamalansa; Monard; Monatogher; Russelstown

SOLLOOGHODMORE
1837
a parish, in the barony of Clanwilliam, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 2 miles N.W. from Tipperary, on the road to Limerick; containing 2791 inhabitants. It is situated on the borders of the county of Limerick and to the south of the parish of Solloghodbeg, which it much resembles in its agricultural character: there is neither bog nor wasteland. Tillage is in a backward state; the land being deemed better adapted for pasture than grain: the farmers confine themselves very much to the management of the dairy. Much attention has been paid by Lord Stanley to the improvement of the stock, to which end he has imported several Durham bulls, which his tenants have the use of gratuitously. A copper mine was worked at Gortdrum in 1825, but the workings were soon abandoned. The seat of Lord Stanley at Ballykisteen, on the Limerick Road, is an elegant modern building , situated in a very fertile and improving part of the country, and commanding a fine view of the range of the Galtee mountains. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Emly, forming part of the union of Cullen: the tithes amount to 314.15.4 1/2. There is an R.C. chapel at the village of Sollohod. A boy's school, founded by Lord Stanley, to the master of which he allows a salary of 25 per annum, is in connection with the Board of National Education; the mistress of a girl's school, also founded by his Lordship, receives 20 pounds per annum from him: each has a house and a small plot of ground: the usual attendance at the schools is from 40 to 60 children. There are some traces of Danish encampments.

Solsborough
Parish of Nenagh

Sopwell
Parish of Uskane

Southhill
Parish of Kilruane

Spafield
Parish of St. Johnbaptist

Spital Land
Parish of Ardfinnan

Spitalfield
Parish of Fethard

Springfield
Parish of Ballingarry

Springfield Glebe
Parish of Finnoe

Springhill
Parish of Graystown

Springhouse
Parish of Kilshane

Springmount
Parish of Cloghprior

Springpark
Parish of Ballingarry

Sraduff
Parish of Dorrha

Sragh
Parish of Ballynaclogh

Srahavarrella
Parish of Clonoulty

Sruhane
Parish of Ardmayle

St Johnbaptist Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 96 GV#: 42
Church of Ireland records start Cashel Cathedral 1688 Liberties of Cashel Marriages1654
consists of RC parishes: Cashel Killenaule RC parish starts 1793 1742

St. Johnbaptist
consists of Ashwells' Lot; Attykit; Burnchurch; Cooper's Lot; Corralough; Hill's Lot; Hughes'lot East; Knockforlagh; Knocksaintlour; Lalors Lot; Lalor's Lot; Manserghshill; Owen's & Bigg's Lot; Price's Lot; Racecourse; Spafield; Stephenstown; Town of Cashel; Waller's Lot

St. Johnstown
Parish of St. Johnstown

St Johnstown Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 97 GV#: 46
consists of RC parishes: Killenaule RC parish starts 1742

St. Johnstown
consists of Kilkenny Beg; Lismoynan; St. Johnstown

St Mary's Clonmel
South Tipperary NGA#: GV#:
consists of RC parishes: St Mary's Clonmel RC parish starts 1790

St Mary's Clonmel Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 98 GV#: 114
Church of Ireland records start 1766
consists of RC parishes: St Mary's Clonmel Powerstown RC parish starts 1790 1808

St. Marys Clonmel
consists of Ardgeeha; Borheenduff; Burgagery Lands East; Burgagery Lands West; Cooleens; Gortmaloge; Powerstown Demesne; Town of Clonmel


St. Patrick's Rock
Parish of St. Patricksrock

St Patricksrock Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 99 GV#: 40
consists of RC parishes: Cashel RC parish starts 1793

St. Patricksrock
consists of Ballycomisk; Ballydoyle; Ballyfowloo; Ballyknock; Ballymackane; Ballypadeen; Boscabell; Carrollspark; Clashalaher; Deansgrove; Freaghduff; Garryandrew North; Garryandrew South; Garryard; Gortmakellis; Kilpheak; Kilscobin; Knockantemple; Lyonstown; Monadreela; Monagee; Monameagh; Rathcoun; Rathordan; St. Patrick's Rock; Thurlesbeg; Town of Cashel; Windmill

Stangs
Parish of Grangemockler

Stephenstown
Parish of St. Johnbaptist

Stephenstown Beg
Parish of Railstown

Stereame
Parish of Nenagh

Stillimity
Parish of Mora

Stokaun
Parish of Templenoe

Stonepark
Parish of Clonbeg

Stonestown
Parish of Loughkeen

Stoneyacre
Parish of Modreeny

Stook
Parish of Aghnameadle

Stradavoher
Parish of Thurles

STRADBALLY or CASTLE-CONNEL
1837
a post-town and parish, partly in the barony of Owney and Arra, county of Tipperary, and partly in that of Clanwilliam, county of Limerick, but chiefly in the county and city of Limerick, and province of Munster, 5 3/4 miles N.E. from Limerick, and 88 S.W. by W. from Dublin; containing 5616 inhabitants, of which number, 1313 are in the town. This place, which was anciently called Carrig-Cnuil, derives its name from an ancient fortress, originally a seat of the O'Briens, Kings of Thomond, and in which a grandson of Brian Boroihme is said to have been treacherously murdered by the reigning prince. At the period of the English invasion this was a fortress of some eminence. In 1199 King John granted five knights' fees to William de Burgh, a baron of the family Fitz-Aldelm, in which was included this parish, with a condition that he should erect a castle therein. This and the adjoining parishes were the first places in Limerick of which the English obtained possession. In 1578 Quee!
n Elizabeth wrote letters of condolence to William de Burgh for the loss of his eldest son, who was slain in a skirmish with the Earl of Desmond, and the same year created him Baron of Castle-Connel, and gave him a yearly pension of 100 marks. In the war of 1641 Lord Castle-Connel forfeited his estate and title, which were restored on the accession of James II; the title became extinct in 1691, but the estate continues in the De Burgh family. In 1651 a strong garrison was placed in the castle by Gen. Ireton, while on his march to blockade Limerick. It was strongly garrisoned by the troops of James II, in 1690, but on the 12th of August, in that year, was surrendered at discretion by Capt. Barnwell to Brigadier Steuart. On the retreat of the English army, it was again garrisoned by James's troops, which in the following year defended it for two days against the Prince of Hesse Darmstadt, and after its surrender it was blown up by order of Gen. De Ginkell.

The town, which is pleasantly situated on the eastern bank of the Shannon, which separates Limerick from Clare, lies a mile and a half west of the Dublin road, and in 1831, contained 178 houses, many of which are handsome villas and cottages of modern erection. It is resorted to during the summer, for the benefit of its spa, the waters of which resemble those of Spa in Germany. The soil around it is of a calcareous nature, and the sediment of the water has been successfully applied for the cure of ulcers, while the waters have proved very efficacious in scorbutic affectations, bilious complaints, obstructions in the liver, jaundice, and worms; they are a strong chalybeate, having a mixture of absorbent earth and marine salt. Treatises have been written on their nature, and many persons have been stated to have been cured by them, after ineffectually trying the continental spas. The waters rise from between limestone and basalt, filtering through a thin layer of blue unctuous e!
arth, and yielding a constant supply. The spring is enclosed in a mean building, and the surplus water flows into the Shannon. There are two good hotels and a number of commodious lodging-houses in the town; a coach runs daily to Limerick, and there is a daily post. A constabulary police force has been stationed here, and petty sessions are held every alternate Monday. There is a patent for fairs on Easter-Monday, June 1st, July 16th, and Oct. 4th, of which only the first is now held.
The parish comprises 5850 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about three-fourths of which are arable and pasture land, and the remainder is common pasture and reclaimable bog on the bank of the Shannon: it contains also a large undefined portion of the Bog of Allen. The lands are principally under tillage; the soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture rapidly improving by the introduction of green crops; lime stone is abundant. The bulk of the inhabitants are agriculturists, or dependent on the visitors to the spa*; but many obtain employment in cutting turf and conveying it to Limerick, particularly for its large distillery; River Lawn, a mile below the town, is an extensive bleach-green and mill; and at Annacotty, near Mount Shannon, one of the first paper-mills established in Ireland was erected by Mr. Joseph Sexton. The parish is connected with the county of Clare by an ancient structure called O'Brien's Bridge, originally built by one of the royal line of Thomond, and in later times often strongly contested by the various parties who strove to obtain possession either of the important fortress of Castle-Connel, or the wealthy city of Limerick. It was partially destroyed by the Earl of Ormond, in 1556, but was soon afterwards restored. The Shannon is not navigable here until within about a mile of the bridge, where the canal from the Clare side joins the river, there being many shoals, rocks and cascades in its channel. It abounds with trout and salmon, of which latter there is a valuable fishery at the waterfall called the Leap. The falls here are numerous, there being a descent of 50 feet in less than three miles, and add greatly to the beauty of the scenery, which is embellished with the mansions and parks of the neighboring gentry, and the ruins of three ancient castles , that of Castle-Connel being in the parish, and those of Newcastle and Castle-Troy being distinctly visible from its higher parts, while the Keeper mountains form a noble background on the north-east. The climate is good, the air remarkably pure, and great improvements have recently been made by reclaiming bog, etc., particularly by the proprietors of the Limerick distillery. Among the seats, the most distinguished is Mount Shannon, the residence of the Earl of Clare, and one of the finest mansions in the south of Ireland: the hall and library are particularly entitled to notice, and the grounds are laid out with great taste. Not far distant is Hermitage, the beautiful seat of Lord Massy; Caherline, of W.H. Gabbett, Esq.; Prospect, of Godfrey Massy, Esq.; New Garden, of massy Rives, Esq.; Shannon View, of W. White, Esq.; Belmont, of Capt. Stackpoole; Woodlands, of J. Tuthill, Esq.; Castle-Connel House, of H.O. Callaghan, Esq.; Stormont, of Mrs. Kelly; Doonass, of Sir Hugh Dillon Massy, Bart.; Fairy Hall, of H.O. Bridgeman, Esq.; and Mulcaher, of the Rev. J. Crampton. A handsome range of well-built houses, called the Touline, three stories high, with projecting roofs, was erected here in 1812, by the late W. Gabbett, Esq., from a fund raised by subscription; but not answering the expectation of the subscribers, they have been sold. Opposite these buildings is an island of about four acres, connected with the main land by a causeway 23 feet wide. About two miles north of Castle-Connel is the small but pretty village of Montpelier, which has a sulphureous spa of great virtue in ulcerous and cutancous diseases; but in consequence of other water being allowed to mingle with it, its efficacy has been diminished and few resort to it.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, episcopally united, in 1803, to the rectory and vicarage of Kilnegaruff, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to 244.12.3 3/4., and of the benefice to 516.7.1 1/2. The church, erected in 1809, by aid of a grant of 250 from the late Board of First Fruits, was greatly enlarged in 1830, and is now a beautiful cruciform edifice with a lofty octagonal spire. there is no glebe-house, but a glebe of 2a.0r.14p.. The R.C. union is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is a large plain edifice. The parochial schools are chiefly supported by the rector; and there are a female school near Mount Shannon, supported by Lady Isabella Fitzgibbon, and an infant's school supported by voluntary contributions. In these schools are about 90 boys and 180 girls; and there are four private schools, in which are about 260 children. A dispensary was established in 1819. The only remains of the ancient and strong fortress of Castle-Connel are part of the tower and fragments of some other parts, situated on an isolated limestone rock, having an area of 42 yards by 27 1/2. The only other vestige of antiquity is one the island opposite the Tontine, which was formerly called Inis-Cluan; it consists of the remains of a friary, founded in 1291 by Renald de Burgh, for Franciscans, and has lately been converted into out-houses to a handsome newly erected cottage.
* The spa was essentially out-of-business by 1837

Strogue
Parish of Templeree

Suirville
Parish of Relickmurry and Athassel

Summerhill
Parish of Glenkeen

Suttonrath
Parish of Caher

Synone
Parish of Ballysheehan