Taylor Family

Generation Ten

150. Mollie10 Madison (James9, Frances Thompson8Taylor, James7, James6, John5, Thomas4, Thomas3, Rowland2, John1); married William Davis.

The only known child of Mollie10 Madison and William Davis was:

157. Thornton10 Taylor (Francis9, James8, James7, James6, John5, Thomas4, Thomas3, Rowland2, John1); born 1 Mar 1760 at Rapidan, Caroline Co., VA;164,165,166 married Elizabeth H. Minor; died 1832 at VA.167,168

Thornton Taylor served in Revoluion as an aide to Francis Tarford, became an offiecer in Virginia Line and served until the end of the War (page 1064 VAR. Soldiers of 1776 Vol 3 by Burgess). Ensign 4th VA 15th Aug 1777, Lt Ret 30th Sep 1778.

From "Gone to Georgia" by Stewart, page 103

Thornton (see Thornton Taylor, VA., Elizabeth, sons Woodford and Thornton, BLW! 1901-150) evidently was of the family in Caroline County, VA., descended from James Taylor, born 1635, who settled 1665 in the area that became Caroline County, and whose descendants included President Zachary Taylor. In this family, Francis Taylor, Caroline sheriff until 1765, had a son Thornton who after a decline in Francis fortunes, was apprenticed to Anthony New in 1773; he was taxed in Caroline County 1782.

DAR Records #669 Elizabeth Minor & Thornton Taylor, Nicky Minor, 11620 Gravelly Lake Dr. SW, Tacoma, Wash. 98499.

From The Virginia Genealogist, Jul-Sep 1976, Vol. 20 #3:

Rank Dep F Com Mil Stores

When taken: 12 May 1780, by Sir Hy. Clinton, paroled June 1781 by James Frazier.

Virginia Pension Abstracts by McGhee V20 pg 85.169

Elizabeth H. Minor was born circa 1768.170

The two known children of Thornton10 Taylor and Elizabeth H. Minor were as follows:

164. General James10 Taylor (James9, James8, James7, James6, John5, Thomas4, Thomas3, Rowland2, John1); born 19 Apr 1769 at Midway, Caroline Co., VA;174 married Keturah Moss Leitch 15 Nov 1795 at Newport, Campbell Co., KY;175 died 8 Nov 1848 at Newport, Campbell Co., KY, at age 79.176

Wealthy and influential in Newport Kentucky. General in War of 1812.

The Register of the Kentucky State Historical Society, Frankfort, Ky. May, 1920, Vol. 18, No. 53. "Spring Hill," Oldham County, Ky. The Home of Major William Berry Taylor by a Great-Granddaughter, Alice Elizabeth Trabue. pp. 23-29.

With the incoming of automobiles, and thereby necessary improvements of roads, there is a cry of "back to the soil," and a purchase of farm such as has neaver been known since our pioneer days. I am wondering how many old estates of pioneer settlers have remained in one family for over a century? It is with hope that by this article I can challenge the records of others estates, that by so doing, the history of Kentucky, so dear to our hearts, may be written and preserved for all time.

It should be of interest to many to learn something of "Spring Hill" in Oldham County, near Floyd's Fork, the home of the pioneer settler, Major William Berry Taylor, 800 acres of which was purchased a year ago for $100 an acre by Mr. Samuel A. Glover, from Mrs. Susan Taylor Clore, Miss Alice Taylor and Mrs. Gibson Taylor. This was bought one hundred and twenty-two years before for $1.33 1-3 an acre. And of greater interest should be the personal history of Major Taylor, whose nobility of character, mental ability and generosity of nature were proverbial throughout the community in which he lived. He was a surveyor, following the profession of his great grandfather, who was Surveyor General of the Colony of Virginia. He accumulated many thousand acres of land extending in several directions, besides huge tracts in Clark County, Ky., into which locality his parents, Lieut. and Mrs. Jonathan Taylor, removed in the sumer of 1790 from Botetoute [sic] Co., Va., and settled a few miles from the present site of Winchester, Ky. The place is called "Basin Spring" because of the natural basin formation. The old house has long since gone. see diary of Col. Francis Taylor.) So vast were the estates of Maj. Taylor, he was nicknamed "Big Foot Billy," said "to have owned all the land he put his foot on."

He was born in Virginia, and according to the noted diary of his uncle, Col. Francis Taylor, of Revolutionary fame, "he remained in Botetoute Co., Va., until the 23d of Dec., 1796, when he removed to Kentucky and bought of his uncle one thousand acres on Floyd's Fork, in Shelby County (Oldham not having been formed until 1823), paying 400 pounds or $1,333.33 of our currency for the land." This tract was an original grant to Col. Francis Taylor for Revolutionary services, and was at the time of its purchase 1796, almost entirely a wilderness. Shelby was formerly a part of Jefferson County.

"Patrick Henry Esq., Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia, to all whom these presents shall come greeting. Know ye that by virtue and in consideration of a land office treasury, warrant No. 3967 and issued the 16 day of March, 1780, there is granted by the said Commonwealth unto Francis Taylor a certain tract or parcel of land containing one thousand acres by survey bearing date the 8th of November, 1783, lying and being in the county of Jefferson bounded as followeth, to-wit: 'Beginning at John Taylor's N. E. corner on the waters of Floyd's Fork running with said John Taylor's line south 70 degrees:' here followeth description in full.

"Signed by Patrick Henry at Richmond, Virginia, 27th of January, 1785. Recorded in Virginia grants, book No. 6, page 211, in the land office of Kentucky, Frankfort, Ky."

Major Taylor upon taking possession, had built of logs a temporary dwelling house. A year later he returned to Virginia, bringing back with him his wife, a negro woman and two negro men. The party came by boat from Virginia to Maysville, and from there rode the rest of the way on horseback. While crossing a creek, the negro woman, who as riding behind a man, fell off into the swollen stream and was drowned. Fortunately for our young and courageous ancestress, one of the men was old "uncle Jacob" by name, a most trusted and valuable servant. The remainder of the servants and possessions followed a little later. This devoted old man Jacob often had entrusted to his care hundreds of dollars at a time. Typical of the ultimate relation between master and servant of that day, an amusing story is told of his once having said, "Marse William and I brought a lot of hogs out from Virginia, but the bars killed and ate the hogs up, then Marse William and I killed and ate the bars up."

A very few years thereafter, about the beginning of the 19th century, Major Taylor built the present brick house, the elegance of which, according to the pioneer's standards in that community, brought visitors from miles around. He also built quarters for some fifty or more slaves, among whom were blacksmiths, carpenters and shoemakers whose duty it was to supply the plantation with necessities along their special lines.

LaGrange, which he named for LaFayette's estate in France, was built upon his desmesne, and the present site of the courthouse was donated by him for that purpose. He also gave the ground for the old Female Seminary, no longer existing.

Stories are told of strolling Indians around "Spring Hill," which caused much apprehension at the time, but no serious trouble ever ensued. Many a night the family fell asleep to the distant howling of wolves.

Among the frequent visitors to this home and family were such men as president Zachary Taylor and John J. Crittenden.

President Taylor, President James Madison and William Berry Taylor were children of first cousins, all having been the great-grandsons of Col. James Taylor, II., and wife, Martha Thompson of King and Queen and Orange counties, Virginia.

Upon one of Zachary Taylor's visits he escorted Betsy, one of the daughters of "Spring Hill" to Frankfort to the first Assembly Ball ever held there. They rode through on horseback, a distance of over thirty miles, she carrying her ball gown in saddlebags.

In an account of this home and family, some mention is due old Mr. Abraham Hapstonstall, a splendidly trained surveyor, who was previously for many years associated with Hancock Taylor in vast surveys of early Kentucky. In May, 1774, Hancock Taylor accompanied by his kinsman, Willie Lee, and Abraham Hapstonstall, were making surveys in Kentucky, near the present site of Louisville. Governor Dunmore was in what is now Ohio, and finding an Indian war pending, sent expresses of warning to Daniel Boone and the others, but Hancock Taylor delayed too long, and in an encounter, Taylor was severely wounded. One of the party attempted to cut out the ball with his pocket knife, but not succeeding and seeing that the wound was a serious one, Taylor was borne off on a litter by Lee and Hapstonstall, hoping to reach Virginia for proper attention, but he died on the way and was buried by Lee and his faithful friend Hapstonstall, who carved his name on a stone with a tomahawk. He afterwards return and identified the grave.

Hancock Taylor's will, made shortly before dying, left among other bequests to Willis Lee and Hapstonstall, two-thirds of his lands lying on the Western Waters, and the remainder of his vast estates to his two brothers, Colonel Richard and Captain Zachary Taylor, father and uncle of the President. This will dated the 29th of July, 1774, was the first legal document except surveys ever executed in Kentucky. It was probated in Orange Co., Va. A copy is now in the Kentucky Historical Society rooms, Frankfort, Ky. Many years thereafter, Mr. Hapstonstall came as an assistant to William B. Taylor, where he lived, a valued friend to the end of his days, and was laid to rest in the spacious family burying ground at "Spring Hill."

Here were reared a large family of sons and daughters: The Bible record of William Berry Taylor and Susanna Harrison Grayson Gibson follows below, with marriages supplied by the compiler of this article.

William Taylor, born 26 Feb., 1769. Married Susanna H. Gibson, 26 Nov., 1795. Ceremony by the Rev. Nathaniel Sanders.

Susan Harrison Gibson Taylor, born Nov. 26, 1775. Children:

Ann Berry Gibson taylor, b. May 10, 1798. (Married Thomas Throckmorton Barbour, one son and three daughters.)

Mary Berry Taylor, b. Feb. 7, 1800. (Married William Todd Barbour, four sons and one daughter.)

Elizabeth Coats Taylor, b. Jan. 28, 1802. (Married William Willett, M. D., no issue).

Francis Madison Taylor, b. June 16, 1804. (Died unmarried.)

William Berry Taylor, b. Sept 7, 1806. (Died young.)

John Gibson Taylor, b. July 25, 1810. (Married Oretta Barnes, no issue.)

Susan Harrison Taylor, b. April 5, 1815. (married William Gibson, one daughter.)

Sarah Francis Taylor, b. April 5, 1815. (Married Edmund Taylor Berry, six sons and three daughters."

Matilda Catherine Taylor, b. April 30, 1820. (Married Robert Mallory, three sons and five daughters.)

William Willett Taylor, b. March 4, 1823. (Married Alice Sandford, three sons and five daughters.)

John Gibson Taylor was for many years Judge of Henry County and also Representative from the county in the Legislature in 1839.

In the division of the large estate of Major Taylor, Matilda, the wife of Hon. Robert Mallory, member of Congress, was allotted the farm adjoining the homestead, and her home, "Oak Knoll," was also noted for its hospitality for many years.

"Spring Hill," the homestead, was allotted the youngest son, William Willett, whose children continued to reside there until the recent sale to Mr. Glover. Among the children of William Willett Taylor and his wife, Alice Sandford, was the late Judge Sandford Taylor, who long held judicial and clerical offices in Oldham County.

Six other descendants of the old pioneer of "Spring Hill" having held military records, were two grandsons, Surgeon William Berry, a Major in the U. S. A., 1861, and Rear Admiral Robert Mallory Berry, U. S. N. Though retired in 1908, in 1918 he was recalled to active service and appointed in command of a naval unit of over five hundred students, which he organized at Ann Arbor, Michigan. Admiral Berry made two relief expeditions to the Arctic. The first in 1874 as Watch Officer on board the Tigress, commanded by Captain James A. Greer, U. S. N., in search of the exploring vessel Polaris, of Captain Hall's expedition. And again in 1881, when from many volunteers, he was selected to command the Jeannette Relief Expedition, fitted out by the U. S. Government in accordance with an act of Congress which provided that the officers and crew of the Rodgers should be selected solely from volunteers.

The Jeannette commanded by Captain George W. LeLong had been lost. Lieutenant Berry took command of the Rodgers at Mare Island Navy Yard, where the vessel had been equipped and fitted for Arctic service, it having previously been used as a whaling ship. He sailed from there for St. Michaels, Alaska, then to Petropavlosk, Kamchatka, getting fuel, dogs, and food; from there to St. Lawrence Bay, thence through Behring [sic] Straits into the Arctic Ocean. To govern them on their search, they had to depend largely upon letters of Captain DeLong furnished by his wife.

Upon reaching Wrangle Land, Berry and three other men climbed a mountain 2,500 feet high, and from its summit he had the discovery that Wrangle Land was not as had been supposed, a very extensive land, reaching well towards the North Pole, but an island not exceeding one hundred and fifty miles in contour. The name has been changed to Wrangle Island, and the summit named Berry Peak.

They steamed down the coast of Siberia and anchored in St. Lawrence Bay for winter quarters. On the 30th of November, the Rodgers caught fire in the forehold. A hard fight ensued lasting many hours, until the middle of the afternoon, when seeing that the fire could not be extinguished, and the density of the smoke had driven them above, boats were lowered to be filled with provisions. Owing to a succession of gales, which had defeated their plans by breaking up the young ice, and making the water almost impassable, they found themselves on shore with less than two months' provisions. The natives generously offered to share their huts, but for food they had to resort to frozen walrus meat and raw materials. After months of perilous searching, sleeping at night between reindeer skins thrown upon the snow, clad in the skins, and hauled by reindeer and dogs, it was not until they came to the mouth of the Koolym River, at Nishni Kolymsk, that they learned of the fate of DeLong and his crew, most of whom had perished by drowning or starvation, after the Jeannette had been crushed between icebergs. Melville, one of those who had made his escape, had found and buried DeLong's party, and joining Berry and Ensign Hunt of the Rodgers, who had left the crew in winter quarters until they could be sent for in safety, they traveled together across the Veryansk mountains, and finally into Russia. While in St. Petersburg, the Chamberlain of the Winter palace came to the hotel where they were stopping and delivered a message that the Czar

would receive them on the following day. They were received with much courtesy by the Czar and Czarina, who appeared deeply interested in their experience, inquiring into the treatment they had received through Siberia and Russia. This reception was followed by a luncheon, after which they were taken to see the grand display of fountain.

Admiral Berry married Mary Augusta Brady. Two great-grandsons of Major Taylor are James William Barbour, officer in the U. S. A., 1861, who was a son of William Edwin Barbour and Harriett Russell Hollingsworth, married Martha Wheeler, and Rear Admiral Hugh Rodman, U. S. N., K. C. B., who was Commander of the battleship division of the American Naval Fleet co-operating with the British Fleet in the World War; and who was on the 23rd of July, 1918, one of the two American naval officers who were decorated by King George of England. Admiral Rodman was made a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath. The Associated Press article was as follows:

"The investiture took place on board the flagship of the grand fleet.

The honors were conferred in acknowledgement of the part the American Navy played in the war. Upon the King boarding the American flagship, he was given a rousing reception. The Admiral and his staff welcomed the King, who was attended by Admiral Beatty and other officers. A guard of honor composed of American Marines saluted the royal visitor, while the band played the British National Anthem. The entire ship's crew was drawn up on deck, and after the Admiral had presented separately all of his officers, the King inspected the guard of honor and crew, showing keep appreciation of their smartness."

Admiral Rodman was also present when the German warships were surrendered to the Allied Navies. It took place on the 21st of November, 1918, at 9:30 a. m., thirty or forty miles east of May Island, opposite the Firth of Forth, off the coast of Scotland. Such a gigantic surrender has no precedent in naval history. The Commander-in-Chief of the grand fleet was Sir David Beatty, of the English Navy. His flagship was the Queen Elizabeth, which led the column; American warships fell in line. The American Battle Squadron including five dreadnaughts, commanded by Admiral Rodman, and operating a unit of the British Grand Fleet, participated in the passing of the German sea power.

Admiral Rodman was born and reared in Frankfort, Ky., and is the son of Hugh Rodman, M. D., and wife Susan Ann Barbour. He married Elizabeth Ruffin Sayre.

The two great-great-grandsons of Major Taylor are Samuel Sayre Rodman, Surgeon, U. S. N., who was in charge of a Base Hospital in Europe, son of Dr. Wm. Barbour Rodman and Virginia Sayre; married Margery Memminger; and Col. William Colston, Colonel of our First Kentucky Regiment in Louisville. He is a descendant of Mary Berry Taylor and William Todd Barbour.

William Berry Taylor was the seacond of fifteen children. Born in Virginia, 26 Feb., 1768, d. at "Spring Hill," Oldham Co., Ky., 2 Feb., 1836, married Susan Harrison Grayson Gibson, b. 26 Nov., 1775, d. 23 Feb., 1838 (daughter of Jonathan Gibson who d., Fauquier Co., Va., 1791, and his wife Susanna Harrison.)

He was the son of Lieutenant Jonathan Taylor, b. Orange Co., Virginia, 3 Dec., 1742, d. Clark Co., Ky., 1804; m. Jan., 1764, Ann Berry (daughter of Col. William Berry and Mary Pryor). Jonathan Taylor was a Lieutenant of a company in the Convention Guards in the Revolution, and was the third of the eleven sons of Col. George Taylor and wife, Rachel Gibson, 10 of whom served in the Revolution, nine as officers. Colonel George Taylor, b. 10 Feb., 1711, d. Orange Co., Va., 4 Nov., 1792; md. 28 Feb 1738 Rachel Gibson, b 4 May, 1717; d. 19 Feb., 1761 (daughter of Jonathan Gibson, d. Orange Co., Va., 1745, from accidental poison, thought to have been the brother of Bishop Edmund Gibson of London). George Taylor was appointed Colonel of Orange Co. Militia. Commission signed 18 July, 1755, and served in the French and Indian Wars. Burgess 1748-9, 1752-8; member of the Committee of Safety 1744-5; member of Convention 1775; Vestryman of the Church of England, and Clerk of Orange Co. for twenty-three years. His son James succeeded him in the position. George was a son of Colonel James Taylor, II., b. 1673, d. 23 Jan., 1729; m. 23 Dec., 1699, Martha Thompson, b. 1679 (daughter of Col. William Thompson and granddaughter of Sir Rodger Thompson of England, who served under Cromwell). Col. Taylor was Colonel of Militia of King and Queen Co., Va. He was a member of "The Knights of the Golden Horse Shoe," under Gov. Spottswood's Expedition. He was Surveyor General of the Colony of Va.; Burgess, King and Queen Co., 1702-14; Justice of the Peace. He died at "Bloomsbury," Orange Co., Va., at the home which he built in 1720, on an estate of ten thousand acres. It is about four miles from Orange courthouse, and the house, which is still standing, is in good condition. He was the only son of James Taylor, I., and first wife, Francis, who emigrated to America about 1758 from Carlisle, England. The home at which he lived and died is said to be in New Kent Co. He was a large landowner and prominent man in all affairs affecting the well-being of the colonies. He d. 1698; his first wife, Frances (surname unknown), died 1680; in 1682 he md. Mary Gregory from whom were descended such men as Edmund Pendleton, a Signer, and Senator John Taylor of Caroline, author of the famous Resolutions of 1798.

Taylor Glover Clore Henry LaFayette Crittenden Thompson Hapstonstall Lee Dunmore Boone Gibson Sanders Barbour Willett Barnes Berry Mallory Sandford Greer Hall DeLong Melville Hunt Brady Hollingsworth Wheeler Rodman Beatty Sayre Memminger Colston Pryor Cromwell Spottswood Gregory Pendleton Botetout-VA Winchester-Clark-KY Shelby-KY Louisville-Jefferson-KY Maysville-Mason-KY King_and_Queen-VA Orange-VA Frankfort-Franklin-KY OH Henry-KY MI AK Russia Siberia England Scotland Germany Fauquier-VA New_Kent-VA .

On this date I left my place of birth and father's residence for Kentucky, accompanied by Ensign William Clark of General Wayne's army. Colonel John Thruston, then of Kentucky near Louisville, had come to Virginia on business and we were to accompany him. Clark's father had removed to Kentucky near Louisville some years before and his son William had gone in to be placed at one of the colleges to finish his education, but the fame of his brother, General George Rogers Clark, had procured William a commission, and he had accepted it, and was about to return. We met and engaged to go in company. We got to Winchester , Va., about 100 miles from Midway, Fredricksburg, County, where we awaited the movements of our companion Colonel Thruston, who had business with his father, Colonel Charles Thruston of the Revolution. At this place we spent our time pleasantly and became acquainted with the Rev. Alexander Balmin, late a chaplain of the Revolution, whose wife was my relative, a daughter of my great uncle, Erasmus Taylor of Orange County, Virginia. Two sons of W. John Taylor, brother of Mrs. B., John and Gilbert were residing with the parson and going to school. I also renewed my acquaintance with my cousin Alice Steel, a daughter of a son of my uncle Francis Taylor, who had died in the Revolutionary War. She had resided in our family some years previous. She was a only child and had lost her mother when an infant. Mr. S. was a respectable mechanic, a hatter by trade. In about a week we set out from Brownsville, passing through what is the valley, the most fertile upland I had ever seen. This valley is about 40 miles wide, and is considered the best wheat and meadow lands in Virginia. Winchester was at this time a handsome inland town of I suppose 2000 inhabitants on the waters of the Potomac River. The road passes over the Allegheny Mountains, Laurel Ridge, and Cumberland mountains, through the southwest corner of Maryland, then through the southwest part of Pennsylvania, a very rough road. After we struck the mountain region we fell into the Braddock road from Port Cumberland to Brownsville on the East bank of the Monongahela, then generally called Red Stone Old Fort, from a stockade fort built at the mouth of a creek of that name, putting into the river at the lower end of the town, of about 100 or 150 inhabitants,- passing over General Braddock's grave in the road at what is called Little Meadows, there Braddock died on the retreat of his army after his defeat on the East side of the Monongahela about 7 miles from Pittsburg, in the year 1756. I think General Washington, then Colonel W., was sent by the Governor of Virginia to Pittsburg, a year or two after Braddock's defeat , as I understand, to demand the Commandant of the Post, held by the French and Indians, a surrender of the post to the arms of his Britannic Majesty. On his return Washington was pursued and threw up a hasty defense at the Little Meadows, was besieged, defended himself for several days, and it was agreed between the two contending armies that Washington should retire with his command unmolested, which I think was 400 strong. He made his report to Governor Dunmore which was before the Virginia Assembly with his journal. For his good generalship he received a vote of thanks from that body, and was raised to a high pitch of military reputation, and no doubt it lead to his appointment as Commander-in-Chief of the American army which achieved our glorious revolution.

General James Taylor, 1847.

Keturah Moss Leitch was born on 11 Sep 1773 at Goochland Co., VA. She died on 26 Jan 1866 at Newport, Campbell Co., KY, at age 92.

The four known children of General James10 Taylor and Keturah Moss Leitch all born at Newport, Campbell Co., KY, were as follows:

173. Zachary10 Taylor (Richard9, Zachary8, James7, James6, John5, Thomas4, Thomas3, Rowland2, John1); born 24 Nov 1784 at Montecello, Orange Co., VA;180 married Margaret Smith, daughter of Walter Smith and Margaret Mackall, 21 Jun 1810 at Jefferson Co., KY;181 died 9 Jul 1850 at Wash. DC at age 65.182

Zachary was a Member of the "Aztec Club of 1847" aka "The Military Society of the Mexican War" (1847).

He was also a Hereditary Member of the Society of the Cincinnati" (1783).

He was a Member of the "General Society of Mayflower Descendants (1897)".

Zachary Taylor remained on his father's plantation until 1808, in which year (May 3) he was appointed First Lieutenant in the 7th Infantry, to fill a vacancy occasioned by the death of his older brother, Hancock. Up to this point he had received but a limited education. [Copy from reproduced material from "Presidents of the United States", as collected by Bobbye Miniard.] He fought in the Indian Wars all over the United States. He commanded troops in Corpus Christi, TX. and later in Mexico against General Santa Anna. He was in possession of the Rio Grande Valley until November 1847. He was nominated by the Whig Party for President in June 7, 1848. Zachary Taylor was the 12th President of the United States, from 1849 to 1850, and he died one year and 4 months in office.

Margaret Smith was born on 21 Sep 1788 at Calvert Co., MD.183 She died on 18 Aug 1852 at East Pascagoula, Jackson Co., MS, at age 63.184

The five known children of Zachary10 Taylor and Margaret Smith were as follows:

219. Susan Thornton10 Glassell (Elizabeth9Taylor, Erasmus8, James7, James6, John5, Thomas4, Thomas3, Rowland2, John1); born circa 1835;185 married Colonel George Smith Patton;186 died 1883.187

Colonel George Smith Patton was born on 26 Jun 1833 at Fredricksburg, VA.188 He died in Sep 1864 at Battle of Winchester, VA, at age 31.189 He was in the Class of 1852 at Virginia Military (V.M.I.).

The only known child of Susan Thornton10 Glassell and Colonel George Smith Patton was:

227. Ambrose Powell10 Hill (Ann9Powell, Ambrose8, Sarah7Taylor, James6, John5, Thomas4, Thomas3, Rowland2, John1); born circa 1785 at Culpepper Co., VA; married Francis Twyman 9 Feb 1807 at Madison Co., VA;190 died circa 1858.

The seven known children of Ambrose Powell10 Hill and Francis Twyman were as follows:

235. Edmund10 Pendleton (Edmund9, John8, Mary Bishop7Taylor, James6, John5, Thomas4, Thomas3, Rowland2, John1); born 18 Apr 1774 at Caroline Co., VA;191 married Lucy Nelson 16 May 1798;192 died 23 Jan 1847 at age 72.193

The only known child of Edmund10 Pendleton and Lucy Nelson was:

Return to Index

Return to Taylor Family

Return to Surname List

Return to Jenkins Connection

Please send e-mail to: dmjenkins@iolinc.net
Created with The Master Genealogist for Windows on 22 Jul 2002 at 10:12:21.